December 2018 Moms

Weekly Randoms | 8/20-8/25

Re: Weekly Randoms | 8/20-8/25

• I can't speak to the differences between newborn vs infant care classes. But in general, I think classes are good because many of us will be feeling overwhelmed while we're in the hospital postpartum. I liked the feeling of having a "foundation" going into it all. (Like I said, info overload junkie. I took my WTE book to the hospital with me.)
    We had to do a little crash course before being discharged. The nurse went through a bunch of papers with us and we filled out a questionnaire/lil quiz and signed off that we did so. It was a whirlwind though. 
  • 6 hours of birthing class sounds like more than enough!  Nature (and your medical team) takes over at a certain point!  My hospital offered other classes too, like breastfeeding classes, newborn care, car seat safety, and CPR, all of which I found useful (especially as a FTM).

@AGK2015 – that is how I understand the COBRA loop hole to work as well (and probably why the premium is so high!) - you can elect the retroactive coverage on the last day.  I think your plan is a solid one.  Just make sure to calendar that last day everywhere!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @coybig Oh geez. Our sump pump broke in our last home and it was by far the most unsexy and least favorite purchase I've ever had to make. :D Glad the damage is minimal for you! 
  • KatzaliaKatzalia member
    edited August 2018
    @AGK2015 as long as you think you won’t have appts or rx you need, and have the info on getting it set up handy and ready to go if needed, it’s a reasonable risk. We did that last summer for a short gap, and definitely saved some $$$. 
  • @tumbleweed-1  I have also worked with infants in the past and have lots of babysitting experience. I did not find the class to be that helpful, other than the infant CPR and choking portion. Mostly, I liked the handouts and it gave me piece of mind to have them posted in case something happened. 
  • @tumbleweed-1 I was so overwhelmed and weirded about about breastfeeding that I didn't allow myself to look ANYTHING up until I took the class. I went in with a blank slate and loved all the information I got.  The hospital I delivered at was a "fed is best", so while they taught all the techniques of BFing, they told us we weren't failures if we ended up using formula.   As for the baby care class, I think you should be fine without it.  I, personally, needed it because I had rarely handled a baby and didn't know wth I was doing, lol.
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• @tumbleweed-1 I don’t know if there are differences between the 2 classes, but I do remember there being newborn specific info in the class. Also though, we had zero baby experience and I’m one who likes information overload. I’d just rather have it than not. 

Also, I found it SUPER helpful to have dh go to the BF class with me. He learned a lot and remembered some things that I didn’t. It was nice having a backup memory and partner who was in the know so that if I got frustrated he could help talk me down. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • I never really understood infant classes. I guess I always thought it came naturally to people and they would just figure it out? One of the Bradley classes focused on how to hold babies and it was legit the most awkward thing I've been through. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • @westcoastfoodie Yes to having DH go to breastfeeding class!!! I needed someone rational at 4am to remember some of the logistics! 
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• @westcoastfoodie I am so glad that H came with me to the breast-feeding class. Before hand, he thought it was just a natural thing that happened and would not be any work, but after sitting through the class, he realized how much work it etails and was a lot more understanding and supportive, as a result.
  • runrinserepeat I was one of those people that needed an infant care class.  Both DH and I are the babies of our families and had zero experience handling an infant. Neither of us had ever even changed a diaper!  

+1 to having DH at all the classes!  The first few weeks are HARD and it is helpful to have another brain to rely on for recollection
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Last time around we took a general birth class (just by the hospital and they went over the basics for vaginal delivery, inductions, c sections, etc.), then an infant CPR/choking class and a breastfeeding class. The general class was the most helpful, especially knowing the basics of different scenarios, in case our ideal didn't happen. The breastfeeding class was...okay. It was hosted by a nurse who was not very knowledgeable at all (I mentioned this before somewhere but she said breastfeeding was birth control! Um, please guys, do not rely on breastfeeding for birth control!) and the CPR class was hosted by a guy who I am pretty sure had PTSD and *TW death** shared a wildly inappropriate story from his Iraq war medic days about doing CPR on what he later realized was a headless corpse. (No, I am not making this up!) end TW**

So uh, this time around, I think I may brush up on the infant CPR and choking (with a different instructor!) Choking is actually the main thing I want to go over because I have watched my DD positively *inhale* food, I swear, without even trying to chew, and I am still nervous about that, but otherwise I think I'm good. There are some excellent resources breastfeeding wise online, like videos of different holds, and I think I'll just revisit those. But I definitely think there's value in the classes as a FTM, just to get an overview of what to expect. Like, until taking the breastfeeding class I had NO IDEA how often newborns had to feed and how long it took. I was in shock, but at least I was in shock a couple of months before, not like, once I had just birthed a baby, haha.
  • LMAO @echo-charlietango Yep! I like to go into things wholly unprepared and end up pleasantly surprised when they work out well  :D:D
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• @echo-charlietango I know you said no research today, but I just want to throw this sheet at you! I found it to be very informative last time around. And, um, I've never added an attachment like this so I'm interested to see what happens...
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • Also why am I getting choked up reading that sheet again? Geez, maybe I need to talk to someone... :#
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • @PensiveCrayon Well attached! I have the pdf saved and will look it over / memorize it tomorrow! Or today - I'm coming down from my Nutella high and might need a nap.
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • @PensiveCrayon what is that part about transition where it says, "the hardest and shortest part of labor is over" the shortest part? LOLsob not always. 

That PDF just reminds me how terrified I am to do this again. I'm scared of going med-free. I'm scared of getting drugs. I need a FF button or something.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • @runrinserepeat I think that’s why it was choking me up. It’s SO INTENSE, and reading it puts me back there all over again. We can do this! No matter which path we choose, our babies will make it out and we’ll forget all about the pain once again ;)
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • @echo-charlietango Please enlighten me! What are PP needs for hospital bags.
    @PensiveCrayon I cry still every time I talk about my labor/ c-section experience with DS. My H thinks I’m nuts!
    @runrinserepeat I’d love to experience the short part of labor this time. Apparently my body and baby did not get that memo last time.
  • @katy0990 *cracks knuckles* So far I am planning on packing
    • warm socks with tread
    • fleece blanket
    • PP girdle or similar wrap
    • peri bottle (in case the hospital doesn't supply one)
    • shampoo & my other travel toiletries
    • Depends (for sleeping, maybe daytime use too because I super duper hate pads)
    • Panties that I don't mind throwing away
    • Dermoplast
    • stool softener
    • nipple shields
    • Going home outfits - yoga pants and hoodie for me, something tiny and clean for wee man

Anniversary
  • @echo-charlietango a few other items to consider:
    • Your own pillow 
    • breast feeding pillow (if you plan to breast feed) 
    • many snacks
    • cell phone charger / extension cord
    • water bottle (why do hospitals insist in giving you the smallest cups when you're SO thirsty?!)
  • hkomhkom member
    edited August 2018
    Do we need a hospital bag thread?  I would tend to say it might be too early for that, but if I get out of here next week, packing my bag is probably one of the first things I'm going to do.  I was really lucky last week that we had just gotten back from a road trip, so all H had to do was grab the bag I had just taken with me and/or clean the dirty stuff from over the weekend and bring that to me.

BabyFruit Ticker

• @kristah2 Yes, certainly planning on those things too! I was thinking about my water bottles this morning when I couldn't sleep, and considering buying some energy gel for labor snacks if I need energy but can't eat proper food. I sure hope I don't puke all over the place during labor :disappointed:

Anniversary
  • katy0990katy0990 member
    edited August 2018
    @echo-charlietango  I feel really dumb right now. I read PP hospital bag and was thinking it was some sort of postpartum medical thing instead of a pad. Honestly I have no idea where my mind went. I need a nap!  :D:#
    Just personal preference, but I would not worry about buying any underwear. The mesh underwear they give you at the hospital is amazing. We swiped a bunch and I rewashed and wore that for weeks afterward. 
    Also,  If you want to take your nipple shields go for it, but I would not tell them that you brought them because at least at my hospital, the LC will give them to you.  I probably sound really cheap right now ha ha, but I was given nipple shields, extra pump parts, and a manual breast pump all because I asked for them and once used they have to trash them.
    @kristah2 That is annoying about the water bottle! I got a really nice one with a straw when I had DS. My H has since stolen it and I am really looking forward to being given another one this time!
  • @echo-charlietango I'm a puker when I'm in labor, but both times they were able to give me oral zofran, which solved the problem for me. IME, by the time you get to the puking stage, you're not really interested in eating anyway. We had food, but even after the zofran kicked in, at most I might have had some gatorade at DH's insistence. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • @katy0990 *cracks knuckles* So far I am planning on packing
    • warm socks with tread
    • fleece blanket
    • PP girdle or similar wrap
    • peri bottle (in case the hospital doesn't supply one)- I was able to swipe two from the hospital for each bathroom at my house
    • shampoo & my other travel toiletries
    • Depends (for sleeping, maybe daytime use too because I super duper hate pads) -I promise you'll love the mesh panties. TMI- but you'll be surprised at what is coming out of your whohah 
    • Panties that I don't mind throwing away - see above, use the panties!
    • Dermoplast - hospital supplied this, and as I was nearing the end of my stay I asked for more, because they can't take it back once you open it
    • stool softener - my hospital gave me some immediately post partum, and had me pick up a prescription of it
    • nipple shields - might wanna bring a pacifier too, hospital won't give us one of those
    • Going home outfits - yoga pants and hoodie for me, something tiny and clean for wee man
    kristah2 said:
    @echo-charlietango a few other items to consider:
    • Your own pillow 
    • breast feeding pillow (if you plan to breast feed) 
    • many snacks - our hospital does well with providing food and has a room with gatorade, turkey sandwiches and some snacks which I was able to get because dinner service was over when I finally moved to my room after delivery.
    • cell phone charger / extension cord
    • water bottle (why do hospitals insist in giving you the smallest cups when you're SO thirsty?!) - I had a huge cup they gave me, and the good crunchy ice
    Everything I think is personalized for each hospital, and I put my edits in the boxes.

@hkom I think a hospital bag thread is a fantastic idea.  Some of us are nearing the third trimester, and it would be good to know what to bring, so that in the event you do need to go, at least you'll know what you want to bring.
  • KatzaliaKatzalia member
    edited August 2018
    @hkom Agree on the hospital bag thread. I am still 4 months from due date but that doesn’t stop me wanting to have stuff organized and done *now.* 

• maureenmcemaureenmce member
    edited August 2018
    Random hospital stuff tip - our hospital last time gave me a couple of pairs of socks with grippy things on the bottom and I LOVED them. Definitely take those home with you, if you get them! Especially if you have hardwood or laminate floors, they make you feel so much steadier on your feet in the middle of the night walking around with a lil newborn in arms those first few days.
  • @hkom I think a hospital bag thread would be great!

I agree on using the mesh panties they give you...take ALL THE THINGS they give you!  I went home with extra panties, witch hazel pads, peri bottles, crotch spray (can't remember the name of it  :D), diapers, pacifiers, hats for DD, baby shampoo and lotion, hairbrushes and combs for her, little blue tubs for her sponge baths and probably more shit I can't remember.

I think I saw @echo-charlietango mention in her list a PP girdle/wrap.  For those that have used them, what brand did you use?  I didn't use one with DD, but I want to order one this time.  I've been looking at a Bellefit.  Anyone have any rave reviews on Bellefit?  
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• @clbness I am a huge advocate for Bellybandit!! 
  • @echo-charlietango I'm a puker when I'm in labor, but both times they were able to give me oral zofran, which solved the problem for me. IME, by the time you get to the puking stage, you're not really interested in eating anyway. We had food, but even after the zofran kicked in, at most I might have had some gatorade at DH's insistence. 
    I throw up in labor too. It’s my final sign that tells me it’s real. I try to keep going through through the contractions until I’m at that stage. For both deliveries I’ve been out and about (1st on my way to Buy Buy Baby, 2nd at Lowe’s Home Improvement) and taking breaks as needed to breathe. Then I’ve realized how nauseous I was, gone home showered, called the doc and went to the hospital. They admitted me both times. 
  • ...Mama Strut by Pelv-ICE (?) because I know they'll bill my insurance. So, why not?
    Tricare covers Mama Strut?! Ooooo. 

Anniversary
  • @PensiveCrayon if you don’t want to lug it to the hospital, I would check and ask if they have birth balls.  Mine had a variety of sizes of regular balls and peanut shaped ones.
  • @katy0990 I know they do have balls but the doulas say they’re saggy blue balls and recommend we take our own :lol:

@echo-charlietango Yes! Just go to the website, print off the RX for the doctor to fill out, send it in, and they apparently do the rest!
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • @PensiveCrayon Well that’s no good. At least you know in advance. I would have been pissed if I showed up laboring and all they had were lame saggy balls! Also, lmao at saggy blue balls  :D:D