January 2019 Moms

UO (unpopular opinion) 7/5

Re: UO (unpopular opinion) 7/5

• @wkuandrea, there's totally a time and place where scolding other people's kids is ok. I did it once when I saw a teenager carving in a tree, and I whipped my car around and pulled into someone's driveway when 2 boys threw a rock at my car. 
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• Loading the player...
  • @wkuandrea I wish more people would do this. Especially when it comes to being cruel for the sake of a video. 
    married 7.11.09
    Me: 31 DH: 36
    DD (14) and DS (11) adopted from US Foster care December 2016
    BFP April 24, 2018 | EDD December 29, 2018
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I don't know if this is UO or not, but I don't mind buying things stereotyped for girls/boys, but I will buy toys/items that are for either gender so she can get a variety of exposure. But a pink play house? No big deal. Pink items? Fine. Girly clothes or toys? Yup.
    If baby#2 now is a boy, though..too bad, lol he's using DD's old pink and purple bibs, girly receiving blankets, and toys..because they're perfectly fine to use and we only use them in the house anyway lol
    The only time I have an issue with gendered items is when someone tells a little boy “that’s for girls!” or vice versa. 

But when we go look at the toys at big box stores I have never guided my little guy towards anything specific, but he completely skips over any aisles with “girl” stuff and goes straight to guns, trucks and dinosaurs. I think it’s mainly just his preference but also part of it is probably my MIL and my own mom. I’ve caught them telling him certain things are “for girls.” He also has two girl cousins and my MIL always buys them things gendered. Even freakin bubble wands and folding chairs. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't know if this is UO or not, but I don't mind buying things stereotyped for girls/boys, but I will buy toys/items that are for either gender so she can get a variety of exposure. But a pink play house? No big deal. Pink items? Fine. Girly clothes or toys? Yup.
    If baby#2 now is a boy, though..too bad, lol he's using DD's old pink and purple bibs, girly receiving blankets, and toys..because they're perfectly fine to use and we only use them in the house anyway lol

I don’t have a problem with pink stuff, I just don’t want every single thing she owns to be pink. Every single toy my MIL gives DD is pink, there are other colors too. 

The hardest thing I have with stereotyped toys is that people assume DD must like ‘x’ or doesn’t like ‘y’ because she’s a girl, instead of finding out what she actually likes. I also don’t put her in dresses hardly ever because she gets her feet caught in them when she tries to climb and play.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • KLS123 said:
    My UO is I think watching sports is such as waste of time, money, and brain power to memorize all those stats and plays. It seems so unproductive and sedative. If you *love* that sport so much then wouldn't be more fun to actually play it? Yes I get the ambiance of a crowded venue surrounded by people that are all uniting together and cheering for a "cause" can be, I guess, energetic? But watching it on TV? Or reading stats and replays online? nope.

I agree! My brothers are all big fans of a local college team and our state’s pro-basketball team. I just can’t get into it. Being a fan doesn’t count as having a hobby because you’re not actually doing something productive or worthwhile. One of my brother tried to relate it to how I really get into elections and supporting candidates. I get t-shirts and yard signs, and attend events. I told him it’s not the same things because when the candidates I support win it means good things for liberty and life, and when they lose, it’s a step away from this things. When his team wins or loses, nothing happens. No laws are affected, civil liberties aren’t affected; the public education system doesn’t suffer or benefit. Also, the things I do to help campaign actually can affect the outcome, Wearing face paint to a game or following some ritual does not actually affect his team in anyway.
  • KLS123 said:
    My UO is I think watching sports is such as waste of time, money, and brain power to memorize all those stats and plays. It seems so unproductive and sedative. If you *love* that sport so much then wouldn't be more fun to actually play it? Yes I get the ambiance of a crowded venue surrounded by people that are all uniting together and cheering for a "cause" can be, I guess, energetic? But watching it on TV? Or reading stats and replays online? nope.

My dad and older brother literally got on Twitter so they could more easily follow local sports team stats. I sort of understand how they get so into it since they both used to play, but they are truly obsessed. 

Around where I live people live and die by their college football loyalties. I know people with custom team decal bathroom tile, my brother has a whole room dedicated to his team, and my mom has game day specific dinner and serving ware. It’s crazy! 
    married 7.11.09
  • +1 for watching sports as being a waste of time. I don't mind going to a game. It can be kind of fun. But watching on TV and watching recaps - no thanks. 

I don't get it when people talk about the team they support as if they're on the team like, "we won more games last season than you guys did." Um, you didn't win anything. You just watched. 
  • @Julesf817 @pttomato @molosmiles @sparkymcgeee

I agree! I can't stand when people do that, too. One of DD's fav toys is a toy toolbox full of tools. She pulls them out almost daily. I got them for her when she showed great interest in trying to use DH's tools when he puts things together, and sure enough she loves them. I've done a lot of play therapy with young kids, and it's important to allow them to explore and develop their own interests, so when people try to limit their toys based on what they "should" like, that really gets me, too.

Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • My older DD is tends to be mostly girly girl. When she was younger, she was all about pink and purple and ruffles and sparkles. Now that she’s a little she still loves pink and sparkly things, but also loves leopard print and gold, and all things fancy. Most of her interests have been traditionally girly, too. She is a dancer (and a dang good one, if I do say so myself.) However, she also love shooting guns with H, and is also pretty good at that. I didn’t push her into any of those things (I was a tomboy, and a nerd; I did repelling and hiking, and history fair and debate club,) but I will support and encourage her no matter if it’s “girly girl”
    or not. I know some people who seem to discourage their daughters from
    pursuing “girly girl” things, as if there is something less desirable about them. I think that is ridiculous.

She is also strong and motivated is her pursuits, which I love!
  • I know some people who seem to discourage their daughters from
    pursuing “girly girl” things, as if there is something less desirable about them. I think that is ridiculous.
    I see this a lot and also felt it myself at different times in my life. I try really hard to fight this instinct, I don’t want DD to feel like it’s bad to be girly if that’s what she wants. Right now she tends towards more “rough and tumble,” roll in the mud type play but she likes some girly stuff (like sparkles) and some not girly stuff. And since she’s almost two I’m sure it will continue to change. I just don’t like the assumptions of what she “should” or “shouldn’t” like or “all girls are” whatever instead of seeing her for who she is.
  • Jeez - apparently my super late UO is that I LOVE meal delivery services. 

Reasons they’re awesome:
    1. They may not be cheap but they ARE cheaper than take out or going to a restaurant.
    2. I don’t have to think about or plan dinner for the week.
    3. They get me to try food that’s out of my comfort zone.
    4. I don’t have to buy big jars of some random ingredient I would never use again.
    5. I cook more and learn more about cooking and things that pair well together.
    Me: 28 DH: 26
    Married: November 2015  3 
    TTC#1: January 2016
    BFP #1: 5/02/16 - MC: 5/27/16
    BFP #2: 10/06/16: 6 - EDD: 06/20/17
    DD Born 06/23/17 3
    TFAS: April 2018
    BFP #3: 03/21/18 - CP
    BFP #4: 04/23/18 - EDD 01/04/19

• Uhm also yes to loving the baby stage. I will admit I used to complain when DD was a baby that I didn’t know what to ‘do’ with her and felt like I wasn’t stimulating her enough. But I had SO MUCH ME TIME. Now we’re just very newly into the toddler phase but I can’t take my eyes off of her, and when I do ‘me’ things like looking at my phone I feel guilty that I’m not on the floor playing with her.
    DD Born 06/23/17 3

•  and when I do ‘me’ things like looking at my phone I feel guilty that I’m not on the floor playing with her.
    THIS. I am really struggling with guilt for not playing with her when I'm on my computer/phone. However, I think that not being totally engaged with them all the time is actually really important for their development. I want my daughter to be able to entertain herself and use her imagination, and she really can't practice that if I am always there entertaining her. That said, I'm still struggling to find the right balance of not playing with her (even if she is whining at me to play) and not ignoring her/being disengaged. 
  • Mandamay1414 said:
    That said, I'm still struggling to find the right balance of not playing with her (even if she is whining at me to play) and not ignoring her/being disengaged. 
    I find this hard. The only way to get DD to play independently at home is to pretty much ignore her (and even that doesn’t always work) but I feel bad for ignoring her.
  • pttomato said:
    Mandamay1414 said:
    That said, I'm still struggling to find the right balance of not playing with her (even if she is whining at me to play) and not ignoring her/being disengaged. 
    I find this hard. The only way to get DD to play independently at home is to pretty much ignore her (and even that doesn’t always work) but I feel bad for ignoring her.
    Do you have a safe play space for her that is separate from your main living space? I find that my boys actually play really well individually if they are in their room upstairs (stocked with toys and books, supervised with a video monitor) or in the backyard (kid friendly and I have a giant window to watch them) because they can't see me. I use this tactic (or the dreaded tv babysitter) if I need to get a chore done or dinner made.

I agree that my 3 year old is way more difficult now than he ever has been! So much talking, so much discipline, and so exhausting. I think I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel though, thank goodness.
  • kns1988 said:
    my UO: I'm totally ok with when husbands say "we're pregnant." It just never bothers me, but I know a lot of people hate it. 
    Haha I don't really mind either! I used to think it was SO dumb when other people said it (either partner) but I kinda get where it's coming from now. Some husbands get super involved in the pregnancy and make it more of a team effort. Obviously I'm the only pregnant one, but it's kind of a joint effort in that my husband is doing more with meals and chores, going to the appointments, reading books etc, so I kinda like to imply that he is experiencing a shift at this stage too. So I've been saying something like "We're going to have a baby!" Factually I can't bring myself to say we're both pregnant (we are not), but I get what people mean.

If you're in the depths of morning sickness or 41 weeks pregnant, there is no "we're pregnant" though, lol.
  • kmvisioli said:
    Do you have a safe play space for her that is separate from your main living space? I find that my boys actually play really well individually if they are in their room upstairs (stocked with toys and books, supervised with a video monitor) or in the backyard (kid friendly and I have a giant window to watch them) because they can't see me. I use this tactic (or the dreaded tv babysitter) if I need to get a chore done or dinner made.

She can play in her room but generally wont unless I ignore her and do something boring like sit and read a book. She’s really interested in everything I do so otherwise she follows me around trying to “help.” We don’t have a backyard. We do go outside a lot and she plays independently well outside, but she still needs to be closely supervised.
  • @Mandamay1414 Yes the balance is so hard! And I’m not sure I’ll ever feel that I’m hitting it. I spend a lot of time with her in general but I never feel like I spend enough of it actually on the floor playing. And I’m lucky in the fact that she’s actually a great independent player. So I feel like I almost abuse that and let her play on her own (with me in the room - she’s only 12 months) too much.
    DD Born 06/23/17 3

• kns1988 said:
    my UO: I'm totally ok with when husbands say "we're pregnant." It just never bothers me, but I know a lot of people hate it. 
    Haha I don't really mind either! I used to think it was SO dumb when other people said it (either partner) but I kinda get where it's coming from now. Some husbands get super involved in the pregnancy and make it more of a team effort. Obviously I'm the only pregnant one, but it's kind of a joint effort in that my husband is doing more with meals and chores, going to the appointments, reading books etc, so I kinda like to imply that he is experiencing a shift at this stage too. So I've been saying something like "We're going to have a baby!" Factually I can't bring myself to say we're both pregnant (we are not), but I get what people mean.

If you're in the depths of morning sickness or 41 weeks pregnant, there is no "we're pregnant" though, lol.
    I get when people say “we’re pregnant,” but at our house, at least, it is far from a joint venture. H is great at supporting me through childbirth, and he’s a great dad. But he is not awesome at being supportive during pregnancy. He claims it’s tough for him because he has to “put up” with me while I’m pregnant. But he hardly helps out extra at all. And he gets really irritated when I vent about anything pregnancy related, from puking, to feeling less sexy. 

So at out house, we are having a baby, but I am definitely the only one pregnant. 
  • @libertymomrn It makes me see red when men say pregnancy is hard on THEM. Omfg, they have noooo idea. 
  • I get when people say “we’re pregnant,” but at our house, at least, it is far from a joint venture. H is great at supporting me through childbirth, and he’s a great dad. But he is not awesome at being supportive during pregnancy. He claims it’s tough for him because he has to “put up” with me while I’m pregnant. But he hardly helps out extra at all. And he gets really irritated when I vent about anything pregnancy related, from puking, to feeling less sexy. 

So at out house, we are having a baby, but I am definitely the only one pregnant. 
    Yes, this. DH says it's so hard for him when I'm pregnant. Tell me again how hard it is for you while you sit there eating pizza while I try to find a low carb, lowish fat food that is somewhat appetizing to me right now and filling. Yes, it's his baby too, but I'm the one dealing with the challenges of a diabetic pregnancy.
  • emmaaaemmaaa member
    Sometimes I feel sorry for DH dealing with my mood swings while I'm pregnant. But I remind him that I'm the one who has to be around myself 24/7 and see how moody I am and not being able to stop. Like, he gets to walk away from me or go to work. I'm always with my craziness
    DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• jgil85jgil85 member
    Also another UO: I hate toy guns and will never let my sons have them. I'm not a fan of guns in general and I refuse to let them have toy guns around. 
  • I generally hate MLMs but over the years I have found 2 which I will accept party invitations to: Pure Romance & Tastefully Simple. And I'll probably even buy something when I'm there lol. The rest of it? No interest.

Me (28) & DH (35)
    Met 4/2010+Married 8/2014 
    TTC #1 August 2016BFP 10/2016= DD Born 6.23.17
    NTNP April 2018. BFP 5/2018 EDD 1.29.19 *Team Green*

• greenhillgirlgreenhillgirl member
    edited July 2018
    I hate MLMs too and get so many requests! jgil85  I get private FB messages from people I haven't spoken to in 10 years asking me to reconnect so they can tell me about a great opportunity.  :(

The one thing I did buy recently from my friend was Thieves cleaning concentrate in pouches and she sent me a glass bottle to mix it in with water. I'm a convert. It is all natural and cleans everything and smells good. Luckily I also saw they have it at my local health food store so no pyramid schemes needed.
  • jgil85 said:
    Also another UO: I hate toy guns and will never let my sons have them. I'm not a fan of guns in general and I refuse to let them have toy guns around. 
    I’m actually not sure whose opinion on this will be less popular; yours or mine. 

I believe that the right to bear arms is essential to maintaining a free country. My son and daughters have multiple toy guns, and I have no problem with it. We also have multiple real gun and take our children shooting up in the mountains regularly. They are taught gun safety and how to properly handle a firearm. They know to never point a gun at something they don’t intend to shoot. They know to always be aware of where the barrel of a gun is pointed even if they’re just carrying it over to the table. They know to remove the mag and clear the chamber of every gun after we’re done shooting. This coming year we’re planning to enroll the older 2 in the 4H children’s shooting club so that they can participate in competitions.
  • jgil85jgil85 member
    jgil85 said:
    I’m actually not sure whose opinion on this will be less popular; yours or mine. 

I believe that the right to bear arms is essential to maintaining a free country. My son and daughters have multiple toy guns, and I have no problem with it. We also have multiple real gun and take our children shooting up in the mountains regularly. They are taught gun safety and how to properly handle a firearm. They know to never point a gun at something they don’t intend to shoot. They know to always be aware of where the barrel of a gun is pointed even if they’re just carrying it over to the table. They know to remove the mag and clear the chamber of every gun after we’re done shooting. This coming year we’re planning to enroll the older 2 in the 4H children’s shooting club so that they can participate in competitions.
    Oh,  I have absolutely no problem with responsible gun ownership. I respect people who are responsible gun owners. 

We obviously live in very different parts of the country. I've grown up and lived in the city of Chicago and suburbs for pretty much my whole life. I've witnessed gun violence firsthand and just don't want to have toy guns for my kids to play with.
  • jgil85 said:
    Some friends of ours are huge gun enthusiasts, so naturally their kids have toy guns (including Nerf and rubber band guns that actually shoot a projectile of some type).  Their kids have to follow the same basic rules with their toy guns that they would with real guns - no pointing them at a person or anything they aren't allowed/ ready to shoot, keep fingers off triggers until they're ready to shoot, etc.  It seems like a fairly responsible way to teach gun safety from an early age, while avoiding risks like desensitization to violence, etc.  

• jgil85 said:
    I fully agree with not having toy guns. Mostly because I think it can be confusing for a kid to recognize the difference between the toy and the real thing. I feel the same thing about first person shooter games for kids... not appropriate. As someone who has been on the wrong end of a weapon more than once, guns of any kind aren’t something I want my children thinking about as a toy. 

My dad and most of my family are very enthusiastic about guns and gun ownership and they agree with me on this too. If my kids one day would like to learn about guns, I know they have a great resource in their grandfather for how to responsibly handle them. 
    married 7.11.09
  • AshVA said:
    jgil85 said:
    Some friends of ours are huge gun enthusiasts, so naturally their kids have toy guns (including Nerf and rubber band guns that actually shoot a projectile of some type).  Their kids have to follow the same basic rules with their toy guns that they would with real guns - no pointing them at a person or anything they aren't allowed/ ready to shoot, keep fingers off triggers until they're ready to shoot, etc.  It seems like a fairly responsible way to teach gun safety from an early age, while avoiding risks like desensitization to violence, etc.  
    This is what we do. DS has been taught from the beginning that you never point a gun at a living thing unless you intend to kill it and you only shoot approved targets. He just got his first air soft gun because he's been asking to go hunting and we want him to get used to something that can do damage before he does. 
    TW

M/C 06/09/2011
    DS 05/29/2013
    M/C 02/14/2017 
    M/C 06/05/2017 
    C/P 03/01/2018
    BFP 05/17/2018 EDD 01/27/2019 
  • I don't consider nerf guns the same as toy "guns". I just don't. I know in a literal since they are because hell, gun is in the name. But I don't think they look like guns, they don't get confused for real guns, etc. I just don't think of them that way I guess. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • I don't consider nerf guns the same as toy "guns". I just don't. I know in a literal since they are because hell, gun is in the name. But I don't think they look like guns, they don't get confused for real guns, etc. I just don't think of them that way I guess. 
    Yes; my son loves going to DartSide nerf gun arena, and having nerf gun wars with his dad or friends.

To those who are against all toy guns; does that include laser tag and places like DartSide for nerf guns?
  • I live in Canada, where there's no "right" to bear arms... And I'd say it hasn't really affected our freedom. Just my opinion.
    That being said, I don't really feel one way or another if the gun owner is responsible.
  • I'm all for responsible gun ownership. All of our guns are under lock and key and not accessible to children. My husband and I enjoy hunting, and we eat what we harvest. Now, with that being said, we do not allow toy guns in the house because we do not want our children to become confused.