Infertility

September 2018 IVF ER

Re: September 2018 IVF ER

• Yay!!! You're almost there @riathewolf :#
  • Loading the player...
  • @blackhottamales oh my goodness what great news!! Congrats! 
  • @blackhottamales - great news! Congratulations!!
  • @blackhottamales that's AWESOME!

@Bonniebonsall - i definitely had an abundance of EWCM, to the point that my RE actually noted it on an US.  He said it's because your estrogen is going so high with all the follicles.  I've also had a polyp removed, no idea on the size though.  *tw* After I had the removal, I had my only (ever) BFP that sadly ended in CP *end TW.  Anyway it made me feel like having the removal and d&c actually did something since I had never seen a BFP before.

excited for you @riathewolf
    TTC History in Spoiler
    Me: 29  DH:34
    TTC 21 cycles
    All TI cycles BFN (with letrozole, ovidrel, prometrium)
    Hysteroscopy + Polypectomy + D&C on 1/3
    IUI #1 February 6, BFP 2/21, CP 2/26
    IUI #2 March 14, BFN
    IUI #3 April 11, BFN
    IUI #4 May 11, BFN
    July 2018 IVF, developed lead follicle, converted to TI, BFN
    August/September 2018 IVF converted to freeze-all: 7 mature eggs; we fertilized 3 and froze 4. 3/3 fertilized and 1 blast!
    October 2018 FET-BFN
    November 2018 FET-TBD

• @riathewolf - I completely understand looking forward to ER just to get rid of the bloat and tenderness!! I was so happy they were out of my body. It's crazy how much that influences how you feel. Have you been drinking your Gatorade? It really does help a lot. Alternate that with Smart Water and the pain/swelling will ease up a bit.

@blackhottamales - 9 frozen!!! FABULOUS!!! That's such great news :)
  • @funkykey and @blackhottamales That is great you guys have embryos frozen! I hope you both get some PGS normal out of this round. 

• @blackhottamales great news!! I hope the 2WW is quick for you as well!!
  • @wishiwaspreggo I have! Sadly though my issue I think is more my Crohn's disease. Since I already have a lot of inflammation and issues down there, plus scar tissue from surgeries so it's all just pressing on each other. UGH. 

But that said, I'm officially triggering today!! And then ER on Wednesday. Lets do this!  
  • @blackhottamales 9 is amazing! Congrats! 

@zamora_spin How are you doing on stims?

Yay @riathewolf, gl on Wednesday :) When you said, "Let's do this!", it reminds me of:

People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• @suzycupcake Doing good - I saw in the IF thread you are feeling tired. So far I'm feeling good. Just got a call from my nurse and my E2 went from 46 last Thursday to 379 today - day 4 of stims. Originally was supposed to go in Wednesday for u/s and more bw but instead they are having me come in tomorrow because they may start the antagonist sooner than anticipated. 
  • @suzycupcake yaaaaas! Funny enough I am a cosplayer and dress as Scarlet Witch regularly 😂. Channeling her and Rey from Star Wars to get through this!!
  • @zamora_spin Glad to hear they are keeping a close eye on everything. Are you going to be taking Cetrotide as well?

@riathewolf One of my best friends is a major player. I wonder if you know her (Krystal Flores). Anyway, she used to talk about dressing me up for a con though I never did it. What do you like about it? Do you make your own costumes too?
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• BonniebonsallBonniebonsall member
    edited September 2018
    @mkr_0128 Same! The clinical fellow I had today was fantastic - so easy to talk to and friendly, but some of the other fellows / ultrasound techs come in and barely say a word which makes me feel uncomfortable and nervous to ask questions! I asked about it today during my US, and she took a closer look and said that she wasn’t convinced that it’s a polyp, and that it may just be a “disordered” area of the lining that grew funny. They’re going to take a closer look and discuss with the whole team, but moving forward with the fresh cycle vs transferring to frozen might just be a decision I’ll have to discuss with the doctor after my ER. 

@riathewolf Woohoo! Triggering tonight too with my ER also on Wednesday! And also feeling alllll the bloated and uncomfy feels. Good luck with your trigger shot! Pretty nervous about mine and probably going to watch about 30 videos on YouTube to prepare. 

@blackhottamales Congrats on your 9 embies!! That’s amazing! So happy for you and wishing you the best during your TWW! 

@wishing-and-hoping That makes total sense! The EWCM seems to be getting worse, and my E2 is rapidly climbing alongside it! And thank you for sharing your polyp experience. The doctor is not certain that’s what it is, so deciding to move forward with fresh or switch to frozen is going to be a game time decision made after my ER. 
  • @Bonniebonsall yes I totally get it!! Good luck with your trigger! Can't wait to hear your update post ER :) 
  • Wow!! Sounds great so far @zamora_spin!!  :)
  • *currently at work and over thinking, and have been wondering*

For any ladies that have done more than one cycle and were on the same protocol the following cycle- did anyone have notable increase in numbers as far as number of eggs retrieved/mature/fertilized/blasts? I realize we all get older with every cycle and chances are our numbers drop as we age, but have just been wondering! Also curious how long between your cycles :) 
  • That's great you have so many follicles growing, @zamora_spin! ER will be just around the corner :) Are you feeling it yet?
  • Well ladies... today is 5dp5dt. 

TW

I started peeing on sticks yesterday and I got a VVFL on a Walmart cheapie. Took a FRER last night and got a clear line. Triple-checked this afternoon with a Wondfo and I'm getting darker lines. So... I think that means I have to bid this thread farewell, right? Or can I stick around and cheer folks on? Or should I just lurk and lovetit? Either way, let me know. I don't want to step on anyone's toes here still cycling!!! And I'm not trying to be an AW, I just want to let you all know the outcome of my cycle and ask how to proceed from here.

• @zamora_spin your scan today really good.  How are you feeling?

@riathewolf GL tomorrow! can't wait to hear about it.  I found the whole process so interesting since i hadn't been in an "OR" type room since i was 12.  My biggest issue was bloating, the pain wasn't too bad, they gave me Tylenol and said 3 hours i could do Ibuprofen.  Then repeat every 3 hours as needed. I took the Ibuprofen and then i think i did Tylenol around 7pm and Ibuprofen so i would sleep well but nothing besides that.  

@Bonniebonsall keep us updated about the polyp and fx it doesn't affect your transfer date.

@wishiwaspreggo
    I don't mind you sticking around if you want to! I think it's helpful to have people answer questions.  

• Side note...
    I have to have to extra nurse because we had some insurance coverage but it requires this extra nurse i have to check in with.  most of the time that's fine.  But we had a call yesterday and I mentioned i had CD1 5 days after retrieval and she was like "oh...that's really early" and she's got me all messed up in my head.  I wish she had just kept her mouth shut.  When i called my clinic they said it was excellent that my cycle had started.  and I was feeling fine because of this community and @mkr_0128 also had hers start 5 days post retrieval.  I'm sure it's nothing but it's just irking me.  
  • @wishiwaspreggo congrats!! I hope things keep processing nicely :) I don't mind at all someone else to bounce questions off of and extra support is always encouraging! 

Hmmm @blackhottamales I wouldn't overly worry about it! My clinic knows how "early" I started and put me on BCP right away as appropriate and gave me all my dates and everything, they never mentioned anything negative about it being 5 days post ER.
  • I am having a night -_-. Apparently my body didn’t respond to the trigger shot. It happens in 1% of women....yay me. So I have a different one I have to take tonight and then we will see tomorrow if my follicles actually have eggs in them. Ugh. I’m trying not to stress out too much and stay positive but I’m really concerned this will all be for nothing. 
  • Also @wishiwaspreggo I am so happy for you!! And I think you’re good to stick around. You’re part of our little family here <3 
  • Ugh @riathewolf I'm so sorry! I didn't even know that could happen. How do they know your body didn't respond, from bloodwork? I think you are right to try to stay positive, but I totally understand being stressed out. We are all pulling for you!!!  <3
  • Thanks, y’all :) I’ll hang out and contribute to answer questions and offer my support.

@riathewolf Omg, I’ve never heard of that happening before!! I’ve heard of Cetrotide not working (again, 1%-rare) but not the trigger shot. What a mess, I’m so sorry. Hopefully the 2nd one will give you the boost you need. I’m curious to know, too, how they’d determine that. 
  • @mkr_0128 @wishiwaspreggo yeah it was from the blood work. I guess all the doctors at my clinic had to have a powwow because they’d never seen this. Luckily they had a donated trigger and gave it to me for free. Small favors! I will keep everyone updated on if it worked or not!
  • @riathewolf I’ll be thinking of you and hoping it works! Still blows my mind something like that could happen. Sounds like it blew your RE’s mind too.
  • @riathewolf - keeping fingers crossed for you!

@wishiwaspreggo - Congratulations! I say stay on until (at the very least) all is confirmed / you're through the 6 week U/S. Keeping FX for you! Great news!!!
    mkr_0128 said:
    *currently at work and over thinking, and have been wondering*

For any ladies that have done more than one cycle and were on the same protocol the following cycle- did anyone have notable increase in numbers as far as number of eggs retrieved/mature/fertilized/blasts? I realize we all get older with every cycle and chances are our numbers drop as we age, but have just been wondering! Also curious how long between your cycles :) 
    @mkr_0128 - I did my second cycle more than a year after my first cycle, with a lower AMH and had fewer eggs retrieved, but I still had the same number make it to blast. I actually had more embryos fighting at day 5 this time than last time, too. I did the same protocol, but a slightly different dosage.

Obviously, I don't have all the results yet re: PGS, but I keep thinking about it. My last cycle, my dosage was higher and I responded SO FAST to the medication, and then I had 3 failed transfers. I'm really hoping this cycle, because we "cooked them low and slow", we might get better results.

It took us a year between cycles for a couple of reasons: 
    • I had to wait for a polyp surgery/ D&C for a few months (insurance reasons, so frustrating)
    • We failed 3x transfers
    • The clinic was closed at Christmas
    • I had an ERA (took another cycle)
    Also, we'd made some financial commitments that meant we couldn't move forward with a second round right away, just financially. Had I known we'd fail 3 transfers, I might not have made those commitments, you know? But I guess hindsight is 20/20.

Before doing a second round, I spent a fair amount of time with calculators like this one: 
    https://www.sartcorsonline.com/predictor/patient

For me, the probability of live birth after 1 cycle is like 45% (seems low!) whereas after 2 it's like 65%. Other, similar, calculators have shown my odds of success with 1 cycle at 63% and 2 cycles it's like 85%. So I felt like, at least for me, it was worth it to try at least one more time, just given those stats.

AFM: still waiting on AF. Ugh. 

• Thinking of you @riathewolf!!

@funkykey Thank you so much for sharing!! I do hope this slightly different cycle works wonders for you  <3 it's so frustrating all the different factors that are involved and never really knowing what, if any, are the reason(s) for the outcomes we see at every step in the process. I totally get the finances part! It's so much money, and I feel like I don't let myself do other things (big and small), cause I'm so worried about how many cycles we may need and not being able to afford everything. Thank you for sharing the calculator, I will check that out! I know I'm jumping way ahead, but I feel like if my first FET doesn't work, I may try a second FET. If that doesn't work, I'm thinking before I use my last frozen, I may want to do another fresh round and hope for a few more to freeze. I just hope it doesn't take months and months in between attempts... My fear is that it will be 2 or 3 more years before I cycle again.

Keeling fingers crossed for AF to show up ASAP! 
  • @mkr_0128 - It's so much about the money! If money were no object or if we had a little more support, I'd probably do a third round right now. I just think about how hard it's been for me to get pregnant. If I do, then we have a baby, how hard is all this going to be 2 years from now if we want a second?

I read somewhere that only 3% of couples who are advised to do IVF actually do IVF, and (obviously) the key barrier is cost. I think about that statistic a lot, and I find it so heartbreaking. Some of the literature is so matter-of-fact, like: "Most couples will have success after 3 rounds." And I'm a little like: "Yeah, but who can make it to three rounds? That's like $70,000." That's a lot of money, and as much as I'm willing to sell our house for this, DH is like: "We still need somewhere to live, and we need to make sure we're comfortable when we retire."
  • @funkykey omg yes completely!  Wow 3%?? That's insane. If we weren't doing this through a military hospital, which has its cons for sure, we would barely be able to afford one round. I've always wanted 3 kids, but at this rate and cost, I'll be beyond thankful to have one. It's a shame we are all put in this situation and have to potentially alter our dreams on family size. I really hate it for every single person going through IF. My DH's favorite thing to point out is: "if we spend all our money on IVF, we aren't going to be able to afford the baby once it comes." Like I don't know that... But I'm willing to do everything I can to make this work, even if it means no vacations, no eating out, no extra expenses, etc.  I've even started to try to look into insurances that cover some of IF treatments, and would switch jobs if that's what I had to do to afford it. But it seems like that answer is not so obvious and more so depends on the company you work for and what specific policy they have with the insurance. So, I'm frustrated and striking out big time... 
  • @funkykey The finances are so hard. Yes, for us too, if money was no object we'd probably plan to do multiple ER's to bank embryos for a second child. I really wish it was covered more. I have asked my work to add IF coverage but I don't think they will any time soon. 
    @wishiwaspreggo I'm still feeling pretty good. I take a Tylenol like 30 minutes before we do the Gonal-F because I get a headache, and I think today I'm starting to be a little bloated but it's not terrible. My ovaries have been chatty since pretty much day one, like one hour after the first shot, but I'm starting to notice sensations more often and when moving around. I also am feeling the feels more starting yesterday afternoon, but so far it's manageable! When did you start to notice the bloat got bad? I'm not sure when I need to start chugging the electrolyte drinks instead of water (I generally drink a lot of water). Also -- 
    Congratulations! Excited for you! I don't mind if you stay and hang out! I think it would be good to keep pregnancy updates in spoilers in general, but other than that I think it's great if folks want to offer wisdom!
  • riathewolfriathewolf member
    edited September 2018
    Well it’s not good news today. They emptied five of my follicles and there were no eggs inside them. They’re hoping because my blood work looks better today, that that second trigger shot will do the trick and I have to go back in for another ER tomorrow. It’s also my 30th birthday and I’m honestly finding everyone wishing me to have a good day is making me just want to cry. 
  • @riathewolf Oh no! I’m so sorry for the bad news and that this is happening on your birthday. You are in my thoughts.
  • @riathewolf wishing you lots of luck tomorrow.  so sorry for the disappointing news today. *hugs*
    TTC History in Spoiler
    Me: 29  DH:34
    TTC 21 cycles
    All TI cycles BFN (with letrozole, ovidrel, prometrium)
    Hysteroscopy + Polypectomy + D&C on 1/3
    IUI #1 February 6, BFP 2/21, CP 2/26
    IUI #2 March 14, BFN
    IUI #3 April 11, BFN
    IUI #4 May 11, BFN
    July 2018 IVF, developed lead follicle, converted to TI, BFN
    August/September 2018 IVF converted to freeze-all: 7 mature eggs; we fertilized 3 and froze 4. 3/3 fertilized and 1 blast!
    October 2018 FET-BFN
    November 2018 FET-TBD

• I'm so sorry @riathewolf! I'm praying you get better news tomorrow  <3
  • @riathewolf I'm so sorry.  FX for tomorrow.  Please keep us updated.  

In regards to finances--it really does suck.  We found out in that MH's insurance had infertility coverage (limited but some) but the only way i could be on his insurance was by quitting my job.  So i quit and am doing some self employment work. It's a net "loss" for cash flow but not as significant if i wasn't working at all and my prior job was high stress so we decided if we were going to do this, let's do it right.