October 2018 Moms
Options

Questions 6/8

Re: Questions 6/8

• Options
    I called in once they were open, but my Dr and her nurses aren't in today. I talked to who was there, But since she isn't with my Dr she didn't know what was going on. She did call one of my nurses and they told her that Dr felt like I was dehydrated. My labs all came back fine, so I'm not anemic, it didn't sound like, just maybe dehydrated. 
    I'm still not sure about why Gatorade? I have talked to my Dr about how I have a hard time drinking water, so maybe this was to help me drink more. I don't like really sweet drinks and usually water down juice and such, so Pedialyte might not even be to terrible! :D
    DS 6/6/10
    DD 3/15/12
    DD 6/3/14
    #4 Due 10/26/18!
  • Options
    Propel water is flavored (no sugar) and has electrolytes. They sell it at Costco and most grocery stores. I like water but sometimes I need some flavor and the electrolytes are a plus! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like propel. 
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Like @chyvie said. I’ve been using the trimmer to keep it tame. I may need to up my game for the beach in two weeks and at the end of July.

ETA: @coffee-saur I know we’ve talked about the tightness before because I get it too. I definitely think hydration helps a lot! Usually when I feel it I chug a bottle of water and relax. 
  • Options
    My doctor recommended Gatorade when I had bad headaches. I was glad it didn't help because that is way too much sugar and if I'm going to splurge on sugar it's going to be something delicious! I got a bag craving for mint chocolate chip ice cream and I just ate it and it was amazing! But I always get random cravings for bad food, prego or not. I just try to only indulge once or twice a week.
  • Options
    rc-colarc-cola member
    edited June 2018
    +1 to trimming.

Ive been craving a few things I don’t normally eat. Mostly all the meat. And cheese sauce.  But no weird combos.

Question (out of curiosity): Does your work have a lactation room? Is it nice or a broom closet with a chair in it (that’s what mine is.) If no, are you going to ask for one?
  • Options
    @rc-cola I work in a hospital and they do have a lactation room. I have not personally been in it, but I have some co-workers that have used it and said it’s ok. I think there are 3-4 pumping “stations” (I call them that because they have actual large pumps in there that apparently work really well) but the problem is we are a very large hospital so there is often a line. Luckily, I have a private office so I will just close and lock my door when I pump. 

If I didn’t have that, I would be asking for a private room. I know my boss has made that accommodation before so they didn’t have to use their entire break time to wait in line to pump.
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • Options
    My office has two “privacy rooms.”  I have not been in either, as I had not had need of them.  However, they were both purpose built for lactating moms- even if they aren’t much larger than a broom closet.  I believe there is a chair, a counter and a small sink in each.  I’m hoping there is also a mini-fridge. 
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    The elementary school I work out does not have lactation rooms. Last time I pumped in a closet. Some teachers pump in their classrooms or in the small kitchen area. Schools are not lactation friendly...we have 15 extra minutes built into our contract for pumping, that’s barely enough time to setup and clean up.

ETA with DS I pumped until he was 11 months and nursed until 26 months. This time around I am considering only pumping until 6 months and then just doing have BM at home and formula at daycare. I loved nursing, but pumping was stressful. 
  • Options
    rc-colarc-cola member
    edited June 2018
    @cdepperschmidt that’s so messed up. It feels particulsry cruel that a school isnt creating that space for mothers. FWIW, the Fair Labor Standards Act requires employers to provide private space (non bathroom) for nursing mothers to pump, as well as reasonable break time (sadly 15 minutes might meet that criteria...). 
  • Options
    We have a “wellness room” which is the lactating room. I work for a nonprofit that’s 70% women. But I hate that it really takes those type  of stats for companies to even think about this shit. And calling it “an accommodation”, makes me stabby. The room doesn’t have a sink but does have a fridge and comfy chair. I wasn’t able to BF with dd for medical reasons so I’m anxious about doing it this time at work.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @rc-cola I’m sure if I went to them and said hey i need a place they would help, we are an over crowded school so there just isn’t space to dedicate to a lactation room. The 15 minutes and the space are written into our contract, it just specifies that it can’t be a restroom. 
  • Options
    One thing I should point out- the buildout on our office is only 5yrs old.  I’m pretty sure including the privacy room was something that was default for the company we hired to plan the space.  I don’t think it was something that the people involved in the planning from my firm would have included otherwise.  
  • Options
    I'm lucky that we actually have a really nice one. Our office has gone though remodeling for several years, when they did they put in nice Wellness Rooms. The one closest to my office has a chair that reclines, a fridge, sink and little cubbies with locks so you can store things.
  • Options
    We have Mother's rooms at work. Don't know much about them, other than that they exist and you can reserve them. With all the flooding from Harvey and moving buildings, they've been very good about keeping employees informed about the new locations in each building. I think we are still in a temporary situation, but I imagine everything will be back to normal by the time I'm back next January. 

Our work daycare also has a side room in the infant rooms where you can go to nurse, if you want. So lots of options for me (assuming I get into the daycare). 
  • Options
    I work from home but my so have to go into the office on occasion. We are a small company (~15 people) and my boss does not think about these kinds of things. It’s an open concept office so there are only 4 offices with doors, all of which are occupied and are mostly made of glass. My boss’s is the only one with any privacy, so the few times I was there I had to kick him out of his office to use the space. It was awkward. He was all weird about it. Not sure how it would have worked out if I was still in the office full time.
  • Options
    @rc-cola we have at least one quiet room in each building for nursing. It has at least a large chair that you can lay down in or sofa, table, and a fridge to store your milk. 
  • Options
    I pumped in my classroom during my lunch at two of three schools I’ve taught at, including my current one (my daughter just stopped nursing right after we got the BFP). I could during my recess as well since that’s a designated break at my current district. It’s definitely difficult to find places in schools to pump. At my last school I pumped in the VPs office because my room had too many windows. As
    for using my room, I made sure to lock the doors and have a sign up saying not to enter. It was kind of nice to have that time to myself! I turned on a show to watch while I pumped and ate. 
  • Options
    tinattt23 said:
    I work from home but my so have to go into the office on occasion. We are a small company (~15 people) and my boss does not think about these kinds of things. It’s an open concept office so there are only 4 offices with doors, all of which are occupied and are mostly made of glass. My boss’s is the only one with any privacy, so the few times I was there I had to kick him out of his office to use the space. It was awkward. He was all weird about it. Not sure how it would have worked out if I was still in the office full time.
    Don’t think about it as you asking for you. Eventually any company will have someone who needs to pump. They need to catch up. We have open concept too, but STILL have a separate room that locks and isn’t see through.
  • Options
    Yep, I work in Ontario and we have a wellness room. Usually people go in if they are feeling sick so it doesnt seem like the most sanitary space but its something! Some employees also use as a prayer room
  • Options
    Have we done a product spotlight on bassinets or sleeping options for the beginning when they are in the room with you? Dh wants kid out of our room so we have our space but I plan to EBF so I don't want to have to run to another room every hour or two lol 
  • Options
    I don't know if we've done a product Spotlight on it yet. We've talked about different things but not sure about a spotlight. I'll look.
  • Options
    I work in the mall so I either have to use the bathroom or just sit in my stock room to pump. I didn't make it very long with DS because it's such a hassle when theres only one manager on duty. I'm hoping to have new job after maternity leave and hopefully that will help. 
  • Options
    Also a teacher. I had a 30 minute lunch everyday and a 30 minute special class (computers, library, music) 4 days a week most weeks. Specials could change or cancel with little notice, plus walking my kids to and from took time so I would not rely on that time for pumping. Lunch was the only time I could use reliably (if I had all my copies and prep work done that is)

I would lock my door, close the blinds, and put a sign over the handle. Did not stop people from trying to get in or knock on the door. I would have to text my coworkers to shoo away children who would keep knocking on the door because they forgot to get their coat or something. I also had 2 times where people unlocked the door even with the sign. One let a student in my class to grab their lunchbox.

All that said pumping was extremely stressful for me and I would beat myself up over not producing much. It really makes me not want to bother with it when I go back to work after maternity leave this time around. I think it would help my mental health greatly to avoid that stress altogether.
  • Options
    @HoosOnFirst yes I am in retail and I'm sure it's not legal. I totally agree with what you're saying and that'd be great if Walmart could help bring about a change. 

• Options
    chyviechyvie member
    @nmadjeski ugh sorry you have to go through that. 
    from what I hear Walmart isn't the best to their employees. I helped design their head off here in Ontario and they told us they don't even give their staff pens and paper! So we didn't have to design storage rooms for office supplies as their employees just bring in their own if they want it. Also their office was over crowded and awful. So I'd imagine if they treat their head office people that way then they don't treat their retail staff much better! 
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Options
    @chyvie thank you! I'm going to discuss it with HR when we talk about my maternity leave but I'm not hopeful.

That's so bizarre to me that they dont provide pens and paper?! I would imagine they would be necessary items to help them go about their jobs...

@BabyRobbinsAdventure  It's a locked door with a sign and they still came in??  Thats so rude!
  • Options
    rabtaido1214rabtaido1214 member
    edited June 2018
    Can anyone with an Apple Watch or similar device that monitors heart rate humor me and tell me what your HR is sitting vs. standing? I was surprised by my HR when I saw it in standing position this morning. Jumping between 100-130ish and sitting 80s. Not really sure what I normally run in either position but it seemed high. I feel totally fine. Trying to see if my phone can show my the history of the heart rate recordings from other days, but I don’t know how yet. I might just be a little anxious about traveling later today for work. Don’t like flying and being away overnight anyway, but doing it pregnant makes it feel like higher stakes and worry if something goes wrong away from home.

Edit: found the data on my phone. My HR spiked to 191 at one point... sounds a little scary. I didn’t exercise or anything, just normal walking around the house. Ugh don’t want to call the doctor because if they want me to come in I can’t really do that with my flight this afternoon.
  • Options
    coffee-saurcoffee-saur member
    edited June 2018
    @rabtaido1214 I can't find where to check my history, but I know it'll jump around like that. I'll have around 80-90 resting and it'll jump to 119,130 walking. I know it's been high at times, but not really sure how high. Where did you find to check your history? It's an Apple watch also. 
    DS 6/6/10
    DD 3/15/12
    DD 6/3/14
    #4 Due 10/26/18!
  • Options
    @rabtaido1214 Mines jumped pretty significantly since being pregnant. My old resting average was in the low 60s. Now it’s mid 70s. But something as simple as cooking dinner will push me into the 120s.

And even pre-pregnant, any time of stress/nerves/anxiety will push it real high. I’ve actually had two EKGs because doctors have been freaked my resting HR was so high, one being right after I delivered DS. They’ve never found anything concerning though. 

But 190 not doing anything strenuous does sound pretty high. I’m not sure I’d consider it an emergent call your doctor now kind of issue, but I’d mention it at your next appointment for sure.
  • Options
    @rabtaido1214 Fitbit tells me my resting heart rate is between 60-70, and it was in that range pre pregnancy as well. If I get up and walk around, it jumps to 80-120 ish, depending on how much I'm walking. Workout heart rates are 120-140 now, used to get into the 160s pre pregnancy but I get too tired now haha. Mine has been higher today because I worked out this morning.

Also would want to remind you that the heart rate monitors probably aren't all that accurate so I'd take what they say with a grain of salt. But perhaps mention to your doctor anyway.
  • Options
    @rabtaido1214 Similar to @tinattt23 mine has jumped after being pregnant. Prepregnancy it was around mid to low 60's. It now averages mid to low 70's and jumps to 120-130 during stressful times or when I go walking. 

I would definitely mention the 190's at your next appointment, and keep an eye on it. But I would get too concerned about a one off time. 
  • Options
    @rabtaido1214 You should definitely bring that up with your doctor. I’ve been part of cardioverting (think “Clear!”/shock paddles etc) a pregnant mom whose pulse wouldn’t come down from the 190s. 190s is worryingly high. Especially if not at high activity levels. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Embarrassing question, but I'm wondering if y'all would call in this situation. H and I were intimate last night. I was not in the mood and was shooting him down, but he misread my tone and thought I was playing... guess we need a safe word from now on... but it was painful. He tried to make it more comfortable for me and kept going before he realized that I did not want to have sex. He feels SO bad. And today I'm in a lot of pain through my groin and pelvis. I'm walking so slow and hobbling through the halls. I know they say sex is ok, but I've never had this happen before in any of my pregnancies and it's freaking me out.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    @krzyriver has the pain gotten any better as the day has progressed? I would probably give it until later this afternoon and then call. I had this happen a few weeks ago, but my pain was more like intense cramping on one side of my groin. It felt better as the night went on, though. If it’s really bothering you, there’s no harm in calling - even if it turns out to be nothing (which chances are, it is) at least you’ll have peace of mind. 
  • Options
    Late to the party.....   weird cravings.... I have been on a yellow mustard kick for about 4 weeks now.  I have craved it so badly that I would order a side of french fries JUST so i could dip my fries in the mustard... I am usually only a ketchup and fries person. So I guess thats a little odd??

Re: the bikini line.... does anyone know if laser removal is safe during pregnancy?  What i've read so far all says no go.  
  • Options
    @Lisa3379 No, it doesn't seem to be getting any better, but it's not getting any worse either. If I sit on a hard chair, it's unbearable, but when I'm in my cushy office chair I'm ok.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015