October 2018 Moms
Options

Questions 5/25

13»

Re: Questions 5/25

• Options
    @tinattt23 the pretty pusher looks cute! 28 bucks at BB&B doesn’t seem too bad I guess!
  • Options
    Most of the hospital gowns are open in the back, but people have told me to ask for a second one and wear it backwards so it’s open in the front over the first one when/if you want to walk around in the hall.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @SweetSweetTooth - I read somewhere about someone who used two hospital gowns- one forward facing as designed, and one on backwards so it worked like a robe and they could walk around. I’m pretty much planning to try that. 

I’m planning to take some comfortable clothes to wear after labor, but during?  Not a big deal to me.  

@tinattt23 - thank you for the friendly reminder that babies straight from the womb are slimy. Definitely going to go with the hospital robe. 
  • Options
    We often give a second gown to wear over the back. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    After baby was born I just wore comfy jammys. I got a nursing top and pants that fit whilst pregnant, and a shrug like sweater thing. Now that I think about it I think it was a set, but I have no idea from where. 
    Right after baby is born you'll be about the same size as when you're 6 months pregnant. 
    DS 6/6/10
    DD 3/15/12
    DD 6/3/14
    #4 Due 10/26/18!
  • Options
    So maybe weird, but while I did wear my own gown for the birth, I wore the hospital gown after until we were discharged (the next day). I brought clothes but just never changed. Figured if I was going to bleed on something I’d rather it not be my stuff. 
  • Options
    So our hospital L&D  floor has specialty gowns that have 3 arms. So it goes on like a button down shirt would, then is basically another half a gown that goes across your front and back over one arm, then snaps. It keeps you completely covered, is more comfortable because no weird ties, and quick snaps open on the side or across each shoulder to check your stomach/adjust monitors or allow you to breastfeed while being minimally uncovered. I loved them, and they just brought me new ones if it got dirty/when I wanted to shower (we have a 48hr/72hr minimum stay for vaginal births, depending on a lot of stuff). 
  • Options
    jellybelly114jellybelly114 member
    edited May 2018
    @jomama1618 that sounds so convenient! 

As a FTM the hospital gowns for labor honestly never crossed my mind but when I do a tour of L&D I'm def going to ask now what they supply/recommend. I wanted to get one of those cute mommy&me matching robes and baby swaddles from Milkmaid mainly bc they keep bombarding me with ads on facebook and are so stinking adorable. Def not paying $70+ something for delivery though that I'll bleed all over. But I also hate hospital gowns and am always cold so maybe I'll get something cheap.

ETA: matching robe and swaddle is for post birth 
  • Options
    I am totally just gonna wear the hospital gowns. Birth is messy and I am too pragmatic to want to buy something just to bleed on it and toss it.
  • Options
    I just wore what they gave me. It wasn't too bad, just had weird slits in the front for nursing that were kind of awkward since my big boobs would occasionally slide out. But I was so miserable in labor, I didn't really notice. After he was born, I just wore camis and the disposable panties they gave me... and threw maternity yoga pants on if I needed to.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    slizteesliztee member
  • Options
    Dang I just lost the daily fact about my pregnancy. Why did you take it away from me bump?! 
  • Options
    KFrobKFrob member
    Here's something to think about too, I don't know what others experienced but our hospital room felt like it was 1,000 degrees on top of the random hot flashes and night sweats.  I think the thermostat in our room said it was 75.  DD was a Jan baby and I had packed comfy sweat pants and sweat shirts for after birth that I didn't need.  I ended up in a tank top the whole stay.  
  • Options
    Does anyone know where I can find maternity bermuda shorts? I've checked Old Navy and they only have size 1 and Gap only has twill. I really want denim. Also, does anyone have recommendations for comfortable, supportive and cute sandals? 
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    @britvahok I saw some at Kohl’s the other day with full belly panel and a little longer length. You might also want to check out JC Penney online, they might have them too.

• Options
    @quiltandknit Thanks! I completely forgot about the Kohl's. There's a Kohl'l next to my office so I'll probably go over there for lunch.

• Options
    @britvahok - Your idea of “cute” may be different than mine, but I have really been enjoying my sandals from Teva and Sketchers. The Tevas are more functional, but the Sketchers have some cute designs.  (The ones I was wearing last night had rhinestones across the bands.)
  • Options
    KFrobKFrob member
    @britvahok H&M has denim
  • Options
    Thanks @knottieamusements and @KFrob! @knottieamusements I'm basically looking for supportive sandals that don't make me look like a grandma. We have a few trips planned this summer and I know there will be a lot of walking. 

• Options
    @KFrob and others. Go on your hospital tour. At our hospital you have full temp control in the room, but still plan for all different Temps as your body is going through crazy changes :) 
  • Options
    KFrobKFrob member
    @SweetSweetTooth We couldn't change the temp in our room!  (or we couldn't figure it out?)
  • Options
    britvahok said:
    Does anyone know where I can find maternity bermuda shorts? I've checked Old Navy and they only have size 1 and Gap only has twill. I really want denim. Also, does anyone have recommendations for comfortable, supportive and cute sandals? 
    I LIVE in my Crocs sandals.There are lots, but here are the 2 I wear to work.

https://www.crocs.com/p/womens-sanrah-strappy-wedge/204010.html?cgid=women-footwear-sandals&cid=001#start=32

https://www.crocs.com/p/womens-meleen-twist-sandal/202497.html?cgid=women-footwear-sandals&amp;cid=05M#&amp;origin=category&amp;srule=CatPosition-SearchPlacement-Revenue7day/SKUCoverage&amp;start=60&amp;sz=36&amp;prefn1=variationSize&amp;prefv1=&amp;prefn2=refinementColor&amp;prefv2=&amp;prefn3=fitGuideFit&amp;prefv3=&amp;prefn4=lifestyle&amp;prefv4=
  • Options
    @KFrob at the hospital where I gave birth to DS, it felt like a million degrees in my room after too. I don’t remember the actual temp, but I remember begging them to make it cooler, but since they keep the baby in the room with you at all times, they insisted on keeping it slightly on the warmer side. 
  • Options
    KFrobKFrob member
    @pumpkinpancake Ours did the rooming in also.  I didn't ask about the changing the temp but kinda assumed it was due to the babe being in there with us.
  • Options
    Laumb11Laumb11 member
    @britvahok
    Saw some at target too

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @britvahok they are not the cheapest, but i live in my keen sandals. they are so comfortable, waterproof (even the leather ones), and basically wear like iron (coming from someone who is extremely hard on shoes). Not the prettiest shoes i own, but they more than make up for it. ;)
  • Options
    +1 to be totally naked during labour. I wouldn't bother with a nightgown...labour is messy messy and you wont care AT ALL what you're wearing Haha. 

I did bring a robe for after delivery and that worked well to be comfy. I just wore it over hospital gown.
  • Options
    How bad do you guys think limited paint exposure would be? There's quite a few small spots around the house I really want to touch up, and H isn't the best at it, so I'd like to do it. Do we think 20 min of paint touchup exposure would be bad?
  • Options
    KFrobKFrob member
    @chopchop25 Open windows and if you feel better wear a mask and you should be fine.  But maybe ask the doctor too?  
  • Options
    @chopchop25 make sure it’s well ventilated, and try to use low VOC paint if you can. Unless you get a paint specific respirator, there is no point to a mask as they don’t stop fumes. 
  • Options
    @chopchop25 - I agree with @KFrob.  

With my bathroom remodel, I’m going to be in the construction area for 5-10 minutes every day reviewing the work.  I’m doing it about an hour after the workers have left, but still, it is a risk.  I have a mask for if I am in there during active construction, but otherwise, I’m just limiting my exposure and washing my hands before I eat.
  • Options
    @chopchop25 I wouldn't worry about it as long g as the area is well ventilated. I started painting the trim in my living room to help distract me while I was in early labor with DD.
  • Options
    zwink1zwink1 member
    @chopchop25, most paints now are low/no VOC and shouldn't be an issue as long as it's well-ventilared as others have said.

Here are some recs from the APA: https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-health/paint-and-pregnancy/

FWIW, I've already helped paint a hallway and still have a nursery and a bathroom to get done before LO arrives. H does most of the square footage, but he's horrible with detail work so I do all of the trim.
  • Options
    @britvahok birkenstocks are all the rage. If you don't want to spend that, target has some good dupes that are apparently very comfortable. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Options
    @chopchop25 I painted Z's bedroom by myself when I was pregnant with him. I just opened the windows. You'll be fine!

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    I got mixed reviews on my research with painting. I told dh I can't. One less thing I have to do! Sorry, not sorry.
  • Options
    I didn't even think twice about painting last weekend. I did most of the painting of the nursery. I just took frequent breaks.