October 2018 Moms

Questions 5/25

Re: Questions 5/25

• Lightning hit our house once in the middle of the night...it was built in 1995, and I think it was an underground line into the garage. It traveled inside and set the oven on fire. The only reason we even found it was because I was terrified of the storm and made my dad check the entire house. The fire was trapped in the oven because of the seal. I’m not sure what made him open the oven, maybe he smelled it, but thank goodness he did.
  • Yup. Every time a bad storm rolls in (always overnight) DH gets up and unplugs all the big expensive electronics. FYI this is the only way to prevent them from being fried from lightning strikes, lightning voltage is incredibly high and surge protectors are only designed to protect against surges from the power company, etc.  Supposedly whole home surge protectors exist that are designed for lightning, but I haven't looked into that. Nor do I think they would work lol.
  • Loading the player...
  • It's just crazy I'd never heard of it before. I remember a couple really serious thunderstorms when I was a kid growing up in Colorado Springs. We always ran around and unplugged
    stuff . I remember one doozy of a storm where we lost power, and while it was pouring buckets outside, dad decided he had to get the mail out of our mailbox before it got ruined in the rain. When he got back in, he said our neighbors house across the street got struck by lightening. I don't know if it actually did, cuz my dad likes to make a scene, so it very likely was just a story to get attention. 
    DS 6/6/10
    DD 3/15/12
    DD 6/3/14
    #4 Due 10/26/18!
  • Don’t worry @coffee-saur, I told my husband that and he hadn’t ever heard it before either.  I had to look it up to prove it to him.

While I was looking it up I came across lightening balls (not sure if that’s the actual name).  I can’t remember how they are formed, but they’re basically a ball of lightening can travel across the ground.  I think they can happen inside houses that were struck by lightening too, but can’t remember for sure.  I found it really interesting, but MH just rolled his eyes at me when I told him about them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • MylittaMylitta member
    edited May 2018
    I'm pretty sure that myth busters did an episode about showering during a storm. I think they proved it true, but I can't remember clearly. It might have been an older house thing. Or yes more likely, but still not likely? I'll have to look it up. 

Eta: plausible apparently. And on the phone was a real thing
    https://mythresults.com/episode30
  • I always thought that lightning travelling through a power outlet was a myth, but then I met someone in grad school whose laptop had been fried by lightning. I've always unplugged my laptop during storms since hearing that story, even though I lived in the city and our power lines were all underground.

Of course, that was living in the midwest. Since we moved to CA, we've only seen lightning once. It happened the first week we arrived, and we had no idea that storms with lightning are a rarity out here until a friend clued us in. We did think it was weird that everyone kept talking about the storm and asking if we'd seen the lightning.
  • Growing up my mom would always say to not shower during a storm. Now she says to not talk on the phone while you're pumping gas. I just thought it was one of those weird random "mom" saying...
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Growing up our modem was fried during a storm. I can't remember if it affected the desktop or not. I was a teenager and I remember it hitting right outside.
  • @britvahok Gas pumps have warnings on them not to talk on the phone while pumping.  Or maybe don’t hold the phone while pumping because of it rings it could be dangerous?  Basically if the gas fumes/air mixture is the right concentration and there is a spark it could ignite them, so leaving your phone in the car and touching the car after getting out but before touching the pump to discharge any static you may have gotten when getting it if the car is recommended (so you don’t get a shock after you begin pumping and risk igniting the fumes).  The chances of any of that happening are pretty small, but I assume it has happened before because it is written on every pump I’ve seen.
  • @purplegoldfish2 I never noticed the phone warnings! I guess my mom isn't as crazy as I thought!  :D

• @britvahok Now that you said that I’m questioning if I’ve actually seen it on the pump.  I’m pretty sure they say that.  Even if they don’t, I know you’re not supposed to do it because of the chance of a spark.
  • It bugged me so I looked - they do

• I believe that's why people say to turn your car off while getting as as well.
  • @melbo444 We grew up in CA are used to maybe one storm every five years. Then moved to Houston and there’s storms every week. So different! Glad to be back in CA. Haha. 
  • We dont get storms too often in new England but when we do I'm out on the porch watching! I love thunderstorms!!
  • My ex bf's parents have had lightening hit in their yard 4 times. It used to hit a big tree in their yard, so they had it removed. Last month it decided to hit their truck instead and ended up ruining the electric in their car. My ex said his dad has had instances with lightening before this house too.
  • Lisa3379Lisa3379 member
    edited May 2018
    Along the same lines as what @tinattt23 said: Californian here, and I have literally nothing to add to this conversation about storms.  :D
  • Lisa3379 said:
    Along the same lines as what @tinattt23 said: Californian here, and I have literally nothing to add to this conversation about storms.  :D
    Same here! Born and raised in Cali so never heard of any of this. I've lived in Michigan for the last 10 years (since grad school then marriage)..I haven't heard of any of this here either. My husband is born and raised in Michigan and he will usually tell me all of these things . Must be different nowadays compared to back in the days. 
  • @knottieamusements it was back in the days of tv antennas on the roof. My mom had lightening strike their antenna and blow out the the glass on the tv.
  • I live in "lightning alley" in FL.. maybe our houses are built differently but we really don't do anything different (i.e. unplugging sensitive electronics) except maybe during really severe t-storms and of course hurricanes. I don't know anyone that has had issues with lightning hitting their house. It also storms like every day most of the year here so it's not really practical to go around unplugging and replugging everything in haha 
  • So, umm, this is potentially a stupid question- obviously coming from an FTM-

I see so many Moms talking about keeping baby in seeing/hearing lines while showering.  Why?  

I feel like putting them in a safe place (like a Rock and Play or crib) would be sufficient to take a quick shower, and then check in them afterwards.  But I will admit, I’m probably pretty naive...
  • krzyriverkrzyriver member
    edited May 2018
    @knottieamusements Z used to break out of his swaddle occasionally, so I needed to see him then. But it wasn't until he was older and started rolling in bed, crawling, and of course walking that I really needed to see him for safety reasons. But he's *always* cried in his sleep so it's useful to know if he's awake and I need to finish up my shower quicker? Or is he out and I can take my time and actually get clean?

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• @knottieamusements I used to put the rock n play at the bathroom door while I showered. I would occasionally peak out and make sure LO was okay. 

• @knottieamusements don't worry, I naively figured the same thing. Or I'll never shower unless someone else is over hahaha.
  • @jemmerjams DS is 17 months and up until a few weeks ago when DH went out of town, I’ve never had to shower home alone. Even then, I just showered while he was asleep.

But, I would have totally kept him in sight as an infant. Even knowing he was taken care of, I constantly heard phantom crying in the shower when he was tiny. Seems to be pretty common actually. So I’d want to be able to pop my head out and see if he was actually crying or if I was just losing more of my mind. 
  • Yes to the phantom crying! I didn't shower during the day for a very long time because of it. But I was so lucky with Z; he slept through the night starting at 2 weeks and now he sleeps like clockwork from 8-8. I always know when I can get my shower... so long as I get up on time. :D

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• +1 to phantom crying.  I put both boys in their infant to toddler rockers so I could poke my head out and see if they were really crying or not.  Usually they were fine but sometimes it was one of them actually crying.  I did occasionally leave them in cribs while I showered, but those were always super fast showers and one time I got out to hear one of them screaming but I hadn’t heard him while I was in the shower so I stopped doing that.
  • With baby 1 you won't have to worry about it, but with 2&3 I'd worry about the older ones doing something to the baby when I wasn't there to supervise. Nothing bad exactly, they're just clueless what a newborn can handle. For example, I was making lunch and DD3 was laying on the floor on a blanket and the other two were laying on their stomachs watching her and talking to her. I could see them through the doorway, so I knew nothing crazy was happening. They came running into the kitchen and excitedly told me they had fed her a chip! But, not to worry mom, we broke it into a very little piece for her. I checked and there was a tiny piece of Doritos outside her mouth, since their tongues do the sucking thing and pushed it out. I told them that babies can't eat things until they have teeth (just to giver them an idea) so not to try it again till she had some teeth to chew stuff up with.  
    +1 to the phantom crying too. It's been awhile since I've dealt with that, so if kinda forgot about that. 
    DS 6/6/10
    DD 3/15/12
    DD 6/3/14
    #4 Due 10/26/18!
  • I know it is early but anyone considering buying or making their own comfy hospital gown? I have heard the hospital ones aren't too comfy and might be open in the back so it makes walking the halls awkward lol those that are do you have a pattern (and what type of fabric would you use other than soft) or where are you looking/buying from? Obviously these will never be used again because of blood and other fluids but hey comfort is a big thing! :) 
  • chyviechyvie member
    Amazon has some nursing nightgowns/ rob combos for good prices
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Laumb11Laumb11 member
    @SweetSweetTooth
    I got a robe and nightgown set from etsy for my first. I plan to use it again for this one too. I labored in both but honestly don't remember when the gown came off lol. The robe was fab for after showering. Its not a necessity but I loved having it. 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ooh yeah! I got an awesome robe from the Jockey outlet. I still wear it even now.
  • I'm thinking of just getting a robe instead of a gown. I have no problems letting it all hangout honestly. And I have a feeling anything that can't be quickly removed if I want it to will be too constricting in my mind.. plus I'm to cheap to spend a lot of money on a gown I might wear once.