October 2018 Moms

Product Spotlight: Breast Pumps

13»

Re: Product Spotlight: Breast Pumps

• Thanks @mommy2ane. I was just coming back to give an update. I completed the application 2 days ago and just got an email today that it shipped. I didn't really expect it to happen that fast. I can't wait to get my pump.
  • I’d love some input. I contacted my insurance (Harvard pilgrim) and they gave me a couple medical supply places I can go through. I had the option of Medela and spectra, among others that are fully covered. I decided on spectra. I can get the S2 fully covered, or upgrade to S1 for $50. I’m just not sure if I need he battery option for my purposes, but then again I’m a FTM so I can’t really predict yet what my needs will be. For some background, my work has pumping rooms with Medela Symphony pumps (just bring your own kit to attach), so I shouldn’t need to worry about picking a pump for use at work. I’m curious for STMs whether you found a battery useful/wish you had a pump with this feature, and what situations you were in where it was/would have been useful. Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • @rabtaido1214 FTM, but I am going to upgrade to the S1 for $30...I figure, for $30, why not? I don't think our work rooms have pumps though. Plus, I am planning to visit my parents abroad and leave baby with them for a week while DH and I gallivant across the UK, so I think not being tied down to limited outlets/converters is going to be useful. 

Also curious to hear from a STM perspective though. 
  • @rabtaido1214 and @jemmerjams
    I got the S2 last year with DD. I didn't upgrade to the S1 since I would be a SAHM I didn't think I'd need the battery option since I could just up on the couch or wherever. While I wouldn't say that I totally regretted not upgrading to the S1, there were a couple of times that it would have been nice. Right as soon as you get all settled the dogs will want to go out, you'll realize your phone/remote/drink is across the room. Small things like that that would have just made it easier to do instead of having to unplug yourself and lose track of your timing. I'll be paying the upgrade  fee this time so I'll have one of each.
  • @SawyerRichardson very helpful, I can totally see that. Thanks!
  • For those with insurance that won't cover the breast pump check out Facebook Buy, Sell, and Trade near you. I bought a brand new Medela breast pump in style with bottles for $20!!!  I feel like I won the lottery.  
  • i went through aeroflow breast pumps website and they did all the leg work for me in order to get my free spectra s2 covered by insurance. all you have to do is fill out the "application" and provide the information off of your insurance card, and they call you within a week to take care of the rest! they even go about the business of obtaining the prescription from your OB so you don't have to do it yourself. pretty brilliant, the whole thing. highly recommend it!
    me 32 | dh 45
    married <3 11.11.17
     mama. epicurean. plant lover. wine enthusiast.
  • Thanks @mommy2ane. I was just coming back to give an update. I completed the application 2 days ago and just got an email today that it shipped. I didn't really expect it to happen that fast. I can't wait to get my pump.
    My pump arrived today! It was super fast and hassle free. I wasn't sure when I initially applied if it would be sent out right away or closer to my due date. I was happy they did it right away 25+4 and don't have to worry about it arriving late or when I'm not here.
  • I don't think we have a breastfeeding/pumping thread - when do you plan on starting to pump?  I pumped exclusively with my first so it was just a way of life.  With my second I kind of winged it during maternity leave and started pumping on a regular schedule once I was back at work.   Should I pump on a schedule during maternity leave too to increase supply?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers   Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • edited July 2018
    @tropical1982 - I’ll go ahead and start a separate breast feeding thread so this one doesn’t get derailed...

ETA: General Discussion thread is here:  https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12731353/breastfeeding-pumping-general-discussion#latest
  • Finally made an account with Aeroflow to order my pump. I can get the Spectra S2 for free, or upgrade to the S1 for $100. (Which I think is crazy given there's only a $50 price difference listed). We have a nice lactation room in our office, so I don't see the need for the battery. However, I'm kinda debating which I want...
  • pajamstagramspajamstagrams member
    edited July 2018
    Just going to throw this out there...i was at a wedding this weekend and 2 BMs were pumping. We had to hunt to find an outlet for the BM with an electric pump (other one used manual). So I think it could be worth it for the S1
    @sammierose464 but agree, should not cost $100 more, what the heck?? 
  • @sammierose464 I upgraded to the S1. I loved not having to worry about finding an outlet.
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• injust got my Spectra S1 in today! Not really sure if the breast shields are the right size or not.
  • I was wondering about the flange size too.  I found this post from Madela; I assume the sizing information would be true for any pump brand:

https://blog.medelabreastfeedingus.com/2015/05/medela-breastshield-sizing-guide/
  • @knottieamusements thanks! That’s helpful. Can’t wait to get home from work and measure my nipples haha. My husband was laughing at me opening up my pump box like a kid on Christmas yesterday.
  • My SIL has a Spectra S2 she will let me borrow so I'm going to order a different one.  I'd want to go with the S1 but I don't see that one available, I do see an S9.  Anyone have experience/reviews with that one?  Much smaller so seems good for ravel/on the go if needed.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers   Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • My pump came.... And this is the plug. Guess I've gotta call aeroflow...

• YIKES! @sammierose464 I hope they can get a replacement out to you right away.
  • alexa_94alexa_94 member
    edited August 2018
    My Spectra S1 came in and I got it through pumping essentials and my insurance covered it. It wasn’t even considered an upgrade so I didn’t have to pay out of pocket. 
    Now my question is what pumping bag do you recommend?

https://pumpingessentials.com/
    https://pumpingessentials.com/pump-brands
  • I have one of the Spectra pumps, and am using this bag:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0767DJTLS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_u-jIBbHTVXMN8

I am kind of take-it or leave-it about the bag.  

Pros:

- The Spectra fits into the compartment comfortably.  I don’t feel like I need to pull it out every time to pump.  
    - The bag is plenty big for whatever. 
    - The handles are big enough to go over my shoulder, so I don’t need to use the strap. 

Cons:
    - I think the bag is ugly; the colors are weird.  
    - I generally think the bag is too big for me. It is worth noting that I carry a separate cooler bag, so if I had one that was designed for pumping Moms, I might feel differently. 
    - I don’t like how the compartment for the pump sticks out into the main compartment.  I’d rather the main compartment have a floor.  I don’t carry much in the bag and the folds have already eaten a sharpie.  
    - I don’t think the bag is going to hold up to long term use since I have only used it about 3 weeks and it is already showing signs of wear around the bottom seam.  
  • I have the Skip Hop bag (https://a.co/d/aLGbaOS), which overall I like so far. Although, all I've done was put everything in it.

however, the spectra pump does not fit in the pump compartment, it has to go in the main part of the bag.
  • @alexa_94 I have three pumps.  I know I am crazy.  I have a Medela Freestyle, Spectra S1, and the Spectra 9.  I travel for work so the Spectra 9 is just for that.  It's small and compact--less than a pound and a little bigger than a cellphone, so really should fit in any bag--not getting a separate bag for that this time.  However, I will tell you the Spectra 1 is hard to fit in a bag because of it's awkward shape...I tried every bag under the sun last time and never quite found one.  BUT it's a great pump so don't let getting the bag be stressful for you. My suggestion is to get a bag that is deep and wide since the Spectra S1 is sort of circular.  It most likely will have to go in a main compartment rather than a pumping compartment, like @sammierose464 mentioned.
  • Part of the reason I chose the bag I did is that on the Amazon reviews, it fit the Spectra S2.  The bag has two compartments on the bottom; one is somewhat smaller than the other.  The larger compartment comfortably fits the pump.  

I bought the pump bag after carrying my pump to work for a week in a generic tote bag.  It is seriously worth it to not have to pull the pump out of the bag every time I try to use it.  (I don’t even take it out at home...)