October 2018 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Breast Pumps

Thanks @knottieamusements for the suggestion.

let's talk breast pumps!

Which did you like? Any you disliked?
What accessories did you find you  needed / didn't need?

FTM: Don't forget you might be able to get one through your insurance for free or discounted. Have you looked at what they offer?

Re: Product Spotlight: Breast Pumps

• Options
    So my insurance covers either a Hygeia or a Medela and I am reading such conflicting things (...kind of like all baby gear, lol). Still trying to decide which to go with.
  • Options
    Already ordered mine last week, based on internet research, asking other moms, and lack of many options through insurance. I got the Medela Pump In Style starter set.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I went with the spectra s1- my insurance covered it and I liked that it was battery powered and is a closed system so I didn’t have to worry about mold. I used it 3-4 times a day every day for a year and never noticed a decrease in battery life or suction. Some people dislike spectra because accessories have to be ordered online but I ended up needing to order smaller flanges for it (I found some through maymom on amazon) and they were compatible with all medela accessories, so it was easy to get whatever I needed for it on amazon or at target. I think a hands free pumping bra is a must have!
  • Options
    For those that pumped at work, did you find it helpful to have 2 pumps?

We have a really nice wellness room at work and I will be able to have a small cubby that locks (and there's a fridge in there). So if I wanted to, I could leave stuff locked in the room.
  • Options
    @sammierose464 Wow, that's so nice! Good for your workplace, being so progressive. 

I also wanted to add that I will be a SAHM, so that's why I chose the In Style over the Freestyle (which is easier to transport and pump "on the go", so to speak).
  • Options
    So I went with the Medela PIS (I think) with my first and used it with my second. Pros: relatively easy to use, the parts are sold tons of places if you forget some.  Cons: it's not a closed system, can take some time. 

This time im going to get the spectra s2 if my insurance covers it. Apparently it's basically hospital grade power at home if that makes sense! 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Options
    Spectra S2 or S1 all the way. I exclusively pumped with my last and I made it to a full year and then some with that pump. Its amazing, I am so excited to have 2 this time since I will likely have to EP again.
  • Options

We have a really nice wellness room at work and I will be able to have a small cubby that locks (and there's a fridge in there). So if I wanted to, I could leave stuff locked in the room.
    I had a pump bag and it really wasn't a big deal to just throw the pump in there with the flanges, pumping bra, and bags. I can see it being more handy if you could leave it set up but you risk someone using it and if its not a closed system (spectra is medela is not) thats a huge NO from me.
  • Options
    KFrobKFrob member
    edited April 2018
    I used the Medela In Style Advanced with DD and loved it.  I EPed for a year and definitely put it to work.  I'm with a different employer this time and found out a couple of weeks ago that I get two pumps, one through insurance and one through my employers lactation program.  The lactation program gives out In Style Advanced with all the accessories.  So everyone check to see if there's a lactation program!  If I can, I plan on leaving one at work.  

This time around I'm going to pick up a hand pump too.  I feel like it would be much easier to use on the go, like in the car or out.  Having to lug around the pump and adapter is a pain. 

Also, don't cheap out on a pumping bra.  I was being cheap and the first one I got was awful.  It never fit right and would drive me crazy.  My suggestion is the Lansinoh one that has an adjustable back so when the engorgement stage is over you can make it smaller.  At home I also used an old sports bra with slits cut in it.    

ETA my OB was pregnant and about 3 months ahead of me.  She was using/advised the Medela In Style Advance so that's what cemented my decision.  
  • Options
    My OB recommended a program (I can’t remember the name of it now). I just filled out a little pamphlet in their office and a week or so later a Hygeia pump and two sets of parts appeared on my doorstep. Every month after DS was born I received another box of parts. I did have to call them around six months and let them know I was still pumping. They set me up with three more shipments. By then I was done pumping anyways. All of it was 100% covered by insurance.

Pump worked great. Only complaint is that it was pretty loud. It did randomly die on me once. I called the company and they had a new one sent a few days later. 
  • Options
    I used Hygeia last time.  I chose that over medela because it’s a closed system. They also have a recycling program so when I’m done with it I will be able to send it back to be recycled, or I can sell it and the new owner won’t have to worry about contamination since it’s closed.  When I read reviews on them (over 5 years ago now) the majority said they had about the same power.  The Hygeia is also battery powered, so I was able to use it on a road trip without finding a place to plug in to pump.

I haven’t looked into if my insurance will cover a pump yet, but if they do, I’m getting the Spectra (s9 I think?  The little one). I have a friend that got it and loved it and it is small so much easier to travel with than the one I currently have. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I had the medela PIS, and liked it. One thing i noticed is it seemed to lose steam after constant use for 9 months, at which point i rented a hospital grade pump until i weaned.  I don't think i qualify for a new pump, and i am wondering if there is a way to get a "tune-up."
  • Options
    I used the Spectra S2 with DD and it was wonderful when I used it. I very rarely pumped, pretty much only when I knew we'd have a babysitter and needed some pumped milk. I went through Aeroflow to order it, and they were so quick! The S2 was completely covered by my insurance. Once I let them know my decision the pump was at my house the next day. Then a couple months later they sent a new set of parts and extra bottles completely free!

My suggestion would be to make sure you understand how the pump flange is supposed to fit. I thought I knew how it was supposed to fit, but when I saw a lactation consultant when DD was 9 months she said the flange I was using was way too big. Switched to a smaller one and it was a night and day difference!
  • Options
    Any moms that have EP'd have any recommendations on Medela PISA vs Spectra S2 vs Hygeia Enjoye? I will be EP, so I will need a more than once a day kind of motor. It seems like people loooove the Spectra, but it may not be as good for EP...
  • Options
    @kiwi2628 I did not EP with my Hygeia enjoye. I used it 1-3 times a day. Not sure if it randomly dying had to do with use or if it was just some weird fluke. The replacement they gave me also wasn’t as loud. So I wonder if my first one had some issues from the beginning. 
  • Options
    Thankful for everyone's input...I definitely need to do some research. I have had two medela and they were great, but both lost power after two kids. (i did pump quite a bit, and for a fairly long period of time. my body seems to think i need milk for an army, so instead of fighting that i shared with people i knew who wanted to bf but had trouble with supply).
    my insurance will cover anything that i have seen so far, so that is good.
  • Options

In the Fall I do most of my work outside of my office so with DD I pumped n the car a lot. I borrowed a freestyle from a friend and it changed my whole experience. I ended up using that one even at work. I bought these medela wipes to clean my pump parts and it was a breeze. I would sanitize the parts at night at home. This time around I for sure want a Spectra S1, and I'm going to try and contact Aeroflow like @SawyerRichardson did, I've heard great things about the company and some of the other boards had ladies who said they only paid a small fee to upgrade to the Spectra S1 over the S2. When I spoke to my insurance last month they made it seem like I had to go through a different provider but I'm willing to explore the other option because buying a freestyle on my own is going to be REALLY expensive and I know now I really need a battery operated pump. 
    Me: 30     DH:32
    Married: 12/16/12
    TTC #1: 06/15  BFP #1:07/13/15
    D&C: 08/28/15
    BFP #2: 09/26/15
    M: 06/03/16
    BFP #2: 02/12/18 
    L : 7/26/18 (SIUGR, micropreemie)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    ninji15ninji15 member
    edited April 2018
    kiwi2628 said:
    Any moms that have EP'd have any recommendations on Medela PISA vs Spectra S2 vs Hygeia Enjoye? I will be EP, so I will need a more than once a day kind of motor. It seems like people loooove the Spectra, but it may not be as good for EP...
    I am a part of 3 EPing Facebook groups and every one swears by spectra, as do I as it always held up my supply perfectly when I EPed. I pumped 6-8 times a day the first 2 months then 5 times for until 7 months then 4 times a day until I weaned. 

Eta typos
  • Options
    Sorry quick jumped on here to post this but I do want to come back and read all as I have like 6 options to choose from. My insurance gave me this website to use. You pick your insurance and they show you your approved pumps. You can enter all your detailed insurance information and submit it and they will shop to you for free within 30 days of due date.
    Www.byramhealthcare.com like I said I have like 6 options to choose from. Easy way to see what options you have! 
  • Options
    *lurking from November*
    @kiwi2628 I EPed with the Hygeia Enjoye and I loved it. I mean, I guess it's weird to say I loved pumping, but it worked really well for me and was pretty easy and painless. My caveat is that I didn't use any other pumps besides the Hygeia, so I don't have anything to compare it to. It was still going strong at 12 months when I stopped pumping. It's a little loud as PP said, but it didn't bother me at all. I could still easily watch TV or talk on the phone while pumping. I pumped probably 6 times a day for the first 3 to 4 months or so and then gradually decreased from there. I carried it with me to and from work every day and it wasn't too heavy or cumbersome.
    I also really loved all the extra parts that came with they Hygeia (the milk storage bottles and whatnot). I had to replace the little duckbill flanges a few times, but they were really inexpensive. I never had to replace any of the other parts (tubing and such). Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions! 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Last time I had a Medela PIS. I pumped 3+ times a day a work for a year and it was great.

The moms in my pumping/nursing FB group seem to prefer Spectra over Medela. I know nothing about hygenia though. 

I have some questions for TTMs...

1. My pump still works fine, would you get a second if your insurance covers it? I don’t want to waste it, but I know my other could die.

2. For Moms who switched from Medela to Spectra are any of the parts/bottles capatible? I have tons of stuff.

3. What is the difference between open system and closed system?
  • Options
    @cdepperschmidt there is an adaptor you can buy to make it compatible with medela parts/bottles, otherwise I had to buy different sized flanges for my spectra and the new flanges were compatible with all medela bottles and accessories. I bought from maymom on amazon. 
  • Options
    tinattt23 said:
    Oh, and if you’re pumping more than once a day, don’t bother washing your pump parts a million times everyday. Throw them in a ziplock bag and store them in the fridge between uses. Any milk left behind if refrigerated, so it’s fine. Just wash them at night. Such a time saver. 
    This! It makes the time suck of pumping
    at work just a little bit better. 
  • Options
    Last time I had a Medela PIS. I pumped 3+ times a day a work for a year and it was great.

The moms in my pumping/nursing FB group seem to prefer Spectra over Medela. I know nothing about hygenia though. 

I have some questions for TTMs...

1. My pump still works fine, would you get a second if your insurance covers it? I don’t want to waste it, but I know my other could die.

2. For Moms who switched from Medela to Spectra are any of the parts/bottles capatible? I have tons of stuff.

3. What is the difference between open system and closed system?
    1. Yes get it! No guilt needed.
    2. N/A
    3. A closed system basically makes it impossible for any water (from washing tubing) or milk from getting back into the motor, making them safely able to be resold or rented out in hospitals.
  • Options
    mariek312mariek312 member
    edited April 2018
    I pumped at work with my first then a little at home with my second. Anyone using a pump with valves and membranes (like the kind that come with Medela) I HIGHLY recommend getting duckbill valves on Amazon. Not only are they less of a pain but they made a huge difference for me in the efficiency of my pump. 
  • Options
    arome2311arome2311 member
    edited April 2018
    I used the Medela freestyle pump and had great results with it. It’s light and super easy to carry around and get things done while pumping because you can just clip it to your pants. This time I’m torn between the Medela freestyle and a spectra because I’ve heard such good things. I used and abused my Mandela, so I don’t think it will be as effective to use the same pump this time around and will need a new one. 

ETA: Because autocorrect changed it from Medela to Mandela 
  • Options
    Another vote for the Medela dual freestyle! I loooooved mine. I got a good pumping bra which was worth every penny. My insurance covered $300 towards any pump so definitely check yours or call and ask!
  • Options
    @cdepperschmidt I fully plan on getting a second pump through insurance. Never know if the old one might die. And I doubt it’s under warranty anymore at this point. Worst case scenario, you don’t use the new one and can sell/donate it to someone else. I started giving away my extra parts (tubing, valves, flanges, bottles, etc) last time since the kept sending me more than I was using. 
  • Options
    Sorry quick jumped on here to post this but I do want to come back and read all as I have like 6 options to choose from. My insurance gave me this website to use. You pick your insurance and they show you your approved pumps. You can enter all your detailed insurance information and submit it and they will shop to you for free within 30 days of due date.
    Www.byramhealthcare.com like I said I have like 6 options to choose from. Easy way to see what options you have! 
    Thank you for this!! It looks like BCBS-IL offers a ton! Including Medela and Spectra 2. Also the Evenflow Deluxe, Freemie Hands Free, Lansinoh Smartpump, and Ameda Finesse.
  • Options
    I had a Medela pump in style advanced last time but hardly got any milk.  I ended up renting a hospital grade pump and that doubled what I pumped (still was not enough but definitely a help).  This time I have a different insurance and the only pump they offer is Ameda but I cant remember which one.  Any one have experience with Ameda?
  • Options
    I started with a borrowed medela pump in style which was a few years old. Then i got a lansinoh through insurance. That lansinoh lasted me pumping at work for over 1 1/2 years and I've used it with batteries in a car, random places and the suction was just as good. I may be looking at the spectra this time after reading some of these, but i agree getting the right size flange makes a huge difference!
  • Options
    How do you know what the correct size flange is?  
  • Options
    It depends on how your nipple fits into the flange. Here is a link to how you can measure it on Medela's website. 

https://blog.medelabreastfeedingus.com/2015/05/medela-breastshield-sizing-guide/

• Options
    @knottieamusements Honestly, trial and error. I actually used two different sizes on right and left (lefty was a dud). 

Pumpin Pals have really nice flanges. And they come in a set of three sizes so you have options. I know a lot of people also change sizes as milk production slows down in the later months. 
  • Options
    I EPed with my first for 18months. I used a Medela pump in style. I had two pumps. I had one for work and one for home. When my one for home started to lose suction I called medela they walked me through some steps it didn’t fix it so they overnighted me a brand new pump! This time around I’m not sure what I’ll use! I’d love to try a spectra just depends on insurances. 
  • Options
    I love pumpin pals!! I felt like I produced more with those shields!