August 2018 Moms

STM Check in/Chat 3/19

2»

Re: STM Check in/Chat 3/19

• @ecwk totally unscientific, but I don’t believe some kids are more prone to hitting just because of their personality. My nephew never hit a soul, and my niece hits people all the time. My nephew doesn’t even hit her back when she hits him! Some kids do, and some don’t. It doesn’t mean they’re prone to violence later in life or anything. They just handle their emotions differently. My kid hits, runs away, doesn’t always obey, etc. Some kids are the complete opposite (like me when I was a child!) It’s just personality and it doesn’t mean they are naturally “bad” or “good.” Some kids are just more strong willed than others. That’s a quality that will serve them well in the future, but it’s a challenge when they’re toddlers! I’m just lucky my kid doesn’t go to daycare, or else I’d have the same woes, I’m sure!

@pghctwife I think they can flip at any time, technically speaking, but they are less likely to after 36 weeks because they have less room.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• ecwkecwk member
    @lalala2004 I don't disagree and I think we are saying the same thing. I don't believe it is his "nature" to be violent, that's the word with which I take umbrage. Definitely not an indication of how they will be later. I used to bite my sister a lot when I was very young. I don't do that these days! 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @pghctwife I googled yesterday when the technician typed breech in the a/s and it says anytime really
  • aj1327aj1327 member
    edited March 2018
    ecwk said:
    @lalala2004 I don't disagree and I think we are saying the same thing. I don't believe it is his "nature" to be violent, that's the word with which I take umbrage. Definitely not an indication of how they will be later. I used to bite my sister a lot when I was very young. I don't do that these days! 
    Honestly my son was a challenge from 10-18 months because he started walking at 10 months and was running by 12 months and into everything. I think 18 months was when the initial hitting started and I started “time outs.” Once we hit two, he was easy as could be and I didn’t know what the fuss was about two. He was super sensitive, snuggly, and sweet. Then 2.5 hit, and all my parenting confidence went out the window. He’s still sensitive, sweet, and snuggly, but he’s also strong willed, wants what he wants, and is hitting us to show he’s angry. He falls on top of kids when he wants to play and this behavior happened at school yesterday. He’s just extremely physical and that’s how he shows emotions. I guess that’s his “nature,” but it wasn’t 6 months ago. So I guess I feel like challenges are coming for every parent, it’s just what “phase” your kid is in at that moment. Sounds like you’re doing great @ecwk. This phase will pass and all we can hope for as parents is that we get a few months of easy before the next phase hits! And let’s hope the our big kids decide to be “easy”  in August!  ;)

• @ecwk Oh, goodness, I definitely didn't mean to imply that your son is violent by nature, I definitely should have chosen a better word.  Sorry!  I was thinking about temperament, in that there are a lot of individual differences between people that are apparent from birth, and therefore not due to parenting.  My kid has a pretty fearful temperament, which I think makes him a little less impulsive, since he's so scared of what will happen. 

I was trying to emphasize that differences between kids are not necessarily due to how they are raised, sometimes kids are just different.  I didn't even think about how it could be interpreted because I would never classify a two year old as violent, that implies a whole level of intention and cruelty that they aren't even close to capable of at that age.

Sorry, I've got a degree in psychology, and while I think an awful lot of what I learned is a major oversimplification or over-interpretation of what people are like, sometimes the vocabulary still comes out.  In this case, nature versus nurture.  I was trying to make clear that it had nothing to do with nurture, the way he's being raised, so I went with the inverse, nature.  They're used because they sound similar, but they're not the best for a discussion like this.
  • Replying so I remember to comment on the hitting @ecwk I dealt with pushing with my oldest. I’ll write more after work 

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• ecwkecwk member
    @secretstapler I really appreciate that and I do know that it was not your intention to imply that. The nature vs nurture - I understand what you mean. Thanks love xo 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ecwk. Thanks!  I was feeling pretty terrible that I implied anything like that.  I'm glad you said something, though, even if you hadn't heard it that way, I'd hate for anyone else to think that's what I meant.
  • ecwkecwk member
    @ecwk. Thanks!  I was feeling pretty terrible that I implied anything like that.  I'm glad you said something, though, even if you hadn't heard it that way, I'd hate for anyone else to think that's what I meant.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • How far along are you? How big is baby? 
    19w 5d a mini rugby ball according to @livinthesunnylife awesome chart
    Age(s) of other child(ren)? 
    14m 
    Rants/Raves?
    DS has been picking up on so much. It's great that I can ask him to find a ball or to stand up and he knows what I mean. 
    Questions?
    Nope 
    GTKY:  Apart from the absolute necessities (and the people you love) what would you find it extremely hard to go a single day without? 

Hmmm I'd probably say my phone as well, it's basically my camera, book and entertainment device all in one.