August 2018 Moms

TMI Tuesday

13»

Re: TMI Tuesday

• It hurt nursing DS until my nipples got used to it, but he was tongue tied and we didn’t fix it right away because he was latching well and gaining weight. If this one has it we are fixing it ASAP because I think it may have caused some sleep issues.

I didn’t take a single class or go to any kind of groups, but DS just was so easy to nurse, so I lucked out. I’m more committed to nursing this time than I was last time, since I’ve done it once, so I would seek help this time if it’s not going well. I honestly think I would have just gone to formula if I had struggled the first time. DS got formula for 2 months because I started having issues with supply after a trip at 10 months. For me, that seemed so much more of a pain then nursing, but I know everyone is so different and I’m team do what’s best for your family. 
  • pghctwife said:
    The ease and convenience is a pretty common experience after the newborn days. Of course everyone is different, and that’s fine. 
    Relatively speaking this is totally true. It does usually get easier. I just think there is so much out there saying “It’s easy, natural, anyone can do it!” And it doesn’t set people up for the reality and hardships that come with it. Relatively speaking, it was way more easy and convenient for me, but I still had plenty of clogs and blebs, a few bouts of mastitis, and I had to take supplements to prevent clogs until pregnancy dried me up. Most women will go back to work and have to pump, and I’ve never heard anyone say that isn’t a pain in the ass. I’m not returning to work simply because I don’t want to go through that again, but most people don’t have that option. 

My point is, I think it’s more beneficial for people to be prepared for the real challenges that can come, and hopefully they won’t deal with them, but at least they’ll be informed. Throwing glitter and saying “It gets easier!” seems to minimize the challenges many women face.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I just want to throw out there to new moms that it doesn’t have to be all or nothing. You can nurse when you’re home with your baby and offer formula while you’re away or working. So many times (in my nursing groups) I hear moms get discouraged because of a dip in supply or difficulty pumping and feel like they have to give up. But you don’t (if you don’t want to)! There’s nothing wrong with doing both—so you could nurse at night and pump or offer formula during the day. Your supply will regulate to the demand! No matter what your choice, you should feel good about it :)
  • ^yes!!! I’ve told friends that too! No reason you can’t supplement when apart and nurse together, or use a bottle at night to give a feeding to dad, etc. esp once your supply is established 

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w