July 2018 Moms

Weekly Questions 3/5 - 3/11

Re: Weekly Questions 3/5 - 3/11

• I have one that may be kind of an UO also....does anyone prefer regular pants and a belly band to wearing maternity pants?  I really dislike maternity pants and really hope to make it through this pregnancy without having to wear them.  
    Meagan
    <3 Married 6.12.10 <3
    DS 11.8.12
     Baby GIRL! due 7.4.18
  • @stlmegs i love maternity pants! I can’t do the belly band for too long because my pants start to fall and the band starts to rise. I hate dealing with it. I’ll probably live in maternity leggings all summer long and as long as i can pp without looking weird lol
  • Loading the player...
  • @stlmegs I miss my regular pants. However, I have the same problem as @wildtot with the belly band. I've gone over to leggings and maternity jeans. Although the maternity jeans don't fit the belly all the way yet, they are SUPER comfy. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• 4deep4deep member
    I hate both @stlmegs... With the belly band I feel like I’m constantly adjusting and with panel pants I get itchy and uncomfortable. I CANNOT wait until this season of pants is over  :s
  • @4deep I’m ready to just wear dresses all the time! @wildtot I have the same problem with the belly band. @stlmegs Last pregnancy that’s all I wore and when I finally Borrowed maternity jeans I was so in love rather than the belly band! 
  • gingerbride26gingerbride26 member
    edited March 2018
    @stlmegs I'm with @wildtot and @crabcake18 that the band doesn't work for me.  I prefer the full panel jeans to the "under the belly" maternity jeans.  I also plan to make it through with maxi skirts and leggings. (edited because typing is apparently difficult)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @stlmegs I don't really like either but for me the best option has been maternity pants with the stretchy sides not the over belly panel. That way nothing bunches up or slides down but it's comfy and gives me some breathing room. 

The over belly panel stuff definitely creates more of a bump look though. Without it I just look like a gained a few lbs all in my waist. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @runsomewhere I agree about the full panel creating more of a "bump" look. I am clearly pregnant at this point but I hate the muffin top created by the half panel pants. I don't have any side panel I should give them a try!
  • I have some side panels for summer, especially for shorts. I feel like the full panel may make me too warm. For now, I'm loving the full panel and it's not scrunching.
  • Count me in as someone SO sick of pants in general. Can it be warm enough for dresses yet? Maternity or not I just do not find pants comfortable right now 
  • @stlmegs I wanted to get through this pregnancy without having to wear maternity pants, too. I thought I found the answer with the Bella band, but that required a lot of adjusting, like making sure my fly wasn't showing (I can't zip 1 pair of jeans now, but the other pair I have is chugging along!), and after I went to the bathroom. It became a little annoying. So then I decided to try maternity pants. I personally found them comfortable because it doesn't have a zipper or button. But that's just me.

My problem is, why don't the maternity pants I have have front pockets?! I want pockets! And at least a pretend belt loop for my work badge! The ones I have have a pocket that can fit maybe part of my thumb in it. Useless.

Personally, I just want to wear yoga pants all the time, but I sadly can't wear them to work.
  • @supersara2 I think most of my full panel GAP maternity jeans have pockets! It was a legging kind of day today, I’ll check later lol
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm in love with side panel maternity pants and jeans!  I'm hoping to find some cute side panel shorts for the summer.
  • I love maternity pants. I wore them wayyy too long after my son was born. 

Has anyone else felt kicks super high up yet? I swear yesterday the baby was kicking me right under my boob, but I seriously don't understand how that's possible. Shouldn't he be like down by my belly button still? 
  • @zande2016 my baby is breech right now,so I haven’t felt any kicks anywhere close to my belly button lol. At 21 weeks (that’s where I am) I’m pretty sure my uterus is above my belly button. Not quite as high as underboob tho.
  • @hillbillywife It's weird because sometimes I feel him really low, and then a couple times it's been really high. I guess he is just flipping all over the place at this point. I'm also 21 weeks. 
  • @zande2016 I told my OB i swore I was getting hard bump all the way up to my boobs/ribs and he nicely said i was crazy lol He then poked a little above belly button and said it was there and it was other things moving up higher out of the way that was causing it...so I guess it's just gas?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Maybe the babies are kicking and it's moving our organs and that's what we're feeling? Lol. Last night I for sure felt him kicking, or something moving, about halfway between my boobs and belly button, I could feel it on the outside too. 
  • SmashJamSmashJam member
    edited March 2018
    @zande2016 it might not be kicks but you aren't crazy that you're feeling something! I also felt something below my boob as well sometimes and maybe it is gas like @gingerbride26 said or like you said organs moving. Or maybe it's muscle twitches still, I had so many of those before I felt the baby.

Eta: more word
  • I have an opinion question ladies! After baby is born do you think both parents need to go to all the baby’s doctor’s appointments for the first year?

I ask just because I had never really thought about it before and a coworker of mine goes to every single one. He and his wife both went today and since the baby had shots decided to keep her home (with both of them) and not go to work. Mind you she doesn’t go to daycare as she stays with his wife’s mom so someone could easily pay attention to any potential adverse reactions. 

Am I crazy or does that seem like overkill? I asked my husband and he said he may go to the first few appointments but definitely wouldn’t have both of us stay home with baby after shots.
  • @ashbub714 that sounds like overkill to me. My DH took an early day and came to the first shot appointment when DD was born but I went to others alone. 

BUT..... my daughter was healthy, had no reactions to shots, I did not suffer from PPD or anxiety and felt comfortable going alone. 

I could totally understand the father taking the day off to support his wife and going with her if she's nervous, possibly feeling overwhelmed or suffering from PPD/anxiety. In that case he's doing the right thing by his family. Also I have a friend whose DS gets sick after shots, he has temporary but scary reactions, fevers, it's scary. In her position I would definitely want my hubby around. So I guess while typically it is overkill, you never know what their specific situation is. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @ashbub714 I think DH went to the first appt with DS but only because he was still home. He was gonna take 3 weeks off but went in the Friday of the first week, so he missed most of the appts except that first. I don't think he made any special attempts to go to appts unless I was a mess or I also had an appt and it would be easier (my pediatrician and midwives office were next door to each other).
  • @ashbub714 I think it might be a little overkill, but hey if they can swing it it's great they both want to be involved.  A few times he's worked from home with me when she's had shots (I schedule them for my at-home days so she doesn't have to go back to daycare and can nap extra if she wants).  DH tried to go to every dr appointment, but there are SO MANY it's not always feasible with work. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ashbub714 I don’t think my H has been to any of my daughters appointments lol. It seems way overkill to me but whatever floats your boat. If you have the time with work to go to every one then go for it. 
  • @ashbub714 My H has come to all of the appointments (DS is 1 year old) but only because he really wants to. He came to most of my prenatal appointments while I was pregnant, too. He has a flexible schedule and we make the appointments for times we know he will be available. I think it's just personal preference. I wouldn't be upset at all if he didn't want to go and am not bothered that he does. 
  • @runsomewhere yeah I didnt think about PPD being a factor for some people. But in this  situation the mom didn’t have any PPD and this was the baby’s 1 year appointment and she’s never had adverse reactions to shots before.

My theory is he didn’t want to go to a big long boring meeting we had today lol

• Question for STM+, is your fundal height measuring ahead compared to your other pregnancy/pregnancies? Or have you felt movement a lot higher than it seems you should? I'm 23 weeks and can feel kicks (inside and outside with my hand) 3 inches above my belly button. I'm not sure if LO is head down so kicks are just stronger now or if the uterus in second+ pregnancies actually is that much higher than with the first? I'm sure it's nothing to worry about I just feel so much further along than were I am!
  • DH only went to the first appointment (not shots) two weeks after birth. I went on my
    own for all others. The shots always made me cry but it’s just temporary because I know they are necessary. I too had a coworker who went to every single appointment and i thought it was overkill. DS never had any side effects (he actually would get sleepy). I had ppd but it didn’t affect me that way, others could process it differently i guess.
  • My husband goes to 0 of my appointments while pregnant, but went to the babie's first appointment since I wasn't cleared to drive yet. With that being said, I could understand a dad wanting to take off to go in case he had questions and wanted a 2 way conversation with the pedi. Sometimes I think my husband has concerns about our daughter and gets annoyed that I don't share the same concerns or really delve into it with the pedi (for example, he always thinks she is behind on speech and I do not share the same concerns... he is unrealistic imo)

Anyway, I don't think it's the normal thing, but tbh I wouldn't bat an eye about a man taking off for an appointment. Now, if he left at noon for it and didn't come back, that's different (unless something went wrong of course)
  • I think there may be times in which my husband will have to go to appointments...so we are looking at sharing the load. He doesn't work from home like me but my job is equally important and he can have flexibility too so if it works better for him to take the babe I'm not going to be opposed to it! For bigger, more important appointments it will be a good idea for both of us to be there but for some it is not really necessary I think.
  • @kissableviv that is great your DH will actually share the load. When I was still working (granted I had already tossed out to DH quitting after my maternity leave) DH said that his job was more important because if he lost it we were effed, but if I lost mine we'd be fine and I hated it anyway, so I had to leave early for every docs appt, every time he was sick, etc, and it was really a pain for me because I was STILL WORKING so it took a toll on my job. I understand going to pick up our kid if he got sick at daycare since I was a lot closer than him but he wouldn't stay home with him the next day. We had many a fight about it.
  • How often should we be feeling the baby with an anterior placenta at 23 weeks? ugh I hate this so much I know it is too early to do kick counts but it is making nervous some days feeling her a lot and others barely at all 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• How often should we be feeling the baby with an anterior placenta at 23 weeks? ugh I hate this so much I know it is too early to do kick counts but it is making nervous some days feeling her a lot and others barely at all 
    I don’t think there’s a real “number” this early. Even with a posterior placenta I sometimes go a day or so without noticing a whole lot of movement. They’re still so small and have so much space that they can be kicking away hitting nothing but fluid!
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @lindsayleigh1989 what @comealongponds said. You aren't going to feel kicks and punches aimed towards your back regardless of placenta position, and having an anterior placenta just means that feeling the ones aimed at your belly button are going to be hit or miss for a while still. I know it's tricky--I remember calling a few times with DD1 when I didn't think I was feeling her often enough but sure enough she'd meet her kick/movement counts within the next hour. Hang in there! :)

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • @lindsayleigh1989 I asked the doctor today! I feel the same as you. Some days he is super active, others not so much. Doc told me it's normal and to start the kick count when the baby is viable, so at 24 weeks. At that point I should count 10 kicks per hour but only on the hours when he is active. So if he is active at night, then those are the hours I should count. Right now, he sleeps roughly 14 hours (doc said that) . So I'm also trying not to worry! I'm sure everything is ok :) 

On another note, regarding the marginal cord insertion (since someone else has it), so far my baby is in the 50% percentile which is right on track but after my follow up ultrasound on Thursday they may or may not put me on 4-week schedule for growth ultrasounds. OB said it's not a concern so far and that it will not impact labor and delivery if everything goes well with the grow
  • @kissableviv it was me who asked! Thanks for reporting back...sounds a lot like what the MFM told me. My second round of internet research was less scary, and involved finding a story where a woman said that most of the time things turn out completely fine, but the docs still have to mention that the growth thing could be an issue so you aren't caught unawares by something, which I guess makes sense. 
  • My husband has been to all of my son's doctors appointments, except a couple sick visits, and he's 17 months. I missed his 15 month checkup and my husband brought him alone. He had a flexible work schedule and would Always just schedule himself off for it. I don't find it strange at all, we both want to be there so we both go. 
  • @ashbub714

My husband has gone to all of the check-up appointments for my son, who will be two years old next month. This is mostly because 1. he is self-employed so his schedule is flexible and 2. I can't handle needles, so he helps with that portion of the appointment.

However, he goes back to work afterwards and doesn't take the entire day off for it...it's a little overkill to have both parents at home with the kid after they get their shots IMO - unless there is a good reason for it that we aren't aware of. 

Random question: Anyone else suddenly have fat face?  :s  :(
  • @foxbaby2016 my office bitch (coworker) actually said to me last week “wow look how big your belly is!” Followed by “And your face is much rounder too”..... so hopefully that makes you feel better about any weight gain in your face. Which I doubt is noticeable to anyone but you :) I literally said to my SO the day before that I felt like my face was chubby, so when she basically called me fat I almost threw my computer at her. Lmao 
  • My husband only goes to appointments when he’s off or it fits easily with his schedule. If he’s off, I 100% expect him to go, especially when DS was younger and got more shots.. Otherwise, I SAH so I do appointments. 

Question, mostly for STM+ moms I guess? I was pulling out old baby gear from the basement and found out that my car seat is covered in moldy mildew.. I hate mold. I put it in the wash without thinking and now I’m reading that the straps shouldn’t be submerged in water. It all came out looking great.. Should I order new straps? I was really hoping not to have to buy a new car seat this time around.