September 2018 Moms
Options

Weekly Questions 3/3

Re: Weekly Questions 3/3

• Options
    This hadn't been started this week.. I have a few questions for you STMs. 

When did you start your registry?

Also, as soon as we are in the second tri, my mom wants to start buying "small" things here and there when she sees them on sale. Things like diapers, wipes, etc. What items did you ladies find that you were constantly buying? Items that are a for sure that we can start stalking up on? My H wants to start getting a pack of diapers every time we shop, but I know sizing can be weird. Recommendations on the size you used most? We also talked about getting onesies but I know you can never predict what size the baby will be, so would we want to start with a higher size and just wait?

I also want to get little baskets for breastfeeding started. (Bottled water, chapstick, diapers, wipes, etc)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Wishilivedinflorida good points! It's so hard to know in advance. My kiddo was in newborns for like a minute, size one a couple of weeks, 2 for a month or so and size 3 forever, like 6 months-a year. I think we've been in size 4's for like a year.
  • Options
    @Wishilivedinflorida I'd suggest maybe 2 new threads- Registry thread and Postpartum thread. There'll be some cross over with breastfeeding stuff going on the registry but padsicle supplies and hemorrhoid creams probably will be a private purchase. Or maybe they would go on one's Registry! Lol, I think it depends on your crowd ;) I totally buy my mom to be friends breast pads and nipple cream. I haven't bought anyone Tuck's pads or Depends yet, but they would be a legit gift, lol.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @stothi DS has been in size 5’s since 9 months  :o

ETA he’s 11 months now and I’m seriously dreading possibly having to use pull-ups as diapers if he keeps up this growth pattern!
  • Options
    I love the idea of stocking up on target gift cards, or wherever you think you'll go. Last time around we didn't stock up on diapers beforehand and we wish we would have. We've used pampers swaddlers straight through (DD is 2). Pampers Sensitive wipes too. Other stock up items: burp clothes (can never have to many), diaper genie generic refills (always annoying to go for a refill and not have any).

I like the idea of PP thread and registry too. 
  • Options
    @wishilivedinflorida DD is 15 months now and has been in 5’s for a long time. Their growth majorly slows down around this time, plus when they start walking they tend to thin out a bit... so you should probably be ok.

Also re: diapers... don’t trust the sizing on the package! DD is tall and lean and has always fit into the next size up when she’s below the range of weight on the package (we use pampers swaddlers).
  • Options
    The gift card thing is a great idea
    LFAF Awards

me: 27 | husband: 35
    IR PCOS  dx Sept. 2014

married May 2015 --> started NTNP
    BFP 6.28.15 - EDD 3.6.16 
    baby #1 born 2.19.16 

TTC #2 in April 2017
    BFP 12.30.17 - EDD 9.6.18

Fertility Friend Chart
  • Options
    @fwtx5815 DD fit in exactly one of her NB outfits when she was born... granted she was bigger than most of your babies will be. My nephew was born 5lb, 5oz (at 37 weeks) and we had to go out and buy preemie outfits which he fit in for about 2 weeks, then nb for 2 weeks, and now he’s fitting in 0-3 stuff (just over a month old). I do recommend getting one or two nb things but I would probably focus more on the 0-3 and larger sizes. Since you really don’t know how big your baby will be (the growth scans can be off by a lb in either direction), unless you live in the middle of nowhere, I’d rather have to send someone out to pick up a smaller item or two if needed then end up with tons of stuff that won’t be used.
  • Options
    @yosemite2018 yes I agree with all of that. My main point being that I don’t think it’s a good idea to try to skip NB size altogether, which I’ve seen a few friends do and it turned out that their LOs did need that size for at least a couple of weeks. 
    LFAF Awards

IR PCOS  dx Sept. 2014

BFP 6.28.15 - EDD 3.6.16 
    baby #1 born 2.19.16 

TTC #2 in April 2017

Fertility Friend Chart
  • Options
    I agree with all the comments on diapers etc. one brand may fit your lo better than other. We mainly stuck with pampers bc they fit DS better, but he has a long waist and is consistently one size up from the weigh range so they cover his butt crack. We HATED the honest diapers but loved their wipes. 
    With clothes, you are pretty safe to stock up on 0-3 and up when you find sales. No telling the growth rate of your LO, so seasonal items will be hard but general sleepers should be good. DS was in newborn for weeks bc I had supply issues and he didn’t gain until I finally started supplementing with formula.
    I started our registry around 14-16 weeks, but kept it private so I could compare and put things I was thinking about on it before other people could see it. 
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    edited March 2018
    @BusinessWife my husband loved the kimono style onsie and tops. As a first time dad who'd never even babysat before, he was really uncomfortable wiggling a tiny baby in and out of over the head stuff. I was really jacked up after giving birth and it was too much of a struggle to get me in and out of the car so hubby was in change of taking buddy to all his early tests and appts. Buddy was jaundiced from the pre-e so he needed some extra appts early on. Anyhoo, he really liked the kimono style onsies because he could just lay baby flat, unsnap, hand baby to doc, lay baby back down and resnap. Easy peasy. We'll definitely get more for this baby! We really found them to be worth it.
  • Options
    I appreciate all the diaper talk. I didn't realize how much of a difference each brand, and baby, makes. 
    A friend and I were talking about how Pampers work for my baby and I hate Huggies and for her it was the opposite. A mutual friend overhead our passionate discussion of diaper brands and just started laughing and laughing and said, "my how your conversations have changed!!!" We used to talk about boys and dating and going out dancing and what the latest gossip was... Now we debate diaper brands, lol!!! Oh, mom life, I <3 you. 
  • Options
    @BusinessWife Yes to cloth diaper thread. We've been almost exclusively cloth since we came home from hospital, I can totally offer all sorts of info/tips/tricks. 
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Another comment on diapers and wipes to consider: DD had a very sensitive bum and had terrible diaper rashes. ANY wipes made it worse. We still only use “WaterWipes” which are great but more expensive. Pampers Sensitive diapers worked best for us. We gave away a few boxes of diapers and wipes we had bought, because they were aggravating her skin.

You just don’t know what works for you OR baby until you try things, so I’d recommend not stockpiling anything. Even clothes, you don’t realize certain things you live/hate until you’re doing it! And it’s tough to buy the right clothes for the right season in the right size ahead of time. 

One thing im planning to stockpile this time is nursing bras and tanks that are the “pull to the side” type. Those first couple months I just wanted easy and comfy and hated dealing with any clips or pulling my shirt up, and I was just home so much that I loved these. But I only had a couple, and they get dirty so quick. Target has some good ones right now...I bought a set of bras and 1 tank, and am planning to order like 4 more of each. 

For baby stuff, but the book Baby Bargains. You’ll thank me. It’s amazing. 
  • Options
    Anyone here instructed by their doctor to avoid cat litter? My old doctor (left the practice after DS was born) told me the first time around to have DH handle all litter box duties. My current doctor hasn’t mentioned it at all. If it matters, our cat was a rescue but she hasn’t been outside since we got her 2+ years ago 
    LFAF Awards

IR PCOS  dx Sept. 2014

BFP 6.28.15 - EDD 3.6.16 
    baby #1 born 2.19.16 

TTC #2 in April 2017

Fertility Friend Chart
  • Options
    fwtx5815 said:
    Anyone here instructed by their doctor to avoid cat litter? My old doctor (left the practice after DS was born) told me the first time around to have DH handle all litter box duties. My current doctor hasn’t mentioned it at all. If it matters, our cat was a rescue but she hasn’t been outside since we got her 2+ years ago 
    Yep. Luckily our cat is outdoor and he goes outside... but my OB definitely mentioned it again.
  • Options
    Yes, my doctor said to stay away from cat litter. I am a veterinarian and know you can get toxo many other ways but it's just not worth the risk. 
  • Options
    Dang. Okay. I wondered if the first doctor had maybe some outdated advice but it sounds like that’s still current. I appreciate that my husband does the litter without complaint but he doesn’t do it as often as I’d prefer. But I’ll continue to avoid it. Thanks for the input! 
    LFAF Awards

IR PCOS  dx Sept. 2014

BFP 6.28.15 - EDD 3.6.16 
    baby #1 born 2.19.16 

TTC #2 in April 2017

Fertility Friend Chart
  • Options
    Lol yes @BusinessWife, I'm over here like "we've been in large gmd workhorses for seven months but I've only needed 15 in each size to get through every other day washing." 

For ftms: I was TERRIFIED of putting a baby in a onesie. Legit googled it the first time I tried, and then didn't try again for weeks. She as a February baby and lived in footed sleep and plays until I gained the confidence to put her in something else. She was 8lbs 11oz and fit in one nb thing, but was otherwise in 0-3 month clothes at birth.
  • Options
    I'm not a STM... but I've already got our registry up and running on Babylist and I'm about to be in second trimester. We'd been trying for a little over a year when we found out, and I had a "hidden" registry most of that time just to start a checklist for things we would need. It was recommended to us by several friends to not put more than one pack of NB diapers on the registry. Some of the other advice we have been given, has already been mentioned. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    smsaulino said:
    It was recommended to us by several friends to not put more than one pack of NB diapers on the registry. Some of the other advice we have been given, has already been mentioned. 
    The hospital sent us home with a bunch of diapers, and DD actually was discharged from the nicu who also gave us diapers, plus I got a diaper cake at a baby shower. Needless to say I didn’t buy any diapers for a very long time.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @BusinessWife and @Patience7150 I've been slowly increasing our stash since DS was 6 months old so now I'm confident I have enough for 2 in diapers for 3 days between washes. Unfortunately our washer is small capacity so I will generate a load of diapers per day, but it's nice that don't actually have to get them washed and folded if I don't feel like it.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Redpuma119 I just saw where you posted that it hadn't been posted this week. It was posted on 2/25, last Sunday, when it was supposed to. It hasn't left the front page yet. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @Patience7150 What was scary about putting the baby in the onesie? Having to handle and maneuver her limbs into it?
    Me: 34 | DH: 33
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***
    BFP Jan. 15, 2017; MMC Mar. 4, 2017 at 10w6d
    BFP Jun. 5, 2017; MMC Aug. 2, 2017 at 11w6d
    BFP Nov. 20, 2017; ended in CP
    All the tests. Everything normal except treated for ureaplasma and DH potentially has high DNAF.
    BFP Dec. 25, 2017; EDD Sep. 5, 2018; DD arrived Aug. 26th
    My chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/63f71d

• Options
    @Patience7150 @pourmeamocktail my stash is ridiculous.  I've been building it for 2+ years, and have yet to use a stitch!  I used to joke that I could CD quads.  Or like, I was getting ready to CD Rihanna's baby or something.  <<facepalm>>  I mean it'll all get used, and we are hoping to have more than one, and more than two even, so.... less wear and tear???  :#
  • Options
    @businesswife how many diapers do you have? I entertained the idea of cloth diapering but it seems like a lot of work? What made you decide to do it?
  • Options
    @stothi Ahh gotcha! Thanks for explaining. That's awesome that YH got a crash course from the nurses (but sucks you were in bad shape). I hope he remembers what he learned last time! I'm sure it will all come back to him. 
    Me: 34 | DH: 33
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***
    BFP Jan. 15, 2017; MMC Mar. 4, 2017 at 10w6d
    BFP Jun. 5, 2017; MMC Aug. 2, 2017 at 11w6d
    BFP Nov. 20, 2017; ended in CP
    All the tests. Everything normal except treated for ureaplasma and DH potentially has high DNAF.
    BFP Dec. 25, 2017; EDD Sep. 5, 2018; DD arrived Aug. 26th
    My chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/63f71d