September 2018 Moms

Weekly Questions 3/3

Re: Weekly Questions 3/3

• nackienackie member
    edited March 2018
    shouse11 said:
    Since there’s some registry talk here.... Expecting our second and friends are wanting to have a shower for me. Other than diapers and an easier diaper bag (and clothes depending on the sex) I can’t think of anything we really need. Anything you STMs wish you had for the next go around? 
    I need a new infant car seat. I’m also going to register for a sit and stand stroller. Probably a few more cloth diapers. Number 2 is another boy, so we don’t need much in the way of clothes, but every thing to get the room set up needs to be purchased. I’ll put a crib/mattress and dresser on there as well as some decor items and crib sheets.
    I’m not thinking we’ll have another shower, but if anyone wants to buy us anything it’ll be there. And if not, I can use the registry discount at the end to scoop it all up. 
    Edit: actually, we might need clothes. DS was born in January, so the seasons might not line up too well with the clothes we have. I should check that out
  • Loading the player...
  • I used amazon subscriptions for diapers and wipes - you get a great discount and got on a regular delivery. This was SO convenient for us!!! 
  • I already have a registry set up on Amazon that I've started adding things too because I can keep it private. It's mainly just to get the completion discount.

I will also set up one through BRU because that's most likely where I'll get our furniture and I want the completion discount there too. I've been waiting to make that one though until after we announce in case someone stumbles upon it somehow since as far as I know there's no option to keep it private.

MH's parents and grandparents bought our crib, mattress, toddler rail, dresser, and changing table topper for DS so I'm secretly hoping they'll do something similar for this one. And my parents bought our UPPAbaby Cruz so maybe my mom will want to help out with the Vista this time. I am 100% planning for us to be making those purchases on our own, but considering there won't be a shower to spend money on this time, I won't like that a little help on those specifics would be nice.

I really don't think there's much else we need actually. Nothing else big anyway.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • iba34 said:
    @fwtx5815  Regarding the toxoplasmosis and cat litter, you can get tested for past exposure. If you've been exposed in the past, there is no danger to the baby. I have had cats my whole life, including outdoor cats when I was a kid (although my cats now are indoor. I requested to have that tested when they did my initial bloodwork. 

I'm still having my husband clean the cat litter though  :) 
    I’m mentally high-fiving you for this haha.
    I may ask about this at my next appointment since they’re taking allll the blood 
    LFAF Awards

me: 27 | husband: 35
    IR PCOS  dx Sept. 2014

married May 2015 --> started NTNP
    BFP 6.28.15 - EDD 3.6.16 
    baby #1 born 2.19.16 

TTC #2 in April 2017
    BFP 12.30.17 - EDD 9.6.18

Fertility Friend Chart
  • @shouse11 the only thing we need is a double stroller. I’ll probably add things like new tubing for my pump, baby shampoo, a pacifier, and a lovey. We will also need another camera for the monitor but we’re doing construction and probably won’t be done until the end of the year so we won’t need that right away. I think we’ll put this baby in the pack n play until DD is old enough to move to a toddler bed at which point this baby will move to her crib.

I doubt anyone will throw us another shower and if anyone buys us clothes I’m returning or donating them (we have too many as it is, and my sister has a boy, so we are covered!) so the registry will mostly be for the one off requests to buy baby something.
  • @adirat that is my plan if anyone offers to dova shower, maybe a group freezer meal assembly shower? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• @nackie and @DanyTargaryen I didn’t even “count” furniture. We will need another bedroom setup. We did the whole shindig for DS because his room is big enough for a convertible crib to bed, and got a nice non-babyish set that should last until he moves out. This
    new LO’s bedroom can’t accomodate all that, so I think we will go with a kids bedroom set with a cheap crib that can be packed up later. Since we don’t know what the sex is, we will pick out furniture after they arrive. 
  • This hadn't been started this week.. I have a few questions for you STMs. 

When did you start your registry?

Also, as soon as we are in the second tri, my mom wants to start buying "small" things here and there when she sees them on sale. Things like diapers, wipes, etc. What items did you ladies find that you were constantly buying? Items that are a for sure that we can start stalking up on? My H wants to start getting a pack of diapers every time we shop, but I know sizing can be weird. Recommendations on the size you used most? We also talked about getting onesies but I know you can never predict what size the baby will be, so would we want to start with a higher size and just wait?

I also want to get little baskets for breastfeeding started. (Bottled water, chapstick, diapers, wipes, etc)

I started my registry once I found out I was having a boy! I had Amazon and BabyList.

Diapers- my son was in newborn for a while (he was 6lbs) and size 1's- the size he has been in the most have been size 3.. we switched over I think close to 7 months and hes 13 months next week and still in size 3! He's a little guy though- average height but not on chart for weight. (17 lbs at a year)

For baskets- I would add some quick to grab snacks, hair tie, breast pads, nipple cream, burb cloths

Me: 28, DH: 30 Married July 2014  DX: Severe MFI- 3 failed IUI's, IVF #1 Egg retrieval June 4th 2016, 5 day transfer- BFP Baby Boy! EDD 2/25/2017. Our sweet miracle Carter Bennett arrived 2/12/2017 6 lbs, 2 oz 19 inches. <3 Surprise BFP!!! Baby Girl due 10/1/2018.

• fwtx5815 said:
    Anyone here instructed by their doctor to avoid cat litter? My old doctor (left the practice after DS was born) told me the first time around to have DH handle all litter box duties. My current doctor hasn’t mentioned it at all. If it matters, our cat was a rescue but she hasn’t been outside since we got her 2+ years ago 
    Yep- I was also told this. I consider it a wonderful reason for my DH to have to do it haha... ;)

Me: 28, DH: 30 Married July 2014  DX: Severe MFI- 3 failed IUI's, IVF #1 Egg retrieval June 4th 2016, 5 day transfer- BFP Baby Boy! EDD 2/25/2017. Our sweet miracle Carter Bennett arrived 2/12/2017 6 lbs, 2 oz 19 inches. <3 Surprise BFP!!! Baby Girl due 10/1/2018.

• @nlc8424 ooooo!!!! So organized! I love it! I want to be that cool when I grow up!
  • How close is too close to use the same name as someone else?

MH has zero boundaries here. He kept bringing up a certain name when we were trying to pick names last time, and while I like the name, it's his sister's name. And he would absolutely not be naming his child after his sister. He thinks if we like a name, we should use it, and doesn't consider that it will seem like we're naming our kid after someone. Or will seem like we're just ignoring their name, kind of like we're saying, "Oh, sorry you had the name Sara first, but this is the new Sara."

What if we like the name that a relative used for their kid - something like a 2nd cousin or some level of relation that I can't properly figure out what to call them; someone we're FB friends with and see in person maybe once every few years. That still feels a little strange to me but I think I'm probably being overly picky about that, right?  At what point does name sharing become weird?

I'm guessing there's a lot of personal preference here. I try to think about what I'd think or feel if they named their kid MY name. But what's your limit on it?
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • @treeofcheem I think it comes down to the personalities involved. Dh’s sister has he same name as their grandmother, but is NOT named after her! They gave the sister the masculine spelling which has been a pain for her growing up.  Otherwise, it’s the same name. 

To me it’s weird, to them it’s normal.

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• @treeofcheem I’ve thought a lot about this. My cousin’s son is named Oliver, and I LOVE this name for a boy. And we maybe see each other twice a year, so I’m cool with it. I’ll probably let her know that we’re thinking of using it as a name before baby is born (something along the lines of ‘I’ve always loved the name and don’t want you to feel like I’m taking it from you!’)  To me if you’re using a name that a close relative has (sister in law, aunt) or someone you see a lot it’s just worth having an open conversation with them. This is your child; if you’ve found a name you feel is right for them, you should use it! That’s my opinion
  • @treeofcheem I'm trying to figure that out too! Some names like John, Jane, Joseph, Sarah, Scott, ect, really common names I don't think twice. I figure anyone who picked those names knows for a fact other kids will have those names. A Facebook friend/real life acquaintance announced her pregnancy and child's name maybe a week before we announced our pregnancy last time. Totally the name I'd picked out for our baby too. Since she's not a relative or a close friend and it was a common name, I didn't hesitate to still use it. 
    Where I struggle is when friends you see often or close relatives have the same name. I'm so torn!!!
  • I wouldn’t use the same name as a close relative or friend I see frequently, but a Facebook friend or relative I rarely see, I have no issue with.
    DH doesn’t want to use the name if anyone we know in any way has the same name. Before we found out the sex of our last pregnancy we were talking girl names and I suggested one I liked. His response was no, that’s So and So’s sisters name. The sister lived in a different state and we had met her twice at that point. 

• @nackie my husband tried to veto our son's name because he used to work with a guy with the same name and apparently the guy was a jerk. I'd never met the guy though so I didn't care and put my foot down, lol. Poor hubby never stood a chance.
    I'm actually pretty easy going about most things but I was really intensely opinionated about picking our baby's name.
  • treeofcheem  I wanted to use my brother's name but DH said no. 
    I think if you like a name, you can go for it. After I has DD, my cousin asked me if she could use her name too. I really did not have a prob with it, so she did. 
  • @treeofcheem for boys names the only 2 names DH wants are his brother’s name (also his middle name) and my 1st cousin’s name. I said no on both, but these are also very close relatives who we see all the time. He also has friends with those names, other distant relatives, etc. but those don’t bother me. DD has the same name as a good friend from hs who I am Facebook friends with. I didn’t think twice about using it.
  • @treeofcheem I think it's a classic case of "different strokes for different folks." For me I think it's a combo of how often I'd see the person, how close we are, and the uniqueness (popularity) of the name. For example I love Lucas as an option. One of my cousins used it and another attorney I'm friends with used it, but it's an extremely popular and classic name. I also have over 20 first cousins and see this particularl one every couple years, so it stays on the list! No idea if we'd ever use it, but it makes the cut for now. 
  • @treeofcheem - For me, I would never use the name of a sibling, aunt, uncle, cousin, niece, or nephew. Or that of a super close friend or their kid. Otherwise I think names are fair game. A second cousin or FB friend? I would most certainly use a name if that's what we liked. I think a lot of people wouldn't even worry about cousins, but I see mine fairly regularly so it's easier to skip those names. Which actually kinda sucks because I have a big Irish family and love Irish names so there's a lot that has been used up already.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • @treeofcheem a close relation or someone you see quite often, I think it would be weird to have their same name. Unless it's like a name passed down father/son, mother/daughter. But I named my daughter Emily and my cousin's kid is named Emily. There's 18 years between them and I haven't seen that Emily since she was born, so my cousin had no qualms about me using the name too. I did out of respect mention the possibility at my baby shower, but my cousin didn t care.
  • Ugh. I feel like death. Allergies have turned into a sinus infection plus a sore throat. Debating on whether or not getting into my PCP because I start back to work tomorrow. 

BFP#1: 11/15/2010 * Missed M/C 12/28 * D&C 12/29/2010
    BFP#2: 3/31/2011 * IT'S A GIRL! * Born 11/17/2011
    BFP#3 CP 11/15/2014 
    BFP#4 9/3/2015 * Team Green turned PINK * Born 05/16/2016
    BFP#5 12/26/2017 *SURPRISE* Due 09/02/2018
  • Ugh. I feel like death. Allergies have turned into a sinus infection plus a sore throat. Debating on whether or not getting into my PCP because I start back to work tomorrow. 

Since I just did the whole sinus infection thing I have to say, "go! Go now! Get you some antibiotics like 5 minutes ago!" Sinus infections hurt your face and make life horrible. I really do think it's worth getting in to see your doc if you can. I wish I had gone in sooner, cause ow.