July 2018 Moms
Options

Weekly Questions 2/26 - 3/4

Re: Weekly Questions 2/26 - 3/4

• Options
    @zande2016 Another choice would be to pick up some greek yogurts and plastic spoons on the way to the hotel, keep them in the fridge and eat one each morning. A ton of protein, just check the sugar.  The dietitian should give you a diet to follow and if it's still a few days away I'm sure you could google one for the meantime.
  • Options
    I have to travel for work next Tuesday-Thursday to Houston. I have left DS for work when he was younger but I’m concerned about how he will act now knowing mommy isn’t there. I also didn’t feel as bad traveling then like i am feeling this time. Darn hormones! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @wildtot same! I'be left him overnight a few times with his grandparents, and once for 3 days with my husband while I went on a girls trip, and I honestly felt fine about it. For some reason this time I'm having a much harder time. He'll be with my husband/daycare/my mom and I know he'll be fine, but I still nurse him to bed every night and I think part of it is knowing he might be fully weaned and done with that by the time I get back. It's only 4 nights but I already know I'm going to miss in so much. I've also never been 3,000 miles away from him before, so that doesn't help. I'm sure a big part of it is hormones too!! They make everything harder. 
  • Options
    @zande2016 weaning can be such a hard and bittersweet time. Like you said I’m sure they’ll be fine but still feel like I’m missing something. On another note i hope DH realizes how much i do lol
  • Options
    Haha he'll soon find out! Maybe that's the silver lining. 
  • Options
    zande2016 said:
    @kissableviv I checked out the breakfast menu and they do have good options, it's just expensive. My first choice would be room service but of course that's even worse. I'll be in Monterey, and the hotel isn't in walking distance of anything (it's on a big golf course as far as I can tell). I will have a car though so depending on the parking situation (valet vs self park) I might be able to leave the hotel each morning for breakfast. 
    At least it sounds like you are in a posh area lol so I'm sure there will be some healthy eating around there. Monterey is beautiful! 
  • Options
    Where are you all measuring on the anatomy scan? Everything I'm reading says the baby should measure 12 oz at 21 weeks. I had my anatomy scan today that showed baby girl is 14 oz and the my Dr said she's a little behind growth wise showing 47 percentile, but he likes to see 50% and because it's so close there is no concern. So I'm confused as to of baby is actually big or is she small lol
  • Options
    @kbernal2021so weird. My baby was 11oz just a few days she of 20weeks. I'm not sure about the percentile he is in but there were not any concerns. However I still need to see my regular OB to review the results, they were reviewed by the doctor at the lab I went to.
  • Options
    @kbernal2021 I haven't had mine yet but are you closer to 22 weeks? Or halfway there? Since 22 weeks is 15 oz (according to TB) that's all I can come up with, I see 12 oz for 21 weeks everywhere as well! That is odd. I haven't had my anatomy scan just wanted to add that!
  • Options
    @kbernal2021 I had an anatomy scan at 21w and the babies were 14 and 15oz which were the 60something and 80something percentile respectively. Not sure how much of a difference a week makes though 
  • Options
    @zande2016 and @wildtot - confession time - I've only spent 1 night away from DD since she was born May 2016, and it was a month ago because we knew we needed to when the baby comes and decided to make valentine's early date an overnight.  Don't get me wrong - mama needs a time out! We just don't have a lot of sitter options we trust, and I just never travel for work.  DH is going for that stupid bachelor's trip after all (vegas for 4 days with our timeshare - whole other story) and suggested I go away to see my best friend I miss dearly for a long weekend as a make-up girl's weekend.  He actually said "plus I can figure out how to dad alone" - so am I dying or getting divorced? lol ...here's hoping a weekend lines up before i can't fly to NC!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kbernal2021 my anatomy scan was exactly at 20 wks and measuring 10 oz. according to TB that’s average for that week. I will admit I’m shocked because DS was always a week ahead but the doctor is not concerned unless my belly starts to measure small in future appointments. Keep in mind that the further along you are the less accurate the weight and measurements are. Babies can be off by like a pound or so at birth that what was measured. 
  • Options
    @zande2016 That's definitely overwhelming! This is the sort of thing you need guidance on. There's tons of stuff about it on the internet, but it's not the same as sitting with a nutritionist and being given a more personalized approach and how many carbs you're allowed per meal. I was really overwhelmed at first, but it definitely gets easier once you figure out what your body needs (mine just likes to be walked after meals).
  • Options
    @kbernal2021 I had my anatomy scan at 19w4d and my baby was 13oz (the bump says 8.5 oz for 19w and 10.1oz for 20w).  The tech said "measuring chubby" but that all was fine.  Some of the FTMs were discussing this in the FTM thread this week if you wanted to go check out that thread too.
  • Options
    @wildtot for sure- I am a FTM but my coworker had a son a year ago who measured a little under 8lbs around her due date and she ended up having to have an emergency c-section when they realized he was actually 10lbs! Makes me so skeptical of any of these measurements
  • Options
    @devilcat139 that's my biggest fear and also makes me kind of angry that we have so many medical advancements yet we can be so off when measuring babies? Lol. Get it together, science!
  • Options
    NBR question for STMs ..... has anyone ever taken their child to a Paw Patrol or Disney Live show (or something similar)? I am considering ordering tickets for my DS second birthday but the tickets are EXPENSIVE. Anyone know if it's actually worth it? We would probably have to buy tickets for the upper level so we won't be super close to the stage....

I'm starting to second guess myself...maybe I should wait until he is a little bit older....
  • Options
    @foxbaby2016 we are taking my 17 month old to Sesame Street Live this weekend, and to Disney Live at the end of March. I have no idea how he's going to react and whether he'll enjoy it, but he loves watching Sesame Street and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on TV so I am hoping he'll like it. If Sesame Street doesn't go well, I may end up selling our Disney Live tickets. I'll let you know in a few days how it goes! 
  • Options
    At my sono I was 21 weeks 2 days. When I went for my dating sonogram based off my LMP I was 9 weeks 2 days and the sono measured me 7 weeks 3 days so it seems like every sono has shown me behind. She is very active and healthy so my Dr isn't concerned about her growth, I'm just unsure what charts they're going off of based on that growth curve when everything else I'm reading is so different. I trust my Drs advice more than an average but hypothetically speaking if I took my readings for a second opinion I don't think another Dr would say she's small. I'm not concerned I was just curious
  • Options
    Question for those who have been through this....When in your pregnancy did stretch marks show up for you if at all and are you prone to them? I know I'm prone to stretch marks in general and even though the bump is growing like mad I haven't had any yet, but I feel like it's going to happen eventually. I'm wondering what everyone else's experience is with this.
  • Options
    I'll throw in my confession along with @zande2016 and @gingerbride26.  I've never spent a night away from DD and she turns 2 this weekend.  In fact, she turns 2 on Sunday and I leave Monday for a work trip and don't come back until Wednesday.  I know that she'll be fine (DH traveled last month for a long weekend and she was fine without him), but it's bittersweet!  Also, insert eyeroll here because DH is having his mother come over at least one afternoon and to spend the night to help him out.  These are work days where she's in school - he only has like 3 hours total alone with her all day, including both morning and night!  

@zande2016 - I weaned DD at 21 months because the nipple pain while pregnant was too much for me and I personally don't want to tandem nurse.  When she sees me naked she still says "milk" and opens her mouth like a little baby bird.  LOL  It's adorable and I love it even when it makes me sad.  I have a friend who was in your exact situation - her son didn't nurse while she was on her work trip (obviously), she didn't pump at all, but went right back to it when she got back.  She ended up weaning him a month or two later (I think he was 2.5).  
  • Options
    @kbernal2021 At my dating scan they also pushed me back 13 days... but now my baby is measuring big and 5 days ahead... So I'm wondering if the dating scan was a little off? Idk. They are having me come back for a growth scan in 5 weeks, but they just like to do extra scans so I don't know if it is related or just their standard timeline of scans. We'll just wait and see what happens 
  • Options
    foxbaby2016foxbaby2016 member
    edited February 2018
    @zande2016 Yes, please keep me posted!!

@nimmle I didn't start getting stretch marks with my DS until I was around 35 weeks or so. I didn't get them very bad...a couple small purple ones on my sides but that was about it. After I had my DS, I noticed some white stretch marks  that showed up on my belly postpartum but nothing drastic. I applied coconut butter on my belly and sides every night but who knows if that really made a difference or not. 

I'm pretty sure the answer to your question is going to be different for everyone because the tendency for stretch marks is inherited. I would ask your mom (if you can) about her experience. 

*Edited to add that within 6 months or so, the white stretch marks on my belly were BARELY noticeable so even if you start to get some....there is a possibility that they will fade quite a bit!
  • Options
    @nimmle Like @foxbaby2016, I didn't get them until the very end of pregnancy. I thought I was destined for horrible marks because my mom mentioned she had them pretty bad, but I ended up with maybe 2. And they are so small and went away within a few weeks of delivery. Everyone is different, but most people I know had a similar experience - no marks until all of a sudden they got a few at the end. I know it doesn't make a difference, but I put Kiehl's lotion and oil on every day and later in pregnancy, I'll put it on twice a day. I know there is no way to prevent them but something in my head says I'm making a difference.  :p I use the lotion all over my body and do a lotion/oil mixture on my belly and breasts. Even if it doesn't do anything, it sure feels amazing! 

For STMs, anyone else carrying totally different than the first time(s)? I know that every pregnancy is different and my body is different than last time, but I can't help think about the old wives' tale about carrying high or low depending on if you're having a boy or girl. Perhaps there is science behind it? Either way, with my son, I carried relatively low. Now pregnant with a girl, my bump is really high in comparison. 
  • Options
    @Kenya715 - completely differently this time around.  Also had 0 stretch marks with DD and angry purple lines showed up a few weeks ago already this time.  Don't know yet if it's also opposite gender = opposite carry, but definitely huge early and more outward then before.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Kenya715 - I've got zero torso so I really can't tell if I'm carrying different this time or not!  I should probably take a bump picture (it's been a few weeks) and compare them.
  • Options
    Jumping into the size convo - I never received any weight/size measurements after my anatomy scan. I watched while she did them and my screen only said 19w 4d (I was 19w 6d). I also measured a day behind at my first ultrasound. 

I have a question - are anyone else's nipples cracking? Any nipple cream or anything you recommend? They aren't painful or anything - just have like a little crust on them.. haha in don't really know how to describe it, but not like anything I've experienced before. 
    Me: 31 DH: 34 :heart: Married: April 2016
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    MFI Diagnosis: Aug 2017
    BFP 11/1/17 // DS born 6/18
    TTC January 2019
    BFP 3/21/19 // D&C (MMC) 5/8/19
  • Options
    When do you ladies choose what hospital you are going to deliver at?  My OB has rights at two hospitals so I was planning on taking a tour at each... but when am I supposed to do this? Should I have done it already or do I have plenty of time? I tried google but all the articles are "how to choose your hospital".. not when
  • Options
    @MrsMiller8588 - YES!!!  My last BMB had several people have this problem too but I haven't seen anyone else here say anything so I've felt crazy/weird.  It's happened to me both times and I did some research - it's totally caused by nipple dryness.  I've been putting coconut oil on them nightly and it's helping some, although there's still some crustiness.  In case you're worried, it didn't impact my breastfeeding at all with DD.

@moguippy - I can't remember when I toured, but when I did we were definitely the couple earliest into pregnancy there.  Everyone else was within 1-2 months of delivering.  My doc has rights at 2 hospitals as well but one of them had a higher rated (Level) NICU than the other, so we only toured that one and chose to deliver there.  I guess if we hadn't liked it on the tour we would have looked at the other.

• Options
    @MrsMiller8588 are they cracking to the point of bleeding or just dry/crusty? Mine had a weird almost extra layer of dry flaky skin on them a few weeks ago that just peeled off. Gross. If they’re cracking, lanolin worked well for me when I was bf- but beware it’ll stain anything it touches. 

@nimmle I got scary looking boob stretch marks in the 2nd tri with #1 and stomach, side, and hip stretch marks like halfway through the 3rd tri. Plus one where my belly button was pierced. They’ve faded a LOT but they’re still somewhat visible. My mom has a ton too so I think I was destined to get them. I tried bio oil and cocoa butter and all that jazz and still got them lol. Hoping this time I won’t get any new ones but time will tell! 
  • Options
    @MichelleAG05 @mrsmiller8588 - count me in that group - TMI but they're like freaking raspberries in both color and jacked up texture; sensitive and hurt like hell.  I tried some of the medela cream i still had from BF but it didn't help much and it's so oily like @acunamatada said.  I actually used some udder cream - the "udderly smooth" cream in the cow looking package - that I keep around for winter hand cracks and it worked great!

@moguippy - I had no choice, you just went to the one hospital.  We toured a month before my due date which was WAY too late (though we'd been in and out of L&D a few times with false alarms before then lol).  I'd probably try to tour soon if you need to get into both before making a decision - our tours filled up fast.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @nimmle i didn’t get any till late late pregnancy and noticed them after delivery. This time i noticed one so far at 20 wks. I know I’ll get more and expecting my scars to also stretch.
  • Options
    @MrsMiller8588 @MichelleAG05 @gingerbride26 Yup. But only 1 is cracked/flaky and has been for a few weeks. The other one is perfectly fine.  I had been just putting vaseline intensive care lotion on it but I just got a sample of lanolin so I started that yesterday. We'll see how it goes. Right now it's just so itchy which is super awkward at work
  • Options
    wildtotwildtot member
    edited February 2018
    @moguippy my doctor only uses one hospital so i have no choice. But i would say start scheduling tours if you have choices. They tend to fill up surprisingly. With DS i ended up in L&D a few times so i took those as my tour lol

edited to add that some hospitals also charge different fee rates so you can ask your insurance and even check hospital ratings.
  • Options
    @moguippy My dr just gave us the flyer at the hospital we're delivering at and told us to register and make a tour appt. We have it set for Mid-April. 
    TTC History:
    Me: 36 H: 40 Married 2015. Together since 2010.
    TTC: Sept 2016-Oct 2017
    BFP Oct 2017. DD born July 2018.
    TTC: March 2020. BFP March 2020
    Due date was Nov 2020
    DS born Sept 2020. DS passed away Nov 2020 due to prematurity and birth trauma.
    TTC: March 2021
    IUI #1 Nov 2021, BFN
    IUI #2 Dec 2021 BFP.  MC Jan 2022
    IUI #3 Aug 2022 BFN
    IUI #4 Sept 2022 BFN
    AMH test came back at .081. Was going to move on to IVF with DE, but have decided not to. Will be leaving it up to the universe now.

• Options
    @wildtot They are both good hospitals with good NICUs so I don't really have that to go off of. My SIL delivered at one so I asked her about it... but I didn't even think to ask insurance. Off to do that now!
  • Options
    @moguippy if your area has a Facebook group for local parents/mom's, you might get a lot of feedback asking there as well. Women are constantly asking about best hospitals to deliver at/reviews of hospitals on the local group I'm in. I also live in an area where most women choose their doctor/practice based on which hospital they want to deliver at and choose a provider with rights at that hospital.  
  • Options
    @MichelleAG05 Thank you!! I haven't seen anyone say anything so I thought maybe I was alone in this!! I will try coconut oil. Did it ever go away for you? Or not until after breastfeeding?

@acunamatada they aren't bleeding, and not painful - just crusty? It's not something I can feel off - almost just like dry skin.
    Me: 31 DH: 34 :heart: Married: April 2016
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    MFI Diagnosis: Aug 2017
    BFP 11/1/17 // DS born 6/18
    TTC January 2019
    BFP 3/21/19 // D&C (MMC) 5/8/19
  • Options
    @moguippyThis is an amazing tool I was told about in my birth class. It's a "Compare Your Hospital" tool. Simply search the zip code you live or plan to birth in, then click on Maternity Care tab (blue) and see how your hospital ranks!  https://www.leapfroggroup.org/compare-hospitals
  • Options
    @MrsMiller8588 - for me it didn't go away fully until I had the baby.  If I use a wash cloth and rub them in the bath/shower they will get better, then I can use coconut oil daily and it doesn't come back as quickly.  It's super painful to do that though, so I don't do it often.  My doc said not to worry about it at all, so it's more me doing it when the appearance just gets to me!  DD actually pointed to them once and said "yucky".  lol