Infertility
Options

February 2018 IUI

Re: February 2018 IUI

• Options
    @rooonilwaazlib congrats on the big follicle! We are actually on day 10 as well and go in for our scan tomorrow to see where we are at, will probably not iui until Tuesday, that's the usual pattern. Does your RE do bloodwork every time you do an iui? We only ever do scans and a trigger shot so that's interesting to me. 

@FutureMrsMerati I wouldn't mind a gtky at all! 
  • Options
    @rmartin_ttc we do blood and sono on day 3, day 10, and then throughout the next few days after that until they see an estrogen surge.  They monitor follies all along, and estrogen levels through blood.  They tell me when to trigger.  I only do sono on the day of the IUI if they think there is a chance I haven't ovulated yet, and if we might do another round of IUI the next day.  (Being a lesbian couple, we can't supplement with natural methods!)  The first IUI month we did 2 rounds, and last month we did 1 round.  I wonder what we'll do this time!

My wife and I have conceived a babe with my body and frozen donor sperm through IUI, with medication support (clomid, ovidrel, and injections of progesterone)

IUI #1, #2, and #3: Dec 2017, Jan 2018, and Feb 2018 - all BFN
    HSG Test: April 2018 - all clear!
    IUI #4: April 15/16, 2018 - BFP!! EDD: Jan 7, 2019 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @rooonilwaazlib that's so thorough, we don't do bloodwork at all, just ultrasounds to measure follies and then that's how our re tells us when to trigger. My re is also not open on the weekends, so I'm always afraid that that's going to become an issue. We haven't run into that problem yet, but I worry. Our clinic is about an hour from our home and it's the closest one to us, so we don't really have a lot of options. Do most of you guys have commutes to your office as well? Or are they closer?
  • Options
    suzycupcakesuzycupcake member
    edited February 2018
    @rooonilwaazlib Yay for follicle growth! I'm curious. What CD10 bloodwork did you have done and for what reason?

@Chartleib I'm sorry you are experiencing bad side effects. I hope that the headaches go away soon and that you can return to a normal appetite.
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• Options
    It is so interesting how different all the protocols are. My first RE just did scans at day 3, then 10 and based on what he saw on day 10 told me when to trigger and come back for IUI. (it was either day 11 or 14 for some reason)

My new RE only does a day 3 scan for the first cycle and then isn't going to do any more? That worries me a little bit now with two cycles cancelled for cysts. Then we are going to do scans and bloodwork every other day or every day from 10 until IUI. So more monitoring later on but less at the beginning.
    ***Siggy Warning Child and Loss***

Officially diagnosed with unexplained infertility after 4 years of TTC
    IUI#2 gave us DS#1 who became an angel a few minutes after birth from Noonan syndrome
    IUI#4 gave us DS#2 - going strong as a toddler!

TTC again... Found a clinical trial for unexplained infertility and finished 16 weeks of "lifestyle intervention"
    Cycle #1 - cancelled for ovarian cyst x3...
  • Options
    @kistra I agree with how weird it is that different REs do different things. I read so many different things on here and I always wonder if it's just a person to person thing, like what works best for each individual, or if it should be more standard in some way
  • Options
    @kistraIf your RE plans to do a scan every other day or every day from cd10 until IUI, that's some very heavy and focused monitoring there. That will tell them when to have you trigger and if your follicles grew to maturity or not. I wouldn't worry about it.
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• Options
    Hi everyone,
    Jumping into this forum again. I did my first IUI in early Jan, then after that failed I took the next cycle off as my hubby and I were going away on vacation. That natural cycle turned out to be very short - only 22 days - so here I am back getting ready for IUI #2! The plan is to do the same as last time - FSH (Puregon) injections, then natural LH trigger with maybe Ovidrel for backup, then progseterone support. DH has mild MFI and I have a short LP.

I went in for my day 4 US today and it was really weird. The US technician asked me twice to confirm that I had AF (uh... obviously) and whether I'd had a pg test (no). Turns out my endometrium is still at 10 mm - super thick for day 4. So, I was sent home with instructions to wait on my blood work (I think they will check whether I'm actually preggers, and I think there is zero chance of this as I just had a super heavy AF). And for the RE to look at my scans. We'll either wait a few more days to see if the lining thins out more, or I may have to sit out this cycle. So frustrating!! I'm hoping we get it sorted out because I'm anxious to get this show on the road.

Has anyone heard of this before - very thick lining in early cycle? 

Best wishes to those of you waiting on your follies to grow or in tww!

About me & TTC history in spoiler box:
    **CW: BFP**
    Age: 38 DH: 38 Together since 2000, Married August 2010, TTC since April 2016
    IF diagnoses: MFI (3% morphology) & LPD
    1/18 - IUI with puregon & ovidrel - BFN
    2/18 - IUI with puregon & ovidrel - BFN
    3/18 - TI with puregon & ovidrel - BFN 
    5/18 - TI with puregon  - BFN
    6/18 - IUI with puregon & ovidrel - BFN
    7/18 - IUI with puregon & ovidrel - First BFP ever! Beta 12dpIUI: 18, beta 14dpIUI: 48, beta 16dpIUI: 142, beta 23dpIUI: 4797.
    1st ultrasound @ 7 weeks: HB 145
    2nd ultrasound @ 9 weeks: HB 140
    EDD April 2/19

• Options
    @mybabylove2018 Thinking of you today... did you have your beta test? I had mine earlier this morning but am thinking it's a BFN.
  • Options
    Just received our BFN... better luck next month. Pulling for all of you still waiting to hear!! 
  • Options
    @futuremrsmerati I'm sorry for the BFN
    Me: 38 DH:39
    TTC #2 - August 2016
    MFI
    IUI #1-3 BFN 

Heart Mom - DS 3/15/13
    BFP 4/21/18 MMC 6/11/18
  • Options
    @scikap When will you hear about the bloodwork results? That is a very strange situation! No advice, but let us know what you find out
    TTC #2 - August 2016
    MFI
    IUI #1-3 BFN 

Heart Mom - DS 3/15/13
    BFP 4/21/18 MMC 6/11/18
  • Options
    @FutureMrsMerati so sorry for the BFN.  it's so hard.  hope you can do something fun today to counteract the disappointing news.
    TTC History in Spoiler
    Me: 29  DH:34
    TTC 21 cycles
    All TI cycles BFN (with letrozole, ovidrel, prometrium)
    Hysteroscopy + Polypectomy + D&C on 1/3
    IUI #1 February 6, BFP 2/21, CP 2/26
    IUI #2 March 14, BFN
    IUI #3 April 11, BFN
    IUI #4 May 11, BFN
    July 2018 IVF, developed lead follicle, converted to TI, BFN
    August/September 2018 IVF converted to freeze-all: 7 mature eggs; we fertilized 3 and froze 4. 3/3 fertilized and 1 blast!
    October 2018 FET-BFN
    November 2018 FET-TBD

• Options
    Thanks guys! Yes, a couple of my girlfriends from out of town are coming to visit and we're spending the weekend in NYC shopping, going out to girly restaurants and having some tasty drinks  <3
  • Options

@skicap I've never heard of lining being that think on day four of a cycle before, sorry it's frustrating not knowing what everything means, but best wishes that you don't have to sit this cycle out and that your lining thins naturally and your follies grow. 

@FutureMrsMerati sorry about the BFN :( hopefully next month brings you the luck of the Irish and you get your BFP. I'm glad you have something fun planned to distract! 

My wife had her 11 day scan today. It was not exactly what we expected. We had 3 follicles, two twelves and one fifteen, and a lining of 6.9mm. Her lining is never above 8, and our re said that's perfectly normal. We are going back in on Monday to see how much more they have grown and if the lining has bulked up a little bit. Our RE seemed really positive that they would and that the lining would get better, he told her to bring her pregnyl so they could administer and we would probably do the iui Tuesday, as long as everything is where it should be. On another note, all of this took place while I was at work, and while my wife was on her way home our car broke down forty five minutes from home. So the car had to be towed to our local garage and my dad had to pick my wife up from there. And I felt so bad being at work and not being able to help in any way. I was really negative and angry and like "why does the universe hate us?!?" And then I stopped throwing myself a pity party and reminded myself that at least the car broke down after the appointment and while my wife was at a rest stop on the highway, so maybe I'm more blessed than I am cursed lol. Not really sure, but if it works on this try it will certainly make for an interesting story to tell our future child lol. That's been my day so far

• Options
    @FutureMrsMerati So sorry for your BFN. Prayers and good vibes for you!!!

@rmartin_ttc You are such a positive person! Keep up the optimism! Prayers and good vibes for you and your wife!!!
    Me: 29 DH: 30Married 07/05/2008TTC since 09/2013IUI: Oct. 17 2015 BFN: 11/05/15IUI: June 14 2016 BFP: 07/04/16 (Miscarried07/06/16)IUI: Sep. 21 2016 BFN: 10/05/16IUI: Oct. 24 2016 BFN: 10/29/16IUI: Nov. 11 2016 BFN: 11/25/16IUI Feb. 26 2018 BFN: 03/08/18 (First IUI with meds)IUI March 26 2018 BFP: 04/10/18Furbaby: Copper (Shiba Inu) 3 years old

• Options
    @FutureMrsMerati Hi. Tested this morning and also got a BFN. I guess it was not meant to be this month. 
    Welcome back @scikap think we are in same boat with short L.P..
    I will try a final iui in a few weeks.
    Baby dust to all 
  • Options
    Hi everyone! I have introduced myself in a few boards (including TTGP and T-TTC) but this month my RE has decided to start me on a medicated IUI round so I decided to join this thread. A little about myself; I'm 36, husband 33 and we have MFI (low AFC, low AMH, hashimoto's) and my husband has a low sperm count and low testosterone. We've been TTC for 5 years without any success. I started the RE workup a year ago.  Today is CD 3. I just saw my RE yesterday and he is starting me on clomid 100mg CD 3-7, then gonal-F 150mg CD 9. Then on CD 12 we go in for followup ultrasound and once we are ready he will do an ovidrel injection. So we are excited but trying to be realistic as our chances are only around 6% because of my husband's sperm count. My husband and I don't know anyone who has been through this and are friend's don't really understand what we are going through (even though they try to be supportive) so we've just had to deal with this ourselves. It has brought us closer but it is also incredibly frustrating. 

I wish everyone luck this cycle and I hope to get to know all of you better.

Two Furbabies: Mika (american eskimo) and Gypsy (wire-haired terrier, dachshund mix)

Twins: Kaiden and Zara born 10/2018 conceived after 6 years of infertility via a medicated IUI

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker
  • Options
    linz36linz36 member
    edited February 2018
    @FutureMrsMerati and @mybabylove2018 sorry about the BFNs

Two Furbabies: Mika (american eskimo) and Gypsy (wire-haired terrier, dachshund mix)

Twins: Kaiden and Zara born 10/2018 conceived after 6 years of infertility via a medicated IUI

• Options
    @Chartleib thanks! What cycle day are you on? 

@mybabylove2018 Im sorry for your BFN :(

@linz36 welcome! Sorry to hear about your infertility struggles, I hope this cycle works foe
    you! 

@rooonilwaazlib did you go in for your iui yet? 

• Options
    @mybabylove2018 I am so sorry for your BFN. Prayers and good vibes. 

@rmartin_ttc I'm on day 10. 

@linz36 Welcome!

I have my next ultrasound tomorrow to see where my follies are at. If we're in a good place we'll start the injections. Little nervous, but trying to stay positive!
    Me: 29 DH: 30Married 07/05/2008TTC since 09/2013IUI: Oct. 17 2015 BFN: 11/05/15IUI: June 14 2016 BFP: 07/04/16 (Miscarried07/06/16)IUI: Sep. 21 2016 BFN: 10/05/16IUI: Oct. 24 2016 BFN: 10/29/16IUI: Nov. 11 2016 BFN: 11/25/16IUI Feb. 26 2018 BFN: 03/08/18 (First IUI with meds)IUI March 26 2018 BFP: 04/10/18Furbaby: Copper (Shiba Inu) 3 years old

• Options
    @mybabylove2018 sorry to hear about your BFN.  take care of yourself.  wishing you positive thoughts for the future.  

@linz36 welcome.  it is hard when you don't have friends who understand.  it seems like all our friends that have gone through it now have children (which is great!!), so while they understand, they're on the other side of it.  these boards definitely help because people are going through it at the same time you are.

AFM though I am 12dpo, I'm having test anxiety and would rather just wait for`AF (or not! though that seems impossible to me  :| )
    TTC History in Spoiler
    TTC 21 cycles
    IUI #2 March 14, BFN
    IUI #3 April 11, BFN
    IUI #4 May 11, BFN
    August/September 2018 IVF converted to freeze-all: 7 mature eggs; we fertilized 3 and froze 4. 3/3 fertilized and 1 blast!
    October 2018 FET-BFN
    November 2018 FET-TBD

• Options
    @linz36 welcome! I hope you can use this group as a support system

@rmartin_ttc we triggered with Ovidrel last night and I'm going for the IUI tomorrow morning! It must be really frustrating to have all that going on at once for you.  Keep looking for the gifts in all the whackiness.  It's the best we can do and it's great practice for life in general! Chin up and good luck on Tues! We'll be in the TWW together! 

My wife and I have conceived a babe with my body and frozen donor sperm through IUI, with medication support (clomid, ovidrel, and injections of progesterone)

• Options
    @rooonilwaazlib GL on your IUI tomorrow! :smile:
  • Options
    ginny_203ginny_203 member
    edited February 2018
    @rooonilwaazlib thinking of you!! Hope the IUI goes well!

@rmartin_ttc that's exciting about the follicle growth! It seems like the injectiables are working. Let us know how the next scan goes! My new RE mentioned below recommended that we do 3 gonadotropin injections after Clomid if we want to move forward with the IUI approach in order to stimulate more follicles.

We met with our new RE on Saturday and really liked him! He's open to new approaches and has some fresh ideas which is what we were looking for. He went through all of our records and says that he doesn't see anything wrong or that he's concerned with, and says he sees us having success in 3-4 cycles!! However, we are in a kind of difficult spot. With my insurance, we have a lifetime maximum of $20k including medicines and treatments. We've already used up $5-6k of it with the three IUIs we've done and all the testing via our former RE. Our new RE says he's ambivalent about whether we should try another IUI or two with the new gonadotropin injection approach ($2-3k), or move straight to IVF ($10-12k). Although IVF is more invasive, he estimates that we would have a 60-70% chance of success which is much higher than the 20% chance per IUI. However, if the first IVF transfer doesn't work, we would need to start paying out of pocket for future frozen egg transfers at a cost of $5k/each which would quickly add up. We do have a $10k lifetime max with my husband's insurance (which has a $6k deductible) which could save us a bit, but after that we will have exhausted all our insurance options. Would love your opinion on whether you think we should move forward and try another less invasive IUI with a different approach that should create more follicles and help to improve our odds, or jump straight into IVF since our doctor is ambivalent.  As a reminder, we did have a chemical pregnancy with our second IUI, so we do know that approach can work for us. Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    @FutureMrsMerati I'm so glad you had a great appointment and that you got such great news! Prayers and good vibes!

Just got done with my ultrasound and my follies are at a 7 on the left and a 9 on the right, so not where we wanted them to be. Got another ultrasound planned for Thursday to see if I'm at a 16 on either side.

• Options
    @futuremrsmerati Hmmm, that's a tough one! Obviously if money was no object (ha!) I'd say try the IUI with the new protocol. However with that approach quickly taking up your cap, it'd be tough if you did it and it didn't work. Honestly, if it were me, I would just try with the new protocol once (IUI with injectables). If it doesn't work then start the IVF process. Since IUI has worked for you before, this may be the one last push your body needs to get it done. Good luck no matter what you choose! You don't have MFI right?
    TTC #2 - August 2016
    MFI
    IUI #1-3 BFN 

Heart Mom - DS 3/15/13
    BFP 4/21/18 MMC 6/11/18
  • Options
    @FutureMrsMerati if it were me I would try one more iui with the injectibles and then try ivf. I think it would be worth it to give iui another chance (since it has worked before) before jumping into iui. 

We we had another follicle scan today and we have two follicles, a 16 and a 19, so we triggered at the doctors office and we will have our iui tomorrow at 12. I'm cautiously optimistic about this try and hoping this is the one for us. 

@rooonilwaazlib Good luck on your TWW! Hopefully it doesn't drive either of us crazy, it's my least favorite part of the whole things lol. Baby dust to everyone! 
  • Options
    @FutureMrsMerati hey. We are in similar situation, not with insurance but we have a budget. I have had 2 IUIs and now I am thinking, do we do a 3rd, or move to IVF. I am thinking about doing a nutrition programme and then doing a 3rd IUI. then if not go into IVF. tricky one. But think that's what I will do. I am going to take a few months off to do the nutrition plan, then keep going :)
  • Options
    @mybabylove2018 would love to hear more about the nutrition plan!

@rmartin_ttc & @RVAmom315 I think we are leaning towards both of your suggestions - trying once more with the new IUI approach before moving to IVF. I forgot to mention that our new office does the insemination on consecutive days, which should also improve our odds - FX! I'm glad you both agree and think that's the way to go! 

@RVAmom315 we have a slight MFI (never formally diagnosed but count is on the lower side) but my husband has seen great improvements with the vitamins and acupuncture over the last month and a half

@rmartin_ttc so exciting about the follicle growth! Excited for you two. 
  • Options
    @FutureMrsMerati these choices are tough. I'd agree with what had been already suggested here, to try out one more IUI with injectables. I have a good feeling that your next one would be it. I'd be cheering on you.

@rmartin_ttc  Good luck with the IUI tomorrow!
  • Options
    linz36linz36 member
    edited February 2018
    @wishing-and-hoping fx for you

@Chartleib I hope you have a good ultrasound and your follicles are growing!

@rooonilwaazlib I hope this IUI is successful for you, fx

@FutureMrsMerati I'm glad your new RE appointment went well. I recently switched REs and I'm so glad I did; he's much more enthusiastic and positive which really helps. I also think that one more IUI cycle is a good idea!

@rmartin_ttc Good luck with the IUI tomorrow!!!

AFM I'm on day 2 of clomid and the side effects are hilarious (half-laughing). I just got a call from the pharmacy that will be sending my other medication (Gonal-F and ovidrel) and I was pleasantly surprised that they are not as expensive as I though. Seeing as my insurance covers nothing relating to fertility, it's nice to have a break in an unexpected place!

• Options
    @FutureMrsMerati Here's my background if it helps.  Our health insurance was going to not even cover ANY IUI treatment until after 12 months paying on our own, or "trying naturally."  Trying naturally for a lesbian couple is pretty difficult....  So our fertility clinic has out of pocket plans for people whose insurance gives a lot of trouble (I'm guessing it's more often than we'd think) and we pay a flat fee of $2000/month.  That's for IUI with clomid, ovidrel, and progesterone shots.  We run the meds through the insurance Rx plan but that's about it.  I'd check and see if your new clinic has alternative payment options because it sounds like your insurance is going to be difficult to work with throughout this process.  Those jerks!

@rmartin_ttc @linz36 Thank you!!! :)

• Options
    @FutureMrsMerati  I would also say give it another shot with IUI, since you do have proof that you can get pregnant that way, which I think means your tubes are working as they should.

@Chartleib good luck on Thursday, hope those follicles get right where you need them to be!

AFM last night I got a tell-tale pre-AF trigger point headache forming, so I had planned to test this AM to put myself out of my misery, but then totally peed in the toilet and forgot.  guess i will wait until tomorrow...  :/ still just dreading seeing that negative.
    TTC History in Spoiler
    TTC 21 cycles
    IUI #2 March 14, BFN
    IUI #3 April 11, BFN
    IUI #4 May 11, BFN
    October 2018 FET-BFN
    November 2018 FET-TBD

• Options
    @linz36 thank you!

@tinjp78 thank you!

@wishing-and-hoping I hope you get your BFP and AF stats missing, prayers and good vibes and baby dust your way

Had our iui today, everything looked great! Our new donor sperm got top marks in every category, and my wife has EWCM, so everything should be perfect timing. Hoping and praying this is it for us. Nothing to do now but wait 
  • Options
    Hi there. First time posting. My husband and I have now been trying for 29 months this month. We did our first IUI this month and are just waiting. I am anxious and nervous. I have high hopes but low expectations. I wish everyone good luck though. 
  • Options
    @rooonilwaazlib your comment made me laugh out loud re: a lesbian couple trying naturally. Our office does have different "opportunity plans" you can go on that are supposed to help the patient. They still seem exorbitant to me although I don't really have anything to reference against. We should have enough in our lifetime max to cover this upcoming IUI, an IVF procedure and even a frozen egg transfer or two if needed (exhausting my husband's insurance). After that, we are looking at $5k/month for additional frozen egg transfers if needed!  :s

@mben1012 welcome! I have found this forum to be filled with people who are not only wonderful but great resources as well. Glad to hear you're starting your first IUI and I've got high hopes for you.

@tinjp78 thanks so much! :) 

AF started yesterday so I'll go in for my day 3 scan and bloodwork tomorrow, likely starting the Clomid tomorrow as well. Here we go again... :) 
  • Options
    @wishing-and-hoping !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3<3<3<3<3<3

• Options
    @wishing-and-hoping Amazing! Congrats!
    TTC #2 - August 2016
    MFI
    IUI #1-3 BFN 

Heart Mom - DS 3/15/13
    BFP 4/21/18 MMC 6/11/18