May 2018 Moms

Weekly Questions 1/1

Re: Weekly Questions 1/1

• Loading the player...
  • I'm getting my glucose done at 24 weeks this time.  Don't remember when it was done the last few times.
    November Siggy Challenge

• Can you decline the glucose test and do an alternative?  I have severe stomach problems and sugar is a major contributor so I am wondering if I can just have a blood glucose test?
  • Well, the glucose test is a blood test.  They just make you drink the sugary drink and then do your blood an hour later to see how well your body is clearing the sugar.  I think you can decline it, it's just like any other medical test, you're not forced to do it.  But I don't know if there are any other alternatives. 

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP June 2013- blighted ovum, D&C Aug 2013
    BFP Oct 2013- twins!  A&H born May 2014
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• @sandbar517 Aw shux....how much sugar is it actually....like a candybar amount?  I guess I can ask my DR as well.  
  • When I did mine, it was a small soda type bottle size?  Maybe 6 or 8 oz?  I can't remember exactly how much sugar is in it, I want to say 50 or 75 grams?  

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• @nanifrog, maybe a UO, but I didn't think it really tasted that bad.  It just tasted like flat orange soda to me.  But @justsuzie, I agree, they can't really stop you from refusing the test, but I would think (and hope) that they will strongly encourage you to do it.  Unless there is some alternative that I've never heard of.  

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• ivyvines6ivyvines6 member
    edited January 2018
    justsuzie said:
    I wouldn't just have a few hours of stomach problems....I'd have a few days if I had that much sugar.  I would gladly do the finger prick test instead for a few days. I hope that this is an option.  I will bring it up at my next appointment.  
    I would suggest doing finger pricking an hour before and about an hour after each meal, and keeping a food log during that time. (ETA and present that to your OB)

A lot of paleo dieters fail this test because there is so much Sugar is carbohydrates that just aren’t a part of the diet anymore. The other alternative I’ve read is to take jelly beans instead of the drink, but that doesn’t sound like a good idea in this case. I’ve personally been getting really bad headaches and heartburn since all the holiday food started happening, so I’m hoping once we start eating our regular diet (which is like low carbs, and extremely little to no sugar at all) my body will stop feeling like shit again.
  • @sandbar517 it didn't really bother me either. Just tasted like an oversugared glass of orange Kool aid
  • @justsuzie now that I think about it he was on the ground with them, with me right there. I took monthly photos of them next to each other... I apparently forgot about that!