July 2018 Moms

Unpopular Opinion (UO) Thursday

Re: Unpopular Opinion (UO) Thursday

• Sour cream on anything is awesome!
    and I too do not understand the chipotle obsessions. I mean, it's ok, edible, but not my first, second or even fifth choice. 

• the queso st Chipotle was the biggest let down i dont go there anymore because of that haha
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Loading the player...
  • @runsomewhere I'm part of a first time mom FB group that someone added me to with my first. I admittedly do judge some of the posts I see there. I'm not talking about BFing or vax or any of the usual hot button issues, but posts that show pure neglect or extreme ignorance irk me. One in particular that sticks with me is someone who used Clorox wipes on her son's butt because she ran out of baby wipes and "thought the disinfectant would be an added benefit". I truly hope that was a troll posting to get a reaction but I saw red and silently judged the hell out of her. 
  • Oh that's right! I had an anterior placenta last time! You ladies reminded me, that's why I was so late feeling kicks last time. Duh, Christy. Remembered the placenta previa, but I've literally been reading "anterior placenta" all day and just now remembered. Eyeroll emoji. 
  • I guess mine is I let DD have McDonald once a week. After tumble it is late and she actually
    eats it-
    which her eating is rare . 

She always wats her apples first if that helps- haha
  • I guess mine is I let DD have McDonald once a week. After tumble it is late and she actually
    eats it-
    which her eating is rare . 

She always wats her apples first if that helps- haha
    I have a super picky eater but he loves McDonald’s and I’m in the “eating is better than not eating” club. We don’t eat it every week, but  it’s nice to have a meal where nobody complains every once in a while. 
  • @amylu914 wtf?! That poor baby butt!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @elizabethrn87 I figure as long as kids eat I dont overly care what they eat haha
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• @paytonpedro Finally someone that understands lol. My little sister will eat potatoes but prefers rice and that makes me happy because I know she gets that from me ;) 
  • Ahhh, I remember the days of not letting my first child eat McDonalds (no problem with that, McDonalds is gross, more power to ya!).... but 3 boys in now with sports and late nights and did I mention BOYS? Yeah... fast food won. They’re healthy and growing and I can’t ask for much more. We all do our best. 
  • My mom never let me eat sugary cereals when I was a kid, tried my first bowl of Cocoa Puffs at 15, but my little sister, 19 years younger than me, eats fruit loops for dinner sometimes. Lol @4deep
  • Not a fan of Chipotle or Qdoba. Especially the queso. Goodness just call it nacho cheese because that’s what it is! Why say queso it doesn’t make it anymore “Mexican”. Sorry but i totally hate that. It’s like when my DH tries to play around with Spanish words to be silly or pretend to know it. I’m full Mexican and it’s offensive to me sometimes.
  • @wildtot there's a restaurant we go to in LA that has queso fundido with real melty cheese and chorizo and delicious tortillas to scoop it up with. Anything else is just nacho cheese to me. 
  • amylu914 said:
    @wildtot there's a restaurant we go to in LA that has queso fundido with real melty cheese and chorizo and delicious tortillas to scoop it up with. Anything else is just nacho cheese to me. 
    Omg i love that it’s so delicious!!! Wish CO had better Mexican food. Yeah coworkers think I’m crazy for thinking chipotle queso is stupid. 
  • @wildot Chipotle queso IS stupid! DH is from San Antonio and TBH the best queso I've had is in Texas!
  • amylu914 said:
    @wildtot there's a restaurant we go to in LA that has queso fundido with real melty cheese and chorizo and delicious tortillas to scoop it up with. Anything else is just nacho cheese to me. 
    Where in LA? I may need to drag DH to try this oozy yumminess!

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• amylu914 said:
    Where in LA? I may need to drag DH to try this oozy yumminess!
    @zombiehoohaa I'd totally drive 1 hour for good queso!
  • @zombiehoohaa @amylu914 when we went to Barcelona for our honeymoon we had a tapa that was some sort of tomato sauce topped with yummy melted cheese. It wasn’t like liquid cheese (you can tell they are slices) and it was all baked in some ceramic bowl. SO yummy with bread! 
  • zombiehoohaazombiehoohaa member
    edited December 2017
    @kissableviv I'm right there with you!!! If you want a BOMB burrito with some spice, go to El Tepeyac in Boyle Heights (literally not in the greatest area), get the Manuals special. It comes in 3 sizes (sm, med, giant). Salsa Verde, carnitas, rice, beans, guacamole, then smothered with salsa Verde and carnitas chunks. DH was born and raised in East la, so he has taken me to all the great hole in the wall mexican joints, taco trucks, etc. He took me to el tepeyac's for our first date....heaven!!!!! Also, King Taco has AMAZING carne asada sopes, salsa verde, and pina (pineapple drink)...

@wildtot that sounds amazing!!! We went to San Quintin (baja, mexico) and they had these bacon wrapped shrimp stuff with queso. That had to be my 3rd favorite food while there. 

Edit: mobile auto correct blows.

• @zombiehoohaa so sad i never made it to El Tepeyac I always heard good things about it. 
  • @zombiehoohaa @issableviv

I think I've had El Tepeyac before. Do they have the party size 3 foot burritos because if yes I've definitely had it.

The place with the fundido is called Don Antonio's. It's off the 405 closer to Santa Monica. This is embarrassing but DH and I tried it when we first started dating 10 years ago because Spencer and Heidi from The Hills were always there on the show. We were up there for a concert and figured why not and it's still one of our favorite restaraunts. I went to college in Boston and DAs was my first stop straight out of LAX every trip home.  

Aside from the queso fundido they have delicious fajitas and their strawberry margaritas and sangria are out of this world. That part obviously doesn't benefit us right now but definitely worth a post partum visit.  

Omg I just wrote a novel about Mexican food. 
  • Is Salsaritas not a national chain? That’s our “Moes” here, we have all the others including Moes, but I definitely prefer Salsaritas. Best cheese sauce and they season their chips. Mayyyyyy stop there on my way home today.
  • I'm shocked people still eat at chipotle!   I can't do it since their e.coli break out we several years ago, and I was a hard core fan.  

To be fair, I had e coli when I was 10w pregnant with #2.  It was a horrifying experience and I was hospitalized for four or five days.   

Son-10.5
    Son-4
    Daughter-2
    #4- EDD July 14

• @TheQuietThings omg. My mom and stepdad had e.coli during a trip to Turkey years ago. They got it from eggs at a really nice hotel and so did half of their tour group. Horrifying doesn't even describe it, they were in the hospital for 10 days unable to return to Italy. I can't imagine what it would be like while pregnant.

@zombiehoohaa @amylu914 so excited for new places to try!
  • @TheQuietThings I suspect if I had ever actually gotten e.coli I would think differently, especially while pregnant. HOwever, as it is, I give restaurants the benefit of the doubt because often its where they get the food from that is where the e.coli came from, so as long as they address that issue with the supplier then its cool. I have no idea if chipotle did or if that is the case with large chain restaurants, but there was a local restaurant here where people got e.coli from the burgers. It's a well respected place, so they were  just supposed to start cooking their burgers medium and they addressed the issue with their ground beef supplier (a local farm).  This place was pretty notorious for undercooked burgers which contributed. Anyway...I still ate there regularly post outbreak, and only stopped because it was annoying that they could't be bothered to cook the burgers to medium regularly and THAT"s what got me to stop going. Because I don't like the burger still mooing, lol.
  • Seattle doesn’t really have any good Mexican chain restaurants. I’m definitely a big Chipotle fan but if I ever want something more authentic, the local food trucks are usually the way to go. 
  • I am so wanting a Chipotle's burrito. Yum. 
    Mom of 3 (Ginny 4 yrs old), (Miles 2 yrs old), and (Mason due June 15th) 
  • One of the major reasons I am still in Houston is because of all of the Mexican food restaurants and Whataburger. I've tried Mexican food elsewhere, but it's just not the same.... luckily I have gotten pretty good at cooking all of our favorite meals though, so it's not that big of a deal now
  • We have Illegal Pete’s in CO which is similar but way better than Chipoodle. Still though i miss the SoCal Mexican food. I saw dehydrated instant refried beans at target today...looks so gross!
  • I'm so excited to see so many of you moms are Mexican cuisine enthusiasts! It's my absolute favorite food but dare I say I actually like chipotle? Yikes, that may be the UO here! I prefer authentic places better, and would never touch the queso but moes or chipotle are the only fast food places I'll eat in. I haven't had McDonald's Burger king etc in YEARS.  

We make homemade tacos very often.
  • @babybakie DH is mexican and we joke about me marrying him because he knows how to cook the authentic mexican meals. I'm a sucker for it (minus menudo...YUCK!). Growing up my grandma's neighbors would bring us homemade dishes in trade for my grandma doing seamstress work. I could eat it all day!!! Dangit...now I want some abodegas.

• @zombiehoohaa my DH is Mexican as well and I have to watch him and my ILs eat menudo every Saturday. Barf. 
  • @amylu914 the smell is just awful...then the tripe...vomit. 

• @kissableviv it was terrible.   My OB at the time was extremely dismissive and assumed I had hypermesis.  I was in a couple times that week unable to keep anything down, requiring IV fluids. TMI AHEADED.   Then the stomach cramps (worse and rhythmically like contractions) set in.   Then the bloody stool came, and it was only when the er nurse said "ohmygoodness. I'm calling your doctor now" was I taken seriously! 
    @SmashJam FTR, I didn't get it from chipotle, but likely a salad from a local grocer.  However, I'm terrified enough that if a chain was having nationwide outbreak, I'm too scared/cautious/anxious.

Son-10.5
    Son-4
    Daughter-2
    #4- EDD July 14

• Menudo is amazing!!!! I was thinking i haven’t made sopes recently. Mmm gorditas! One reason i miss my mom living close, i hardly have time to cook so it’s usually DH, at least he got the Mexican rice down lol
  • @wildtot sopes are my fave!!!! Do you use lettuce or cabbage? 

• @wildtot sopes are my fave!!!! Do you use lettuce or cabbage? 
    Depends on how brave i am for the after math lol