July 2018 Moms
Options

Weekly Questions (11/20)

Re: Weekly Questions (11/20)

• Options
    Last pregnancy I had an ultrasound way too early, a little before 6 weeks, because the receptionist miscalculated how far along I was when she made my appointment. Anyway, it was discouraging not to be able to see a baby or hear a heartbeat, even though it was normal because it was way too early. This time I am waiting until 7+ weeks and much prefer to wait and be sure I'm far enough along to see something.  It will all be worth the wait when you finally go and get to see/hear everything! Hang in there. 
  • Options
    @runsomewhere I believe most of the early US's you are seeing are ladies who have experienced loss or got pregnant with assistance from an RE (medication, IVF, etc). Trust me, I would trade in my weekly US, weekly blood draws, hordes of medication, and daily injections if I could ;) 

As for symptoms, I don't get MS either, never have. While it is extremely nerve wracking that you don't FEEL pregnant, just stay positive and count your blessings.. MS sucks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @gspmom21 and @Mack2342 thank you for the much needed perspective. I am sorry to hear that you've experienced losses. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @runsomewhere If it makes you feel better, I won't have an ultrasound until the anatomy scan around 20 weeks. They don't do earlier ones around here unless they have to.
  • Options
    So many topics in one thread! For what it's worth I think that organization would be improved if topics had their own threads. Largely because I browse on my phone, but there is so much going on in one thread that I need to get on my computer so I can type out one response for multiple topics. Kind of a hassle, plus it's hard to keep up with all of the specific topics hidden within a vague "Weekly Questions" thread without physical notes. $0.02

@MrsMiller8588 Re: Dental
    Isn't it amazing how dental health affects our whole bodies? I did get a deep cleaning last menstrual cycle, and I'm happy that I did because I was developing gingivitis  :s  I have a mini cleaning scheduled next month, and I need to increase my water flossing so that my hygienist doesn't lecture me.

@runsomewhere Re: Soda
    I stopped drinking sodas regularly years ago because the ingredients horrified me. More recently DH and I have been avoiding added sugars and feel so much healthier because of it. It's nice how when you stop giving your body sugars, you stop craving them. My only crutch is root beer, I might have 8oz once a month.

@ashbub714 Re: Deli meat
    Heated to steaming is best if you can't avoid it. Deli meats do have a general listeria warning, but for some reason listeria loves pregnant women. It can lie dormant for weeks, and result in fetal death (which is terrifying just to think about). This is why cold cuts are not recommended, or raw bean sprouts, or runny egg yolks, or soft cheeses. I can't wait to eat everything on the "No no" list in August :lol:
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • Options
    @acunamatada As of right now they're just talking a colposcopy. I plan on asking when I go in if this is something we can wait on, because when he originally asked me to make the appointment for the colposcopy he said within the next few months, no rush. I'm going to call them in a little bit, I plan on asking if were just keeping my appointment on the 6th for my first prenatal appointment or if my OB wants to still perform the procedure.
    Thanks for the well wishes :) 
  • Options
    @Duckie678 when I had my colposcopy last year, they made dang sure I wasn't pregnant before they began - they said they wouldn't do it if I was (now I'm thinking they might be able to do a colposcopy but no biopsy).  And they for sure won't do a LEEP.  I would definitely make it well-known that you are pregnant and see what they say.  They might just take a look but not biopsy (if needed) until after your pregnancy is over.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    where are my C section mama's! I have to decide which type of delivery to have and Im having a hard time making my choice. could you share how your experience was and if you felt active and present for the birth? would
    you do jt again?
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    Question for any of you guys that already have 2 kids... how much sooner did you start to show the second time around? I know everyone’s different, but just curious what’s typical. 
  • Options
    @lindsayleigh1989 I had a somewhat planned c-section and it was honestly a wonderful experience. I went in for my checkup on my due date and my fluid levels were low, I was having insane pelvic pain, and zero dilation or progression so my doc said "want to get thIs baby out this afternoon?" and I said "YES!!!"

I did feel very present, albeit slightly loopy from the drugs. I do remember every detail vividly, so when I say loopy it was more of a warm silliness if that makes sense. I was in recovery for a couple hours because it took awhile for me to regain feeling in my legs, but all in all my recovery was easy and I don't regret it. The only downfall was the extra nights in the hospital. I wanted to get out of there so badly. 

I am considering a VBAC this time, only because I never felt a single labor pain with DS, not even a braxton hicks. I kind of feel like my body doesn't know how to go into labor and that makes me feel broken to a certain extent, so I want to overcome that. The other part of me is really digging the idea of a scheduled, planned, quick delivery with the RCS. Also, state disability in CA gives you and additional 2 weeks of leave if you have a CS so I would be off for 14 weeks instead of 12. Obviously that shouldn't be a major factor in any medical decision but it is in the back of my mind. 

Whoa that was a novel. Hopefully a helpful novel at least. 
  • Options
    @amylu914 thank you so much for that!! where you able to have the baby with you in recovery? 

• Options
    @lindsayleigh1989 I had an urgent CS with my twins at 33 weeks due to poor presentation (Baby A turned into my hip during labour). I was fully awake and aware the whole time, and did feel some significant pain as they worked Baby B loose from my ribs (he was breech) but otherwise I was okay. I was able to watch them stabilize my boys on the warmers since they were off to one side while they put me back together. Recovery wasn't bad at all but I had the ?benefit of my boys spending the first two weeks in the NICU so I could focus on pumping and my own recovery. I'm aiming for a VBAC this time around because the thought of chasing two active 22m olds around with a fresh CS sounds like pure hell. 
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    amylu914amylu914 member
    edited November 2017
    Yes I was @lindsayleigh1989. While they were stitching me up the baby was still in the operating room with me and was getting cleaned up and weighed and all that, then they gave him straight to me and I got to hold him while they wheeled me out to recovery. We were able to start nursing as soon as we got to recovery. I do not at all feel cheated in that aspect.

ETA: I am not trying to be a c-section pusher. My SIL's advice to any pregnant woman is "just get a C-section" and it bothers me. I just want to share my positive story so it's not as shameful or scary for moms that go that route for whatever reason. 
  • Options
    thanks this is so helpful! Dd's heart decelerated too much and they couldnt stabilize her they rushed me to OR my husband couldn't come in, they knocked me fully out because of how quickly they needed to move and I woke up alone in recovery with no baby and no husband. it was awful. I finally was able to get the nurses there to bring me my phone so i could talk to my husband. my first glimpse of her was a picture text. I loved our Labor and Delivery and I know it was a crazy not normal experience but that is why I feel like i missed out on her birth in some ways and want a very different experience this time. 

• Options
    @lindsayleigh1989 that sounds awful, I am sorry. I'm glad they were able to get your DD here safely but I understand how that would be hard to get past. I would think/hope that you would have a much different experience with a planned RCS but I hope you're able to have a redeeming birth experience either way. 
  • Options
    @mamabird18 I have a Safety first diaper pail and I only smell it when I open the hole yo shove a diaper in. It was cheap too!

• Options
    @amylu914 thanks I appreciate that and for FTM I want you to know it is super rare and not common for that to happen so dont be afraid ;) Yeah I get to seemy OB next monthly visit since I saw the nurse today and plan to ask her how their procedure and what I could expect if I went that route 

• Options
    @lindsayleigh1989 I haven't had a C, but I just went to a birth center tour where they had an anesthesiologist come in and he said they usually do everything possible to make sure the moms are awake and present for the birth, get skin-to-skin, all of that. He said they only put people out in truly emergency situations where there are more complications than just the birth. I'd think that was pretty true of most hospitals; anesthesia is expensive, and they don't want to break out the good stuff if it isn't necessary because insurance won't cover it. If it's planned, also contrary to your last experience, you can for sure request skin-to-skin, or at the very least make sure your husband is with you through the birth then stays with the baby and takes pictures/communicates with you when it's not with you. Having an emergency procedure is very different from having one planned from what I've heard. 
  • Options
    thanks everyone! @christycalifornia that is actually one thing I am really grateful for and one of main reasons I am going back to this hospital even though i had to go down to recovery they immediately brought DD to my husband and did skin to skin as soon as she as born. 

• Options
    @lindsayleigh1989, I had a c-section with my first and due to the type of c-section I had, a VBAC is not an option for me.  The first was an unplanned c-section after I was in labor for 2.5 days and pushed for 5 hours with no progress. Honestly I feel like I got at least two labors out of the first so I’m totally fine with my repeat c!

My hospital is really great with c-sections though.  They still do skin to skin right after, delayed clamping, baby stayed in my room, etc.   I’d suggest talking to your hospital to see what they do.  I think it’s becoming more common for them to try to mirror a vaginal birth experience.  I have nothing to compare it to, but honestly I didn’t feel as though the recovery was that bad, and mine was a more “extreme” cut.  If your planning to BF, I did have a little trouble getting her to latch in the beginning which they said was a little more common with c-sections.  But I’d still say it was within the range of normal.  I’ve had friends who didn’t have c’s who had more trouble. 

I was fully present (though exhausted!) for the surgery. No pain during the surgery though I could feel some tugging, if that makes sense.  

That was a bit of a ramble but I’m happy to answer anything else about my experience.  
  • Options
    ashbub714 said:
    Why is everyone getting ultrasounds at 5-6 weeks? My doctor said they don't do them till  8 weeks. Jealous!
    Oh my gosh! Me tooooo! I’ve been so jealous of all the pre 8 week appointments/ultrasounds I’m seeing. Don’t get me wrong...I’m happy for everyone that gets them...just also jealous. :s:p
    Yes! At first when the doctor's office told me they don't see you till 8 weeks because it's common to not see much before then and it only stressing people out it made sense. I was like ok. Now I'm seeing all these little heartbeats and want to be seen sooner so bad! I have pretty much no symptoms which isn't helping  :'(
    I hear you!  I was just telling DH tonight that this pregnancy hasn’t really set in for me yet, because I don’t feel like I’ve had any of the typical symptoms.  Don’t get me wrong I’m totally happy not to be constantly nauseous like with my first, but in the back of my mind it makes me want to test again.  Especially since my first doc appt isn’t for three more weeks.  Anyways, no advice really...just solidarity!  :)
  • Options
    I've been reading conflicting articles on dying your hair during the first trimester. I'm do for a hair fix however do not want to cause issues. I currently have purplish hair with dark roots. I'm REALLY ready to go back to my natural dark hair. Any advice?

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    @zombiehoohaa, have you used henna to color your hair?
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • Options
    @canucklehead123 Thank you. I already called to tell them I was pregnant and I had my first beta level. I go back in for my second next week. 
  • Options
    @zombiehoohaa I've always heard it's ok to have your hair dyed as long as you are in a well ventilated area.
  • Options
    @echocharlietango Ive heard great things about henna dye however I've never tried it. May have to ask my hair guy about it. 
    @amylu914 That's what I've been reading, too, along with the opposite statements.

• Options
    @zombiehoohaa be careful with henna if you've ever had highlights. I had old highlights (like months or years old) and as my henna faded, the highlights turned green! I'm all for alternative hair colours (I'm currently streaked purple) but an accidental green dip dye was not on my agenda lol
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Anyone dping hcg blood draws still? I had one on Monday, came back at 222 and then one this morning that came back at 501. Numbers are good but will possibky need to go back for another on Friday or early next week. However both times, the ladies at the hospital have done a number on my arms fron drawing the blood. They are now both very sore and bruised and uncomfortable. I have to get it done at that location but I am almost not looking forward to another blood draw just because my arms are so sore and bruised. 
    Married since 5/23/09
    Stepdaughter-2/17/02
    DS #1 born 1/25/10
    DS #2 born 4/25/12
    BFP 2/2016 M/C 3/2016 @ 5 weeks
    Trying for #4 since 11/2015
  • Options
    @busymommy23 ugh that sucks I'm sorry! I had 7 draws by the time I was 6 weeks- my arms were destroyed for weeks  :'(
    Are they using a butterfly needle? I asked them to use them every time, I think the bigger ones definitely did more damage. 

• Options
    @busymommy23 I'm sorry for your experience :( I hate that you have to get them done so many times!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @acunamatada nope just the regular needle. Maybe ill ask for a butterfly next time. Wow 7 draws! That would be rough!

@gspmom21 thanks. It gives me piece of mind getting it done because i can see the numbers growing but man, my poor arms. 
    Married since 5/23/09
    Stepdaughter-2/17/02
    DS #1 born 1/25/10
    DS #2 born 4/25/12
    BFP 2/2016 M/C 3/2016 @ 5 weeks
    Trying for #4 since 11/2015
  • Options
    I don’t feel like searching this whole thread because it huge. Anyone else having an issue with constipation? What are you doing about it? Per dr I am taking stool softeners daily but they don’t seem to be doing much. What else are you ladies doing? If I’m in the wrong thread, please redirect. 
  • Options
    @paytonpedro I did, but mine seems to have resolved. I just increased my fluids and fiber. Hope it gets better for you!
    Me: 31 DH: 34 :heart: Married: April 2016
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    MFI Diagnosis: Aug 2017
    BFP 11/1/17 // DS born 6/18
    TTC January 2019
    BFP 3/21/19 // D&C (MMC) 5/8/19
  • Options
    @zombiehoohaa I’m going in Saturday to get my hair colored. My dr and my bff/hair lady had no issues. I know some people avoid ALL chemical but I’m still planning on keeping up with my hair plan... not sure if that was helpful. 
  • Options
    @mamabird18 omg seriously on the smell! I’ve had mine for 18 months and starting to hate it.

@zombiehoohaa there are some prenatal yoga classes which are amazing!

@lindsayleigh1989 i had a planned c section due to back issues. It was amazing to be able to pick the date but was told it had to be after 39 wks if i made it that far. My incision did open up in the first night and had to go back into the OR but overall not bad. I was awake the whole time and did some skin to skin in the recovery room. I had asked my husband to do immediate skin to skin till i had the chance. I was drugged up but i remember most of it. I heard horror stories from my SILs emergency section but i feel like a planned is can be a lot calmer and “enjoyable”. 
  • Options
    @paytonpedro my issues come and go, but I can usually get something moving with a morning coffee and a stool softener if it gets bad! Nothing worse than not being able to go! 
  • Options
    zombiehoohaazombiehoohaa member
    edited November 2017
    @comealongponds Omg! That had to have been frustrating! I love the bold purple Ive been sporting and have been using Overtone between touch ups. It has helped with the sporadic fading. I'm just at the point where I'm too lazy to keep it up.

@dapple88 Good to know! I texted my hair guy to get an appointment asap because I'm tired of looking like a hobo.

• Options
    @wildtot oh! I need to call a few places then to see if they offer this. I want to keep working out however not hurt myself or baby. Plus I've been told yoga is great for labor.

• Options
    Anyone else having an issue with constipation? What are you doing about it? Per dr I am taking stool softeners daily but they don’t seem to be doing much. What else are you ladies doing? 
    I didn’t go for 4 days (!!). So I doubled down on water, added back my morning coffee, removed bananas and increased fiber. That did the trick!