TTC December 2016
BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
MFI Diagnosis: Aug 2017
BFP 11/1/17 // DS born 6/18
TTC January 2019
BFP 3/21/19 // D&C (MMC) 5/8/19

Re: Weekly Questions (11/20)

• Options
    Also, can I suggest we start using this thread more instead of a new discussion for every question? A lot of our threads are being pushed down due to question threads (vehicles/strollers/etc). I think it will help with board organization and engagement if we try to limit the number of random threads. 
    Me: 31 DH: 34 :heart: Married: April 2016
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    TTC January 2019
  • Options
    Yes! Thank you @MrsMiller8588 that's a great idea. I like having one place to find everything and I also keep losing threads!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @runsomewhere There is no where that I said you can't start a thread. It was a suggestion that I thought could make our board more user friendly and create more of a community versus a public forum that people just ask questions to random strangers. TB is typically more of a community where support is given and received. 
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    TTC January 2019
  • Options
    Yeah @runsomewhere I only meant it in a way that we cam all participate more easily if there are less threads to stay kept up with, you know? On a given day I don't have a lot of time to check threads and reply/give support and I think sticking relatable questions in a questions thread might make that easier. Then we would have one thread to keep up with not 3.
  • Options
    @runsomewhere There is no where that I said you can't start a thread. It was a suggestion that I thought could make our board more user friendly and create more of a community versus a public forum that people just ask questions to random strangers. TB is typically more of a community where support is given and received. 
    I don't disagree with what you're saying for the most part and I know that some boards are more rigid with their organization than others. However, the snark, eyerolling and scrutinizing people for starting a thread does nothing to create more of a community. It's worth lighting up about.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    There's a section in our organization board listing Weekly Questions as a set topic, I'm not sure why this is such a problem. 

My issue is that most of the people who start their own question threads don't also participate in the larger threads. But that's just my .02. 
  • Options
    @runsomewhere  I guess I'm confused because I didn't do any of that. I simply followed the "read this first" and posted a thread and made a suggestion... 

Moving on... I have a question - talk to me about dental care. I know we are at higher risk for gingivitis while pregnant. Are you doing anything special to avoid it? What about teeth cleanings and dental procedures? Should I wait until 2nd tri for a cleaning? 
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    TTC January 2019
  • Options
    @MrsMiller8588 - I've been flossing a whole lot more. I carry around floss everywhere I go.
    Me: 34 DH: 33
    DD: 07/19/18
    EDD: 06/22/22
  • Options
    dimeadozendimeadozen member
    edited November 2017

@mrsmiller8588 I found that a sonicare helped me out. I got it for Christmas, so luckily I didn't buy it. I like that it stays on for two minutes so you can time how long you're brushing.

ETA: Since I have my electronic toothbrush... when the dentist gives the trial pack I bring that to work so I can brush during the day. Mine comes in a little bag with tooth paste, brush, and floss, so it's very easy to throw in a drawer at work.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had no idea we were at higher risk for gingivitis during pregnancy, yikes. Neither my doc or dentist mentioned anything last time.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My mom (when pregnant with me) and my sister in law both had dental issues while pregnant, so I’m more conscious I think of it than most. That being said, I don’t really do anything special other than make sure to go for me cleanings when I’m due for one, and to brush and floss often. 
  • Options
    When I was last pregnant and at my 6 month cleaning, my dentist (who is older) said that yes, you are at a higher risk for dental issues but in general, he sees less and less of it (over the past 40 or so years) as people’s dental health overall has improved. So, I took that as something could happen for sure, but if you keep up with the brushing and flossing and regular visits, more likely than not you’ll be fine. 

Lab Mom (x2): Sept/Oct 2014 
    Married: August 2015
    DS: Nov 2016 (36w)
    Baby H #2: July2018 (Team Pink!)

• Options
    I just try and remember to brush twice a day and floss daily-ish. I'm terrible at remembering to floss, but I bring it everywhere. Lately I've been falling asleep without brushing my teeth though. Whoops. 
  • Options
    Per this article, https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-health/dental-work-and-pregnancy/, the 2nd trimester is the preferable time to get dental work done.
    I am horrible at flossing, so I'm having to make a conscious effort to floss daily.  I also keep a travel toothpaste, brush, and floss in a drawer at work, just like gspmom21 does. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    Thank you everyone for your feedback! Now I want to go brush my teeth because I just had lunch...
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    TTC January 2019
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    There's a section in our organization board listing Weekly Questions as a set topic, I'm not sure why this is such a problem. 

My issue is that most of the people who start their own question threads don't also participate in the larger threads. But that's just my .02. 
    I'd think it's because we have a questions thread and somewhere else products are mentioned...maybe people think this is a place for pregnancy-related questions? That's what I assumed, mostly because that's how my last board used it. So strollers, health care etc would go somewhere else or in their own thread. That was just how I read it because the threads don't come with descriptions. But I'll admit I didn't give it a ton of thought. I'm all for regulars who know trying to mostly post in here more, and also agree that if people don't if we get all up in arms about it it'll damage community building. So basically I'm no help. I'm Switzerland. 
  • Options
    @christycalifornia There is also a weekly thread called "product spotlight" that is supposed to be used for products - car seats, strollers, sleep surfaces, etc. June has there's organized REALLY well and is a great resource. I've been meaning to set something up for us but haven't had time. I might be able to tonight. 

I think this thread can be all encompassing for any questions we have throughout pregnancy. I also think we can direct people to this thread without damaging community. At this point I feel more like I'm part of a q/a forum than a community as it is...  
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    TTC January 2019
  • Options
    @christycalifornia I don't have a problem with those threads at all, I think most of those are large enough conversations on their own to warrant their own space. It's the one off posts that rub me the wrong way more than anything. Or the ones that ask a question that was recently brought up in another broader thread. 
  • Options
    @acunamatada oh, totally. I know it's a lot to wade through if you're new, but it's kind of like saying you don't care enough to get to know the board and try. 
  • Options
    Have you guys quit drinking soda? I'm such a Coke Zero junkie and still have one occasionally. I'm not worried about the caffeine but all the chemicals and garbage in soda. I feel like I should just stop but it sounds so good. Other than that I hate processed junk.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @runsomewhere I replace my coffee with coke about once a week. There is something about it that I can't give up completely... 
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    TTC January 2019
  • Options
    @MrsMiller8588 once a week is pretty good. I'm more at a can every other day  :s It's just so damn refreshing and tasty to me. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @christycalifornia yeah that's my take.. Like that's why they have the buffer period where you aren't allowed to post yet, so you have time to lurk and get a feel for the community. 
    I'm not a huge stickler for organization but some of these threads lately are just unnecessary.  
  • Options
    @runsomewhere Have you tried any of the flavored sparkling waters? La crioux is probably the most popular but there's other brands too. I like them when I'm in the mood for carbonation. They can be bad for bloating though... maybe try replacing every other soda with them? I also find if I don't have soda around I don't want it as much. 
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    TTC January 2019
  • Options
    Have you guys quit drinking soda? I'm such a Coke Zero junkie and still have one occasionally. I'm not worried about the caffeine but all the chemicals and garbage in soda. I feel like I should just stop but it sounds so good. Other than that I hate processed junk.
    I have never been a big soda drinker to begin with, however I would indulge here and there. I can't drink them now. All I taste is the carbonation and sugar. It's very unpleasant. 
    My trouble is the coffee/lattes. I live for my morning cup. Within the last week, I can't even finish a 10 oz cup. Bought a hazelnut latte from Coffee Bean this morning and it tastes so off, that I only drank 1/4 of it. It's now sitting on my desk ice cold. I'm so bummed about this. 

• Options
    @runsomewhere yeah... no   :D 
    I still drink a coffee a day, sometimes a Coke Zero too. And all the seltzer. I need the bubbles to keep my sanity and nausea at bay. 
  • Options
    @MrsMiller8588 I like La crioux and the lime Trader Joe's sparkling water but it's just not the same. I think I'll cut down to 2 coke zeros a week. 

@zombiehoohaa I'm a regular coffee drinker as well. When I was pregnant with my DD and didn't know it yet our work coffee randomly tasted horrible one morning, then again the next morning. I kept asking my coworkers wtf was wrong with our coffee and they all looked at me like I was nuts and said it tasted fine. I think we are more sensitive to the bitter notes in coffee during pregnancy. 

@acunamatada Yes! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @runsomewhere I mostly cut it out during pregnancy. I normally only drink 1-2 a week anyway (we don't buy it for the house so if I want it bad enough, I have to get it somewhere else) but I try to refrain while pregnant. 

That said... I am sitting here drink a Crush. Because orange, bubbly goodness. Oops....

Lab Mom (x2): Sept/Oct 2014 
    Married: August 2015
    DS: Nov 2016 (36w)
    Baby H #2: July2018 (Team Pink!)

• Options
    I have never been a big soda drinker to begin with, however I would indulge here and there. I can't drink them now. All I taste is the carbonation and sugar. It's very unpleasant. 
    My trouble is the coffee/lattes. I live for my morning cup. Within the last week, I can't even finish a 10 oz cup. Bought a hazelnut latte from Coffee Bean this morning and it tastes so off, that I only drank 1/4 of it. It's now sitting on my desk ice cold. I'm so bummed about this. 

My problem isn’t cutting out soda, I tend to drink seltzer anyhow, it’s the coffee. I cut out all caffeine when I’m pregnant (just something I’ve done for both of my pregnancies; I know some is totally fine) and getting rid of that morning coffee sucks. It’s not the loss of caffeine because I don’t get headaches or anything when I stop, I just really like coffee and there aren’t as many good flavored decaf options. 

imageimage

• Options
    I actually had a dentist appointment the day I found out I was pregnant this time and she warned me about the increased issues related to pregnancy and scheduled me for two cleanings next year to help prevent that. 

imageimage

• Options
    @runsomewhere - I wasn't much of a soda drinker prior to being KU, but all I've been really drinking is Sprite or Ginger Ale, that's about it. I've cut back on the coffee, because that stuff I could drink all day!

Me: 34 DH: 33
    DD: 07/19/18
    EDD: 06/22/22
  • Options
    Too bad they don't make a pregnancy coffee. Give us ladies our fixes without the off taste and so much caffeine. 

• Options
    So I am high risk early on, so my doctor may be stricter than others, but he told me no caffeine (coffee, tea, soda), no flavored water (those things you squirt in), just plain water and milk only. I had my teeth cleaned prior to getting pregnant, but just practice good dental practices (brush morning and night, floss at night). If you want to be safe, just ask your OB.
  • Options
    @Crystal321 only milk and water?! You poor soul  :'(
  • Options
    I’m a huge Diet Coke addict usually but completely cut it out now because I don’t want the chemicals. With all the nausea I’m trying to eat whatever I’m craving without thinking too much about calories but trying no matter what to cut out anything processed. Did have to have some ginger ale to help with the nausea early on but have realized that hot water with fresh ginger slices and lemon slices works even better so cutting that out now too. Highly recommend it! 
  • Options
    I just asked my OB this question since I have a cleaning scheduled soon and she said it's fine to go for a cleaning anytime.
  • Options
    @acunamatada it's surprising how easy it was to give it all up. I had to stick to it throughout my first full term pregnancy in 2014, and after I stopped BFing a year after the baby was born, I tried to drink diet coke again and I totally lost my taste for it. I have only drank water ever since. I never cared for coffee, but I used to drink 4 or more cans of diet coke a day
  • Options
    Are we really not supposed to eat deli meat when pregnant? Would Firehouse be okay since it’s heated? 
  • Options
    Re dental care, my medical insurance covers a prenatal dental cleaning (separate from dental insurance) because of the higher risk of gingivitis etc while pregnant. Might be worthwhile to check your insurance and see if they have that. 

I try try to avoid caffeine in 1st trimester but I do have a cup of coffee here and there if I'm desperate. Ginger ale is really amazing when I'm feeling queasy, and caffeine free, but all that sugar is not great for the teeth. I do avoid diet soda during pregnancy, and artificial sweeteners in general.