July 2018 Moms
Options

Weekly Questions (11/20)

Re: Weekly Questions (11/20)

• Options
    @ashbub714 I believe the recommendation is to heat lunch meat until it's steaming. I think a lot of ladies continue eating it regardless, and I've heard of some doctors endorsing that. 
  • Options
    @zombiehoohaa I think you're on to something!  Million-dollar idea!

I'll be avoiding coffee for first tri only.  So hard.  Not a soda drinker anymore since I'm allergic to it (corn allergy - corn syrup etc).

Healthier soda: put some maple syrup in sparking water for a homemade cream soda!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    zande2016 said:
    @ashbub714 I believe the recommendation is to heat lunch meat until it's steaming. I think a lot of ladies continue eating it regardless, and I've heard of some doctors endorsing that. 
    Thank you @zande2016 ! I’ve had it twice already since my BFP last week but it’s because I keep forgetting that it’s on the possible “no no” list  :# I’ll definitelg ask my doctor her thoughts but my appointment isn’t until mid December so I wanted to get the opinions of some of you ladies  :)
  • Options
    ashbub714 said:
    Are we really not supposed to eat deli meat when pregnant? Would Firehouse be okay since it’s heated? 
    Not sure what firehouse is but if it's heated to steaming it's "safe." Many people choose to microwave lunch meats to kill any possible bacteria. Personally I eat lunch meats from time to time as long as I trust the source. These days you can get listeria from anything. There was a recall just last week on frozen corn :/
  • Options
    @acunamatada No Firehouse Subs where you live!?! Oh gosh! They are super delicious. You should definitely try them if you’re ever passing through somewhere and see one:) They steam their meats so I was thinking they would be fine but wasn’t positive. 

Seriously...frozen corn?? That’s ridiculous  :|
  • Options
    @ashbub714 What they said about steaming. I know a lot of women don't worry about it too much, and I myself am way more about being sane than strict in pregnancy, and making sure numbers back up risk factors, not just like oh it happened to one person once so now all women must BEWARE! But according to the stats I've read, of all the things that could be potentially harmful because of listeria, lunch meat does consistently hold the highest risk of getting you sick. And listeria pretty much means fatality for the baby. It's not crazy common, but common enough that I avoid it, and I avoid almost nothing. Or I go to a place I've eaten at before, know is clean, and eat a hot sandwich. Delis hold a higher risk than vacuum sealed from the store because of how the meat sits out, especially any 'salads' that make sandwiches. For reference, I got this info from two books: Debunking the Bump and Expecting Better. 
  • Options
    @christycalifornia thank you for the great info! I didn’t know listeria would be fatal for the baby. I think I’ll err on the side of caution and avoid unless I’m able to reheat myself. I appreciate all the input. Y’all are awesome  :)
  • Options
    Does anyone have advice to help these headaches? I have been taking Tylenol when they get really bad, but it really doesn't help a whole lot. I didn't have these in my last pregnancy so it's throwing me off. 
  • Options
    @acciocoffee I wish- I've been having the same issue, and Tylenol isn't cutting it  :/
  • Options
    Those who are avoiding diet sodas and sweeteners...i tend to avoid the artificial sweeteners as well, but heard an npr interview awhile back that said there was plenty of research supporting cutting back on excess sugar while pregnant, but not enough research to say anything negative about artificial sweeteners, so if most docs had to pick they would say go for diet soda. Sorry for that ramble, I had just found it interesting!

Also @christycalifornia love that you referenced. :smile:
  • Options
    @christycalifornia thanks for reminding me about Expecting Better. It was my favorite pregnancy book last time around - I should probably reread it. 
  • Options
    @christycalifornia that is really good info. I assumed that the packaged meat would have higher risk than the "fresh" deli meat, but what you said totally makes sense. 

• Options
    @zombiehoohaa I think you're on to something!  Million-dollar idea!

I'll be avoiding coffee for first tri only.  So hard.  Not a soda drinker anymore since I'm allergic to it (corn allergy - corn syrup etc).

Healthier soda: put some maple syrup in sparking water for a homemade cream soda!
    Patent pending...

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    Does anyone do yoga? If so, do classes usually do all levels in one? I am looking into taking some yoga classes and am a total noob in this area. My gym doesnt offer it, otherwise I'd him that route. 

• Options
    Does anyone do yoga? If so, do classes usually do all levels in one? I am looking into taking some yoga classes and am a total noob in this area. My gym doesnt offer it, otherwise I'd him that route. 
    Most yoga instructors will give you options to modify for your level ("you can take this pose now, or stay where you are...if it's too intense try this...").  You can also look for a "gentle" or beginners class or "yoga for everyone".  If you tell the instructor you're pregnant they will give you special modifications as well  :)

• Options
    I drink Zevias. No artificial colors/sweeteners and they're caffeine free. Some are definitely better then others. The ginger ale is my favorite, the root beer and cream soda ones are good as well, the "sprite" one is decent...You can definitely taste a difference but if you're looking to make a switch it's worth a try!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mack2342Mack2342 member
    edited November 2017
    @acciocoffee and @acunamatada I suffer from migraines and was told to try Tylenol and if it didn’t work to drink caffeine.  I did this with my first pregnancy and it worked. I would take Tylenol give it about 30 minutes then add a coke and it usually worked.  
  • Options
    I think I figured out the cause of my headaches, but we will see if I get any today. In college I used to clench my jaw while I slept and it would cause headaches. I noticed yesterday that my jaw was also sore, so I slept with my old mouthguard in last night and woke up without a headache this morning. I can tell I tried to bite down a lot because my cheeks are sore from me biting them with the retainer. It's caused by stress, so I'm not sure what I'm stressed about. The only thing I can think of is that we are telling the rest of our family this weekend about baby, so maybe I am more anxious about that than I thought.
  • Options
    I have a question. Has anyone had a colposcopy done while pregnant? 
    I had one 8 years ago and they performed the LEEP procedure to remove precancerous cells. I had a checkup with my OB/GYN before I found out I was pregnant and during my pap they discovered abnormal cells again on my cervix. My OB wants me to keep my appointment for the colposcopy on December 6, and he sent me for beta testing yesterday so I should get my results today. I am nervous about this whole situation. Anyone have anything similar happen?
  • Options
    acunamatadaacunamatada member
    edited November 2017
    @Duckie678 I'm so sorry you're going through this-especially while pregnant! I'm not very familiar with that procedure but I would assume the 1st trimester would be the best time to perform it with there being less pressure on the cervix. 
    ETA are they doing a LEEP or just a colposcopy? I know LEEP can put you at risk for scary complications later in pregnancy. If they decide to do more than the colposcopy I would make sure to advocate for yourself and ask what the risks are for both having the it now vs after delivery. 
  • Options
    @acciocoffee I use essential oils to help with headaches. Lavender, frankincense, and peppermint are my go-tos. I’ll put it on my forehead, temples, and the back of my neck. I don’t have migraines though, so idk if it would help those. 
  • Options
    @acciocoffee I use essential oils to help with headaches. Lavender, frankincense, and peppermint are my go-tos. I’ll put it on my forehead, temples, and the back of my neck. I don’t have migraines though, so idk if it would help those. 
    Love essential oils for tension headaches!
  • Options
    Sorry to veer off from coffee and soda! (FWIW I gave both up last time completely but it just cant justify letting go of my morning coffee with my toddler running around haha!)

...any diaper pail suggestions? I used the Munchkin one last time (well, I still am!) but it just does NOT keep smells down!! What the heck?! I need a much better one this time around! I end up having to wrap the diapers in dog bags and it’s such a pain.
  • Options
    @mamabird18 I got the munchkin one with DS too, wasn't a huge fan of the lid contraption. We stopped using it around 6 months and it is in our basement now. I don't remember having a problem with smell though, do you have the one with the baking soda attachment? 
  • Options
    @mamabird18 we used the Ubbi and it was pretty good with smell. Of course i would get wiffs when we'd open the lid but when closed and locked, you wouldn't even know it was in the room. 
  • Options
    @ashbub714 I think it's best to avoid or limit it, however, if its heated we can eat it!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @ashbub714 I had Firehouse the other day and didn’t worry about it. Heated sandwiches are fine!
  • Options
    @mamabird18 I got the munchkin one with DS too, wasn't a huge fan of the lid contraption. We stopped using it around 6 months and it is in our basement now. I don't remember having a problem with smell though, do you have the one with the baking soda attachment? 
    Yes! It broke once, and was replaced by the company (They have awesome customer service btw!) and I had the same problem with the next one. So weird! :neutral:

ive heard good things about the ubbi @amylou512!
  • Options
    Why is everyone getting ultrasounds at 5-6 weeks? My doctor said they don't do them till  8 weeks. Jealous!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Why is everyone getting ultrasounds at 5-6 weeks? My doctor said they don't do them till  8 weeks. Jealous!
    Oh my gosh! Me tooooo! I’ve been so jealous of all the pre 8 week appointments/ultrasounds I’m seeing. Don’t get me wrong...I’m happy for everyone that gets them...just also jealous. :s:p
  • Options
    @runsomewhere I think a lot of those ladies have had losses that warrant earlier looks. My office doesn’t do them until 8 weeks either. Bonus for that is that we will get to see little babies on the first one. 
  • Options
    ashbub714 said:
    Oh my gosh! Me tooooo! I’ve been so jealous of all the pre 8 week appointments/ultrasounds I’m seeing. Don’t get me wrong...I’m happy for everyone that gets them...just also jealous. :s:p
    Yes! At first when the doctor's office told me they don't see you till 8 weeks because it's common to not see much before then and it only stressing people out it made sense. I was like ok. Now I'm seeing all these little heartbeats and want to be seen sooner so bad! I have pretty much no symptoms which isn't helping  :'(
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @runsomewhere I think a lot of those ladies have had losses that warrant earlier looks. My office doesn’t do them until 8 weeks either. Bonus for that is that we will get to see little babies on the first one. 
    Thank you for your positivity. Patience is not my strong suit. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

@runsomewhere I had some bleeding while... going #2... so my doctor wanted to make sure everything was ok, that's why I got mine at 6 weeks. Normally she doesn't see anyone until 8 weeks. I will say, I was pretty excited since she said I was just constipated and it caused a hemorrhoid. :D lol. Since everything was fine and there was no threat to the baby I gladly signed up to see him or her early instead of waiting until next week at my 8week appointment :) 

TMI Tuesday. lol

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think every practice is just different. My MIL is an OB and she recommended going at 6-7 weeks so that’s what we did. Her practice, and another within the same health system, had no problem seeing us at just under 7 weeks and I haven’t had any previous pregnant issues or anything that requires earlier monitoring. Just feel like it depends on the doctor. 
  • Options
    @gspmom21 that's awesome that your little one is doing well and that you had a successful ultrasound.
    Sorry about your butt lol  :D
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ashbub714 said:
    Same! I'm counting down the days until my 8 week appointment. Uber jealous..excited for everyone...still jelly.

• Options
    Regarding the diaper pails, I had a diaper genie and it was okay for the most part. I changed the bags daily, but around 7 months I could only store pee diapers. The poop diapers were too strong. I eventually got rid of it around 1 year, you couldn't bleach the smell out. I might try an ubbi this time so I don't have to buy special bags 
  • Options

@runsomewhere bahahahahahaha, thanks. Joys of pregnancy.

I also think my OB wanted to see me early to make sure everything was ok *TW* due to my recent loss *TW*

Even though I had an appointment I'm still counting down the days too, so long ladies! I have a countdown on my phone.

Also, @runsomewhere it's hard, but try not to be worried with your lack of symptoms. While it's common to have symptoms early, it's also common not to have them until later. Some moms in this group said they didn't have any early symptoms. Can't wait to see your healthy growing bean :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @runsomewhere don’t be too jealous of most individuals getting early US it’s usually due to previous loss(es) or some othe medical condition that warrants extra screening. I’m one of those so called “lucky” ones that get an early one due to 2 losses.  I would much rather be back at the 8 week mark like I was with my DS.  I also went through fertility treatments this time around and they do several layers of testing before releasing me to my reg OB.