April 2018 Moms
Options

Thanksgiving b*tchfest

Look, I have so much to be thankful for and I fully intend to spend time reflecting on it next week. But let's face it: Thanksgiving is also a busy and potentially stressful time for many of us. Feel free to complain about it here.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Thanksgiving b*tchfest

• Options
    We have to fly my three kids to Wisconsin next week to stay with my in laws. I have no idea where or if any of them will sleep - I am night weaning the 18 month old and he is definitely not thrilled about it. On top of that, I'm fully expecting travel delays and could quite possibly spend hours stuck at O'Hare with three kids 5 and under who have gone napless. Why can't we just stay at home and attempt to rest?  :(
  • Options
    g_amossg_amoss member
    edited November 2017
    Sorry you have to travel @Lindsye! We’re hosting 24 for Thanksgiving, so it’s just cleaning and cooking, which is easier than flying with 3 kids. I’ll pray for your sanity  :D

ETA - Where in WI? DH has good friends we go visit a few times a year in Lake Geneva.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They are in a town called Appleton - it's about 30 minutes from Green Bay and we visit his grandparents who live there, too. Hosting 24 (while pregnant with twins, no less!) is no joke. I hope you have lots of helpful guests who plan to bring dishes, too.
  • Options
    lindsye said:
    They are in a town called Appleton - it's about 30 minutes from Green Bay and we visit his grandparents who live there, too. Hosting 24 (while pregnant with twins, no less!) is no joke. I hope you have lots of helpful guests who plan to bring dishes, too.
    Yep - guests are bringing dishes (thank God!), MIL is even doing the turkey and gravy (she also has offered to help clean). I love her!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We also live across the country from our families and it makes the holidays so much more stressful. I wish I could drive over for dinner/a party and then go back to my own house. Instead we’re packing, flying, being a house guest for a week (which is the most exhausting part for me), flying, unpacking, laundry. I feel like holidays would be merrier if we could see each other in manageable doses over the holidays instead of 24/7. 
  • Options
    @rmmorris I could have written this myself! I totally agree - living on top of each other for a week is SUCH a hard way to spend quality time together. It's almost impossible to enjoy anyone's company in that's situation after a week of constant togetherness. I had a hard time with my in laws for a couple years when we were first married and I'm convinced this is why; it's just a tough way to get to know people.
  • Options
    lindsye said:
    @rmmorris I could have written this myself! I totally agree - living on top of each other for a week is SUCH a hard way to spend quality time together. It's almost impossible to enjoy anyone's company in that's situation after a week of constant togetherness. I had a hard time with my in laws for a couple years when we were first married and I'm convinced this is why; it's just a tough way to get to know people.
    Oh boy, don’t even get me started. My inlaws live out of Country and they are coming to stay wirh us over Christmas/New Year for 3 WEEKS. I totally understand why they would come for so long because it’s such an expense for them to fly here but I’m super nervous about how this will go. When my H and I went to Europe to visit them two years ago we only stayed at their house a week. The rest of the time we traveled and visted other places. I thought they would do the same thing but it doesn’t seem like it. Thankfully it will just be my H and I for Thanksgiving this year. 
  • Options
    @lindsye where do you live? O’Hare is the closest airport to us (and yes they can be a PITA without it being a holiday!!) 
  • Options
    @JJMNO1616 3 weeks?!? Good luck, girl! 

• Options
    @mikkimikey we are in Houston, but my husband's family lives in a Wisconsin town that requires us to connect through O'Hare. I have run through that airport pushing a stroller with a screaming child/baby in it more times than I care to remember!
  • Options
    @lindsye oh no no no thank you!! Hard pass! 
  • Options
    We're not doing anything for Thanksgiving aside from watching the parade. Kind of lame, but we just cant afford anything this year and all of DHs family is out in Mexico
  • Options
    lindsye said:
    @mikkimikey we are in Houston, but my husband's family lives in a Wisconsin town that requires us to connect through O'Hare. I have run through that airport pushing a stroller with a screaming child/baby in it more times than I care to remember!
    Ugh!  Good Luck!  Twice now I have chosen to rent a car at ohare and just drive home vs waiting for a connection that’s ultimately cancelled!  Luckily there’s a lot to do at the airport and you can get Garret’s popcorn and Eli’s cheesecake for the wait!  

Dh is from gb and we lived in de pere for a while.  Good news is flying out of Appleton with kiddos will be a breeze for you!   

Im secretly glad dh works retail!  He works all day thanksgiving, so the kids are staying home, doing a small holiday meal for dhs lunch break then watching movies the rest of the day!  My family is mad I’m not bringing the kids to my grandmas but thanksgiving there is more about a quick meal while the guys hunt. Pretty boring otherwise plus a 4 hour drive round trip alone isn’t exactly how I want to spend the day while leaving dh to fend for himself on his biggest day of the year 

• Options
    no huge complaints hopefully but i'll be joining you in braving airline travel for the holidays.  Thankfully we only have one flight and DD has flown so much with me over the years that she tends to be no fuss.  I'll keep my fingers cross that this trip is no different!

@lindsye good luck, traveling with three is no joke and especially with a connection to add to it!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @bchalm Woah. That's insane.

Married: 11/2011
    DS-9/2012
    DD-7/2015
    Sweet Angel Boy born too soon 12/17/17
    EDD-4/2019

• Options
    @bchalm seriously?  yea, I'd say them never coming again would be better for everyone too.  That's ridiculous.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @bchalm That is insane! Your mother in law would faint at my house. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    @ngolimento I would never go back either. Not worth it. 
  • Options
    @bchalm have them come to my house. My daughters art crap is EVERYWHERE. And since my son learned how to make slime... yeah. Just have them come over LOL 

@BarefootContessa that’s awful!!! Yeah booze never solves problems, so if that’s added into the equation, then there could be major blowups!! I hope everything stays calm for you!! 
  • Options
    @BarefootContessa Thats so crazy. And you can't feel bad about how you felt, all you can do is try to help them feel comfortable during the holiday. 

@JJMNO1616 I'm sorry but I literally lol'd at that meme. She sounds super crazy. And right, who moves someone's couch? 
  • Options
    We usually alternate spending Thanksgiving with my family or DH's. My in-laws decided to spend Thanksgiving by themselves in a cabin in Gettysburg and my family won't be having dinner until Friday afternoon, so we decided to stay home this year and invite our neighbors over. Cue a long, dramatic text message from my narcissistic sister about how cruel we are to not even consider inviting her and her fiance for dinner, never mind the fact that she is a nurse and will be working all day on Thanksgiving. I guess she is mad that we didn't invite them, even though we knew they wouldn't be able to make it? I have no clue.

This is the same sister who reacted to our pregnancy announcement with, "Oh.... cool." and accused my husband of mistreating my DD once the new baby arrives. Honestly, she can GTFO with that bullshit. 

Me: 29 DH: 35

Married 5/3/14, TTC ever since

DX: Lean PCOS, Clomid resistant

Femara 7.5 + Ovidrel = BFP! Due 4/15/18

• Options
    jenotontxjenotontx member
    edited November 2017
    @ngolimento Do your in-laws not have other family they can spend the holiday with? Or do you think they could bring some of the food so it takes some of the burden off of you? Sorry to hear you are being put in this position but I am glad to hear your husband is working! I didn't realize he found some work. 

• Options
    @lindsye Oh, I have stories for DAYS. This last little stunt is actually super tame. She told me at my wedding rehearsal dinner that she has cancer and then I later found out it wasn't even true. She is a piece of work. 

• Options
    @JJMNO1616 that is sooo crazy!!! My jaw dropped when I read that. 
  • Options
    @JJMNO1616 that’s not something you “just say”
  • Options
    ngolimentongolimento member
    edited November 2017
    JJMNO1616 said:
    @ngolimento Do your in-laws not have other family they can spend the holiday with? Or do you think they could bring some of the food so it takes some of the burden off of you? Sorry to hear you are being put in this position but I am glad to hear your husband is working! I didn't realize he found some work. 

My FIL is an abusive jerk, and a waste of carbon.  He drove his entire family away, then my MIL's family.  They haven't even spoken to her side of the family in decades (I guess the family couldn't watch a jobless POS loser ruin her life anymore).  So my DH and I are as "entended" as it gets for them.

I hate to say such terrible things, but he is a better person now that he is too busy being in pain from a terminal illness to really have his wits about him.  The only reason I even let him have any contact with my kid at all is because he is in too much pain to lash out at everyone like he normally does (first time I met him, he prayed at dinner for my SIL to not be so fat and ugly so she could get a man.  In front of her).
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Wow, this is some crazy in-law shit. Mine tend to come twice a year for 2-3 weeks at a time, so it's a lot, but nothing as crazy as these stories.

We aren't going anywhere for Thanksgiving, since we are traveling back east for Christmas. I'll be grateful for some time to relax with my little fam but to be honest I'm sad to miss Thanksgiving at home. My family is the best and I can't wait to see them.
  • Options
    @JJMNO1616 What a B! That's so ridiculous!

My Thanksgiving problems are so lame compared to some of these! But...I sent a group message out to sister and SIL asking them what they wanted to bring for Thanksgiving this year. A few days later, SIL replies with "what do I need to bring?" umm..hello?? I just asked what you wanted to bring!! So annoying because now anyway I reply is going to sound like I'm being rude.  
  • Options
    Feeling for all of you traveling and dealing with toxic family members. We did that for years but last year decided we weren’t visiting family for holidays anymore and it’s been such a good thing for us. We stay home and really get to enjoy our own little family. We fly DH’s Mom down usually for an overnight sometime in-between Thanksgiving and Xmas as one night is already a lot with her. And with my mom we only invite her over if she’s not being crazy for lack of a better word. She gets super depressed, anxious and toxic around the holidays every year and I decided I wasn’t going to let that ruin my kid’s Xmas memories because her anxiety and hurtful comments really get under my skin. It’s been a good thing for us although I do sometimes miss the big family holidays I grew up with. On Xmas eve we have friends who stop by throughout the day which is a fun tradition we’ve had for a while now and then we usually fly out Xmas day or the day after for a trip to Europe since flights tend to be cheaper. We’re not sure if we’re doing that this year yet though.

Thanksgiving is bringing me mixed feelings this year though... TW

Last Thanksgiving I started bleeding and at 2am I ended up having to take an ambulance to the hospital because I was in excruciating pain. I had a miscarriage that they’re not sure or not was ectopic since it was so painful. My second miscarriage and the 1st one wasn’t physically painful like that one. To top it off my son had a 104 fever during all this and it was to this day the only night I had ever spent apart from him. My dad, brother and stepmom didn’t come to the hospital even though I told them I needed them and I haven’t spoken to my stepmom or brother since... it’s overly complicated with a lot of other stuff that went down.

So that was rambling but essentially I’m sad about the 1 year anniversary of all that and so grateful about this new little one growing inside me and also feeling a little irrationally scared about history repeating itself. Bahhhh can we just skip over to xmas? 
  • Options
    @julzy I am so sorry for your loss last year, that does sound traumatic.   I totally get why you are feeling anxious.  ((Hugs)).
    BabyFetus Ticker