July 2018 Moms
Options

Spilling the beans...

Re: Spilling the beans...

• Options
    @Katm89 I agree with @christycalifornia don't feel bad about that one bit! You need to feel ready and it be on your time. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have no idea how to handle this  :/ We are seeing my parents for Thanksgiving and I don't think I can hide it. It was weird not telling them when I saw them this past weekend. Plus they know what a wino I am, it's going to be obvious. I'm so not ready to tell them, and if something goes wrong my mom is going to be too emotional about it, the last thing I'd need. We told them after the 12 week ultrasound with DD and I felt much better about the timing then. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Side note, can someone tell me what I'm going wrong with my signature? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @runsomewhere
    try hitting the < / > symbol and pasting it there. TB is notoriously finicky and if you just pasted into your siggy bar without switching to html editing it'll do that. 
  • Options
    @runsomewhere I hear you. I don't really feel like I want to tell people until Christmas, but it's going to be weird not saying anything at thanksgiving. But, if you really don't feel comfortable, know that it's completely your right to keep it a secret as long as you want. If I decide to keep it a secret at thanksgiving, I might accept glasses of wine and pass back and forth with my husband or bring my drink to the bathroom to dump it. I'm hoping things are too hectic for people to really notice. 
  • Options
    We are waiting to tell family at Christmas.  Work girls know because we work so closely together!   For my mom,  we'll tell her 1st on the 16th with any ornament that says,  Our little present is due to be unwrapped 7/1/18. 
    Then for my dad's family we'll do those lottery tickets (they do them every year anyway)  and my in laws.... not so sure,  probably I'll wear a t-shirt that says Tis' the season to be pregnant (makes sense because my sister in law just announced last weekend that she's due the end of May) 
  • Options
    @KatM89 thanks! I totally got it off Pinterest lol

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    @acunamatada I had to tell my parents and family about the baby early. BEC some ppl saw that mix up post on FB and I didn't want our parents finding out that way.
  • Options
    @Katm89 ugh that sucks I'm sorry! How'd they take the news? 
  • Options
    @katm89 That makes sense, but sorry it wasn't what you wanted. 
  • Options
    @christcalifornia and @acunamatada my mom was happy but walking on eggshells because she was scared to say the wrong thing. She said she wanted to say congratulations but said she was scared but it's early. I said of course you can say congratulations, no matter what happens it makes no sense to approach it expecting bad news. Dh's parents said they thought we would have waited longer lol.... And that they will be in Ireland around the due date ... But also congratulations. Dh thinks I am over thinking their reactions. I think I was just excited about Xmas news, but I can tell extended family. It was better than them finding out from the grapevine. Thank God it's my second and I got to share the news of the first baby in a special way. This might be our last baby, so I am a little disappointed it was over the phone. But hey, Rhea slept through the night last night and we got good betas! So that's a win.
  • Options
    Okay, so DS first birthday party is November 18. Since I found out this past weekend the morning of our family pictures, we got some cute pictures with a chalkboard that said “This birthday boy is going to be a big brother!”

My plan is to write short birthday gift thank-you cards for immediate family (my parents, my brother & SIL, DH’s mom, DH’s two siblings) and put a copy of one of the pictures inside - so the birthday thing is still relevant. I’ll pull them aside, hand them out over Thanksgiving weekend as we see everyone. I’ll be 6 weeks and we told these same people around the same time with DS.  

For everyone else, we will do some kind of Christmas or New Year announcement. Haven’t thought that far ahead. 

Lab Mom (x2): Sept/Oct 2014 
    Married: August 2015
    DS: Nov 2016 (36w)
    Baby H #2: July2018 (Team Pink!)

• Options

@djh513 That's a cute idea! I always love when parents incorporate other siblings in their announcements.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Katm89 I hear you on the disappointment. And on the overthinking their reactions. Thinking you should wait longer is really a thought best kept to themselves (seriously. How does this help??) but Id take your mom as just wanting to be sensitive and caring about you. When I first told my close people and they were like "CONGRATULATIONS!" I was like, oh, but wait... I was such a Debbie downer. Maybe she didn't know what was most helpful and was just trying to err on the side of caution. Anyway. Now that it's done, big internet hug to you!
  • Options
    @christycalifornia Yes, its nice it is done. lol I am sure we will all laugh about it one day. DH thinks they were just shocked.
  • Options
    kat029kat029 member
    edited November 2017
    I like the idea of taking the picture and saying, "Say Kat is pregnant!" The shocked looks on my family's face would be SO priceless. Fantastic idea there.

A little nervous about this announcement; I think I'm going to wait it out. I've got a really traditional family, so despite me being in a miserable marriage with my first child, my family was super excited.

This time around I have a feeling that because I'm not married to my SO, my family's going to take the news really negatively. I'm the baby of the family, which means I have a squad of really protective people I have to convince I wouldn't change this for the world.
  • Options
    Im not 8wk til Dec 3rd.  US on Dec 5th.  I want to tell them on Thanksgiving cuz I hate keeping secrets and Im a terrible liar but i think that's too soon.. idk.  If i do, i like the tshirt that says "turkeys not the only thing in the oven."  If not we may just wait til christmas eve, but ughhhhh...  i probably wont last that long! Lol
  • Options
    @kat029 that is really tough. Hang in there, I am sure once the baby is here they will be excited.
  • Options
    So different path on spilling the beans....when is everyone telling work?  I was going to wait until right before Christmas, but we are moving to a new office at the end of December, so December 8 is the last day anyone is allowed to work in the office until after the new year because they will be moving all the furniture to the new place.  I work for a smallish company and my team is small, so I know it's going to be a scramble when I go on maternity leave for them to be able to cover my work, plus keep up on their own projects, so I want to be give plenty of notice so that we can start to plan.  I'll be 9 weeks if I tell them before all of the moving starts....is that too early?  I wanted to tell them in person, not over a conference call.  I'm just curious when everyone else is planning on telling their employers. 
  • Options
    @CareBear622 I’m a SAHM, so I don’t have experience telling employers, but I always told everyone by 10 weeks. Mostly because I was excited and I haven’t had a reason to be cautious (not trying to be insensitive) I don’t think it’s too early, but ignore you’re worried then there’s will still be 7 months until july if you tell in January, and I think that’s fine too! 
  • Options
    @CareBear622 I don't plan to tell my work until after my 12 week visits. They don't need to know before then and the only reason they will fondness out before the New Year is because we have a xmas party and we usually all drink one too many LOL. I work for a small office and last time I went on leave I was their only employee. We all survived although it was rough coming back for a few weeks. Tell them when you feel comfortable,  they will still have plenty of time to adjust schedules if you don't tell them until the new year!
  • Options
    @carebear622 I told my boss after my third beta since I will be going to the doctor once a week. I don't plan on telling my team until I start to show. I might tell the two girls I'm close with, but the two guys on my team could probably care less that I'm knocked up. 

We have two sleeping beauties in heaven.
    Jack gained his wings on 09/02/2016. 
    Kali gained her wings on 07/28/2015.
    They will be forever missed. <3
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    So different path on spilling the beans....when is everyone telling work?  I was going to wait until right before Christmas, but we are moving to a new office at the end of December, so December 8 is the last day anyone is allowed to work in the office until after the new year because they will be moving all the furniture to the new place.  I work for a smallish company and my team is small, so I know it's going to be a scramble when I go on maternity leave for them to be able to cover my work, plus keep up on their own projects, so I want to be give plenty of notice so that we can start to plan.  I'll be 9 weeks if I tell them before all of the moving starts....is that too early?  I wanted to tell them in person, not over a conference call.  I'm just curious when everyone else is planning on telling their employers. 
    I work on a really small team so I told them already (including my boss). Because even if something happens, I would want them to know. I won’t go public with it at work until after 12 weeks. 
    Meagan
    <3 Married 6.12.10 <3
    DS 11.8.12
     Baby GIRL! due 7.4.18
  • Options
    I didn't do anything special with my first, just posted an ultrasound picture on facebook with no comment. Our parents and immediate family got a phone call first.

If I do decide to do anything, it probably won't be until about 6 months. I will most likely just do a picture of DS (2 yo) in a big sister shirt or dress holding baby shoes or something similar. I always prefer to stay on the low key side though
  • Options
    @CareBear622 I only work PT and literally see my supervisors maybe 4 times a year. I plan on telling them in a few weeks after our next workshop, I'll be about 9 weeks. I normally wouldn't tell them so early but it's an office full of women and they were wonderful during my EP last spring, so I know they would be happy for me. 
    At my last job I never formally told my boss, he was a collegue of my DH and found out through the grapevine long before 12 weeks. 
  • Options
    I told my office manager because I had questions regarding our health insurance.  After my confirmation appointment we are going to tell the business manager because our office is in the beginning stages of construction so ill have to be even more careful. But the rest of the office I am going to wait either until after Christmas or when I cant hide it anymore. Which ever comes first.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

BabyFetus Ticker

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    So far overall I’ve only told my best friend- she was literally on standby during the pee test lol, and my closest co-worker who happens to work in HR. It’s good because I don’t have to announce and can still get confidential benefits information from her. 

I didnt plan on telling her (my HR coworker) but we are in a book club that meets once a month and all we do is drink wine. So we had book club right after I got my BFP she asked if I wanted to split a bottle of wine and I told her I’m on the not sharing wine for 9 months thing. She looked at me dumbfounded. But she knew I was trying so she was excited lol. 

My parents ans siblibg will will find out on Thanksgiving, my in laws on the 18th if we are felling okay. 

Then not planning on telling anyone anyone else until the new year- ans just family/ close friends on Christmas. 
  • Options
    danrud36danrud36 member
    edited November 2017
    We're going to give these as Christmas presents and then my sister in law just had her baby 3 days ago and were going to give her a "big cousin" onsie! My husband and I work together at a small restaurant so I think we're going to have my daughter wear a big sister shirt at our Christmas party to tell everyone at work
  • Options
    Regarding telling employers, it depends on your situation, insurance, etc. I would personally wait until the first ultrasound after you know for sure the pregnancy is viable. Coming from a management standpoint, the more notice you give, the more time they have to make a smooth transition during your leave.

In my case, I had to go to an RE so I had to keep the owner in the loop due to my appointments. This time around it's a bit different  (i work at home now part time with flexible hours), but I will still tell them as soon as I get the all clear
  • Options
    Oh man, I have no idea how we'll tell people.  We let my twin nieces tell everyone last time, so we'll probably let DD tell people this time.  She's not a great talker yet, but she learns new words pretty much daily, so we'll see.  I will probably tell my mom after we have the ultrasound though - she got upset last time that I waited until after the first trimester.
  • Options
    @3dogs_and_a_baby I LOVE that. The night I found out we were pregnant we had just got home from a week we Disneyland. 

I bought a big bro t-shirt and some big bro books today. We hope to tell family for thanksgiving, if all goes well at our appointment next Thursday. 

I get get nervous that I’m “jinxing” it by buying stuff so early. Does that make sense? 
  • Options
    I told my boss and a co-worker because if MS kicks in I need them to cover classes for me. Plus we’ve worked together for 12 years. They were awesome with my last pregnancy and we can bring baby to work until they are 6 months. 
  • Options
    @dapple88 That's an amazing benefit! There's no way they'd allow that where I am.

As far as work is concerned, I'm fairly private and want to keep it to myself until at least 12 weeks, maybe even 16 weeks. Myself and my SO make up 2 of 5 Managers, so I'm not sure if I should keep the news to myself after the 12 week point.
  • Options
    Ok ladies. How did you tell your bff’s? I want to tell mine but I’m not an overly giddy excitable person and I don’t really like to have all of the attention on me. Blurting out “Im pregnant!!! Squee!” Seems awkward. 
  • Options
    @hillbillywife text, lol. It's the second time for both of us and she keeps weird hours as a PICU nurse so I text her everything. Actually, I sent her a pic of my first POAS because it was soooo faint and was like, "Tell me I'm not seeing things..." I texted my other bff a pic of my daughter wearing "this is what an AWESOME SISTER looks like!" shirt. 
  • Options
    @christycalifornia probably just easier that way lol. I like it though. This will be my 3rd, my one friend’s 1st and the other’s 4th (first girl tho!) maybe I’ll have to find a big sister shirt for DD and say “look at this cute shirt I got for DD!!” Lol
  • Options
    @acunamatada adorable!!
    @hillbillywife I haven’t figured out how to tell one best friend, but I’ve told the other. I FaceTimed her (we live in the same town but were at work) I was sitting down and just pointed the camera at my belly. Her being the most sarcastic snarky person I know she said, “why am I staring at your crotch.” I then told her that i just wanted her to meet her new niece or nephew. She cried :D 
    I’m pretty weird, so that’s probably not a normal way to do it. Haha
    Pregnancy Ticker