April 2018 Moms
Options

The Great Name Thread

Re: The Great Name Thread

• Options
    I know a male Sandy and never thought anything of it. I think it’s fine. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @ekendall09 my mom's name is Sandy :) but we also have a family friend that is a male Sandy (short for Sanford). I think if you like it and it's meaningful to you then go for it! 
  • Options
    @ekendall09 @mcg920 ooooh I love Sanford as a good alternative to just Sandy itself if you are unsure about Sandy! You can still do Sandy as the nn but aren't tied to it specifically, but still a nod to DHs mom. 
    Me: 31  DH: 32
    Married: 10/3/15 
    TTC: May 2017
    BFP: 7/20/17
    EDD: 3/29/18
  • Options
    I'm in limbo about my name.  The first time I heard Sailor, I loved it and have been dead set on it for a while, but like the spelling Saylor.  After looking for middle name ideas, I've come across some very strong opinions from previous people debating that name as well and the opinions are strongly negative.  I don't want to be the mom who names my child a horrible name just because I like it.  However, after looking around at other options, I keep coming back to it.  

IF I do end up naming her Saylor. Middle name will be between Grace, Rose or Elizabeth.  But now its a really strong IF. :( 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I just had an acquaintance name her baby Saylor. I actually think it's pretty. I also know someone who just named their daughter Salem.

Married: 11/2011
    DS-9/2012
    DD-7/2015
    Sweet Angel Boy born too soon 12/17/17
    EDD-4/2019

• Options
    I just had an acquaintance name her baby Saylor. I actually think it's pretty. I also know someone who just named their daughter Salem.
    It also reminds me of Soyer which is becoming a pretty popular name. 
  • Options
    @kmalls I agree with the spelling. I have only seen the  name spelled with a Y which I found strange.

Also, I "fixed" the Salem name. The mom used the spelling Saylem. Not my bag.

Married: 11/2011
    DS-9/2012
    DD-7/2015
    Sweet Angel Boy born too soon 12/17/17
    EDD-4/2019

• Options
    @kmalls I felt like it added a more feminine emphasis.  I planned on Sailor until I saw it spelled with the Y and thought it looked "prettier."  I'd be good either way. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    bchalmbchalm member
    edited October 2017
    Well DH has decided he hates our previously agreed on names. Haha he thought I was going to change my mind first. Looks like we are back at it, for a girl name atleast. And he is only throwing me trash for suggestions. So far, Jyn (apparently it's from star wars). But his mom goes by Jen and we don't exactly get along the best. Too similar. And his other suggestion is Vale, don't hate it for someone else. It's just not us. 

**edit for spelling
  • Options
    Thoughts on Charlotte (nn Charlie) despite popularity? Thoughts on Asher for a boy? Anyone have suggestions of classic boy names to the tune of Samuel, Zachary, and something that's sorta hip like Logan (which happens to be DH's favorite, but won't make our list because of my distaste for it)?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @tooraloorah I love love LOVE Charlotte, I don't care how popular it gets. It's such a beautiful, classic name. My DD is Anna Charlotte (my MIL's exact name, she passed away before I could meet her) and it doesn't bother me in the least that it happens to be popular right now. It's so pretty. 

I also love Asher! Such a strong name. While I don't love Samuel, I do like the nn Sam. Have you considered Henry? That might be in line with what you're thinking. 
  • Options
    lesliegolemlesliegolem member
    edited October 2017
    @tooraloorah love love love Charlotte and Asher. Yes Charlotte is popular but its such a great name I don't see it going out of style. For more suggestions....

Nathaniel
    Lucas
    Marcus
    Noah
    Leopold
    Matthew
    Julian 
    Maxwell
  • Options
  • Options
    lesliegolemlesliegolem member
    edited October 2017
    @bchalm I understand trying to stay away from any names that remind me of my in laws. What about something like Rowan, Riley or Ripley? I've been looking a lot at R names lol. Or Piper, Juniper, Willow, Evie, Selene something like that? I think Vale is cool but personally I'd do Valerie than Vale is her nickname. Just think it'd be a lot of people assuming her name is Valerie becaue Vale is such a common NN for it. Or if your husband is a GOT fan could do Aria/Arya. As far as star wars Leia is a great name as well. 
  • Options
    kmalls said:
    JJMNO1616 said:
    It also reminds me of Soyer which is becoming a pretty popular name. 
    Ahhhh! I have a hard time with the speshul spellings. Sawyer is a great name. Soyer looks like someone signed the birth certificate drunk. @scuba_chic I don't hate Sailer but I'm just curious why you'd change the spelling to Saylor? 

ETA: I'm admittedly a very traditionalinside-the-box name-er. So feel free to take my thoughts with a grain of salt. 
    LOL I actually had no idea what the traditional spelling of the name even was. I spelled it the way it sounded in my head and google said that's one way people were spelling the name so I went with it.

• Options
    @lesliegolem I love the R names. And are definitely much more my speed. Plus they are all gender neutral which is something else I love.
  • Options
    I'm struggling with boy names. I would like something that is easily pronounceable to french people (both my parents and all my family are french). But I don't want something unpronounceable to americans either. So sorry Gaëtan, no soup for you.  :p 

Right now my front runner is my grandfather's name Wilfrid, then we can just have Wil as a nickname. But I'm also toying with 
    Cedric
    Victor
    Olivier
    Jacques 
    Luc 
    Charlie/Charles

This all assumes I'm going to get my husband to agree to a more french name. I'm happy to use the middle name George for DH's dad, who I love. I would actually love to name him George but I'm worried it's a little brown-nosie, if that makes sense. It's like how I love the name Julian for a boy, but my name is Julie, so that's not going to work...
    :# 
  • Options
    @stalkinghorse I love the name Jenson but my name is Jennifer so kinda throws that one out the window in the future if we have a boy. Although I got to thinking about it and if men name their sons after them as Jrs then why can't women?! I'm definitely giving our little girl my middle name though.  :)
  • Options
    SO and I have been struggling with middle names. We love Cooper for a boy and Teigan/ Teegan for a girl. I kinda like Teigan Rose. 

First names we tossed around were: Theo, Terrance, Conner, and Tate.  (We both liked Teigan right away and haven't come up with any other girl names)

Google has been where we have come up with most of the names.
  • Options
    @stalkinghorse I love the name Jacques! It's on our list too. My uncle is Jacques and every once in a while someone in the US is confused on how to pronounce it but it's rarely a problem. Plus it's unlikely to become trendy since it's hard to pull off if you aren't actually French!

We're trying to use family names and also thinking Blaise, Adrien, or Thomas. 
  • Options
    @lesliegolem My daughter is Reese, my favorite R name  ;)

@kmalls 100% with you in spellings. I much prefer Sailor to Saylor. I even think it looks better. In general, I think people get a little carried away with ‘unique’ spellings. 

Andplusalso, I love everyone that is considering Luke/Luc/Lucas. That is my dream name, however the first two syllables of my three syllable last name are Lukas-... it’s just not an option for us, so I will live vicariously through anyone that gets to use it :) 

Me (33). DH (37). DD (2.2012). MCs x4. After 4 years & 7 months, due 4.2018!

• Options
    @hedgepig I thought the same thing when it came to Sailor.  All I think about is the Sailor scouts.
    @lesliegolem my DD's name is Riley

I just thought of the name Willow for a girl.  Not a huge fan but I think it sounds nice and not really popular. I am liking all the names we are seeing.  

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  DIStickerscom Ticker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    @JJMNO1616 Is it weird that I feel strongly you SHOULD go with Jenson... I love that name. Do you go by Jen(n) or Jennifer? 

@bbmyer0223 I love the name Cooper. Makes me think of Gary Cooper. And Connor is similarly strong and straight forward. 

@easilydistracted87 There's something I really like about the idea of family names, me personally, I've always loved the name Thomas. My only worry about Jacques is, is it a little affected since it's really french? Like ok, ok, Julie, we get it, you were born in France, give me a break. I keep thinking about that FB post and folks judging it which is silly, I know!!! 

@Mattel I love the name Reese. Especially with a longer last name! I'm so sorry you don't get to use Luke/Luc/Lucas, that's a little bit of a bummer. Did you take your husbands last name and if so, did you always like the Luke/Lucas/Luc names?

@kmalls @Mattel @hedgepig Count me in on traditional spellings for names. Life's hard enough without having to tell the poor barrista for the third time how to spell your name. 

@tooraloorah Charlotte is a lovely lovely name. I'm actually happy to see it become a little more used, it's elegant without being over the top. 

@Dumbgurl04 I like Willow. It has to fit the personality a bit of both parents and child. But I think there's something romantic. 

One more question. One of my absolute favorite names is Henry. It's great bc my french family will pronounce it Henri, which will be pretty adorable. The only problem is my ex-boyfriend who I am still vaguely friends with, named his son Henry. I feel weird copying him, but darnit, it meets almost all my silly criteria! 
  • Options
    tooraloorahtooraloorah member
    edited October 2017
    @stalkinghorse are you French? Can you help me think of possible names for boys?! Lol. DD is Isabelle and everyone is saying I should find a boy name to compliment hers, but can’t think of any French names for boys that have been Americanized. ETA: we are not French. DD has a very French name, though :p Isabelle Therese 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @tooraloorah I was born in France to ultra-frog parents but I grew up here. I got to spend summers in france visiting family there so i was super lucky. 

First of all, Isabelle Therese is a lovely name. I love that! Are there any American names you strongly gravitate to that we can french up a bit? Like Jacques for Jack, Etienne for Stephen, Henri for Henry, Pierre for Peter, Andre for Andrew, Louis for Luis, Luc for Luke, that sort of thing. Any family names you want to do a play on maybe? 
  • Options
    mdwinymdwiny member
    edited October 2017
    @stalkinghorse I love French names. Olivier is my fave, but I'd worry about constantly having to correct people who say Oliver. Have you considered Remy? A French-ish friend of mine used it, and I think it's so cute.

ETA: Remy goes well with George, too!

History (TW/loss/child):

7/2017 -- miscarriage at 6w
    5/2018 -- DS born 3 days after due date, 8lb 4oz
    9/2020 -- missed miscarriage at 9w / DNC
    3/2021 -- miscarriage at 8w
    7/2021 -- missed miscarriage at 8w / DNC
    9/2021 -- IVF cycle #1 (FET 1/25/22)

• Options
    @stalkinghorse I know I’ve loved that name for a while, I can’t pinpoint how long. I’m pretty traditional so I always knew I’d take my husbands name. 

@JJMNO1616 The only thing that pops into my head with Jenson is whether or not that would make introductions confusing, especially if you go by Jen. As in, someone says “this is Jenson” and the person hears “this is Jen’s son,” and asks what his name is. 

Me (33). DH (37). DD (2.2012). MCs x4. After 4 years & 7 months, due 4.2018!

• Options
    @stalkinghorse I go by both depending on the person. I typically introduce myself as Jennifer but once I get to know someone a lot of times they just call me Jen. 

@Mattel That's exactly why I don't think it will work... The name Jenson actually means "Jen's son" so I think it's a bit much lol but I do really like the name and so does my husband which is the funny thing. AND it's a total double standard because as of right now we are planning to name our daughter Charleston with the nick name Charley which is my FIL name (Charles). My husband's middle name is also Charles.  :|  

• Options
    JJMNO1616 said:
    @stalkinghorse I love the name Jenson but my name is Jennifer so kinda throws that one out the window in the future if we have a boy. Although I got to thinking about it and if men name their sons after them as Jrs then why can't women?! I'm definitely giving our little girl my middle name though.  :)

LO's middle name will definitely come from my side....whether it's my exact middle name or a nod to my maiden name.  DH and I approach name giving like this: baby gets his last name, middle name comes from my side, and we decide on the first name together.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @kmalls Yes! That's kind of where I end up on that. I would be weirded out if the roles were reversed. Actually knowing what an incredible narcissist he is, he will take pleasure from knowing that. But honestly, I never see him anymore and letting him dictate my life feels like letting the terrorists win. But thank you for your insight, it's helpful to know how it works in real life sometimes! 

@mdwiny I love Remy, but we have a horse in the stable named Remy. Gah! A friend of mine named his dog Sophie and he said it pissed off three sets of parents who were friends of his who would have liked to name their girl Sophie. Same idea! But I DO like the name Remy George. 

@JJMNO1616 yes, @Mattel is hitting on exactly my question. I think if you firmly went by Jennifer, you could do it easily, but if you go by Jen, that makes it trickier. But I sort of LOVE how literal it is at the same time. It's a nice screw you to the double standard especially bc it's mother to son. 

@1fish2fishredfish that sounds like a really wise agreement with your DH. I would try to push it of course and just say I get to do the first name since we're using his last name. But I'm sort of a tyrant. 
  • Options
    @stalkinghorse I love Henry/Henri, and say go for it, 100%. For all anyone knows you've been set on that name forever, and anyone who thinks it's weird will think so for like 2 minutes, then get over it. Your kid, your name!
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• Options
    Have you already chosen a name? (share if your comfortable)
    No! Husband insists on J name for this second boy of ours (all our names start with J and our last name is Jones) I'm having a hard time with names...

What names are on your list/what names were on your list before you decided?
    Jordan, Jaden, Jace, or Jett.. not in love with any really but those are what my husband likes..personally I like Blake.. what's everyone's opinion?  :D

What app/site do you most use when looking for names? Thebabycenter search