February 2018 Moms
Options

The Nursery

Re: The Nursery

• Options
    @ash0625 I think I'd pass on the used crib.  In fact anything where there may be safety related issues.  If you have a friend that does furniture, maybe you could get them to help you dress up a cheaper new crib?
  • Options
    ash0625 said:
    A friend of mine does furniture make-overs and is making us a dresser for the nursery. Its a standard dresser, but she's cleaning it up and painting it to match. Its sturdy, so I'm hoping it lasts him a while and its still cheaper than the ones they're selling at Target. 

I keep going back and forth on a crib. My parents have my crib from 30 years ago. I don't know why they kept it, but they're offering it to me. Its in great shape, except that it is the "drop down" crib style that is now apparently a no-go? I'd love to take it off their hands, but have safety concerns. 
    You can buy kits to fix the drop down,  but you should also think about measuring the space between the bars… As that has changed throughout the years for safety concerns as well. 

DS2 is getting the hand me down crib from DS1. DD used it too. Target had a sale when I bought back in ‘13 the graco crib and a free standing changing table for $150! Getting my money worth out of that crib lol. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @RaeleenD Can I ask about your glider? I have been searching endlessly, and I have seen some I like on Amazon but am nervous to buy without sitting in it. I am 5'10 and want to be able to put my head back, and we just bought a not-so-comfortable couch, so a comfy chair is a high priority! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MrsJ2410 said:
    @RaeleenD Can I ask about your glider? I have been searching endlessly, and I have seen some I like on Amazon but am nervous to buy without sitting in it. I am 5'10 and want to be able to put my head back, and we just bought a not-so-comfortable couch, so a comfy chair is a high priority! 
    I'll update once it gets delivered (sometime this week). I'm 5'8", so I understand what you mean. We wanted to order early just in case it wasn't very comfy or didn't fit.
  • Options
    @tally26, those birches are BEAUTIFUL!  We are doing a woodlands/birchy type theme, and I have been looking at birch decals, but haven't found any I love. You've inspired me to consider just painting them (though I'm sure they wouldn't be half as pretty!) 
  • Options
    @tally26, those birches are BEAUTIFUL!  We are doing a woodlands/birchy type theme, and I have been looking at birch decals, but haven't found any I love. You've inspired me to consider just painting them (though I'm sure they wouldn't be half as pretty!) 
    Thank you! I was looking at decals, but couldn't find any that were 9ft tall, that didn't cost an arm and a leg. So I just taped off some tree shapes and painted! What have you found for a woodland/birchy theme? It sounds like a good one!
  • Options
    tally26 said:
    Thank you! I was looking at decals, but couldn't find any that were 9ft tall, that didn't cost an arm and a leg. So I just taped off some tree shapes and painted! What have you found for a woodland/birchy theme? It sounds like a good one!
    Yes, some of the decals are SO expensive, or just aren't what I am looking for.  These are gorgeous!  

I have a birch bark basket, as well as two birch bark-covered containers, which I may use for little things like hair bows, pacis, etc.  The basket is bigger, but a bit fragile, so I'm not sure what I'll do with it quite yet (not purchased for the nursery, just had it on hand).  Target has some cute birch things- a changing pad cover, a crib sheet, a blanket, etc.  We registered for some of those things.  There are tons of cute bins on Amazon, too, with woodsy animals (brand is 3 Sprouts).  

We have a ton of birch wood lying around from a tree that was my inlaws', but had to be taken down, so my husband cut it up and brought it home.  I really want to find something creative to do with some of it, since it's beautiful!  I am hoping to keep things relatively simple, since the nursery is a small room.  :) 
  • Options
    @MrsJ2410 Got the glider today. I like it but it is small. I can't put my head back and my legs feel long in it. Sorry I can't be of more help! 
  • Options
    @RaeleenD , what a calm and cozy space!  I think this looks perfect.  Your pup is super cute, too! :)
  • Options
    @RaeleenD what a beautiful neutral room.  It looks very soothing!
  • Options
    @lucylou214 @Ashoes123 Thanks! We're not finding out the gender, to trying to keep in neutral and relaxing. And I think our dog thinks we're getting it ready for him. ☺
  • Options
    Wow looking good. Y'all I'm feeling so far behind bc we are waiting until the shower one month from now before buying much of anything. Eek. The planner in me wants to do everything now. But I know we'll be ok bc there's still 2 months between shower and baby. 
  • Options
    @RaeleenD I love your nursery! The curtains add such a nice pop of color!
  • Options
    @RaeleenD I love your nursery! Especially the crib... may I ask from which store you got it? We're still picking one out and we like the solid back (vs. slats).
  • Options
    @clc515 It's from Wayfair. It's a Delta Children brand.
  • Options
    @RaeleenD well it looks beautiful, what a lovely room. Love the prints on the wall! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @RaeleenD Thanks! The Mister and I have been looking for crib and new dining table and for some reason totally forgot about Wayfair as an option. Doubly helpful, thanks!
  • Options
    Got the crib set up, bought a dresser )to refinish in navy) from a buy and sell, dragged the glider in. Now to paint and convert DD's crib to a bed so we have a crib mattress. 

Whixh layout makes the most sense? Putting the crib underneath the window isn't an option, that's where the heat vent is. Plus blinds and baby don't mix (safety first)
    Andrea (31), married Aaron (36) September 2012
    Parents to fur babies Tiki and Gizzmo and 2yr old Georgia
    IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI
    EDD: Feb 5, 2018

• Options
    Plus picked out bedding and a SUPER cute shelf from land of nod. Man online shopping in Canada from the US is spendy 
    IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI

• Options
    Aeml1985 said:
    Got the crib set up, bought a dresser )to refinish in navy) from a buy and sell, dragged the glider in. Now to paint and convert DD's crib to a bed so we have a crib mattress. 

Whixh layout makes the most sense? Putting the crib underneath the window isn't an option, that's where the heat vent is. Plus blinds and baby don't mix (safety first)
    I like the configuration in the first picture.  The second one seems like the chair will be in the way of the dresser drawers.
  • Options
    Aeml1985 said:

The top picture configuration will probably be the most convenient. I'm having issues with furniture placement in my nursery, too. I already have a full size bed, nightstand and desk with hutch in there. Now, I've got a crib and a recliner to figure out. My dresser is a couple of those plastic 3-drawer ones on top of a table in the walk-in closet.
  • Options
    @Aeml1985 I like the top configuration best it seems to be very inviting to me for some reason. I also love the earthiness of the room!
  • Options
    @Aeml1985 I like the top configuration best it seems to be very inviting to me for some reason. I also love the earthiness of the room!
    Thanks, that's the one I like too. It won't be "earthy" for long, our theme is space. I'm painting the dresser and side table navy with gold hardware and the walls a pale blue

• Options
    @tally26 post pics, we'll help you figure it out

• Options
    edited October 2017
    @Aeml1985 I like the look of the first picture best, but I would take the location of the door into consideration too; I want to place my crib where I can easily see it from the doorway for quick check-ins. From what I can tell from the photos, the top one looks like it fits the bill for that!
  • Options
    @Aeml1985 the top photo is the most aesthetically pleasing but the outlet placement has me leaning more toward bottom left. I can't tell you how much I relied on my phone those long breastfeeding sessions.
  • Options
    @Aeml1985 another thing to think about is the door placement. Which is the easiest to check on baby in the crib without opening the door the whole way? Video monitors can only do so much.

this thread is making me wish I was doing another nursery for this LO. Poor baby #3.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Our nursery is being pieced together with items loaned/given to us by friends. We got rid of all of our baby gear/furniture this past spring thinking we were not having more kids... surprise! :) 

Anyway, we have oak doors/trim, smoky blue walls, and a cherry wood crib/changing table... It is slightly driving me nuts. I love natural wood and white... clean and simple... but am thankful that friends are letting us borrow a crib and we got a great deal on a matching changing table. 

Anyone have ideas on how to make the various wood tones work together/brighten the room? I bought mostly white sheets with black designs on them. 
  • Options
    jlcrunchberry

stuck in the box

all the walls have at least one outlet, and if the outlet isn't easily accessible I'll put an extension cord. I thought about that too. Plus witha toddler ill probably nurse all over the house vs in the nursery only like last time 

• Options
    @Starynightsky24 I didn't have a video monitor with DD and don't plan on it for this baby either, and when they were really little I just didn't close the door. But that's why I didn't want the crib on the wall the door opens to (right side) 

• Options
    winnie1122winnie1122 member
    edited October 2017
    @neener*neener* I just repainted our crib since it wasn’t the color I wanted. Has worked out fine! 

Eta whoops just realized you said you were borrowing it, maybe with the white things you’re using it will brighten the room up enough that the crib color won’t feel like it doesn’t go?
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    tally26tally26 member
    edited October 2017
    Our nursery is being pieced together with items loaned/given to us by friends. We got rid of all of our baby gear/furniture this past spring thinking we were not having more kids... surprise! :) 

Anyway, we have oak doors/trim, smoky blue walls, and a cherry wood crib/changing table... It is slightly driving me nuts. I love natural wood and white... clean and simple... but am thankful that friends are letting us borrow a crib and we got a great deal on a matching changing table. 

Anyone have ideas on how to make the various wood tones work together/brighten the room? I bought mostly white sheets with black designs on them. 
    I would use wall decor or bedding/curtains/rugs to bring all the colors together. Target has a set of 4 square wood panels with different colored wood strips set at an angle. They might work to bring everything together. They were about $45 for the set last time I saw them.

Found them: 
    https://www.target.com/p/wood-decorative-panels-set-of-4-threshold-153/-/A-16625188#lnk=sametab
  • Options
    I spent a couple hours last night moving everything around in this room, only to have it all end up in pretty much the same places. I did get rid of the desk though. Still not totally happy with the layout, and I have no idea what else to do! Seems like the chair needs SOOO much room to recline.
    First pic is before and after with the desk.
  • Options
    @tally26 I think it looks great!

• Options

I think a green wall paint and a forest/ natural theme would tie all those wood tones together. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • Options
    @alice0218 I love that moses basket. Super cute and goes great with the rug/curtains. 

• Options
    @neener*neener* can you repaint the walls? My friends sons nursery sounds like yours and it looks really great.  It has a "travel the world" theme and  there are lot of bright pictures and maps on the wall to brighten it up and break up all the dark wall color. A space theme would work really well too.
  • Options
    If you need blackout curtains I just ordered some from JC Penney for $31.50.  That was a pair of 84 inch panels.  They are having a huge sale