February 2018 Moms

The Nursery

Re: The Nursery

• I don't know the gender yet so for now I'm thinking Disney/Pooh or Harry Potter. I love Disney but I also love all the stuff I've seen on Pinterest for Harry Potter nurseries! I can't paint the walls so it would be a lot of wall art. I also don't know if Husband and I will be together so I have that interesting puzzle piece to deal with... 

As for room sharing I'm torn between making the guest room the baby room or putting them together. I know for at least two weeks to the first month baby will be in the same room as me but once they start waking only once or sleeping through the night I plan on transferring to the crib.

@meatballs37 thanks for posting about open box! I'm definitely going to look into that option.
  • This baby, boy or girl, will definitely be sharing with DD. We only have 3 bedrooms and the third is in the basement. Definitely not going to separate us when they are so young. Baby will stay in our room for 4-5 months, which is what we did with DD. She will get a toddler bed and transition just before baby is old enough to move in with her. The nursery is still unfinished after 9 months that we've lived in this house. I did a mountain mural on the wall but still haven't hung the artwork or bookshelves. Maybe I'll get to it in the next 5 months lol
  • Loading the player...

• Love it! I think sometimes the best nurseries are the ones that don't have a ton of stuff going on in them. Especially since toys will be everywhere eventually. 
  • @RSB1982 our plan is very similar to yours, only we plan on transitioning to the big girl bed at the same time. Really build the hype of a "big girl room" and all that! Baby gate at the top of stairs. Video monitor, and teach her to just ask for us if she needs something, which she already does. Hoping for the best and open to suggestions!
  • Our room isn't really big enough to put baby in there so s/he will probably go straight to the nursery. We are renting a 2 bedroom so the nursery will be pretty basic.
  • We are room sharing for the 1st 6 months, but I'm looking to making a baby area with a crib and dresser before that.  Our options are either in my 14 yo dd's room (her idea), my 12 yo dd's room (his idea, but it's too small,  so we won't), turn our toy room into a nursery because the kids don't really use it anymore,  or move my office out of the house and make that room a nursery.

I'm looking at doing a mountain/ woods theme
    Our 3 yo Ds's room is vey similar to the mountain picture with the black crib.  We love it!!! 

For our new baby we are converting the guest room intro a nursery.  The walls are a really nice blue (similar to deepest blue one mountain picture) if id's a girl I will add floral curtains and some pink/ yellow/ green/ creams..  either way we won't repaint.  
  • Posting this in a couple threads. Found an incredible deal on a crib on walmart.com today. White verison is only $47.99 originally $500. Comes with a storage drawer below the crib
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Solano-4-in-1-Convertible-Crib-with-Drawer-Pebble-Gray/48704521
  • Posting this in a couple threads. Found an incredible deal on a crib on walmart.com today. White verison is only $47.99 originally $500. Comes with a storage drawer below the crib
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Solano-4-in-1-Convertible-Crib-with-Drawer-Pebble-Gray/48704521
    I went to look and don't get the deal. Would have purchased in a second! 
    Hm.. Said $189 for me for each color. It must have been a short deal or a mistake that was fixed.
  • @ash0625 for about an hour as I had it pulled up the whote version was $47.99. I checked earlier this morning and it was no longer that price. They had also added a few more color options. Not sure what happened?!
  • @tally26 I love it! I have always loved classic Pooh. So tasteful and perfect for a nursery regardless of gender. And no, I don't have a theme. The baby doesn't even get it's own room so I guess my theme is "whatever will take up the least amount of space and look nice"? lol
  • @Aeml1985 I love the space theme!!!!! Amazon has lots of cute gray cribs in the $100-$200 range. We were going to get one there until we bought a nice one from a neighbor and I repainted it gray (which is also a good money saving option)
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • @Aeml1985 we are also doing a cosmic space theme! Same bedding from Land of Nod. I think it's so cute. We aren't finding out the sex but I find that space is awesome regardless of gender. IKEA has some cute and reasonable cribs as well. That's where we are getting ours from. We got our first decoration the other day. Getting excited. 
  • That sounds SO cute, @googlemd! There are so many adorable elephant decor options out there. :) 
  • @mamaof5already , we are thinking about something along the same lines.  I haven't figured out yet what I want for an accent wall behind the crib, but am looking at mountains or birch trees. Those pictures are all adorable! 
  • We are also doing an elephant theme! I feel like it's a popular theme right now, because I have seen so much cute elephant stuff. Before we ever talked about specifics we both wanted to paint the walls gray - our house is all beige and warm tones, so we are excited to "cool" things down a bit.
  • @meatballs37 I LOVE that room.

We have made ZERO progress in the nursery. I go from "we'll get there someday" to "OMG WE ARE SCREWED" pretty regularly. 
  • ash0625 said:
    @meatballs37 I LOVE that room.

We have made ZERO progress in the nursery. I go from "we'll get there someday" to "OMG WE ARE SCREWED" pretty regularly. 
    I have a feeling that's gonna be us, too!

I keep thinking I'll want to attempt a world travel theme, but then everything I've actually liked on my registry is stars. But DH likes the beach. Lol this is probably why we won't do any special decorations til we move (in like 2 years). 
  • You are so on top of it @meatballs37!  So cute!!

I am in the same camp as you @ash0625.  Office still not cleaned out.
  • We’ve done absolutely nothing nursery related. We’ve been using the room as kind of a ‘getting ready’ room for when hubby has early shifts so it’s got his uniform and our dresser full of socks and underwear. We’ve thrown the stroller and car seat that we bought in there so now it’s becoming Storage too. 

Crib is supposed to be delivered today so maybe that will kick my butt into gear. Would like to get it done before I get too massive 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Wow, @meatballs37 !  That is such a nice space! You did an awesome job.  I'm in the same boat as you, @ash0625 and @chucksmom15 , the nursery-to-be is still entirely filled with crafting things, a spare bed, etc.  I haven't even started, but really need to get cracking! 
  • Wow, @mrsoirish , that is such a beautiful room! I think you could definitely add some sparkle, if you wanted a girlier touch, but I think this is a pretty neutral space, personally. :) 
  • @mrsoirish, the first thing that came to mind was the night sky in Montana or mountains in general. You could do some mountains behind her crib and use the quote along the lines of, "Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will move mountains."  I think I got the quote right, but I might be a little off. 
  • Aww thanks @lainikins, that's a cute idea!
  • @mrsoirish I haven't seen that theme before, it's so cute! And those two pictures in the second photo are great!  
  • We will try having baby in our room as long as we can. But that didn't go so well with DD because she was so loud when she slept, I could never sleep. I was getting so sleep deprived we had to move her into her the nursery! We'll see how it goes this time. Otherwise we are setting up on side of my husband's office (next to our bedroom) for the baby. We will have the bassinet (if needed) and chair. It had built ins that we will use for clothes, diapers and as the changing table. We plan to move next Spring/Summer so we will set up a nursery in the new house. DD will have her room stay as is, I'm using crib. I want to minimize the changes she experiences with the new baby and moving.
    Honestly, it just occurred to me we could pick a theme for the nursery now and some of baby's stuff could be purchased in those colors and designs - sheets, blankets, etc. Perfect example of how different it is with baby #2! I spent hours dreaming of nursery ideas with my daughter and I've barely thought of it now! Maybe after Wednesday when we know if it's a boy or girl!
  • @mrsoirish I love the prints on the wall! 
  • Hi Eveyone, I'm late to the nursery thread, I'm going with adventure theme too!!

Anyone start shopping for nursery furniture yet? I found a nice dresser and crib on Target.com for half the price of the sets at BabiesRus. However, I also fell in love with babyrus sets... I wish Target had more floor samples of the furniture to make the decision easier.  Anyway, what is your experience with the Target furniture VS. high-end? 

DD angel baby 10/16 <3
    Rainbow Due 02/20/18

• alemarie1 said:
    Hi Eveyone, I'm late to the nursery thread, I'm going with adventure theme too!!

Anyone start shopping for nursery furniture yet? I found a nice dresser and crib on Target.com for half the price of the sets at BabiesRus. However, I also fell in love with babyrus sets... I wish Target had more floor samples of the furniture to make the decision easier.  Anyway, what is your experience with the Target furniture VS. high-end? 
     I'm watching the fb marketplace and Craigslist for a crib.  Ans going to a huge 3x a year baby consignment sale. I'm going to spend $50 on a used one. I really want want one a solid back that's grey,  but figured i can paint it if i can't find one.   I will get a new mattress though. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • alemarie1 said:
    Hi Eveyone, I'm late to the nursery thread, I'm going with adventure theme too!!

I'm watching the fb marketplace and Craigslist for a crib.  Ans going to a huge 3x a year baby consignment sale. I'm going to spend $50 on a used one. I really want want one a solid back that's grey,  but figured i can paint it if i can't find one.   I will get a new mattress though. 
    We got our cribs on the open box option on amazon. You can find some pretty good deals with it! 
  • alemarie1 said:

We got our cribs on the open box option on amazon. You can find some pretty good deals with it! 
    I wish I would have know about open box deals before! Sounds like an awesome deal.
    We bought our crib from Wayfair for pretty cheap. And went with an Ikea dresser and got our glider from Amazon. I figure I can invest in some nicer furniture when they get a little older.
  • A friend of mine does furniture make-overs and is making us a dresser for the nursery. Its a standard dresser, but she's cleaning it up and painting it to match. Its sturdy, so I'm hoping it lasts him a while and its still cheaper than the ones they're selling at Target. 

I keep going back and forth on a crib. My parents have my crib from 30 years ago. I don't know why they kept it, but they're offering it to me. Its in great shape, except that it is the "drop down" crib style that is now apparently a no-go? I'd love to take it off their hands, but have safety concerns.