TTC After a Loss

September WTO

Re: September WTO

• @jchpg "a lot of times it can be mental"?! Like fertility issues are psychological? If that's what she was implying then I am rolling my eyes so hard at your doc right now! 
  • My RE just called since I did more bloodwork but obviously it's been days since my BFP that turned into a BFN. She basically said CP are prob more common than we even know. Told me not to be discouraged. So hard tho!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Mack2342 FX that this is your lucky month! 

With all that doctors tell us (and don't tell us) we should be doing to improve our chances and health, has anyone ever had a doctor tell you something you hadn't heard before that you shouldn't do? Obvious and most common aside. Anything that surprised you to hear? Just curious.
  • Sorry @sprkls8506. I know it doesn't make it any easier but they are really common.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @ELeighMay I have not had anyone tell me to do something that I shouldn't.  My only surprise was today that they if this is normal protocol why wasn't I told 
  • @Mack2342 that would seriously tick me off too. Especially knowing that this is not a new thing. Why not offer that right away?
  • I just bought coq10 today for DH and I.  I'm going to stick with the 100mg once a day.
  • @vlagrl29 The dosage for fertility purposes is usually between 400-600 mg per day which is what REs and naturopaths typically advise. It takes up to 3 months to see an effect at that dosage.  I don't know that you will see the intended effect with 100 mg/day. Obviously, you do whatever feels right for you guys, I just thought I'd flag it since I wasn't sure if you knew :). And it does get expensive at the higher dosage....CoQ10 isn't cheap! 

Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• @leahcimmichael was it you who was taking the progesterone after O? 
  • @vlagrl29. My RE said to take 400 mg

@sprkls8506 my RE told me to start taking progesterone this time on Friday.  I Od yesterday.  My levels were low with my last pregnancy/MC
  • @Mack2342 when did you start to take it? I hate that it will delay AF if not preg!!!!
  • Mack2342Mack2342 member
    edited September 2017
    @sprkls8506 I start taking Friday so  2 days post O.   She said if get a negative test at 2 wks then stop taking it but obviously I will continue to take if positive. So hopefully it doesn't delay AF too much 
  • Oh wow that will get expensive @tosh24
    how much should DH take? I just spent $20 for a month worth of 100mg.  Do you take them all at once or spred it out with meals?
  • Yeah prog delayed my AF when I tried it back in March. It caused me to spot an entire week prior to AF. When I stopped taking them AF came 2 days later. 
  • @vlagrl29 I was told to take400 mg once a day.  I bought 200 mg tablets. I'm just going to have DH take one and I will take 2
  • Good to know @Mack2342 I'm afraid taking all this stuff in the morning might upset my stomach so I'll take the Coq with lunch.  Where did you get yours? I'm thinking Amazon will be cheaper for all this stuff.
  • @sprkls8506 I did take progesterone after O. I started it a little late last cycle because I got CD 21 progesterone labs drawn, so I didn't start it until after that. POAS on CD 12. BFN, so I stopped it. AF arrived 1 day late. 
    Not sure what I'm going to do this cycle. I guess some REs start it after O and some start it on day of BFP. I'm going rogue here, so making it up as I go along...
    One thing that bums me out is that it definitely causes some pregnancy symptoms for me (tired, full breasts, appetite changes) so my symptom spotting went crazy last TWW. 

@vlagrl29  and @Mack2342  Ya'll are so much better with the supplements than I am. I take my Prenatal, but that's about it. I'm drinking pomegranate juice daily cause I heard that helps build uterine lining. Are there any foods that you've found in your research that might help at certain times? I eat pineapple and drink green tea post O as well... probably need to invest the dollars into some of the supplements you're recommending.

Mini rant: I am supposed to get an HSG as my next step in IF testing. My doctor's office told me the radiologist doesn't have any appointments open and to call again on my next CD 1. That's cool, I'm just over here getting younger... 
  • @Mack2342 when I first talked to my RE I swear she said day after O but yesterday said 3 days after so I was curious. And when I took it for both BFP it only delayed 2 days when I stopped taking it. Do you take it twice a day?
  • My DH went in for his SA today.  So in addition to WTO I'm also on the waiting-for-test-results train.  
  • @vlagrl29 ordered it from amazon. 

@leahcimmichael I'm not sure I would be putting this much work in if I were younger and had more time but since I'm 42 and this is i think my last shot well these last few rounds of IUIs I figured I better give it all I can 

@sprkls8506 only taking once a day at night it's the suppositories 
  • @leahcimmichael as far as foods nothing specific just healthy diet with lots of fruits and vegetables, lean protein and possibly a Mediterranean diet

@ELeighMay hopefully the wait on SA isn't too long 
  • ELeighMayELeighMay member
    edited September 2017
    @Mack2342 The wait will be even longer than expected.  Turns out my DH was unable to provide a sample at the appointment.  He has to try again and drop off a sample another day.  
    We left the appointment and he asked if I wanted to go to his sisters while he finished his job there.  I told him I wasn't really eager to hang out with his hugely PG sister right now. He got irritated and said "There's always going to be pregnant women.  Yes,  it sucks were lost our baby,  but what are we supposed to do?" I almost puked. I feel like he just punched me in the stomach.  I can't believe he'd say that like its no big deal. 
  • Anyone taking prog please don't take until after you O or it could inhibit ovulation. I would wait at least 2 days after you think you did. I won't ever take it again unless it's tested on bfp and really is low.
  • Also I was thinking of drinking red rasp leaf tea but I also see them in capsules so I may take those instead.
  • @ELeighMay sorry about dhs comment and what did he get performance anxiety trying to provide a sample. 
  • vlagrl29 I have a friend that's a crunchy herbalist type... and she made me an all natural herbal leaf tea that was exactly the same as what she drank for her pregnancy. And it was all happy fun... and after my first MC she said it would also help strengthen my uterine lining and whatnot... 4 MC later... not sure how much I feel this stuff helps.

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1

• @dpjennifer yeah I'm not sure either but it can't hurt I suppose. I'm at the point where mentally I'm done with this process. If it happens great if not oh well I guess. Taking some herbs is kinda my last ditch effort. I just  want to enjoy my life.
  • @vlagrl29 DH was misdiagnosed with low-t and incorrectly treated with what turned out to be life threatening levels of hormone replacement. He didn't actually need them in the first place, but it left him with damaged reproductive parts and ED, neither of which were an issue before the treatment. Hence our  TTTC. Our fertility issues aren't on my side. :( 
  • No more waiting for me, AF came today! CD 1 begin! I have never been so excited to see my period. I have relied on CM and resting heart rate (via fitbit) to determine O before (which has worked in the past), but not sure if that'll work now since this is my first cycle after my loss, and not sure if my cycle will be regular. I really should get a thermometer and start temping. 

Rant of the day - I hope it's okay to put this here - I just got my bill from my D&E and it's $4,300!! Yikes. I know I'll be able to somehow work it out financially, but jeez, kick me while I'm down, ya? My insurance sucks. 

@ELeighMay How awful your DH was misdiagnosed! I can't even imagine how upset I would be. 

@Mack2342 Ya I have heard about a Mediterranean diet many times from various health providers. It's so beneficial in many ways in addition to helping TTC. *Sigh* It's just so hard to change a whole diet though. 

Also, interesting info about prog and O. I never knew any of this. 

• I'm on CD7 and AF stopped a couple days ago and yesterday I didn't wear any panty liners but today I've had some light spotting.  So weird!  Usually my spotting is pre AF and not post AF.
  • I'm CD 13... my blood work came back fine and today my doctor checked for follicules, I have one on my right side that looks as it should. Shetold
    me to "have a nice weekend" with a wink... but also to stick to EOD. She said everyday could reduce sperm quality. DH hasn't been checked yet- so we shall see.

• tosh24tosh24 member
    edited September 2017
    @vlagrl29 Both DH and I take 400mg/day. We're supposed to take 600mg/day but I take so many other supplements it's hard to fit them in and it's expensive. And I've heard that others are instructed to take 400mg/day so I figured it would be OK to decrease my amount a bit. We both take 200 mg with breakfast and 200 mg with dinner. I just have DH take them when I take them since that's the only way he'll remember. 

@sprkls8506 My RE has me taking two, 200 mg suppositories a day (morning and night). I've never been shown to have a problem with my progesterone before but it's standard in his practice to just put everyone on progesterone when undergoing treatments. I think it might differ from person to person, but AF usually comes within 1-1.5 days of me stopping the progesterone. I've heard of some women taking up to 5 days to get AF though.

@ELeighMay I'm so sorry. This journey has taught me that men definitely process miscarriage differently than women do. I think it affects them, sometimes quite significantly, but they just tend to deal with it differently. I think they might be a little better at compartmentalizing the hurt so that normal daily occurrences, like seeing pregnant women, don't trigger the whole host of emotions that it seems to in us. Hopefully he can take a step back and understand that you are processing the loss in your own way and need to put up certain boundaries to allow you to stay in a healthy place.    

Edited because words are hard some mornings....
    Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• @tosh24 Thank you, I think you're right and I appreciate the perspective. He's still oblivious to the effects of the comment so I'm just letting it go and focusing on this months TTC journey.  I'm CD 6 so going to start OPK soon.  I think I'll start it earlier this month with not knowing how my cycle will run as the first full cycle since the loss. We'll see how it goes. 
  • puppy woke me up at 7:15 dang!  I was up and it had been awhile and I'm totally not a morning sex person at all but I figured why the hell not because I think it has been a couple weeks.  Something about not being pressured anymore to TTC makes sex so much more enjoyable.
  • @vlagrl29 my DH woke me up with morning sex last week.  It is nice when it totally it timed 
  • @tosh24 my RE also has me doing it twice a day. Same dosage. AF has also started fairly soon. I just hope that is the case again this month...altho really hoping for a BFP obviously! Thanks for the info! 
  • So of course went to the store and forgot to grab OPK.  Does anyone not use a name brand one? Typically use the cheapie ones but I don't find them easy to read. Just curious on what everyone else uses. Thanks!
  • @sprkls8506 I've used wondfos but I like advanced clear blue.  those are the only two I have used
  • @Mack2342 yes I use the wondfos but I don't like them. I think I will end up with clear blue as well. Just need to remember when I'm at the store!!