July 2016 Moms
Options

September Randoms

124»

Re: September Randoms

• Options
    I assume if they're still selling them, they're ok?  If they were really harmful they'd be taken off the market right?  @LDSJM123

There's a little people Noah's ark set that my son got for his baptism.  Also lots of books have religious themes if that's what you're looking for.  @TiffRox81
  • Options
    Great ideas! Thank you! They are catholic so maybe the cute my first rosary beads might be cute!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    J got these toddler rosary beads for her baptism and I loved them. She did too. Noah arks set is good. I also got a really nice personalized frame with the date and church name. She got a lot of bible books and some other just random stuff. 
  • Options
    Anyone have fun activity ideas that are easy and cheap to do at home? Pinterest has some ideas but I feel like P wouldn’t really be interested in a lot of them. I’m back home with him and he’s so active and pretty good at playing by himself when I’m working on stuff but I feel like we do the same thing all day and it’s been so freaking hot this week that we’re cooped up inside. Need ideas!
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    Omg when will throwing food become not fun for my lil guy.....can't wait til this phase is over!!!

@winnie1122. I'm planning to do sorting baskets so E can sort colors.  I saw it on Pinterest.  I also started putting some of his toys away so I can rotate them (I had previously just kept everything out).  That's been helping too.  But really he's a wild man that just wants to run everywhere.  Outside is the best.
  • Options
    I have given M clothes pins and an empty milk jug. She could drop them in, shake it around, etc. I had to help get them out, but she's had fun with that. I've also cooked an entire box of spaghetti noodles and just let her play on the floor (plastic table cloth down) with them. Giving her big stack of leftover solo cups also was a hit. I've done the stuff below too. I try to do 1 "cool" thing a week. And by cool... I need to be able to put it together in less than 5 minutes and I don't want to spend a bunch of money. Bahahah 

• Options
    Oh good ideas! P prefers outside to all else too but it’s been ridiculously hot the past week. We ended up playing in the bathtub for quite a bit yesterday because I couldn’t come up with anything, lol. 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
  • Options
    It's been rainy here all week so we've stayed home and J is definitely getting stir crazy. I rotate toys too and I had even brought out some of her baby toys and she had a blast yesterday. I let her play with a bunch of bowls of water yesterday in the kitchen. I put towels down and she loved it. 

Any one who cloth diapered, what brand diaper would you recommend? I have a friend who just started and has been asking for opinions. 
  • Options
    Buckles are a big hit in my house right now.  She LOVES buckles on her high chair, stroller...you name it.  She found a seatbelt extender from when I was a flight attendant and she plays with it for 30 mins or so at a time.  I had a little plastic buckle in my sewing box so I hopped on the sewing machine and just grabbed a scrap of fabric and made her a little buckle she can play with and carry around (bonus is its small enough she can wear as a bracelet which she loves). 
  • Options
    I've done sensory bags/bottles, sorting baskets, I took an old large pretzel bin (like from Sams/Costco) and put a bunch of his smaller balls in it. He loves to take the lid off and put it back on and take the balls out. He also has free access to "his" kitchen cabinet. He will put his spoons in and out of his empty bottles/cups, put the lids on his cups and take them off again. The sink with some dish soap bubbles is fun. And finally the metal measuring spoons, cups, mesh strainer, and whisk are huge hits. So is letting him shake up the different spices in the kitchen. 
  • Options
    Thanks for all the ideas, I’m going to have to try those and see what he thinks! We finally got a cooler day yesterday so we spent most of the afternoon outside and I pulled out some sidewalk chalk which surprisingly kept him interested for quite awhile! Until he tried to eat it...still working on that. 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
  • Options
    We are still in sleep sacks over here because she moves around too much, but what is everyone else doing?? I know we have talked about it before, but now that they are older have any of you successfully switched to blankets? I would prefer not to buy more sleep sacks for the winter (I have thin ones right now). 
  • Options
    @shaylalr We’ve used blankets since pretty early on, like 6 mo, but he just sleeps in footie pjs and a small fleece blanket that I just lay loosely over him when he lays down to sleep. Sometimes he kicks it off within minutes but is still fine in his pjs, but I’ve never had issues with him getting tangled up in it even when he rolls around except one time ever and he made enough of a fuss I noticed and untangled him. Maybe try it during a nap or two and see what she does?
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
  • Options
    We've been using a blanket since about 6 months too. No problems. She sleeps in 2 piece pjs or footies. She also has a lovey in there she's become fond of and this giant stuffed animal we refer to as "monkey bear" (we aren't sure what it actually is). 

• Options
    Same- jams, and a small fleece blanket.  If she kicks it off she usually ends up snuggling it which is fine, too. She has her lovie as well.
  • Options
    I should have mentioned this! I have been putting a blanket in her crib with her since she turned 1, but it just ends up balled up somewhere in her crib! She doesn’t actually use it. Elise also HATES footie pajamas. 
  • Options
    TiffRox81TiffRox81 member
    edited September 2017
    I've been wondering about what to do for the winter, too. We have a bazillion two piece jammies so her feet would be exposed. I feel like the same would be true if I gave her a little blanket - she'd start with it then ditch it and it wouldn't serve its purpose. I think I am going to buy a couple fleece sacks. I hear you on not wanting to but I don't want to buy new jammies either!! Ugh!
  • Options
    We're gonna do footie pajamas too.  We have some open-toed pj pants too but I plan on just putting socks on once it gets cold. We have a blanket in his bed since one but he kicks it off.  I also nap with him and he hates the covers.  
  • Options
    AJ HATES long sleeves and footed jammies. He pulls at them. If the top is big enough, I can get him to wear sleeves, but usually he is in two piece jammies with a t-shirt top and pants. I have two blankets in his crib, a smaller, super soft blanket (his blankie) that he either lays on or cuddles with or is his first layer and then a heavier quilt. He will sometimes kick the covers off and wake up cold and needing help, but generally he's pretty good. He also has a teddy bear and a stuffed baby mickey in his crib. 

For winter, I'll try a larger long sleeves/footed pajama, but will probably just do socks with his jammies. We only get cold down this way from mid Dec-March
  • Options
    We usually do footie pajamas, but have the two piece ones also. If he wears those, I just put some socks on him and figure it’s basically the same as footies. I feel like our house changes temps a lot (crazy weather in the Midwest—plus I run his ceiling fan 24/7)) so I alternate between one of the soft, thinner Aden and Anais blankets and a warmer knitted blanket someone made for us for the baby shower. He does surprisingly well at leaving the blankets on. 
  • Options
    Anyone else with the serious tantrums? AJ flips his lid when he doesn't get his way (it's not often, he's generally an easygoing kid). But OMG...the crying and sobbing and hitting...I'm currently over it. He wants to play with/ride in/go for a walk in the stroller, but it's raining and I have a broken toe, so I can't wear shoes right now.  :(
  • Options
    @FTM53 OMG yes! And J is NOT an easy going kid. She cries over everything. I'm over it. I also dont know how to handle it. Do I comfort her or let her just cry it out? She has also started biting. 
  • Options
    Also needing advice on the tantrums, but even more so for the WHINING. It’s near constant some evenings. 
  • Options
    Need help with the hitting too!!!!!  I got Hands are Not For Hitting from the lib and it's not helping.  I've gotten one bite and man, that hurts @babycakesday
  • Options
    FTM53FTM53 member
    edited October 2017
    @babycakesday I've been bit 4-5x and those HURT!   He left marks onetime and almost broke the skin. Each time I grab him really hard on his shoulder with my finger tips kinda like teeth/claws and firmly say "no".  I keep the hold until he looks at me. The grab is just hard enough to shock, not actual pain. For hitting, I stop his hands when I can and again say no. Sometimes I'll play cry. And I generally validate his feelings, tell him it's okay cry and be unhappy, but it's not okay to hit or hurt anyone (sometimes he hits the dog). 

For the crying, depends on what he's crying about. I always explain the reason I said no, sometimes I'll hold him and try to distract him, but generally, I give him a hug, validate his feelings and say I love you,  tell him if he wants me to hold him, he can come to me, and then let him cry. 

If if he goes on and on about multiple things, I generally try to feed him and/or put him to bed. Kid gets HANGRY and grumpy. 

No no clue if any of it is "right", but it's what I do. Some days it's just too much though. 
  • Options
    We have been hitting here too.  I was recommended to read some of the writings by this woman Janet Lansbury, she has a website.  I don't buy in to every single thing she says but I have taken some things from her writing such as the tantrums are a way for them to release a lot of the feelings they have but can't express yet.  It at least helps me to stay calm when she does it.  I definitely think there is no "one size fits all" answer to this, it's a part of growth and development and every kid has a different personality and may need different things, find what works for you and your kid(s)!
  • Options
    We just let her throw the fit and try to ignore the behavior. Or more so, just not draw attention to it. I have read and my husband has mentioned that she doesn't have the words to verbalize how she's feeling, so that's what she does. 

If she is being held and shows signs of wanting down, and she doesn't get put down, and she hits, we don't correct her. Because she doesn't have the words to say put me down. If she walks up and just hits, we correct that though. "No mam! We use nice hands/we don't hit." At which time I typically take her hand in mine and squeeze it very firmly.