April 2018 Moms

Recommended items for 2nd + babies

I didnt see this against the rules so hopefully its okay to start a thread on what 2nd time and beyond moms recommend to buy or register for (if thats your thing, at least to get a completion discount) that you didnt get for the 1st one or that will be necessary for multiple kids.  For example, double stroller, bottle nipple replacements, breast pump tubing and valve replacements, etc... 

Ready go!
Me: 29  DH: 31, married 6/21/14, TTC since 7/14
BFP #1 EDD 7/17/15, MMC 1/9/15 @8w
BFP #2 4/3/15= ectopic treated with methotrexate 5/1, YET ruptured 5/18/15= One Tube Wonder!
2 Cycles of Femara, Ovidrel, & Progesterone= BFP #3 DS born 5/17/16
TTC #2 March 2017 (initially med free) 
BFP #4 8/14/17 *natural cycle* EDD= 4/25/18, MC @5-6w D&C 9/22/17
BFP #5 12/29/17 w/ Femara/Ovidrel/Progesterone/Synthroid, EDD= 9/11/18 found out 1/18 ITS di/di TWINS!!!
DS and DD born 8/21/18 

Re: Recommended items for 2nd + babies

• ngolimentongolimento member
    edited August 2017
    I have been wracking my brain about items for baby #2, and all I can come up with is buying DD a toddler bed so I can steal her crib.  The joys of being the youngest, and all the hand-me-down glory.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I want a better baby carrier. The one I have is hard to take baby in and out of. I never got a good rocker with my first so I hope we can get one, but I still don't know where it would fit. Right now I am waiting on the gender to see if I need more clothes or not. Our monitor gave up the ghost so we need a new one of those too. 
  • I plan on getting a good baby carrier so I can wear this one while I chase DD around.  
    I feel like this will definitely have to be on my list of things to get. My twins turn 3 in November so they will still need a lot of my attention. But if I can just wear the baby I'll still be able to cater to the twins with both hands. :smile:
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I love my baby ktan. That might be a good carrier to look into. Soft and you can out it on super quickly. 
  • I love my baby ktan. That might be a good carrier to look into. Soft and you can out it on super quickly. 
    Thanks for the info. I'll definitely look into it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am looking to invest in a double stroller compatible with the Graco click connect car seat carrier! Let me know if anyone has suggestions. I'm thinking it'll be necessary for wrangling a newborn. And barely two. 
  • Jyoung327Jyoung327 member
    edited August 2017
    I am looking to invest in a double stroller compatible with the Graco click connect car seat carrier! Let me know if anyone has suggestions. I'm thinking it'll be necessary for wrangling a newborn. And barely two. 

Stuck In the box....same here, I got the graco system with base and jogging stroller and have loved it, but they don't have a jogging double stroller, so now I'm stuck trying to figure out if I get an all new compatible system, or If I keep my graco system for sometimes when I use the baby carrier w newborn and jogger for ds, and after a couple months get a random double jogger once newborn can handle it without the infant carrier. I'm stressing myself out thinking it through!!! Graco does have a compatible regular double stroller with click connect on Amazon I saw though.
    BFP #2 4/3/15= ectopic treated with methotrexate 5/1, YET ruptured 5/18/15= One Tube Wonder!
    BFP #5 12/29/17 w/ Femara/Ovidrel/Progesterone/Synthroid, EDD= 9/11/18 found out 1/18 ITS di/di TWINS!!!
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • Double jogging stroller, Ring Sling or two lolz, video monitor so I can be in downstairs playroom when baby isn't. I need a couple regular things like swing and RnP also. 
    Me: 35 DH: 47

HX
    DSS: 20
    DSD: 17
    DS: 4(Nov'14)
    MMC:8/17
    MMC: 1/18
    BFP: 2/7/19 EDD:10/16/19

Tickers
    BabyGaga
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• A third camera for our video monitor.
    ***March '18 October Siggy Challenge: Halloween Costume Fails***

• I'm thinking a new carrier, when baby is older I'll need a new convertible car seat, new pacis but that's about it. 
  • I depends how far apart they are too. If youe first child was before the time of the magically rock n plays, you definitely need to grab one. Haha. 
    We needed a second monitor and white noise machine when we had our second. As well as the double stroller you mentioned. 
    We also got a new swing the second time around because the one I had for my first was battery operated and that was hell. So we got a new wall powered one. 

Dx w/Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy 3/3/12
    Induced 3/13/12 @ 37w2d | DD born 3/14/12 6:31pm 6lbs 15oz 19"
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kmalls said:
    Those looking for a double jogging stroller: get a double Bob. Just do it. It's sooooo worth the $$ and I'm not even a jogger. It turns easier than our single stroller and fits through standard doorways. It's so smooth, my kids love it. I can walk our two dogs with one hand and push/steer the stroller with the other. It's compatible with just about every infant seat out there as you buy a brand-specific adapter to use. Buy it!! 
    Good to know! Do you by chance know if there's an adapter for the graco snug ride? Is that the 600 dollar one I probs saw on Amazon?  
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • kmallskmalls member
    edited August 2017
    @Jyoung327 - yes, the general Graco adapter works will all snug ride models! And yes, the stroller is the $600+ one on Amazon :s But trust me, it's worth every penny! 
  • @kmalls omg it's a beautiful stroller but I see there are like at least 3 different models, does it make a difference which one or does the graco adapter fit any of the bob double jogger models??
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • I want a joovy caboose for toddler and baby! We might be rocking the 2 strollers until baby grows out of the bucket seat though. Our chicco travel system was too expensive to use only on DS.

Another camera for the monitor, maybe a new monitor even because our's battery life sucks.

Basically what everyone else has said.

My wish list is investing in some bomb ass nursing tanks and bras. I was such a newbie last time and got crappy ones. They're all going into the trash.
  • @tgortney I agree with you on the clothes! I'd like a few new pieces to add to my maternity wardrobe.....i lived in one pair of jeans and one pair of faux maternity work pants, and t-shirts under sweaters. I'm lost in the bra department on when and what kind to buy, anyone have a really awesome comfy bra that grows with you, not necessarily a nursing one? I have plenty of those. 
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • Jyoung327 said:
    @kmalls omg it's a beautiful stroller but I see there are like at least 3 different models, does it make a difference which one or does the graco adapter fit any of the bob double jogger models??
    @Jyoung327 the same Graco adaptor will work for all the models, but I believe the 2016 strollers are slightly different than models that came before it, which changed the adapters. So if you buy a new double Bob (2017 version), make sure the adapter you buy was manufactured in at least 2016 or it won't be compatible. 
  • Jyoung327 said:
    @tgortney I agree with you on the clothes! I'd like a few new pieces to add to my maternity wardrobe.....i lived in one pair of jeans and one pair of faux maternity work pants, and t-shirts under sweaters. I'm lost in the bra department on when and what kind to buy, anyone have a really awesome comfy bra that grows with you, not necessarily a nursing one? I have plenty of those. 
    @Jyoung327 when I finally got around to wearing real bras for my PP boobs, I loved aerie the most (specifically the sunnie). I'm going to try to fit in them for as long as possible. Since BFing boobs change SO much so quickly in the early days, I'll hold off till the end of pregnancy to buy. Luckily, this pregnancy is the same timeline as the last so all my maternity wear is seasonal appropriate :D

I've heard glamourmom and Anitas are great supportive nursing bras, I'll be checking those out.
  • I'm going to need actual maternity pants this time... it's just so hard to find maternity pants in tall! Last time I snuck through on maxi skirts and yoga pants. Also looking for a carrier - anyone have any recommendations for one that works well for large babies?
  • @peppersmith22 check Gap! They have all length varieties and they are some of my favorite maternity pants. And also, I LOVE Tula carriers. They have an infant size that works for a long time and then a toddler size. 

Me (33). DH (37). DD (2.2012). MCs x4. After 4 years & 7 months, due 4.2018!

• @peppersmith22 I have the exact problem. I'm just under 5'3" and what little height I do have is in my torso. Jeans specific for short are still to long and finding short in general in maternity has proven difficult.

HX

Tickers
    BabyGaga

• @mattel thank you!! I will have to check them out!
  • @kindbytealikat @peppersmith22 I can't speak for fit, but I was buying maternity jeans from Old Navy and they had short and long options...
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• I second Old Navy.  I was basically their maternity spokesperson last time.  They allow for varying heights, and carry sizes up to XXL
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I agree Old Navy Rocks! I still have to hem the "short" jeans because I just don't have legs LOL. But they were the closest I found to being right

HX

Tickers
    BabyGaga

• For carriers I just got a ring sling (wild bird) for the LO.  I'll but buying a free to grow Tula as well.  We have two toddler tulas that i've used since DD was 18 months. (now almost 4.5)  I still carry her and can't count the amount of target trips (even within the last few months) shes slept on me the entire time, I keep one toddler tula in the car for this reason.

I used the mobi when DD was a newborn but thought the Ktan was easier to use likely by the look of it.  I'll be buying a wrap likely in addition to the ring sling I just got.  I loved wearing DD and can't imagine not doing it again, especially since DD will keep my on the move.

I second the bob recommendation.  We only have the single now but the stroller is amazing and I can only imagine why the double wouldn't be.  

The only things I have remaining from DD are a uppababy vista and a pack n' play and I think all my glass bottles.  We'll be starting from fresh otherwise.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Is anyone wanting a Dock-a-tot this time around or did you use them with your other LO's? I'm really wanting one. I hadn't even heard of them with DS and we loved our rock and play. I can't get DH on board with the price though. He was in absolute sticker shock when I showed him that it was almost $200. I've been looking at a baby nest on Etsy. They look like the exact same thing, has great reviews and cost less than 1/2 of what the dock a tot costs. It's definitely tempting. 
  • @cbutler0045 yes! I want the Dockatot this time around. My friends had it and swore by it. I couldn't bring myself to spend the money last time around because I didn't know about it until DS was already 6 months old and it felt like I'd only get a few more months out of it before needing the bigger size. We relied on the swing too much with DS and transitioning out of it was very hard for nap time. I don't want to make that same mistake.
  • Any opinions on getting a double stroller if DS is going to be 2.5 by the time the new LO comes around? He's already into walking a lot, and it's a struggle to keep him in a stroller for more than 15 minutes. Also, he'll be in daycare while I'm on leave. I should mention we have two strollers already (I won a jogging stroller a few months after DS was born), so in a pinch DH and I could each have a stroller.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ladythriceladythrice member
    edited August 2017
    We need to decide what bed we want for DS. Double bed (already have one but need new mattresses) or bunk bed (love the idea but pricey). We might get another camera for the monitors.... But maybe not. Two kids might end up sharing a room so we can keep our big guest room.

We have a double stroller and we're definitely glad we have it. It has two seats and a rider board attachment so it'll fit all three kids when 3.0 arrives. Baby Jogger City Select is what we have. I recommend it for anyone that will put two in a stroller. I think it's great for FTM too because it can have one seat only if you want and you can buy the second seat when you're ready for #2.

DS: EDD, December 19th, 2014. Born, December 19th, 2014!
    DD: EDD, July 18th, 2016. Born, July 19th, 2016!
    CafeMom Tickers

Baby #3: EDD, April 16th, 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We need to decide what bed we want for DS. Double bed (already have one but need new mattresses) or bunk bed (love the idea but pricey). We might get another camera for the monitors.... But maybe not. Two kids might end up sharing a room so we can keep our big guest room.

We have a double stroller and we're definitely glad we have it. It has two seats and a rider board attachment so it'll fit all three kids when 3.0 arrives. Baby Jogger City Select is what we have. I recommend it for anyone that will put two in a stroller. I think it's great for FTM too because it can have one seat only if you want and you can buy the second seat when you're ready for #2.
    I dont know about price ranges but I have been checking on wayfair for bunk beds for DS and they have some really affordable and cute ones! 
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • irenejean said:
    Any opinions on getting a double stroller if DS is going to be 2.5 by the time the new LO comes around? He's already into walking a lot, and it's a struggle to keep him in a stroller for more than 15 minutes. Also, he'll be in daycare while I'm on leave. I should mention we have two strollers already (I won a jogging stroller a few months after DS was born), so in a pinch DH and I could each have a stroller.
    My 2.5 year old likes to push the stroller, which is kinda nice because it keeps him close when he's walking.  If he needs to stroll, I can plop him in the stroller and wear my little one, so with two kids we've had no need for a double.  With the third on the way, I think I'm getting one though!
    ***March '18 October Siggy Challenge: Halloween Costume Fails***

• irenejean said:
    Any opinions on getting a double stroller if DS is going to be 2.5 by the time the new LO comes around? He's already into walking a lot, and it's a struggle to keep him in a stroller for more than 15 minutes. Also, he'll be in daycare while I'm on leave. I should mention we have two strollers already (I won a jogging stroller a few months after DS was born), so in a pinch DH and I could each have a stroller.
    How often do you go out with the stroller? We do Disneyland a lot so we got the sit and stand for DS2 but DS1 was past the napping stage. It works great because DS1 has somewhere to sit when he's tired or we're going a long distance. When DS2 was newborn we only took a single and I carried him in the Ergo when DS1 was too tired and needed to sit down.
  • @ladythrice does yours have a standing option for the older to ride?

HX

Tickers
    BabyGaga

• luna8433 said:
    Our monitor gave up the ghost so we need a new one of those too. 
    Our monitor gave up with kid # 2 - thankfully their rooms aren't too far away. We'll have to get a new one with this baby though. I want to be able to go downstairs during nap times. 

I'd like to get a few new maternity shirts and another pair of pants. 

We may end up getting a new swing. It bit the dust with our 2nd kid, because she used the heck outta that thing. I may see if I can borrow a friend's to see if this baby even likes the swing before buying though. Our first hated it. 

@KFreeman1221 totally agree on the k'tan - it's the easiest to nurse in for me too!

@kindbytealikat I'm an under 5-footer and finding maternity jeans absolutely sucks. I hear ya!
  • orangecuporangecup member
    edited August 2017
    I had never heard of the dock a tot until this thread so I looked it up. I'm not understanding why it's so amazing. It's just looks like a portable bed. Am I missing something?

ETA It also doesn't look safe to me with those padded sides. Once baby can roll, it looks like their face could be pressed into it and smother.
  • Oh!  I completely forgot to mention the Safety First infant nail care kit.  It has a nail file (use on microscopic newborn nails), and a pair of clippers with a light on them and depth guards.  The latter is good for clipping the nails of squirmy wildlife you don't want to injure.  You know, toddlers.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • We go out with the stroller maybe once a week. These days DS mostly wants to walk, and we don't go on long outings. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker