April 2018 Moms

First Baby Product Bought

Re: First Baby Product Bought

• I just bought a really cute nursing cover that can also be used as a carseat cover and it came with a little matching hat for the baby  :)
  • We have mostly everything (just need odds and ends, or if it's a girl, then maybe some girly outfits) but since we cloth diaper, I bought a few pre-folds for the newborn and ordered a few more pockets with inserts.
  • Loading the player...
  • @RosieMommy2016 do you have a favorite brand of diapers or a certain type you find easier?
  • edited August 2017
    @RosieMommy2016 do you have a favorite brand of diapers or a certain type you find easier?
     I like bum genius. The pre-folds are Gerber. I converted a few older diapers that had velcro to snappies. I love pocket diapers. 
  • @RosieMommy2016 you said you do pre-folds for newborns? 
  • @RosieMommy2016 you said you do pre-folds for newborns? 
    This will be our first time using pre-folds. Last time I used disposables until DS's cord fell off. One of my friends recommended the pre-folds for the newborn.
  • Not really buying anything until we know the sex. We have everything already if we have a boy, but clothing seasons won't really match up. We borrowed a swing last time around so I'll buy one this time and I want a dock a tot. I don't know if I'll bring myself to pay the price though. I was shopping at Bargain Hunt yesterday and found a car seat adapter for our stroller that fit our infant seat. It was 70% off so I snatched it up for $9! They are normally $60 on the city select website.
  • I probably won't be buying a whole lot for this little one except stocking up on diapers and wipes. I am going to try REALLY hard not to find out the sex of this little one, but I am already feeling myself crumble! LOL! We had boy/girl twins in November 2014 and still have a few things to get us by if I decide not to find out. The only problem with this is that they are completely different seasons! :disappointed: So I guess we'll see....I have a shopping problem so it probably won't take long for me to start spending $$$.

I do need some opinions from you all though, we do a lot of hotel stays from about March/April till July for my son's travel baseball. Can any of you recommend something that folds up nice a small that we could take to the hotel for new baby to sleep in? He/she will still be too tiny for a pack and play. TIA!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • This is number 3, I honestly can't think of a thing we'll need beyond wipes! 
  • jilliant26jilliant26 member
    edited August 2017
    Nothing so far, but have been going through some of DD's old things, picking out what that can be reused.
  • I've been stalking diaper swapper for GMD prefolds. I bought brand new ones for DD when I had her (which I'm cursing myself for having sold), and prepping them is AWFUL. I would much rather get them used and not have to go through prepping them.
  • I won't be buying any clothing until we find out the sex since I have practically everything from my 3 yo son. BUT, I just bought my first double stroller! I'm so excited! I never had a great stroller with my first and I found an excellent used City Select and I am ecstatic. It can be a single until the new one comes and I got a great deal. Yay for awesome strollers. Lol.
  • irenejeanirenejean member
    edited August 2017
    @dlammers We have a lotus travel crib, and it works great for us! DS was ~5 months old when we got it. You can get the bassinet conversion kit for traveling with a newborn.
    https://www.guavafamily.com/products/lotus-bassinet
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • If we're having a girl, I'm sure I'll buy some girl clothes before LO is here. Otherwise we are pretty much set for all the baby stuff. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I haven't yet.  Two reasons.  First, I kinda want to wait until my first u/s just to make sure everything looks okay.  I'm super excited but I know it's still early.  Second, I'm in the midst of back to school hell with my older kids and setting up my classroom.  I'm going through money like water.  So this new one is going to have to wait a bit for the goods.  Also, I've been through this twice already so buying things isn't as thrilling.  I'm excited to buy clothes but a lot of the bigger items I either have or I'll borrow from friends. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I haven't bought anything yet, because my PGAL brain can't seem to relax and I don't want to "jinx" anything (as irrational as that is). BUT when I do feel ready, I have a few things saved on Etsy that I want to purchase! 
  • @mstoddart girl, Etsy is so dangerous. I always have like 100 items saved and then need to just delete everything when I start to think spending $100+ on a cute lamp for the nursery is a good idea :#
  • I am too nervous to buy anything yet.  Probably will buy something if the first u/s goes well.  I will probably buy a onesie or something like that.  
  • @kmalls isn't that the truth! it's SO dangerous.
  • Leaving this here! https://www.todaysparent.com/baby/baby-sleep/dangerous-way-parents-are-using-dockatots/

This was a popular item in my bmb! I just saved you hundreds of dollars, you are welcome ;) 
  • Kath525Kath525 member
    edited August 2017
    A lot of the stuff we got with our first kid was used and now that we've had two kids go through them we really need to invest in some new things. But it's hard to spend the money when i know this is our last kid... I think anyways ha. So i have a list of must gets and maybe gets. Haven't gotten anything yet... But a new diaper bag, infant carseat, breast pump, and a rock n play (didn't have this with my first two and I'm super excited) are definitely on the list. Also if it's a boy i need some new premie clothes. I gave all mine away. Both of my kids were late but both came home from the hospital weighing less than 6 pounds. They wore preemie clothes for the first few weeks. We make tiny babies...
  • Well I did it. Just bought something, but now my pgal brain is freaking out!  I found a second hand ergo for $25! 
    I may of may not have tried out said ergo with my 2.5 year old this morning!  So glad I bought it!  I think I'll start using that when he's begging to be held instead of the maya I had before. 
  • There's a huge local kids and maternity consignment sale coming up on October 5-7.  I'll almost be 12 weeks by then and don't know if I decide to do early gender testing if I'll have the results in time for the sale.  Ugh!!!  I'm a FTM, so I literally have nothing.  This sale would be perfect and the next one isn't scheduled until AFTER I am due lol.  Dang timing! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @scuba_chic I feel like most big ticket items you could snag deals on tend to be either a) bright fun colors or b) pink and purple flower tea party. Unless you're dead set for or against the pink stuff depending on the sex of LO, you could probably still pick up some great gear. 
  • danjoly said:
    Leaving this here! https://www.todaysparent.com/baby/baby-sleep/dangerous-way-parents-are-using-dockatots/

This was a popular item in my bmb! I just saved you hundreds of dollars, you are welcome ;) 
    This definitely confirms what I was thinking. This thing seems like a bad idea. An expensive bad idea.
  • orangecup said:
    danjoly said:
    Leaving this here! https://www.todaysparent.com/baby/baby-sleep/dangerous-way-parents-are-using-dockatots/

This definitely confirms what I was thinking. This thing seems like a bad idea. An expensive bad idea.
    Yeah the word "breathable" has always left me with questions 
  • viggie17viggie17 member
    edited September 2017
    Ok dumb question (complete, utter newbie here!) @danjoly to me this looks kind of similar to a rock n play, except it doesn't have legs on it... and I thought I recalled a lot of women on here earlier saying the rock n play working way better than a bassinet for sleeping... does the rock n play just not have cushioned sides? I've never actually seen one, unless I'm looking at Google images, and it looks like some kind of do and some are just mesh sides.
  • viggie17 said:
    Ok dumb question (complete, utter newbie here!) @danjoly to me this looks kind of similar to a rock n play, except it doesn't have legs on it... and I thought I recalled a lot of women on here earlier saying the rock n play working way better than a bassinet for sleeping... does the rock n play just not have cushioned sides? I've never actually seen one, unless I'm looking at Google images, and it looks like some kind of do and some are just mesh sides.
    Rock and plays aren't considered safe for sleeping either.
  • So I spilled the beans early to my family! It's the first grandchild on my parents side (my husband is the only boy with 5 (Yes 5) sisters so this is the first opportunity to carry on the family name on his side) so everyone is excited and for MY birthday I've been receiving awesome gender-nutral baby gifts. So far, a shopping cart cover and a rocker/glider with the promise of more baby gifts on my actual bday...needless to say, I started a registry at Buy Buy Baby. You get a cool goodie bag!! Everyone should go do this!
  • I'm late to the game, but holy crap that dock-a-tot thing is $270?!?! WTH?

DS: EDD, December 19th, 2014. Born, December 19th, 2014!
    DD: EDD, July 18th, 2016. Born, July 19th, 2016!
    CafeMom Tickers

Baby #3: EDD, April 16th, 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • ladythriceladythrice member
    edited September 2017
    julzy said:
    viggie17 said:
    Rock and plays aren't considered safe for sleeping either.
    There is some disagreement on that statement in the medical/parenting community I think @Julzy. Due to reflux, our ped actually recommended using a RNP for my second. Its also worth noting that the term 'rock n play' is used to describe a whole genre of devices at this point and some are safer than others.

@viggie17 we have a deep RNP, slightly reclined, with a firm back, and 100% mesh sides. Both my kids have slept in RNPs for a period of time when they were itty bitty newborns.

CafeMom Tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I totally picked up the double city select (STM) the other day!  Barely Used on Facebook for $150.  WIN!
  • I haven't bought anything baby, since my first appointment isn't until week 10 :neutral: but I've bought non-maternity clothes with baby bump in mind! A peasant top at Macy's for $8, and two $5 C9 athleisure tops - extra long with side ruching that would accommodate a bump. I'll be able to wear these during pregnancy and beyond so I'm pleased.
  • I'm late to the game, but holy crap that dock-a-tot thing is $270?!?! WTH?
    Yes, it's a freaking cushion! I don't understand why people think this is so great and that they need one. Whoever invented it is apparently a marketing genius though.
  • I bought a used Storkcraft glider. So comfy, can't wait to sit in it with my little one!
    Rocky. 26. Married. Expecting our
  • lindsye said:
    I am the person who would buy this. My babies all suck at sleep so severely and for so long that I reach a point where I will give my credit card number to anyone selling well reviewed baby sleep sh*t on Amazon. I swear - sleep deprived parents are about as exploitable a population as they come in terms of marketing.
    That's true. If you tell parents it will make their baby sleep, they will give you all their money lol
  • @lindsye After DS was born and O N E night at home (I was delirious...) I ordered this thing from amazon and paid for overnight shipping, CERTAIN he'd sleep in it... He didn't. And neither did I because I was terrified he was going to suffocate on the edges. /sigh. BUT I swear it was <$60 or so. Its still sitting in a closet somewhere...

The First Years Close And Secure SleeperColors May Vary

CafeMom Tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ladythrice I came so close to buying that damn dockatot thing so many times when my last baby was a baby, but was held back by knowing how neurotic I am and knowing that even if he slept in it, I wouldn't sleep because I would worry his face was pressed up against the side of it. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml