December 2017 Moms
Options

Symptoms/Questions/Concerns 7/31

Re: Symptoms/Questions/Concerns 7/31

• Options
    @thatlauragirl and anyone that uses KT tape, do you have a particular place you like to buy it? i can always use amazon but thought i'd check.

@KathrynJ088  i was reading more about proper application and it made sure to point out that the beginning and terminating ends should be pretty much no tension and that the "middle" part, if you will, should have the tension. that way you don't have the skin ripping problem. hope that helps. oh, and i also think 4 BH per hour is waaaayyy too low a bar. i am sure they can clarify for you though. 

ladies with swelling, i know the last thing you want to do in the hot summer is squeeze your legs into compression sleeves / socks, but they really are miraculous in how much they help. the circulation is so much improved and your legs just feel better, in addition to visibly swelling less. i'll be honest, i wouldn't be good about wearing them every day if i wasn't required to due to my clotting disorder but they really are magical. i'm talking medical-grade graduated compression, 20-30mm Hg or more. I actually wear running compression sleeves most of the time instead of full socks or grandma-looking knee highs. you can get a pair for 15 bucks easily on amazon in pretty much whatever color you want. not a great fashion statement but as we proceed into cooler whether and third tri, maybe you can cover them up with pants or leggings!

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Ladies with sinus congestion: I use a nasal saline spray in the shower and just snort and flush the crap out of my sinuses every morning. I'm sure I sound super cute during this process but I really don't care. I've struggled with sinus headaches/pressure my whole life and lived on pseudoephedrine but this new flushing out everything seems to be helping. 

@KathrynJ088  As far as leg cramps, I've been drinking daily a huge (like 1 liter sized) coconut water which has magnesium/potassium. I'm bad at being hydrated so it's more for that but I've found my leg cramps have improved. Also, large quantities of coconut water really get things moving so it's like three birds with one stone. 

My new symptom is swelling. My fingers are sausages, and I can't wear my rings anymore. I religiously were compression stockings at work but I don't think there's much I can do about my poor hands. I feel you @jackiesmom324
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @KathrynJ088 if you're getting BH every 7 mins consistently for a while, I'd make a call to your nurse line and just say, "I'm having a lot of BH. Today, it was every 7 minutes for half an hour (or whatever). At what point should I be calling in?" Or wait til your next appt if it's soon. Usually, they will tell you to drink a glass of water and lay on your left side and if it still doesn't subside, call, but I'd get the exact recommendation from your OB. 

As for the calf pain, I always flex my foot and wait for it to subside, but I only had this happen a few times with DD and not at all yet this time. I am with you on the no bananas except banana bread! I heard once that you can put the peels on your feet and absorb potassium that way, but that might be an old wives' tale. 

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • Options
    @KathrynJ088 those are the WORST!  On the banana front; have you tried making banana and almond/peanut butter smoothies?
    1 cup milk
    1 cup ice
    1 banana
    1 tbsp almond or peanut butter 

its delicious. 

I made buttermilk banana blueberry muffins yesterday for some extra fruit deliciousness, so do that if you want!
  • Options
    @KathrynJ088 I have had loads of BH this pregnancy, multiple in an hours and it's every day. My midwife said because this is my third pregnancy that "yeah used uteruses are more irratible". Lol she definitely doesn't sugar coat anything. But anyway she says as long as the BH were painful and weren't particularly timeable that I should t worry. She didn't tell me that a certain number was too much though.

also I get Charlie horses often. Dr said it could be from imbalanced electrolytes and told me to drink tonic water. Or anything else rich in electrolytes. 
  • Options
    @breezybee ooh banana blueberry muffins sound amazing!! 
  • Options
    @kvacmak, I haven't ever seen one...didn't need them in the past but my abdomen strength is atrocious this time. Unfortunately with my work schedule I likely won't be able to start until maternity leave (this is a temporary position I am filling and already having to miss many days for doctor's appts and vacation.)

@jlemons-2, that absolutely could be carpal tunnel. It was so bad with both of my prior pregnancies. I can feel it slightly already but it isn't terrible yet.

@KathrynJ088, potatoes and orange juice are high in potassium. Also I hear a small packet of mustard will help as well. I think that's for the magnesium, though.
  • Options
    @anewadventure - I haven't worn compression socks for pregnancy, but I have a bunch from running.  Except for running my rule was the more obnoxious the better.  So that's gonna be fun when I need compression socks and my options are neon green, neon pink argyle, or royal blue with snowflakes!  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • Options
    @anewadventure - I haven't worn compression socks for pregnancy, but I have a bunch from running.  Except for running my rule was the more obnoxious the better.  So that's gonna be fun when I need compression socks and my options are neon green, neon pink argyle, or royal blue with snowflakes!  
    yesss!!! might as well have good ones!
    i'm already struggling to pull them on and off, lord help me as my belly grows bigger and i start to feel like i have t-rex arms

• Options
    @anewadventure right there with you on the compression socks struggle... I remember being like 37 weeks with DS trying to put those bitches on... It was a workout in and of itself! hahaha
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    kvacmak said:
    anewadventure right there with you on the compression socks struggle... I remember being like 37 weeks with DS trying to put those bitches on... It was a workout in and of itself! hahaha
    which reminds me of a legit symptom for this thread. ughhhh. in the third tri of my last pregnancy, my ribcage was super expanded. i started to get a lot of soreness where my abdomen connects to my ribcage. eventually, the strain was so great that, as best as i can describe, my abdominal muscles would detach and start to curl up like a tight bowstring. it is the worst thing ever. unfortunately, even in the years since, if i bend in a certain way, this happens. 

well, as of this week, if i bend in pretty much any way at all, this happens on one side or the other. it is so awful. here's the thing - i guess i don't have monkey arms but i'm going to have to figure out how to "wipe" myself without this happening. if someone hears me dying in the bathroom they will never guess why. blehhhh.

so with the compression socks, not only can i barely reach them, i can't bend over in the right way and apply the required force to get them on or off without triggering this reaction. i literally am at a loss as to what to do. send help.  :(:'(

• Options
    @NME44 thanks for your input, I meant to mention it at my last appointment but of course didn't because of pregnancy brain!
  • Options
    @anewadventure I normally just order from Amazon because I love all the color choices! You may already know this, but definitely go with the "pro" tape as you'll get several days out of it while the regular falls off pretty easily. I've also heard they have it for a few bucks cheaper at WalMart but I've never seen it there.
    Me: 38 l DH: 41
    Gavin - 8/27/10
    *TW*
    Gabriel - 2nd tri loss 5/17/16 Trisomy 18 & 21
    Hope -  2nd tri loss 12/7/16 complications from pneumonia

• Options
    @jlemons-2, there's likely nothing your OB will be able to do for you. My only recommendations are make sure you have those wrist braces for sleeping and maybe avoid foods high in salt to decrease water retention and therefore swelling. Other than that, giving birth is the only thing that has worked for me  :D
  • Options
    I finally weaned myself off the Diclegis this week (knock on wood!) but apparently whatever little bit of antihistamine it contained was keeping my allergies at bay, because today I have done nothing but sneeze/itch/scratch/snort/generally be inflamed.  Benadryl is barely touching it and mouth breathing is extra hard when there is a small person underneath your lungs. 

@jackiesmom324  I wish they had a nice portable version of those automatically inflating pressure cuff leg things like you wear after surgery.  They probably would help and for some reason I find the noise they make relaxing!  :D
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice ladies! 

For the KT tape @anewadventure, I picked it up from Walmart, but have also seen at most pharmacies like CVS, Walgreens, and my usual grocery store, HEB. Since my support bands have come in, I'm not using it anymore, but that makes total sense on the application. I guess it just takes practice.

There was a ton of responses about the leg cramps - too much scrolling to tag you all! THANK YOU! I asked my doc today and she was very hesitant on the magnesium supplements or any supplements really because of twins. She advised me to do some leg stretches before bed and to drink bunches of water, which I was doing great at and then my water bottle lid broke and I've gone downhill fast. I also made some banana bread bottom cheesecake, and plan on eating a slice before bed everynight until it's gone :)

I also talked to my nurse about the BH, she was on the same page that 4 in an hour was too soon and to just check for patterns, and to talk to the doc about it. BUT I didn't have it written down on my list of questions for the doc, so I totally forgot in the 10 minutes I waited for her to come in. I downloaded a contraction tracking app, so if I start to see a pattern that doesn't go away with water and laying on my left side, I'll be sure to call!

On a side note, she did approve getting me a temporary handicap sign so I can park close at work. I work at a large campus and 2 of our buildings have maternity parking spaces, but mine doesn't. I'm thinking it's because it's mainly a male population in my building, but of course HR would never admit that. Anyway, it's become increasingly difficult to walk the quarter mile from the back of the parking lot to the building while it's 100 degrees with heat index of 106.
  • Options
    Lightening Crotch!!!! Man, is it bad this time! Heartburn (I started using an EO roller blend this afternoon so we shall see how that goes), BH too. Only early in the morning and maybe a few in the evening while getting DD down for the night. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @KathrynJ088   your doc gets an eyeroll for me on the magnesium supplements. "because of twins" ?? that's really a bunk reason. if she's just not comfortable with them she should say so. i know there are plenty of things you worry more about with twins but this wouldn't be one of them. congrats on finally getting your parking tag!

• Options
    I know exactly what you mean, unfortunately! 
  • Options
    Ugh random morning vomiting. I don't get nauseated just all of a sudden I need to puke. It's happened probably 5 or 6 times... Just out of nowhere. I think it might be if I wake up dehydrated or didn't eat close enough to bedtime... Seems to be more likely if I drink water before eating anything in the AM... at least I feel better immediately!
  • Options
    @kvacmak, that was the theme throughout my last two pregnancies. I was so parched every morning. Drank water, gagged for a bit, feeling passed. Doesn't seem to be as much a problem this time around. But for sure the water made me nauseated. That's totally a thing
  • Options
    @splsmama2016, would you mind sharing what you put in your roller blend? I'm definitely getting into the heartburn phase lately.
    Me: 38 l DH: 41
    Gavin - 8/27/10
    *TW*
    Gabriel - 2nd tri loss 5/17/16 Trisomy 18 & 21
    Hope -  2nd tri loss 12/7/16 complications from pneumonia

• Options
    @splsmama2016 What is an EO roller blend? 
  • Options
    I was really constipated this week. I tried so many things to help it out that I'm not sure which one finally started helping, but I am finally feeling better this afternoon. What a horrible experience! I'm going to try to be really nice to my husband the next few days, because he put up with some serious grouch monstering this week :(
  • Options
    glad you're feeling better, @muskratbaby.  Have you tried prunes already?  I've been constipated for a while now, but started eating just 3-5 every day and it's been a huge help, along with drinking plenty of water and keeping moving.  I don't really enjoy eating them, but, it's worth it!
    ___
    Due date 12/9
    I can't figure out the pregnancy countdown tickers, but I do know how to make a signature!
    #40andpregnant

As of 12/15/2017, my new hashtag is #41 and pregnant!
  • Options
    @muskratbaby smoothies are my secret weapon to battle constipation. I *try* to have one daily, and definitely notice when I don't. I always incorporate avocado, flax meal, fruit and fresh greens and it seems to do the trick!
  • Options
    Update:  Just say no to stopping the Diclegis.  I have now made this mistake twice, I will not be making it again.  Twenty more weeks of overpriced pills, here we go!  *laughs to keep from crying*
  • Options
    @kvacmak - I love smoothies!  Such an easy way to get some greens.  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • Options
    I forgot my Zantac this morning. Definitely feeling it  :s
  • Options
    Twice this week I've been revisited by the dry heaves. Not impressed. Also the burn seems to be increasing, so far all I've needed is tums. ::fingers crossed::
  • Options
    Today I've having a re-run of the "I'm so tired" refrain from 1st tri.  I have failed to type my own name correctly on 5 of the last 6 emails I've written. I hope it's cool enough to sleep tonight.  (5 days left until our AC is installed.)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kyrwyn
    I feel you on the fatigue... I feel like all my 2nd tri energy is gone too!
  • Options
    @kvacmak That's a solidarity lovetit, not "I love that you're exhausted".  My tired-brain feels the need to clarify.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @elcd458 I'm right there with you on the Diclegis. 
  • Options
    @kyrwyn and @kvacmak I hear you on the exhaustion. First I thought it was just my schedule, but I've been off a couple of days and am barely making it through the day. Baby must be going through a growth spurt or something requiring all the energy. At least no horrible nausea/barfing like first tri (at least for me, hope for you too!)
  • Options
    I puked on myself today. WTF
  • Options
    I'm so tired but sleeping like crap at night.  I just can't get comfortable and I'm now peeing like 4 times a night.  Also with naps I'm still waking up feeling awful.  Doesn't matter if I nap 20 minutes or 2 hours.  I wake up with a pounding head and nauseous.  I just want some rest!

• Options
    Question: My sleep is basically garbage (I've always been a back sleeper, so transitioning to side is not fun). Currently I'm just cuddling a little throw pillow, but I think I'm going to get a Snoogle or regular body pillow.

Anyone who has experience with the Snoogle: Do you/did you love it/hate it? Extra props if you were a back sleeper and can let me know if it did or didn't help you side sleep! I'm not really worried about the cost or the size. We have a king size bed, and it gets a little cramped because our dogs sleep with us, but I won't feel bad about forcing the dogs to sleep at the foot of the bed (one of them always sleeps by our heads) if there isn't enough room.
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • Options
    @MJDsquared I'm a multi-position sleeper and love, can't sleep without, my Snoogle. You can even rest your back against the long part, so you're not flat on your back, but more at a left angle. 

Plus, you can spiral it up to lay on your stomach!