February 2018 Moms
Options

NIPT

Sorry if this was already discussed but I searched and didn't see anything. I am pregnant with a PGS tested embryo (chromosomally normal) but my ob still recommended the NIPT just to be sure. This is super frustrating because we spent a TON of money on embryo testing but it is what it is. I just called my insurance company and found out the NIPT isn't covered but the call was cut off before they could tell me how much it will cost and if I call back and get placed on hold for another 30 minutes I might just kill someone. Have any of you guys paid out of pocket for the NIPT and if so, would you mind sharing how much it cost? I'd like to get a ballpark so we can decide if it's worth it. Thanks!
TW*** Child and loss mentioned
Married 10/12
DS 11/14
Ectopic 2/16
PCOS/Ovulation Dysfunction 11/16
IUI x 3- BFN
Laparoscopy 3/17 Endo and tubal damage
IVF- 4/17- 40 eggs retrieved, 10 blasts, 7 pgs tested embryos
FET- 6/17- BFP!
Due Feb 15, 2017

Re: NIPT

• Options
    My insurance won't cover the test either so my OBGYN advised me that it would cost us about $100.
  • Options
    I've read it can run $100-250 OOP if insurance doesn't cover it.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh wow ok thanks @ash0625 and @soulcupcake I read it could be around $1000 or $1,200. $100 is a totally different story.
    Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017
  • Options
    I think it would depend upon your insurance plan, deductible etc.
  • Options
    ashhsaashhsa member
    I'm in Australia and paying $450 out of pocket for nipt 
  • Options
    Just talked with my obgyn yesterday, it depends a lot on the brand of test and your insurance. I have heard $95-$350 for out of pocket. She told us since we are paying out of pocket there is a cheaper one that gives basically the same results as the more expensive one. 
  • Options
    I will be having the test too.  At my new office they use Panarama and the max out of pocket is 350 should it be denied.  At my old office they used Proginity (not sure on spelling there) but out of pocket max was 100.  Ironically I never paid a dime although I kept getting insurance denial letters.  I will probably get a bill years from now.  
  • Options
    I did Counsyl testing and it's $199 without insurance. Thankfully it was covered but I would have paid the $$ for the piece of mind. 
  • Options
    I'm doing Progenity and was told they will submit it to the insurance company. If denied, it should cost me $99.
  • Options
    GoogleMDGoogleMD member
    edited July 2017
    There is really no point for you to do that if you have already have had chromosome testing of the embryo. These tests are less accurate than what you have already have done, it will not yield any new information. 

thebonly thing you might find out is the sex if that was not preiviously disclosed during your IVF 
  • Options
    Also, if any of you are using panorama, you can call the main company, natera, and they usually help with billing info and will even give huge discounts to their clients.  It's worth a try to reduce oop costs.
  • Options
    @googlemd @momajenna_cnm that was my understanding also which is why I'm so frustrated. PGS actually tested the embryo cells so how could a blood test reveal something the initial testing couldn't? They explained that it's not 100% for sure but that still doesn't sound right to me. Either way I thought it was cost upwards of a thousand or more so it's good to know most paid a fraction of that. 
    Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017
  • Options
    GoogleMDGoogleMD member
    edited July 2017
    NIPT has the risk of false positives in which case they are going to recommend an amniocentesis which carries the risk of mc or agree that the PGS results over rule the screening results.
    personally I would decline, and consider a new Dr.
  • Options
    @GoogleMD Everything I have seen says NIPT has a lower rate of false positive than standard screening, so I don't think the risks of a false positive would be a reason alone that I would or wouldn't chose to have NIPT done. As others have said, it is still a screening not diagnostic so other tests should be performed along with it to provide a clearer picture of the risks.

In the case OOP, PGS testing would be a situation where I wouldn't pursue NIPT after. 
  • Options
    My sister screened positive for Downs when she was pregnant with her 4th. The Dr wanted to do amnio and she said no. My niece does not have Downs. 

****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018

• Options
    @soulcupcake There is actually such a thing as false positives. Here is a link from the CDC explaining the cases of false positives in NIPT. For an example a false positive would be in the case where the risk assesment comes back as high, but the markers are from a vanishing twin and not the baby that is being assessed. It could also be the case where something in the mothers DNA triggers a high risk assesment instead of the baby's DNA which again would be a false positive. 

ftp://ftp.cdc.gov/pub/cliac_meeting_presentations/pdf/addenda/cliac1115/10_Bellcross_Genetics_NIPS_CLIAC_Nov2015.pdf

• Options
    ramzlau said:
    @soulcupcake There is actually such a thing as false positives. Here is a link from the CDC explaining the cases of false positives in NIPT. For an example a false positive would be in the case where the risk assesment comes back as high, but the markers are from a vanishing twin and not the baby that is being assessed. It could also be the case where something in the mothers DNA triggers a high risk assesment instead of the baby's DNA which again would be a false positive. 

ftp://ftp.cdc.gov/pub/cliac_meeting_presentations/pdf/addenda/cliac1115/10_Bellcross_Genetics_NIPS_CLIAC_Nov2015.pdf

I get what you're saying. I've read the data. These abnormalities that yield a false positive account for so few of the "false positives" that many people fret over. Placental abnormalities and vanishing twin syndrome that affect risk assessments makes sense when examining how and why they affect maternal serum markers. Like in the case of vanishing twin syndrome where one twin could have a chromosome abnormality that passed in utero and the embryonic or fetal tissue is absorbed into the other twin, placenta or the mother. In that case, it isn't the surviving twin that lead to the positive risk assessment. 

But in other cases, sometimes the mother just has low PAPP-A or elevated free beta hCG whether or not her baby has a chromosome abnormality. However, CfDNA has such a low rate of "false" screen positives. The issue I have, and have had for many years with "false positive" being thrown around as often as it is, is a lot of people regard it as a diagnostic tool and assume ill intent when the screenings are offered. Like the existence of a screen positive being "false" should negate the benefits or purpose of these screenings. There's risk of false positive and false negatives with ultrasound, that is intended to be used as a diagnostic tool, and yet the vast majority aren't going to decline the ultrasound or regard it with ill intent.

• Options
    @soulcupcake I am with you on that and understand that our goal was the same thing. These are tools for screening and should be taken as such. They are not perfect, but provide a lot of value if used correctly. 
  • Options
    Anyone opt in and currently waiting for results? Friday will be one week for me and I'm guessing I'll have to wait until next week, but hoping the results come before the weekend!
  • Options
    Anyone opt in and currently waiting for results? Friday will be one week for me and I'm guessing I'll have to wait until next week, but hoping the results come before the weekend!
    I had my test on a Tuesday and received the results the following Monday!
    i hope you hear soon!
  • Options
    @yellow711 Wow! That's awesome! Do you know the company your OB used? Mine is progenity...
  • Options
    @yellow711 Wow! That's awesome! Do you know the company your OB used? Mine is progenity...
    materniT21 
  • Options
    clc515clc515 member
    I actually did the harmony blood draw 2 weeks ago but apparently they didnt get enough fetal fluid so had to redraw today. Can't wait for results!
  • Options
    NKF312NKF312 member
    Did mine on Friday, so anxious for the results !
  • Options
    mpp06mpp06 member
    I had mine done today! Be about 7 days they said and I think mine was progenity!
  • Options
    hr1116hr1116 member
    Oh and I just wanted to ask if there was a reason your dr was recommending this to you, it is optional? :/
    Here in Australia there is one that is done for free however it is 85% accurate compared to the 99% accuracy you get with Harmony/Percept/Panorama. 
    It is your choice though!Some women choose to not even know! Are you high risk? Usually they only push women to get it done that are 35+ 
    You decide, it's so expensive 
    All the best 
  • Options
    Mine was done today. Should get results in 7-10 days.

• Options
    I did the Maternit21 test and my prenatal labs last Thursday, and slowly getting results. My doc/lab sends me a notification as a new result comes in. The prenatal labs are coming up normal, just waiting on the genetic testing and gender results. Since I'm AMA, it was recommended I get it done, and it's covered by my insurance.
  • Options
    @clc515 ugh! No fun! I hate blood tests and really hope they don't suck more blood from me! I just want my results! 

Australia girl whose name is long to tag: It does seem like a lot of people I've talked to IRL opt out of NIPT. Most of them say it's because if something comes back abnormal, it wouldn't change anything, so they don't want to know. My DH and I are Planners to the nth degree so we preferred to know so we can mentally prepare should we need to. Our insurance likely does not cover the test. Doc estimated we'd be charged $99. Around here we have private ultrasound facilities that people sometimes go to at 15 weeks or so to find out the gender. This usually costs at least $100. We figured we would have spent the money either way. At least this way we get more information and we get it sooner! I'm also hoping that knowing the gender will make this a bit more real for me. I don't always believe that I am actually pregnant!
  • Options
    Should we start a thread for if it's a boy or a girl since so many of us are getting this done??  I get my blood drawn for mine today.
  • Options
    hr1116hr1116 member
    @ChristmasCookie Yeah we too wanted to be mentally prepared also, it's a bonus finding out the gender so early :) 
    Haha it still doesn't feel real for me too! All the best
  • Options
    @chucksmom15 yes! was thinking the same thing. I SHOULD get my results tomorrow, but I also should've had them on Monday so who know...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'll start one then!  
  • Options
    ashhsaashhsa member
    @hr1116 I'm in Australia also and doing the percept test on Monday. Glad yours went well! Congrats!  How was the blood draw? As I need to also get my thyroid test possibly on Monday too- or would you recommend to delay it as they draw a lot of blood (I will also check with my doc, but seeing as it's the weekend I thought you maybe be able to give me a little insight before Monday) 
  • Options
    hr1116hr1116 member
    @ashhsa I was actually surprised I thought they were going to take a lot of blood for some reason haha they only took one tube thing (sorry not sure what they're called), it was done like a normal blood test :) so I think you should be alright to get another one if you need to. Double check with your dr too but they really didn't take much at all with me. I'm pretty sure when I first got pregnant my GP took like 3 tubes to test for everything (vitamins, HCG etc) so you should really be fine
    Good luck :) let us know how you go 
  • Options
    ashhsaashhsa member
    @hr1116 you are def right, the first one was three tubes! Great, sounds like I can do both which is good, but I will double check anyway. Thank you!!  :)