June 2017 Moms
Options

6/5 Weekly Randoms

2»

Re: 6/5 Weekly Randoms

• Options
    MrsCaliRN said:
    Anyone GBS+ in previous pregnancies? I have a couple questions for ya:
    1. Did you refuse or not receive the antibiotics in L&D? If so, what was that experience like?
    2. How long was your overall hospital stay postpartum? Was it related to your or your LO's GBS status?

I was GBS- with DS and was able to discharge from the hospital 12 hours after delivery. Was really hoping for this again, but now I'm worried that I'll have to stay a lot longer. Curious about you all's experiences.

I was GBS+ last time (and was shocked to learn I was negative this time, yay).  The antibiotics were not a big deal, and I do not suggest skipping them - complications from GBS can be life threatening.  Basically they pushed the first bag of drugs through my IV as soon as I was admitted and then pushed a second bag right before I started pushing (just happened to be 4 hours apart).  If you are there for longer, they will push a bag every 4 hours, and they generally want you to have at least two doses before delivery.  The only difference other than needing the drugs for delivering with GBS is that you are not supposed to be in a tub once your water breaks because that makes it easier for it to spread to the baby.  I didn't plan to be in a tub at all, so this didn't effect me.

DD was born at 11:55pm and we left probably 40 hours later.  Generally, we would have been released after our "second night" (the night I delivered counted as the first night since she was born before midnight) earlier in the day, but they wanted to be able to monitor DD for at least 36 hours before releasing us.  We weren't trying to leave any earlier, so I don't know if they would have let us (they might be ok with that if you schedule an appointment with your pediatrician for the day after you leave).  I'm actually pretty pumped that this time I might be able to leave after one night instead of two.  I did not sleep the whole time I was there, and it was terrible.  Plus i'll miss DD and we'll have my in laws at home for help anyway.

• Options
    @kdanjou My aunt has been a L&D nurse for 25+ years and swears by the full moon bringing in the pregnant women!  I have no idea if there are any stats behind that, but I can't say I'd mind that helping things move along.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MrsCaliRN said:
    1. Did you refuse or not receive the antibiotics in L&D? If so, what was that experience like?
    2. How long was your overall hospital stay postpartum? Was it related to your or your LO's GBS status?

I was GBS- with DS and was able to discharge from the hospital 12 hours after delivery. Was really hoping for this again, but now I'm worried that I'll have to stay a lot longer. Curious about you all's experiences.
    GBS+ in all 4 pregnancies, got antibiotics each time, left after two days each time, longer stay by choice.
  • Options
    kdanjou said:
    Any thoughts on whether the full moon will affect us still preggos?  I know it's kind of an old wives tale but I can't help but hope.
    I'm thinking it will. I used to work at a Dr's office and the full moon drastically effected our patients for at least two days. Normally sane and sweet patients would be confused and hateful. There were always odd injuries, and more than the usual amount of people getting suddenly ill. I started marking it on my calender so I could be sure to have extra coffee on those days. That being said, I fully expect a small baby boom on Friday and Saturday. Either way, it'll be interesting!
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • Options
    merrylea said:
    MrsCaliRN said:

Wait wait wait.... are you thinking that of refusing antibiotics because you don't want to stay in the hospital long? GBS carries some serious and also very much preventable risks for your baby, which I'm sure you know.
    Agree! I've been GBS+ both times, all it means for you is that you need 2 doses of penicillin spaced 4 hrs apart in L&D while in labor. No extra time in the hospital, no particular consequence for you with respect to your postpartum stay or care. But, potential for serious preventable consequences for the baby if you don't get antibiotics, such as risk of sepsis and meningitis in the neonatal period. As someone who deals with babies on the other side, please get the antibiotics that are recommended by your OB during the intrapartum phase!  Again, you won't need any special care or attention with respect to GBS afterwards and your baby won't need anything just because you were GBS positive (barring any fever, respiratory distress...but that's a separate issue).
  • Options
    MrsCaliRNMrsCaliRN member
    edited June 2017
    Thanks for the info @Wino0920 , @Stankonia2014  and @delujm0
    @merrylea and @gabadoo I am definitely not planning to say "no" to antibiotics just to get out of the hospital earlier. On the contrary, I wanted to know if I am really diligent about getting the course of antibiotics before giving birth if that would make an early discharge possible.
    My original question mainly comes from the influence I've received from a lot of GBS+ moms in my post-partum/breastfeeding group with DS that didn't receive the antibiotics (some by choice, some due to quickly progressing labor, and some because of unknown GBS status [ie. they gave birth prior to the normal GBS testing schedule]). I have started researching more about GBS after finding out that I'm positive just this morning, especially about the actual rates of infection in infants born to GBS+ mothers and I plan to chat with my midwife about pros and cons of getting the antibiotics because I've never done much to educate myself on the whole thing, and I make it a point to not just follow anything blindly without knowing the evidence behind it. 
    I really appreciate all of your input! :)

Edited to fix an incorrect username tag

Me: 31
         DH: 34
    Married 11/09/2013

LO#1: LMP 09/14/2014  BFP 10/15/2014  EDD 06/24/2015  DS Born 06/14/2015
    LO#2: LMP 09/18/2016  BFP 10/19/2016  EDD 06/27/2017 DD Born 06/27/2017
    LO#3: LMP 05/16/2018  BFP 06/18/2018  EDD 02/20/2019

• Options
    MrsCaliRN said:
    Thanks for the info @Wino0920 , @Stankonia2014  and @delujm0
    @merrylea and @gabadoo I am definitely not planning to say "no" to antibiotics just to get out of the hospital earlier. On the contrary, I wanted to know if I am really diligent about getting the course of antibiotics before giving birth if that would make an early discharge possible.
    My original question mainly comes from the influence I've received from a lot of GBS+ moms in my post-partum/breastfeeding group with DS that didn't receive the antibiotics (some by choice, some due to quickly progressing labor, and some because of unknown GBS status [ie. they gave birth prior to the normal GBS testing schedule]). I have started researching more about GBS after finding out that I'm positive just this morning, especially about the actual rates of infection in infants born to GBS+ mothers and I plan to chat with my midwife about pros and cons of getting the antibiotics because I've never done much to educate myself on the whole thing, and I make it a point to not just follow anything blindly without knowing the evidence behind it. 
    I really appreciate all of your input! :)

Edited to fix an incorrect username tag
    My midwife gave me a lot of information on GBS. It was very interesting. Knowing the evidence is definitely a must!
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • Options
    merrylea said:
    MrsCaliRN said:

Wait wait wait.... are you thinking that of refusing antibiotics because you don't want to stay in the hospital long? GBS carries some serious and also very much preventable risks for your baby, which I'm sure you know.
    I was caring for a newborn in the nursery during nursing school, baby was maybe an hour old.  As I was assessing her she went from pink to blue within seconds, with an oxygen saturation of 50%.   Her mom was GBS+ and didn't get the antibiotics.  Baby ended up very sick in the NICU.  I can't think of any acceptable reason not to get the antibiotics.

• Options
    merrylea said:
    MrsCaliRN said:

I was caring for a newborn in the nursery during nursing school, baby was maybe an hour old.  As I was assessing her she went from pink to blue within seconds, with an oxygen saturation of 50%.   Her mom was GBS+ and didn't get the antibiotics.  Baby ended up very sick in the NICU.  I can't think of any acceptable reason not to get the antibiotics.
    This
  • Options
    huzzahuzza said:
    So we had an apt yesterday for 37 weeks.  DS1 came at 37 weeks and now DH is freaking out! We were supposed to go visit my brother and his family this weekend who are moving in to a new house AND it's my mom's birthday so we were going to have a huge celebration at their new house but now DH is freaking out so much that he doesn't want to go.  Granted it's 2 hours away but I'm only 1.5 cm dilated (with DS1 I was 4 by now)... I don't know... would you go? 
    So my lovely DH is now having a full blown man temper tantrum about this... which makes me want to dig in my heels even more and go. I haven't had any signs of labor other than some Braxton hicks. I told him tonight that if I didn't see my mucus plug by Friday we were going. 
  • Options
    Is anyone else crazy enough to be in the middle moving at this point in time? I'm 39 weeks on Sunday, and we finally purchased a home and closed on it at the end of May after 5 months of searching and since then DH has been there every evening after work and every weekend doing some minor renovations and painting and getting it ready to move in. We were hoping to move in before DS arrives but not sure it's gonna happen. I've been furiously packing for a couple weeks now while caring for a 1.5 yo that's become super clingy lately and getting into everything while still working. Part of me wants to say screw it and wait till after baby to move but I know it's gonna be even harder with 2. I'm ready for pregnancy to be over but also hoping he's late like DD. 
  • Options
    For the ladies who got antibiotics to treat GBS-did you have any side effects? When I take them orally I've had problems with nausea...is it the same with IV antibiotics? Obviously that's a small matter compared to the risk of not getting them, just want to prepare myself...
  • Options
    For the ladies who got antibiotics to treat GBS-did you have any side effects? When I take them orally I've had problems with nausea...is it the same with IV antibiotics? Obviously that's a small matter compared to the risk of not getting them, just want to prepare myself...
    I personally did not have any issues with nausea, but I suppose you could easily ask for zofran if that's the case. FTR, I was given penicillin as my antibiotic, not sure if that's standard. 
  • Options
    Praying41 said:
    Is anyone else crazy enough to be in the middle moving at this point in time? I'm 39 weeks on Sunday, and we finally purchased a home and closed on it at the end of May after 5 months of searching and since then DH has been there every evening after work and every weekend doing some minor renovations and painting and getting it ready to move in. We were hoping to move in before DS arrives but not sure it's gonna happen. I've been furiously packing for a couple weeks now while caring for a 1.5 yo that's become super clingy lately and getting into everything while still working. Part of me wants to say screw it and wait till after baby to move but I know it's gonna be even harder with 2. I'm ready for pregnancy to be over but also hoping he's late like DD. 
    We almost did. We moved beginning of May. My pelvis was hurting so much. I wasn't even carrying much of anything - just packing and cleaning. And we also moved at the beginning of this pregnancy in late October. I was so sick during that one! The morning sickness started right during the last furry of packing the day before we were set to leave. Not fun. 
  • Options
    I personally did not have any issues with nausea, but I suppose you could easily ask for zofran if that's the case. FTR, I was given penicillin as my antibiotic, not sure if that's standard. 
    I had penicillin as well.  I didn't have any nausea and it usually upsets my stomach.
  • Options
    @Stankonia2014 @CurlyMommy416 Thanks for putting my mind at ease. How are your little guys doing?!
  • Options
    @Praying41 We were supposed to move when I was still pregnant but ended up moving when the baby was 10 days old. I think either way it's hard. With the newborn it was easy enough to leave her in the Rock n Play and get things done, but I had a hard time taking it easy on my healing body when I felt like getting things done but really needed to rest. The move was hardest on my 21 month old because she had already gone through the transition of the new baby and then had to transition to a new home. My best advice on that is if you have people who can watch your toddler, let them. It was much easier to move her stuff when she was out with her grandparents and not standing in the room yelling "Oh no! Oh no! Oh no!". I made it a priority to set up the kids' bedrooms and the play room first and told myself that there's no timeline for setting up the rest of the house. Good luck! 
  • Options
    @Praying41 We were supposed to move when I was still pregnant but ended up moving when the baby was 10 days old. I think either way it's hard. With the newborn it was easy enough to leave her in the Rock n Play and get things done, but I had a hard time taking it easy on my healing body when I felt like getting things done but really needed to rest. The move was hardest on my 21 month old because she had already gone through the transition of the new baby and then had to transition to a new home. My best advice on that is if you have people who can watch your toddler, let them. It was much easier to move her stuff when she was out with her grandparents and not standing in the room yelling "Oh no! Oh no! Oh no!". I made it a priority to set up the kids' bedrooms and the play room first and told myself that there's no timeline for setting up the rest of the house. Good luck! 
    Thanks. That's good to know. I figured it'd be tough either way but knowing someone's experience helps. I'm hoping the impact of a move and a baby brother all at once won't affect her too much. Luckily I have a lot of family near the new home and she's in daycare 2 times a week which should help free me up. 
  • Options
    Praying41 said:
    We almost did. We moved beginning of May. My pelvis was hurting so much. I wasn't even carrying much of anything - just packing and cleaning. And we also moved at the beginning of this pregnancy in late October. I was so sick during that one! The morning sickness started right during the last furry of packing the day before we were set to leave. Not fun. 
    I can't imagine dealing with the first trimester plus a move. Yikes! Last time we moved I was in the 2nd trimester with my daugther and was in the phase where I had tons of energy and felt really good. Now I'm just exhausted. My back is killing me from the all the up and down and back and forth of packing. But I'm not lifting anything heavy so hoping that will keep me from going into labor early. Not that 39 weeks is early. Ha!
  • Options
    With dd we moved in the 2nd tri and it was totally fine, but we didn't have much because we were poor kids moving into a studio and dh and all his brothers didn't let me do much. Lol when we moved out it was harder because she was 8 months old and wiggly and crawling, that's when I learned how to use my ergo on my back and nursing in it. That was an emergency move so we were in survival mode. I found black mold in our bathroom and moved out about an hour later! 
    We moved at 5 weeks with my first that I ended up miscarrying, that was so tough!! People were helping and we were trying to keep it a secret so I had to pretend to move boxes more than I really was. It was super stressful and I was crazy exhausted. 
    Now there is a possibility of moving to a major fixer upper this summer and I'm scared to take that on with a newborn, but it would be fun at the same time. 
    Moving with kids is never easy!! 
  • Options
    With dd we moved in the 2nd tri and it was totally fine, but we didn't have much because we were poor kids moving into a studio and dh and all his brothers didn't let me do much. Lol when we moved out it was harder because she was 8 months old and wiggly and crawling, that's when I learned how to use my ergo on my back and nursing in it. That was an emergency move so we were in survival mode. I found black mold in our bathroom and moved out about an hour later! 
    We moved at 5 weeks with my first that I ended up miscarrying, that was so tough!! People were helping and we were trying to keep it a secret so I had to pretend to move boxes more than I really was. It was super stressful and I was crazy exhausted. 
    Now there is a possibility of moving to a major fixer upper this summer and I'm scared to take that on with a newborn, but it would be fun at the same time. 
    Wow that's rough. So sorry you had to go through that! 
    Would you be living in the fixer upper while fixing it? Not sure I could handle that. At least with the work DH is doing on the house I don't have to be there in the middle of the mess. We will be redoing the entire kitchen but decided to wait until DH is a little older before we start that project. Probably sometime next year. 
  • Options
    Praying41 said:
    Wow that's rough. So sorry you had to go through that! 
    Would you be living in the fixer upper while fixing it? Not sure I could handle that. At least with the work DH is doing on the house I don't have to be there in the middle of the mess. We will be redoing the entire kitchen but decided to wait until DH is a little older before we start that project. Probably sometime next year. 
    Yup. Luckily it's not unhealthy or unsafe, except for one bathroom which it looks like someone had a temper tantrum holding a hammer in it. It's mostly just really old and ugly. It's a multi house property we would be going in on with dhs family and we would get the best house so we would be focusing on the inlaws house first. It would definitely be crazy, but we can only afford a dump and our family is all in construction so it makes sense for us to buy dumps. Ha ha 

the kitchen is one you really need! I would have a hard time with that too. This one we would live with the ugly kitchen for a few years. I don't think I could handle that with a new baby either! 
  • Options
    @Stankonia2014 @CurlyMommy416 Thanks for putting my mind at ease. How are your little guys doing?!
    He's doing great, thanks for asking :)  Hope you feel better about getting the antibiotics, you'll do great!
  • Options
    Hey! Went to brother's new house, celebrated Mom's b-day, and even stayed the night 2 hours away and I did not go I to labor!!! Mother's intuition +1 DH freakout -1 muahahahaha
    So glad it all worked out for you and you didn't have to miss out on some fun before baby comes.