November 2017 Moms
Options

Sh*t People Say to Pregnant Women

167891012»

Re: Sh*t People Say to Pregnant Women

• Options
    Thanks! The doctors and nurses were actually very nice. I just felt like there was a lot of waiting without much information being given. There seemed to be only two residents on staff and I never even saw the head ob on staff. But everyone was perfectly kind. I just wish there was more time taken from the beginning to communicate.
  • Options
    Why do people feel the need to ask dumb questions...we found out the gender today (but haven't revealed yet) and the nurse asked if I knew - the u/s and Dr visits are in different centers, and when I said yes and what it was she asked if I was excited. Um what? And then I was out shopping and a nice older lady came over and asked when I was due, blah blah, body image bs that has annoyed me from day 1, and then goes do you kno yet? Yes I do. Is it what you wanted? Again....what?! Um I wanted a healthy baby and that is what I'm getting, idc if it has a penis or not! What if I said I wasn't happy or it wasn't what I wanted...how awkward would that conversation be
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    And why do women who have had children not understand when I tell them how far along I am in weeks, and insist on converting to months, and then always do the math wrong? This has happened several times. I guess before I became pregnant I didn't understand how gestation was measured in weeks, but if you've already been through it, how do you not get it? And 22 weeks is 5 and a half months. Not 4. People don't know how to multiply. 

Also strangers keep asking "how many?" And I keep saying "two" meaning two babies. 
  • Options
    ineedsixeggsineedsixeggs member
    edited July 2017
    @bklynchica Yes. I hate when people want the months conversion too, and women with children should definitely understand weeks and not even ask. 

But technically just dividing by 4 isn't accurate because that's only 28 days/month, and pregnancy (40 weeks) is not 10 months long. 

So instead of doing the messy math of dividing weeks by 4.3, I usually just give months based on day of the month. I'm 22 weeks now, 5 months tomorrow (due on the 9th). 
  • Options
    @cwalker042 i don't know what it is about baby bumps that makes people lose their mind and manners. Let's take it back to Kindergarten lady and keep your hands to yourself! 
  • Options
    @cwalker042 whoa! That is not cool. I can't believe she would continue after hearing you say you didn't like it when people touched your belly!
  • Options
    We had a baby last July. We told some friends that we're expecting again (they'll be 16 months apart). He didn't believe us and was like oh no way you're joking that's way too soon you know there's ways to prevent that. He went on and on about how ridiculous it'd be if we were pregnant. Um, no we're serious. I hope he felt really stupid!! 
  • Options
    After a tiring morning of wrangling my boys around and a not good nights sleep, I am aware that I look like hell, Lady. I do NOT need you to look at my boys, then my bump and go "Was that one an accident?" How dare you.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @ariasbabyblog are you kidding me? Wth? Awful people.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    "I hope you're not going to drop that baby right here in the elevator" - airline employee at DCA last week when I had to take a back elevator because I couldn't carry my luggage up their stairs. I am 6 months and measuring on track, I hardly think I look like I'm about to give birth. (although to be fair I am short and have an even shorter torso but still)
    Pregnancy Ticker  
  • Options
    Abby7 said:
    "I hope you're not going to drop that baby right here in the elevator" - airline employee at DCA last week when I had to take a back elevator because I couldn't carry my luggage up their stairs. I am 6 months and measuring on track, I hardly think I look like I'm about to give birth. (although to be fair I am short and have an even shorter torso but still)
    What?? I would have complained. That's totally not ok to say. Ugh people. 
  • Options
    Abby7 said:
    What?? I would have complained. That's totally not ok to say. Ugh people. 
    It's not OK...but I wasn't going to get her in trouble at work, she seemed like she was actually a nice person but just clueless about what you can and can't say to a customer (she chatted me up afterwards in the elevator). It just made me feel HUGE and self-conscious because she was clearly being overly honest so I knew I must look kinda big. Also, someone at my nail salon a day or two before had asked if the baby was coming soon - a more sensitive remark but it still made me feel like I must be pretty big.
    Pregnancy Ticker  
  • Options
    @abby7 ugh people have been making comments to me about my size and I'm right on track. However, I also have a short torso so I. think it seems more pronounced

Pregnancy Ticker