May 2017 Moms
Options

Baby Bryson's Birth Story

TLDR: Bryson was born on 4/29 at 12:59 am after 11 hours of labor and less than 10 minutes of pushing. He was 20 in long and weighed 8 lbs 6.5 oz.

Very long story: On Thursday evening I started having some lower back pain that radiated to my hips. Nothing intense but definitely different so I mentioned it to DH and made sure we had care for our kids lined up in case I went into labor before my mom could get here on Saturday. On Friday I was driving with the kids when I got my first contraction just before 2 pm. It didn't last long but I immediately pulled out my phone and started timing just in case another came. Sure enough, the next one was 7 minutes later and then I had two more, 6 minutes apart. I called DH to alert him but told him to stay at work for the time being (his commute is 5 minutes). From then on I continued to have contractions but they became pretty irregular with most being 6-8 minutes apart but occasionally I'd have some as far apart as 15-20 minutes. I called my brother to let him know I was in the beginning stages of labor since he would watch our kids that evening and we just waited. 

I continued to have inconsistent contractions for several hours and we even went to dinner (a few blocks from our house) and made a quick trip to the grocery store. Contractions became 5-6 minutes apart consistently so we finally left for the hospital at 9 pm. When we got there they checked me and I was only 3 cm dilated and 70% effaced. At my appointment on Wednesday I had been 2 cm and 50% so that little progress after 7 hours of contractions was very disappointing. They were not going to admit us at that point so they called my doctor and told me to walk for an hour and then they would make a decision. So off I went from 10-11 pm. As the end of the hour got closer, so did my contractions (3-4 minutes) and they also became more intense. I went back to our room and waited for the nurse to check me but she was busy and it was 11:45 pm before she checked. Almost 5 cm. So they admitted us and got an IV going. Contractions were 2-3 minutes apart by then.

They asked me if I wanted the epidural and I said yes but not yet. I wanted to make a little bit more progress before they inserted it simply because in the past the epidural had slowed down my labor. The nurse warned me right then that she would need 15-20 minutes to get a bag of fluids into me and get some blood work results before I could get the epidural so to let her know once I wanted it. I should have listened! About 15 minutes later at 12:17 am my bag of waters broke while I was standing next to the bed breathing through a contraction. I called the nurse but she was busy and it took a couple more contractions and more water leaking out before she came in. I told her I wanted the epidural and she checked me (6 cm) and got me hooked to the IV. 12:25 am. At 12:45 am the bag of fluids had emptied and she had the blood work results so she called for the anesthesiologist. She and DH tried to get me to sit down on the bed to prepare for the epidural and I just couldn't do it; it was too painful, so laid me back down on the bed. 

As the anesthesiologist walked into the room at 12:50 am, I told them all I felt the need to push. They said to wait and the nurse checked me... 9 cm. I asked if I could get the epidural (haha!) and they said if I could sit still for 5-10 minutes I could (haha again!). I said there was no way and that I needed to push right then. They said to wait, I said I couldn't and I started pushing. My doctor wasn't at the hospital yet so the staff doctor came in and at 12:59 am, Bryson was born. We were so unprepared for how quickly it all happened that I still had a regular bra on and my gown was fully tied so when the baby came out, they had to put him on my gowned chest and it was a little while before I could undo it and remove my bra to do skin to skin. I never planned for an unmedicated birth but I guess this third baby was going to do things his own way!

So far things are going well. We had a little bit of trouble with painful latches yesterday while breastfeeding but the LC came to see us this morning and corrected our latch. Now I just need my nipples to heal some but other than that we've had no problems. Bryson is sleeping and eating great and we already had our first night of cluster feeding. I'm hoping my milk comes in soon because this baby is HUNGRY! The older kids come to meet him tonight! I've missed them and can't wait to see them and I'm sure they will love their new baby. They've seen pictures and seem excited!

Thanks for reading! 
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Me: 38 DH: 36
Married 8/27/2011
BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

Re: Baby Bryson's Birth Story