October 2017 Moms
Options

Silly Questions Thread (ask a STM+) 4/20

Re: Silly Questions Thread (ask a STM+) 4/20

• Options
    Truth. I'm sitting here wishing people would have bought DD size 4T and 5T things...jk, kind of. She grew so fast. I tried to make sure she wore all of the newborn size things at least once, and tried to take a picture if it was a "Special" outfit, but I don't even know if that happened TBH.

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    VLillyV said:
    Has anyone had their MIL, aka Grandma watch their baby for them after maternity leave? Or, does anyone know of someone who did? Could you share your experience, suggestions, etc.? Starting to back pedal on my original idea of MIL watching my child.
    The person who has babysat my son the most is my sister. When he was 8 months my husband and I went away for four days and we agreed that although both mothers would love to have him it wasn't really about them.  It was about my comfort level and what would be most comfortable for her son. At that point he was the most familiar with my sister and I trust my sister more than anyone so that's what we did and they just had to deal with it. Since then he has had a sleepover twice at my moms but has not been  babysat for more than two hours with my in-laws. My own mother is great she's just a little distracted and doesn't pay quite as much attention. My sister has children who are five and seven she is extremely In tune  with the way that my household runs and how I do things with my son, his schedule etc. she also looks exactly like me and her voice sounds exactly like mine so when he was really little I knew that this would be comforting. My in-laws live two hours away and although they spend a lot of time with my other nieces they really don't see myself very often so my main concern is that he is simply not as comfortable with them and doesn't know them very well. And although they are great with babies and little ones they are really not aware of how his day usually flows, what to do to put him down for his nap and what my mothering style is, how I do things etc.   For example, I was just there on the weekend and my father-in-law was out on the driveway with my son and wasn't really watching him as closely as I would have liked and when I came outside to see what was going on I realize that my son had a big stone in his mouth. My father-in-law simply assumed that now that he is 18 months old and is walking around like a little boy that he must be over the face of trying to eat everything, choking hazards etc.unfortunately my son is not really past this phase and will attempt to put branches stones, sidewalk chalk etc. in his mouth. So that's kind of what I mean when I say that they aren't really in tune with him.Obviously if they were to have him for a weekend or a night I would give her a very detailed list of instructions and tips but so far I have really haven't been comfortable to leave him at their house two hours away from us as of yet. 
  • Options
    We did pretty much the same as @curlyq423 except I was sleeping on the couch in the living room. It was easier for me to lay down and get up off of the couch than our bed after having a csection. Once we transitioned DS to the crib around 8 weeks, I was right across the hall in our bed. 
  • Options
    @soprano19 DD slept in the bassinet next to my bed for probably 3 months or so. It was just so much easier to grab her for middle of the night feedings than walking to her room in the middle of the night.

• Options
    With each of our first two, we had them in a rock and play next to the bed for 10-12 weeks, and then moved them to a crib in their own rooms around then.  DH built a platform beside our bed to raise it up so I could reach the baby without having to get out of bed... it was awesome!   No idea what we're going to do with twins this time though!

• Options
    We had DS in our room in a pack n play or the rock n play until about 12 weeks and then moved him into his crib in his nursery.  I suspect well try and do similar since it seemed to work well for all of us but who knows how this next one will be
    TTC x 1.5 years.
    Acupuncture, Femera x3 cyles, and HSG.
    BFP in September 2014, DS born June 2015.
    TTC x2 months.
    BFP January 2017.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DS slept in a PNP in our room for 6 weeks or so. Then, we transitioned him to his room, but his sleep was so terrible, I ended up cosleeping with him in his room until he was about 5 months old. 
  • Options
    Would any STMs mind sharing their experience with baby's room on a different level of the house from you?  Did it delay when you moved baby out of your room?
    me . early 30's | h . mid 30's | < 3 . 2013

ntnp #2 . summer 2018

*siggy warning*

ttc#1 . jul 2015
    mmc . mar 2016 | 6w2d
    dx PCOS (non-IR) / subclinical hypothyroidism . summer 2016
    tx metformin, levothyroxine, LP progesterone, femara + trigger + ti . fall/winter 2016
    BFP! . jan 2017
    DD . oct 2017

• Options
    @dumbledoredies I used this during my first and am using it again. Genetics plays a role and there is only so much you can do but I'm fighting for sure! The boob cream helps with soreness too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CFS8YFI/ref=mp_s_a_1_9_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1492979195&sr=8-9&keywords=mustela

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @dumbledoredies I alternated between using Burts Bees belly butter and Palmers. I didn't get any stretch marks, but I'm a believer in the genetics things too. I just figured since I use lotion every day anyway, might as well get something for the belly. Both are affordable in my opinion.

• Options
    soprano19 said:
    Here's a question: what were the sleeping arrangements for your newborn? Did they sleep in your room, and if so, did you use a bassinet/co-sleeper/swing? Or did you put baby in their own room right away?

We had a bassinet set up in our room and a cot in the nursery. The reality was DS slept in my arms and we coslept until he was 15months.  For his first year I had to wear him for naps or he would nap in the pram or in the car. For LO, we plan on setting up a whole separate nursery for me and LO with a queen/double bed as well as a bassinet. There were too many nights when I had to sleep on the couch with DS because I felt bad for my DH who had to get up in the mornings to go to work. I ain't doing that again!

**June Siggy Challenge: You Had ONE Job!**

LO#2 EDD October 18th 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    soprano19 said:
    Here's a question: what were the sleeping arrangements for your newborn? Did they sleep in your room, and if so, did you use a bassinet/co-sleeper/swing? Or did you put baby in their own room right away?
    We had our son in a bassinet in our room for 2 months and then he went in his crib. We. Ever did any co sleeping.I kinda wanted to move him to crib while he was really little so he didn't really have to be aware of the transition. It was more for my comfort anyway:)
  • Options
    We did what most others said.  She was in our room for 7 weeks and moved to her crib..mostly bc I had to go back to work at 8 weeks and I needed good sleep.  The transition was no issue and she slept amazing in her crib.  We'll do the same with this babe. I enjoy sleep too much to ever co sleep!!
  • Options
    DD was in our room in a bassinet/cradle for about 5 mos., which is what we plan to do with this LO. However, I have friends who have had baby in their own nursery since day 1, and that worked fine for them too.

i don't personally have experience with baby's room being on a different level, but I would think that would extend the time you'll have baby in your room. At least while baby is waking up to feed in the middle of the night, you're going to want them to be easily accessible to you.
    October 2017 June Siggy Challenge -- "You Had One Job!" 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    SaveSave
  • Options
    Any STM use the Leacho Back N Belly Chic pregnancy pillow? I would upload a pic but we know why I can't :) after last night I'm needing something and I had a friend refer this pillow. Is it worth the money and does it take up the entire bed? 
  • Options
    We don't have the room to put a PNP or even a bassinet in our bedroom so I foresee LO sleeping in their crib from day one. Luckily the baby's room will literally be 5 steps away from out bedroom.  
    Me: 29  DH: 32                                                                                          
    Married 9/27/2014
    TTC Since 1/1/2017
    BFP: 2/6/2017
    Due Date: 10/13/17
    pangur_ban_by_sequana-d31ja7y
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    soprano19 said:
    We had a PNP with a bassinet attachment. He slept in it until he hit his 4 months sleep regression and then we bed-shared until he was a little over 12 months. I was nursing so it was just easier to have him close. 
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • Options
    @JessDG re: baby clothes. We seem to always be in need of pajamas. We get TONS of hand-me-down clothes but PJs get well worn. Probaby 75%+ of the clothes we have had to buy have been PJs.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • Options
    Do we need to get additional car seat head support to go with the infant car seat?

• Options
    Do we need to get additional car seat head support to go with the infant car seat?

Nothing that is attached to the carseat, as that voids the liability on the manufacturer if you were to get into an accident.  This was my biggest learning curve as everyone I saw had stuff attached to their carseats.

It is suggested that you take a receiving blanket and roll it up and place around babies head to support them.

• Options
    jessafishyjessafishy member
    edited April 2017
    @bluejeanbabi05 Yes, what @mrs_fogue said!

Nothing after market in the car seat that will interfere during an accident. So, no fuzzy car seat covers unless they don't go under baby.

ETA: I had a Jolly Jumper cover. They have a version with an attached blanket that sits over baby if you are worried about them being cold but the one without a blanket was sufficient for us!
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • Options
    @jessafishy what do you think about the Britax mirror that connects to the backseat headrest? I've read that they can be a hazard but also that if they're shatterproof and soft and mounted correctly they're ok. I know mirrors have been a lifesaver for a lot of my family/friends.

• Options
    @bluejeanbabi05 I think that's up to you. Really you aren't "supposed" to give them anything to even hold while in the car and that's just not realistic. We had a mirror for awhile and it was nice, but on long trips I just sat in the backseat with DS anyway so it wasn't super necessary.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • Options
    @bluejeanbabi05 I think that's up to you. Really you aren't "supposed" to give them anything to even hold while in the car and that's just not realistic. We had a mirror for awhile and it was nice, but on long trips I just sat in the backseat with DS anyway so it wasn't super necessary.
    This is something I worry about, lol. I get carsick. Guess I'm going to have to get over that!  :D

• Options
    @bluejeanbabi05 Honestly, it's totally up to you. It made me feel better to sit in the back and I don't have carsickness issues. It was also more comfortable with the rear facing seat behind the passenger.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • Options
    @jessafishy what do you think about the Britax mirror that connects to the backseat headrest? I've read that they can be a hazard but also that if they're shatterproof and soft and mounted correctly they're ok. I know mirrors have been a lifesaver for a lot of my family/friends.
    I just wanted to put this out there. We had a britax shatterproof mirror. It shattered. It could have been a defect but in the case of an accident the car seat actually goes back towards the seat (where the mirror would be).

• Options
    We don't have room for me to sit in the back, so we had a mirror. I can't think of the brand though. It was so amazing to have, we didn't have one with our first two and I was always worried while driving that they were choking vs just coughing, wanted to know if they were just being super quiet or sleeping, etc. I definitely plan to use it again for this one
  • Options
    I used the Britax mirror that stuck to the rear window. Will do the same mirror thing with LO2. You will get paranoid about breathing etc if you can't have a visual at all times.

**June Siggy Challenge: You Had ONE Job!**

LO#2 EDD October 18th 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Would any STMs mind sharing their experience with baby's room on a different level of the house from you?  Did it delay when you moved baby out of your room?
    We had the twins' nursery on the upper level of our house.  We had preemie issues as well, but we kept them in our room until 9 months.  There is no way I would have survived going upstairs in the middle of the night to nurse them.  Preemies and twins make it a little different sure, but I think we would have kept even a single full-term baby in our bedroom for much longer than other parents are saying.  
    *Siggy warning - loss mentioned*
    Preemie ID DDs; then DS; then natural M/C; now due 10/17
    High risk for pre-term: weekly Makena injections
  • Options
    @virginiaham
    My girls room was never on a different level, but because I breastfed, I kept my girls in our room until abour 6 months for DD1 , and 8 months for DD2 (because she would have moved in same room with DD1 so we prolonged it slightly). This baby will probably be in our room about 4-6 months. As soon as STTN happens. Its just so easy to dream feed and nurse back to bed without having to actually get up. Sorry that doesnt answer your different floor question, but hope it helps with determining time in your room with another aspect to think about.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Oct. '17 June S.C. "You Had 1 Job"

• Options
    What's lightening crotch? @jessafishy
    **April Siggy Challenge**Baby Animals**

Pregnancy Ticker