October 2017 Moms

POTD: Vaccinations

Re: POTD: Vaccinations

• Don't have much to add that hasn't already been said! Definitely vaccinating! I'm even wearing my I believe in science unicorn shirt today :smiley:

Me.30 DH.31 
    Est.8.2006
    BFP 8/28/15 mmc @ 11 weeks (d&c)
    BFP 9/28/16 mmc @ 8 weeks (d&c) - trisomy 5
    BFP 2/3/17...edd 10/13/17 <3

• Loading the player...
  • My sister in law does delayed scheduling because her hubby is severely allergic to a lot of medications and was allergic to some vaccines when he was a kid. They are just doing it slowly to keep any eye out for that. 
    We vaccine all our kiddos on time
  • I'm a delayed scheduler here. I love vaccines, all the vaccines. The babies are so tiny though. Plus vac no vac seems so political these days that I find it harder and harder to trust research and claims on either side, because anyone with a stance seems so fired up about it, you wonder how many studies have a bias. 
  • @bluejeanbabi05
    You hit the nail on the head. Don't worry I hate stupid blog post that think they know things. The most frustrating thing is that we don't have access to the studies that we want to see. My husband and I love to feel educated and we feel like we are in the partially in the dark on vaccines. We like our doctor, while he is certainly not pro delayed schedule have been able to work with him to pick our schedule. Which we honestly only switch 3 or 4 and at 18 months he was completely up to date, so nothing extreme here.
  • Definitely pro-vax, but know a few people personally that are strongly against it. I have only seen one of them become aggressive when speaking on the subject though (besides on TB in the past, these threads can get juicy). I do for the most part eat as much organic/non-gmo as possible(I know that doesn't relate but I saw it up in the thread).
    Me: 31 DH:35
    TTC #1: March 2011 
    Fur-children: 3 dogs + 2 cats (all rescued)
    dx: Endometriosis and Fibroids 
    2 Laps and 1 Abdominal Myomectomy
    6 rounds of clomid
    5 rounds of iui
    IVF #1 Gonal F, Menopur and Cetrotide
    ER 12/1/2016:Retrieved 22 eggs 12 fertilized, developed moderate OHSS
    4/4 day 5 embryos were normal for PGS!!! 2 boys/2 girls
    FET 1/10/2017  
    Gallbladder surgery 1/10/2017
    FET 2/2
    BFP 2/7/17 <3 Beta#1: 594!!! Beta#2 1630!!!
    Having a girl! EDD 10/21/17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • **SNIP**

I recommend that when you (and anyone) do research these things, look at the actual original experiment/research paper, and not just articles discussing it. The original will contain things like number of participants, method, raw data/results, etc. And you can interpret the results how you think they should be interpreted, without someone else's words slanting them. 

**SNIP**

Stuck in a box:  I wish the statistics in the original were truly unbiased, stats wizards have a way of making the data/results support certain conclusions... it's frustrating!
    TTC x 1.5 years.
    Acupuncture, Femera x3 cyles, and HSG.
    BFP in September 2014, DS born June 2015.
    TTC x2 months.
    BFP January 2017.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Sparklelily - so my argument on delayed scheduling when people say "babies are so little" is that there were more proteins found in one smallpox vaccine than there are in the entire childhood vaccine schedule now, they can vaccinate for more diseases with less antigens given to mount the immune response. So while it seems like a lot of shots (and honestly the only one that was really hard for me both times was the 1 year vaccines where there are like 4 injections), the majority of them are combo vaccines and really not "too much". It's bothering you more than it's bothering them. Like I said previously, as long as you're actually vaccinating I don't really care how/when you do it but I prefer to follow the schedule and you're really just making it harder on yourself spreading them out. But, just something to think about..

• erink7211 said:
    We are all about vaccinating but I am legitimately curious about the reasonings for those who don't (other than the Autism "argument"). My SIL/BIL are anti-Vax but they say it's because they're unnatural and not what God intended. That our bodies already have what they need to fight off sicknesses. Because of this they also don't take medications- whether OTC or prescription. 

However two things:
    1) They would go through chemo if they were diagnosed with cancer
    2) She (SIL) opted to induce both of her kids a week early for absolutely no reason other than she couldn't wait. 

I guess I'm just curious if anyone who holds a similar view could help me understand how someone can pick and choose what is natural vs. what isn't?
    Yeah I don't get the "natural is best" peeps that pick and choose.  I have an acquaintance who goes on and on about natural this and natural that and "putting that crap in your bodies is SO toxic" while standing there with her fake hair and her fake nails and fake boobs and chain smoking while pregnant.  Her baby won't get vaccines, but probably WILL get lung cancer from second hand smoke by the time he's three...makes no sense at all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ac1259 That makes me feel much better about this next baby, who we more than likely will follow the schedule for. So maybe I should explain before I get labeled a crazy. I probably don't even qualify for a delayed vaccer. We were on schedule up until the one year shots. My son has been a precocious talker since nine months old. At 10 months old he had a 25 word spoken vocabulary. By 11 months he had lost all but three words and stopped signing and waving goodbye. At his 12 month appointment nothing had changed. Being a speech therapist and having the line "regression is never normal" drilled into my head, I was panicking. All I knew is that I didn't want anything done to him until we figured out what was going on or he went back to normal. By 18 months his language and social skills were flourishing again and we got his shots that we missed 6 months earlier. I still stand by what I originally said about hating feeling like I'm in the dark about vaccines. 
  • We will vaccinate. 
    Me: 31 DH: 35
    Married since 05.16.2009
    Expecting #1: 10.10.2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hey ladies! Just thought I would throw out the ingredients list published my the CDC. It is quite interesting what is actually in vaccines. 

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/additives.htm

If anyone is Kosher, many vaccines are actually considered "unclean". Fun fact! 
  • @clanbuchanan15 So you aren't vaccinating?
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • KSweetKSweet member
    edited April 2017
    We do selective vaccines on a delayed schedule. I breastfeed and we homeschool (no daycare) so I feel like there's not as great a need to get all of the vaccines done, we don't do them before one year, and we only do one at a time. I won't do vaccines like HPV or hepatitis, though I will encourage them to get the hepatitis one when they're older. 
  • womp womp womppp. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Hey ladies! Just thought I would throw out the ingredients list published my the CDC. It is quite interesting what is actually in vaccines. 

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/additives.htm

If anyone is Kosher, many vaccines are actually considered "unclean". Fun fact!
    STUCK IN A BOX BUT THANK YOUUUUU!

Finally a level headed person on this board!
  • We are absolutely following the recommended schedule for all vaccines. The only time we strayed from this for DS is when he was sick at 12 months, so we went back 2 weeks later. I believe that vaccines are important for my children's well being and it's our responsibility to ensure that we are doing our part in protecting those that can't vaccinate due to age or health issues. 
    We were also very adamant about our families having their tdap booster before seeing DS when he was a newborn.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • For me personally, I choose not to use any vaccines that use monkey tissue or fetal tissue (assuming the fetal tissue is acquired by abortions). All other arguments aside, I don't want to inject my body with these specific ingredients for religious reasons. 

I am not a Jew but I do keep the food laws recorded in the old testament. Not even bacon @virginiaham :) although beef bacon is like my top favorite food in the whole world! :) 
    I hope that answers your questions without causing offense