October 2017 Moms

POTD: Vaccinations

edited April 2017 in October 2017 Moms
Don't hate me for stealing your poll thunder @carries2018! I love you.

Let's all get a little more cozy. Where do you stand on vaccinations? Discuss your answer after answering the poll. We want to hear all opinions, we're a completely non-judgmental group here. 

POTD: Vaccinations 147 votes

Yes, I'm vaccinating!
80% 118 votes
Yes, but on a delayed schedule.
6% 10 votes
Yes, but selectively; I don't think all the recommended vaccines are necessary.
3% 5 votes
No, because vaccines are dangerous and unnecessary.
2% 3 votes
No, because of
0% 1 vote
Jenny McCarthy is my spirit animal.
6% 10 votes
SS
0% 0 votes

Re: POTD: Vaccinations

• Loading the player...
  • canonmom413canonmom413 member
    edited April 2017
    i agree with @VLillyV,  I still am weary about the HPV vaccines. We will not be doing that one. It's a sexual transmitted disease, no reason my 10 year old should be getting that shot. Target age is 9-11. 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Oct. '17 June S.C. "You Had 1 Job"

• @canonmom413 *waves* seeee, someone else understands! Plus, there's a big difference between a Polio vaccine and an STD vaccine. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm curious to see what people's thoughts are on "elective" vaccines like the flu shot. I never got the flu shot until I was pregnant. I don't plan to continue getting it myself every year. However, DD had the flu when she was 5.5 months (literally two weeks before her 6 month appt. where she was set to get the shot) and it was HELL. So, she and this LO will be getting it for the foreseeable future. 
    October 2017 June Siggy Challenge -- "You Had One Job!" 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    SaveSave
  • shan24shan24 member
    edited April 2017
    @ForwardnBackward my niece just had pertussis. She's 11 and fully vaccinated but due for a booster.  The docs think that her immunity was low because of needing the booster (given at 12 here).  Because my other niece has cold symptoms, they decided to treat her proactively. The whole family was quarantined for two weeks, until they had completed their round of meds. The girls lost out on two weeks of school and my sister had to take two weeks off work. 

My niece's best friend is unvaccinated. When my sister told the girl's parents, their reaction was basically to shrug and say "oh well"
  • @beezeemarie I've never gotten the flu shot before, mostly because I'm lazy. LO will be, though. Should we be getting one now that we're KU? Or in the fall?

• jessirh said:
    Okay, I'll play :p Yes, I'm absolutely vaccinating my child. I don't want him or her to get measles, polio, rubella, and the numerous other diseases that are now preventable. Plus, if I vaccinate my child, I reduce the risk for those children who are unable to vaccinate due to compromised immune systems. It's a public health concern, not just for my child, but for others as well. :) 

The only paper that claimed to prove vaccinations caused autism has since been refuted, and numerous other research studies since that time have continued to not find any evidence of a causal link. Furthermore, even if they did cause autism (which they don't), I'd rather have the small chance of my child developing autism compared to the chance of him/her dying from a preventable disease. I know people have strong opinions about this issue, but it is one that is actually well-researched and backed by science. 
    This 100%! This topic always strikes a nerve with me and I take huge issue with parents who act like their choice not to vaccinate only affects their child.  What about the other children who can't?  I know there are a few families I will not be taking my infant around till he/she can be fully vaccinated.  @VLillyV I agree with being cautious about Guardisil, I think there have been many problems associated with that vaccine.  I also wish we weren't vaccinating against chicken pox.   Both of my children have been vaccinated for it at our pediatrician's recommendation, but it really is so mild in young kids and now our kids can get shingles when they are older anyway.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @bluejeanbabi05 at my first OB appointment (which was very early march, I think), my doctor recommended getting it because we were still in "flu season." I have no idea if that's over yet or not, lol. They will also likely do it in the fall, assuming that the vaccine is out before our LOs get here. Last time, mine also gave me the TDAP booster at some point during 3rd tri for the sole purpose of passing some immunities on to DD.
    October 2017 June Siggy Challenge -- "You Had One Job!" 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    SaveSave
  • @beezeemarie I have never had the flu shot but once and it was also the first year I ever got the flu. Because of that I swore them off for myself but still made sure DS had his. 

But then I had the flu twice this year- both A and B. B nearly put me in the hospital as I was 9 weeks along and had fevers over 103 that wouldn't stay down. 

DS also got both flus this year (a day before me on each) and his symptoms were very mild compared to mine. I will undoubtedly get the flu shot for myself from now on even if there is only a slight chance of having milder symptoms!

• canonmom413canonmom413 member
    edited April 2017
    I will have to talk more with my OB about the HPV vaccine versus their pediatrician. I just didn't like how every single time I call to make an  appt, the recording while you wait for your answer to be called is forcing you to listen to their BS about it. and not  stating facts. I think my OB/GYN would be a better source. 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Oct. '17 June S.C. "You Had 1 Job"

• Re: Flu Shots

I never used to get one. My freshman year of college I got pneumonia and my doc recommended getting the flu vaccine (and maybe the pneumonia vaccine, is that a thing?) yearly. Of course me being 18 I was all like "Whatev" and didn't get one until I got pregnant with DS.

DS got his at 6 months and both myself and DH got one that year as well. I've gotten mine yearly (we have a free drive through clinic in my county) since. DH really needs to get one yearly as well as he works in a school district and brings whatever crud he encounters there home with him, but he didn't get his this year. 
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • @jessirh I absolutely respect your thoughts on it too. If the Guardasil vaccine would cover more strains of HPV, I would not be so off-put by it, but for now, I will remain on the "no" side of that one. Regardless, the other vaccines will definitely be in our arsenal. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I voted NO because vaccines are dangerous and unnecessary. Feed your babies a healthy diet, free of GMOs and everything will work itself out. Ive heard so many horror stories about vaccines and I'm just not willing to put my baby through that.

You can't see a newborn when you have a cold, why would you inject all those deadly viruses directly into their system?!
  • @shan24 I'm sorry to hear about your niece!  I slept in DS's nursery while he had it to make sure he didn't cough himself blue in the face or unconscious or cough till he vomited.
    TTC x 1.5 years.
    Acupuncture, Femera x3 cyles, and HSG.
    BFP in September 2014, DS born June 2015.
    TTC x2 months.
    BFP January 2017.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm interested on the take of HPV vaccines. I didn't get them because they just came out and I was like 15 so I didn't need them obviously. I'm definitely going to do more research on them if I find out I'm having a girl!