October 2017 Moms
Options

POTD: Vaccinations

Re: POTD: Vaccinations

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    First off, we vaccinate our kids and I find it irresponsible not to. Full disclosure though, I strongly believe that what is contained in vaccines can be harmful to your long-term health, as I believe this about all artificial preservatives, etc. BUT and I emphasize the "but", I feel the trade off is worth it when trying to prevent deadly diseases in my children

On a totally unrelated-to-vaccines note (because I don't believe that eating completely healthy is an appropriate substitute for vaccines), I have to agree with @Myelhsa regarding eating healthy and making a huge difference with your immune system. I say this because I have witnessed it, experienced it between myself and dh, and read so many others' experiences that make it next to impossible to ignore. Sure, not everyone will have perfect, amazing health because they eat perfectly and exercise like they should. But to dh and I, personally, the facts are hard to deny. Also, that being said, I am not a crunchy, all-organic and gmo-free eater. Because, life. And I'm lazy. And kids. 
  • Options
    @bluejeanbabi05 Wikipedia is your unbiased source?! Up until a few years ago you couldn't even use them as a credible source for term papers in school.

@kdeola We also don't have have the same diseases we had back then. My kids chances for getting polio aren't high enough for me to put it in her voluntary. Nope nope nope.

• Options
    We do all of the standard vaccines with 2 exceptions.  1)  We don't do the Hep B vaccine at birth, but wait a week and have it done at a newborn visit (reasoning for this is that some of the side effects/reactions could be hard to notice if baby hasn't shown you what their "normal" is, also I prefer to wait until nursing is established)  2)  We will not do HPV until/unless the research becomes a little bit more clear to support it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    sjohns08 said:

I have to agree with @Myelhsa regarding eating healthy and making a huge difference with your immune system. I say this because I have witnessed it, experienced it between myself and dh, and read so many others' experiences that make it next to impossible to ignore. Sure, not everyone will have perfect, amazing health because they eat perfectly and exercise like they should. But to dh and I, personally, the facts are hard to deny. Also, that being said, I am not a crunchy, all-organic and gmo-free eater. Because, life. And I'm lazy. And kids. 
    Thank you @sjohns08. We just spend too much time catering to big-pharma. Medicine can be good in very rare occasions, but on most occasions some TLC and a good diet will carry us so much further.
  • Options
    Absolutely vaccinating.  Not even a question.  I apparently need another MMR booster after I deliver and got a TDAP when my niece was born.  I like science.  
  • Options
    @purplestarz you wins the participation point, for sure.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    ksf13 said:
    Yes, because SCIENCE. 

You can talk science all you want, but I think the term you're looking for is "Science Fraud". And before you get on me about using an "unbiased source", check the end notes. Tons of medical references ending in .org.  Just because they support my stance doesn't make them any less factual. 

https://www.stopmandatoryvaccination.com/vaccine-dangers/
  • Options
    @migdala we had that PSA here too. It's awful, but that's the reality and some people just don't get it.  My MIL is also strangely against anything natural and is instead all about pills and running to the dr for every little thing. Yet refuses to get her boosters and is so lax about germs. It's maddening
  • Options
    We do the flu shot. This year, DS and I got it and SO did not.  Well, about a month ago, he came down with the flu. DS and I were fine. 
  • Options
    Also, DH and his siblings all are not vaccinated for pertussis because of a reaction when he was a baby and a recommendation from a doctor. I've even discussed it with our PCP because I'm the jerk who thinks his "reaction" wasn't actually legitimate (he was extra fussy for a day after the shot) and he could probably be vaccinated but our PCP doesn't think it's a good idea. So I can't say "you can't see my babies unless you're fully vaccinated" because then their dad and aunt and uncle wouldn't be allowed to see them. But I definitely support herd immunity because it keeps everyone in my family safe! 

• Options
    ksf13ksf13 member
    @KDeola I had chicken pox when I was 2 (before the vaccine was available, because my mom definitely would have given it to me). Apparently it was a very mild case and I'm so scared I'll get shingles! I would totally get the shingles vaccine, but you have to be older lol. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Well, like I said, I did have my kids vaccinated for chicken pox. I guess my personal experience made me say that because I wish I had it as a young child. I got it at 17 and was very very sick. 

To be clear to all worried about shingles, the vaccine won't protect our kids from that. Unfortunately, they can still get it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @kdeola - My youngest brother was vax'd for chicken pox. Never got it! I believe it's a two part vaccine, one initial, and one booster. He's perfectly fine and has not had chicken pox :) if it's any comfort, he was exposed to someone with Shingles and did not contract it.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    It is my understanding that the shingles virus is the same as the chickenpox virus, it reactivated in your system after laying dormant.  The first time you get the virus it presents itself as chickenpox.  As someone with shingles you can't give another person shingles, but you can give someone chickenpox.  If my kid never gets that, then they can't get shingles.  I asked a lot of questions by the time I had the stupid things the 3rd time.  
  • Options
    JessDG said:
    It is my understanding that the shingles virus is the same as the chickenpox virus, it reactivated in your system after laying dormant.  The first time you get the virus it presents itself as chickenpox.  As someone with shingles you can't give another person shingles, but you can give someone chickenpox.  If my kid never gets that, then they can't get shingles.  I asked a lot of questions by the time I had the stupid things the 3rd time.  
    From what I understand the vaccine does not prevent shingles later in life. Although it seems that it does reduce the chances of getting it so that's a plus. You are right that shingles comes from the dormant chicken pox virus but once they have the vaccine, they then have the dormant virus. Again, I'm very pro vaccine, but said I wasn't sure how much I felt this one was necessary. My kids got it because I trust my doctor and she recommends it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    we will be doing all vaccines except chicken pox. DH had the vaccine as a child and as soon as it expired(20 years i think) he got the chicken pox. Like down to the month it expired. No clue where he picked it up (most likely the gym). Having chicken pox as an adult was no joke. His fever got well above 102 a few times and the blisters covered his entire body. His. Entire. Body. and he was sick for over 2 weeks. I have had both chicken pox & shingles in my lifetime. The only thing I;ll be vaccinating this family for in regards to the chicken pox virus is shingles. I don't wish that on anyone. 
    \