September 2017 Moms
Options

Anatomy Scans

Re: Anatomy Scans

• Options
    @MrsVP614 It is quite possible that you saw something other than a penis. Ultrasounds can be harder to read than people think. I would continue to say that you don't know the sex and plan either way, but maybe make sure you have a boy's name picked out, just in case. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Sugargirl1019 @mrsmarygs @sarahufl @bridge-and-wall
    You're making me feel better ladies! It's silly to be upset over, because we'll be thrilled either way, but we will try to push what we thought we saw out of our heads and continue thinking it's a fun mystery! 
    Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • Options
    Man I feel so behind. I don't have an AS schedule yet. I am 17w4d and have an appointment next week. I anxious to see out lo and see everything is ok
  • Options
    I did some googling last night about low lying anterior placentas and made myself a little paranoid. Has anyone been told any issues with this? My OB didn't bring up anything and just said everything looks great! Do I need to be concerned if no other US is performed? 
  • Options
    @jessieR358 don't google about placenta anything, you'll only find worst case scenarios for previa. Since yours is low lying, there is a ridiculously high chance that it will move up and be of zero concern. Most doctors don't worry about it because it resolves quickly in the next few months. 
  • Options
    jena333-2jena333-2 member
    edited April 2017
    I did some googling last night about low lying anterior placentas and made myself a little paranoid. Has anyone been told any issues with this? My OB didn't bring up anything and just said everything looks great! Do I need to be concerned if no other US is performed? 
    Mine is low: 1.33cm from my cervix instead of the at least 2-3cm they "like" to see. I was 18+3 at my AS. Doctor said that as the uterus stretches it will usually pull the placenta up with it, so it will likely resolve itself. I got back in 3 weeks for another AS (they want a better look at his heart and spine) and they'll check on it then. 

Do you know how low, or did you Google yourself into worry (which I have done)? If they are not concerned, I would urge you to try not to be.

The only concerns (and "concerns") I've had is that we're on pelvic rest due to spotting/light bleeding (likely due to the low lying placenta), and if it stays low, I'll be delivering via c section.
  • Options
    @lilpoots @jena333-2
    yeah I usually don't google things, but I was like hmmm. My OB doesn't go over anything or give any measurements, which is fine. If it's normal it's normal. I just knew because the US tech told me. I did read they usually grow upwards, so I guess I won't worry! Thanks! 

• Options
    @lilpoots @jena333-2
    yeah I usually don't google things, but I was like hmmm. My OB doesn't go over anything or give any measurements, which is fine. If it's normal it's normal. I just knew because the US tech told me. I did read they usually grow upwards, so I guess I won't worry! Thanks! 

The uterus stretches upwards, usually pulling the placenta with it. If it is low lying, it isn't covering your cervix and covering the cervix is what's dangerous. Hopefully it never becomes a concern.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I had my ultrasound on Friday, I was 18+2. Baby did not cooperate. It would only move its arms and kicks its feet. I have to go back in 2 weeks. The tech gave us a guess at what she thought the baby was and she only got one shot at the parts and it's looking from head down, not from bottom up like most. She told us she was 95% sure Girl but she likes to get 98-99% and this shot could go either way. I'm happy I get to my baby again but I feel like I still don't know what I'm having. 
    Married since 8/18/2006
    ***** TTC #1 since July 2012
    **** BFP #1 10/23/12 Mabry Hart- Born 7/2/13
    ***** Surprise *****BFP #2 1/13/2017 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We had our AS this past Friday. Everything looked good, baby is still a girl. The only thing they couldn't see well was her spine, due to her positioning. She's currently folded completely in half, with both her hands and feet at her head. So they want to repeat that part of the scan at our 24 week appt. I'm not complaining about an extra opportunity to see my girl, but I am slightly nervous. We have prior US pics that clearly show her spine, and they never had any concerns before. And they said they didn't have any indication anything was wrong now, they just literally couldn't get a good look at it, so they didn't feel comfortable checking it off the list. 

She's also (still) breech. I know there's tons of time for her to flip, but she's been breech every time and it's starting to make me nervous. My daughter was head down from day one and never moved. My midwife gave me some old wives tales we could try to get her to flip, but said we won't worry about it until the 32-36 week mark. I'm anxious to try some things, but at the same time, I don't want her to flip too early -- because then she has lots of time to flip back! lol. 
  • Options
    @ohheyitskristine YAY! That's so great to hear! 
  • Options
    @ohheyitskristine this is fantastic news !!

• Options
    @IdleFancy I recommend taking down the shot proving your LO is a girl. Baby genital shots are not appropriate on the Internet ever.

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Options
    IdleFancy said:
    If anyone else was skeptical about that early Sneak Peek gender test, I'm happy to be your test case! We had our anatomy scan today at 18w4d, fully expecting to confirm that the wee one is a boy...only to find out she's definitely a girl. No boy parts in sight! I kept telling my family and friends that the boy results were much less accurate, due to possible contamination, but assumed it was probably right. After all, I'd thoroughly disinfected every surface, washed my hands with a fury, and have a medical background. Surely, *I* didn't contaminate the test:D

Never have I been so happy to be proven wrong. Hopefully we'll get our money back from the testing company, as they advertise, but I'm just excited that our little girl looks healthy and hearty so far. She was squirming like crazy, but the ultrasound tech even commented that she has "such a pretty heart." Yeah, I might be swooning with joy over here...

Yay for your girl!! 

Can you explain the bolded part to me? Why would incompletely disinfected be more prone to contaminate the results, but you wouldn't? Is it just that any stray Y genes will scream BOY result, even if they're statistically insignificant? 

I know with the Panorama test I did, a male result was even more likely to be correct than a female result due to pulling the fetal DNA directly from the mother's blood (eg any Y chromosomes must be fetal).
  • Options
    @jena333-2

i think she was being a tad bit sarcastic about how could she have had a contaminated surface? and it looks like she may have done an at home kit not one at the doctors. so if her husband's dna was on anything it could have messed it up. 
  • Options
    jena333-2jena333-2 member
    edited April 2017
    No I get that it was an at home kit. :) Rereading, I can see she means SHE couldn't have contributed any Y contamination (which would explain the sarcasm, haha).

I'm curious about how the lab quantifies their results (which could be in their pamphlet/website?), and how exacting and significant the percentage of Y chromosomes needs to be for them to say a male result. Of course, I assume they're just doing rapid PCR.

ETA: I was thinking more blanket contamination (eg bacteria, mold, dirt) not specifically Y chromosome contamination. Annnnd I officially​ see the world through my job.
  • Options
    Man I feel so behind. I don't have an AS schedule yet. I am 17w4d and have an appointment next week. I anxious to see out lo and see everything is ok
    No worries, my a/s isn't for another two weeks! We can have a late a/s party!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I just got a call back from the nurse. Everything looked good but they couldn't get a good view of the heart so they're referring me to get another ultrasound next week. It's with the high risk doctor in town - like all pregnant women who might be high risk also see him in addition to their regular OB and he doesn't see anyone who isn't. So that freaked me out but my nurse said it's nothing to worry about that he just has the best equipment in town and is skilled at ultrasounds so they do referrals there for all sorts of things
    This has not stopped me from freaking the heck out of course. But, it gives me another chance to see LO and that's a plus.
    My FIL had a genetic caused hole in his heart when he was born that wasn't treated at all until he was 60 so it was something that they wanted to make sure they got a good look at. 
    Anyone have experience with a follow up A/S?
  • Options
    @wineren with DS I had to go back for a follow up A/S because they could not get good pictures of her heart. Basically the  second one they focused on getting the pictures that needed on the heart and then there was extra time so we had fun with the 3D ultrasound. I hope at the next one they get all the pictures the need for you.

• Options
    @wineren I had a follow up ( level 2 ultrasound I think that's what it's called ) with  DD because  they heard an irregular heartbeat with the Doppler.  Everything  turned out just fine.  It seems common that if they don't get the pictures they need a follow up will be done.  Though everything looked great on my LOs ultrasound I will also have an in depth ultrasound again at around 32 weeks due to my DS's  history.   Everything will be totally fine but I know it's hard not to worry.  
  • Options
    @wineren my ob refers all of her patients to a mfm for high def ultrasounds. Your doctors equipment may not be that great or they may want someone more skilled at getting an image from a baby who isn't cooperating. I hope your scan goes well and that the everything look great. 
  • Options
    OmSweetOmOmSweetOm member
    edited April 2017
    Our a/s is Tuesday and I thought I've been holding it together pretty well despite the occasional intrusive "what ifs"... however every. single. night. this week I have been having crazy preggo dreams/nightmares about this damn ultrasound! In one they told me there was no baby in there and so I ran to the store crying and pulled my pants down and started taking pregnancy tests aisle and last night they told me baby had "Cinderella syndrome" which obviously is not remotely real but I was absolutely devastated in dream land. Needless to say I can't wait to Tuesday to just come already... I only wish I was able to have a drink in the meantime to chill the eff out!

edited because why does this site always change my words to random ish... Is it just me?? It keeps me from posting because it seems so annoying!! I'm on mobile but not the app.