May 2017 Moms

Best Baby-Related Toiletries

We've touched on some of these in various threads, but I thought it might be helpful to have them all in one place. If you think of others, feel free to add them.

Favorite/Most Effective...
Diaper Rash Cream
Baby Bath Wash
Baby Shampoo
Baby Lotion/Oil
Nipple Cream

Least Favorite Products (and why)

Re: Best Baby-Related Toiletries

• I really only have an opinion about one...

Diaper Rash Cream: A&D ointment - we use it for EVERYTHING! 
  • @emilyalso yessss A&D :) 

diaper cream: 
    A&D prevent and treat. They worked quickly to heal DDs rashes! 

baby bath wash:
    aveeno baby lavender and vanilla scent. i used that as a baby shampoo too. 

baby lotion:
    aveeno baby. 

nipple cream:
    lansinoh lanolin 

#1 DD Aug 2014 @39weeks via CS

#2 Due May 2,2017 hopeful VBAC

• Loading the player...
  • Favorite/Most Effective...
    Diaper Rash Cream: Destin 
    Baby Bath Wash: Aveeno 
    Baby Shampoo: Johnson/Johnson 
    Baby Lotion/Oil: Aveeno 
    Nipple Cream: Lansinoh 

*Besides shampoo I have always used Aveeno Baby on my tiny infants and then switch to regular Aveeno around 6 months. My kids (and myself) have sensitive skin and it's easier to buy one (often in bulk at Costco) product for the whole family. Same with laundry detergent, I've never purchased separate for the baby we all use Tide Free & Clear 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
    Diaper Rash Cream: Desitin
    Baby Bath Wash: Babyganics
    Baby Shampoo: Babyganics
    Baby Lotion/Oil: Burts, Babyganics, and Aveeno were all pretty good for DD's eczema. 
    Nipple Cream: Motherlove

I don't like any Johnson and Johnson. It dried out DD's skin and has too many chemicals in it. 
    May Siggy Challenge: Labor Memes

Me:31 DH:32 Married 11/06/10
    DD: Born 8/23/13 (clomid+ovidrel+IUI)
    BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• SKZWSKZW member
    Great idea for a thread! 

Nipple cream: Lanolin! Other nipple creams' instrux say that it needs to be wiped off before a nursing session, which can be uncomfy to do with sore nips, but lanolin is safe for baby! Coconut oil also (myriad uses, good to have on hand).

Baby bath: Agree also J&J no tears shampoo and body wash for baby, and later switched to the lavender scent for any help at calmness for bedtime. He's 3yo and it's what we still use. 

Re: baby oil. There's ongoing convos about efficacy for babies, when lotion is just as effective. Seek your ped's advice, as it can be pore clogging?

Laundry: I used Ivory Snow for a long time b/c I have super sensitive skin & assumed baby might as well. So sheets, blankets, swaddles, all clothing and bibs... I wanted everything to be extra "safe" when we started out to avoid any reactions... then, yes, after awhile, the Tide F&C for everyone's things.

Diaper cream: Desitin, dark purple label, highest strength (comes in a tube or tub). We used it even when no evidence of a diaper rash was present, to act as a preventative barrier (on our ped's advice). Just slather it on thick like icing on a cake. Weird but works. (We started with Boudreaux's Butt Paste, which was fine, but Desitin worked better for us.)

Suggest to have Eucerin on hand, also (which I had for my own use already), b/c doc suggested it for baby's eczema and cradle cap, and it really helped!
  • Oh yeah, Aquaphor is great for lots of things. We used it with Desitin and on bad eczema patches. 
    May Siggy Challenge: Labor Memes

Me:31 DH:32 Married 11/06/10
    DD: Born 8/23/13 (clomid+ovidrel+IUI)
    BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• Anything but J and J. All kids (and me) ) have had a reaction to their products. And I can't stand the way it smells!

We love Aveeno, Desitin, and Aquaphor
  • Diaper cream: Aquafor and Triple Paste have been best for our eczema-prone kid. In the beginning, plain old Vaseline worked great. 

Laundry: Tide Free & Gentle

Least favorite: Totally a personal preference here and not a remark on its efficacy, but I couldn't stand the smell of Boudreaux's Butt Paste! 
  • Oh laundry: we just use any of the unscented stuff for all our stuff. DH hates scented soap to begins with so it worked out well. We use target up and up most of the time, and also will use tide or all free and clear. Dreft is unnecessary for most.

Diaper Rash Cream: Boudreaux Butt Paste! 
    Baby Bath Wash: I used whatever I was gifted with DD which was mostly Johnson & Johnson. I use Babyganics now! 
    Baby Shampoo: I just use the babyganics for the whole body.
    Baby Lotion/Oil: I've never used any baby lotion/oil. Unless it's needed, like your child has dry skin etc. I don't understand putting extra products on your kid. 
    Nipple Cream: Earth Mama Angel Baby! 

Adding....
    I know they won't be old enough but we also use Babyganics sunscreen, I use it as well. I LOVE it.
    We use All Free & Clear for all laundry.
    Aquaphor is great to have around the house. 
    Boogie wipes are AMAZING. Everyone needs them.

Least Favorite Products (and why): I don't really have a least favorite product....I don't really understand why one would use baby oil. 
  • Question... Can you get lansinoh at Walmart? Or where can it be purchased? Does it really help?
  • BeachMommy2BBeachMommy2B member
    edited April 2017
    Diaper Rash Cream: Desitin (purple) buttpaste worked at first, but not once DD switched to solids 

Baby Bath Wash: yellow or blue J&J ... DD smelled bad when we used aveno (I didn't even know a baby could smell bad, but she did) 

Baby Shampoo: we didn't use a specific shampoo until DD was probably 18 months. We just used baby bath wash

Baby Lotion/Oil: lavender Johnson and Johnson 

Nipple Cream: boobease nipple balm 

Least Favorite Products (and why):  can't think of anything at the moment 
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• momma2charmomma2char member
    edited April 2017
    Stuck in a box! 

Diaper Rash Cream: sudocrem & coconut oil
    Baby Bath Wash: live clean organics
    Baby Shampoo:  live clean organics
    Baby Lotion/Oil: live clean, until we ran out a couple of months ago... now we're using my Palmer's cocoa butter stretch mark lotion on her (18 months old now) lol! Her skin is so soft though and she smells so good :)
    Nipple Cream: lansinoh

Least Favorite Products (and why): J&J lavender baby wash- might just be me, but I've used it to wash my makeup off before and my eyes were burning... for a product that claims to be "tear free", it certainly wasn't.. so we never used it on our daughter.
  • Diaper Rash Cream: Aquaphor is my fav. We have also used butt paste which was great but less effective.  

No preference for the others. Have used a wide assortment and all were fine. We are finally at the tail end of what we received from our shower for DS. I do love the baby lotion smell!
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Diaper Rash Cream: honest co
    Baby Bath Wash: honest co
    Baby Shampoo: honest co
    Baby Lotion/Oil: honest co
    Nipple Cream: honest co
    Obviously I love everything Honest company. It has never ever failed me. They have the best customer service in the world. Their diaper cream is a miracle cream. It clears up any rashes in hours. Also, their healing balm was the most wonderful thing when my first had terrible eczema. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • hp_momma said:
    Diaper Rash Cream: Destin 
    Baby Bath Wash: Aveeno 
    Baby Shampoo: Johnson/Johnson 
    Baby Lotion/Oil: Aveeno 
    Nipple Cream: Desitin
    Pretty much my answers except I stay away from buying J&J. We still have some from when I had DS but we go through it pretty slowly. 

@michelle59-2 - you should be able to find Lansinoh at Walmart. If not I know that Target does carry it.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

Diaper Rash Cream: triple paste(AMAZING only thing that took away DS daiper rash with couple days)
    Baby Bath Wash: aveeno oatmeal one I beleive(ds has eczema)
    Baby Shampoo: I use baby magic sometimes 
    Baby Lotion/Oil: aveeno eczema lotion 
    Nipple Cream:  madela one. They gave me small sample in hospital worked wonders

I would have to say definitely desiten it's horrible the smell and only enflamed rashes more. That and Johnsons & Johnson  seems to dry out Ds skin
    Diaper Rash Cream: Desitin, purple tube for signs of rash, purple tub for sudden onset full rash
    Baby Bath Wash: Babyganics
    Baby Shampoo: Babyganics
    Baby Lotion/Oil: Babyganics
    Nipple Cream: APNO

I can't think of anything right now. 

I use baby oil on dd's scalp when it gets dry. Rub some right into the hair on the sfall during bath time before washing hair. 

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • bacorrea said:
    ****snip****

Least Favorite Products (and why): I don't really have a least favorite product....I don't really understand why one would use baby oil. 
    We had to use baby/mineral oil when DD had a bit of cradle cap, I guess there are other products that could be used, but pedi suggested it. I will say it cleared it up in about a day and a half. 

April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

Diaper Rash Cream:  Triple Paste - especially for overnight protection. Purple tubed Desitin has worked great, too. 
    Baby Bath Wash: Both J&J and Aveeno seemed to aggravate DS's eczema, so we switched to Earth Mama. No issues so far. 
    Baby Shampoo: See above
    Baby Lotion/Oil: We use a brand called SheaMoisture that I got as a gift, for regular lotion. I'm a pseduo-crunchy freak when it comes to treating eczema flare ups, though, and make a cream with shea butter and EO's (don't throw rocks at me!) that has worked wonders for us.
    Nipple Cream:  Earth Mama or Lanolin

Least Favorite Products (and why):  Dreft anything, but it's just because I loathe the smell. 

Married:09/14/13 
    Baby 1-Born: 7/29/15
    Baby 2 - Due: 5/4/17
  • bacorrea said:
    ****snip****

We had to use baby/mineral oil when DD had a bit of cradle cap, I guess there are other products that could be used, but pedi suggested it. I will say it cleared it up in about a day and a half. 

This!!! My son had really dry scalp and his pedi recommended some baby oil and combing before a bath. Worked like a charm. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    Diaper Rash Cream: Dr. Smiths diaper cream. It gets absorbed well works great
    Baby Bath Wash: honest company shampoo and body washas for children 
    Baby Shampoo
    Baby Lotion/Oil:  aveeno baby
    Nipple Cream- coconut oil 

Least favorite is butt paste as at daycare they have to wipe till baby is clean and that stuff sticks on so much it actually irrirates the butt worse while they are trying to clean. I'll use it for over night stuff 
  • I just realized while I have a full size of baby wash and diaper creme, I only have samples of lotion. Should I go ahead and buy a full size of one we think we will like? I have no problem buying something else if it doesnt work.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @nda_roxybabe one thing I've learned at pediatric clinical that has been confirmed here is that every baby is different. One big take-home is that many "lotions" (think liquid-y in a pump) often contain alcohols - even in baby versions! - and can dry skin out. For dry skin it's best to stick to creams, etc that come in tubs as they're usually more moisturizing. 
  • I want to put together baby's medicine bin. What do I need?
    I have baby Tylenol, Nose Freida, thermometer, nail clippers, nail file, what else? Gripe water and Aquaphor?
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @nda_roxybabe I'd also add gas drops and the saline nose drops. The nose drops are handy when LO gets a cold to help clear out congestion and loosens things up so you can suck them out.
    I have baby Tylenol, Nose Freida, thermometer, nail clippers, nail file, what else? Gripe water and Aquaphor?
    Make sure it's a butt thermometer.  Yes to Aquaphor.  I'd get gas drops over gripe water because I think gripe water expires in fairly quick order after being opened and it may need to be refrigerated.  Boogie wipes are great for crusty baby boogers.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • edited April 2017
    Diaper Rash Cream: Dr.Smiths
    Baby Bath Wash:  Honest Co. lavender  & babyganics vapor bath- for when baby is congested.
    Baby Shampoo: Honest Co. & mustela newborn foaming shampoo- great for cradle cap
    Baby Lotion/Oil: Honest Co. lavender
    Nipple Cream: Bamboobies nipple cream (its the only one I've tried so I cant really compare)

Least Favorite Products (and why):  I try to stay away from J&J products, I've never bought any but I was gifted so much at my shower. I do use them from time to time and it's fine but I'm a little skeptical about the ingredients. Also the Dr.Smiths butt cream & mustela shampoo I read were on the naughty list for having bad ingredients so I stopped buying them also but they do work!
    Make sure it's a butt thermometer.  Yes to Aquaphor.  I'd get gas drops over gripe water because I think gripe water expires in fairly quick order after being opened and it may need to be refrigerated.  Boogie wipes are great for crusty baby boogers.

Yes to the butt thermometer. It's the only reading that I trust. I have a forehead temp scanner as well and I just don't trust it. When your baby is sick you don't really want to mess around with inaccurate readings.
  • Can someone explain what exactly gripe water is for and how it's used? We just heard about it recently and the sample package has no useful information on it. While our imaginations were quite steller, I think if we use it, we would want to use it correctly.
    Diaper Rash Cream: we used desitin in the purple tube which was great for a when it was really irritated. Aquifer was my fav for when it was just starting. It was also recommended for vulvitis and helped the irritation
    Baby Bath Wash: We are still using J&J because were gifted so much during her baby shower. 
    Baby Shampoo: Same as above (j&J) 
    Baby Lotion/Oil: Never used any lotion or oil
    Nipple Cream: Lanolin for over the counter but my OB prescribed Dr. Newman's Nipple balm which had to be made at a compound pharmacy. It was AMAZING and by far my favorite baby product lol

Least Favorite Products (and why):  I really didn't like the J&J lotions (specifically the pink bottle one). The scent was just so strong! 

We also never used a special laundry soap, Free and clear for the first load but then just switched to the same stuff we used (I think use Tide? or whatever is on sale when I'm shopping). 
                     imageimage
    Anniversary
  • diaper cream: 
    Day-to-day, we used Vaseline. If DD got a little irritated we would switch to A+D. 

baby bath wash:
    we started off using Mustela, but DD has really bad eczema and after trying everything, the only thing that has cleared it up has been Cetaphil. 

baby lotion:
    See above. 

nipple cream:
    I actually didn't use any nipple cream because I found that if I did then I would crack. It was much better not using anything. 

There was nothing that I really hated using, but don't get discouraged if you have to try a few things before you find what works. 

• Diaper Rash Cream: I think this just depends on the kid - my son just had the worst diaper rash and layering Aquaphor and Triple Paste was the only thing that finally cleared him up (I paid a small fortune trying everything on the shelf at target, in addition to taking him to his dr lol) 
    Baby Bath Wash/shampoo: the sweet orange vanilla honest co wash. I love it and they sell them at my Costco for pretty cheap :) 
    Baby Lotion/Oil: Bought honest co but really never felt like I needed to use it on him (ended up using it on myself though) 
    Nipple Cream: lansinoh lanolin on myself and coconut oil to coat my breast pump flanges 
  • I think, as others have pointed out, much of this depends on the kid, but here are my answers anyway! Generally, I have really sensitive skin, so I stuck with brands that I'm familiar with because I use them in my own life...

Diaper Rash Cream: We use plain ole petroleum jelly with each diaper change and have an arsenal of diaper rash creams when things get red...the one that has worked best for us in the past with DS is Butt Paste. 
    Baby Bath Wash/shampoo: Aveeno Baby Calming Lavender and Vanilla--mostly because I like the smell and it's never seemed to bother DS. 
    Baby Lotion/Oil: Also the Aveeno Baby Calming Lavender and Vanilla. 
    Nipple Cream: I never really needed nipple cream with DS because I always used a nipple shield. 
    Adding my own category for laundry detergent: Mostly adding this because I think it's criminal that companies market a need for a separate baby-friendly type of detergent. Pick up a Free and Clear formula that you can use for the whole family and call it a day...
    Least Favorite Products (and why): I don't really have a least favorite product, but I do find it annoying that it's so hard to find a bulk diaper cream that can be used for everyday changes that aren't rashy. It gets expensive! 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but we went with California Baby products, except for diaper rash cream (bad reviews). I'm a FTM so I have no idea how they will work out, but I liked that the ingredients are natural. For diaper cream, we got Burt's Bees.