August 2017 Moms

Nursery plans

Re: Nursery plans

• @bumpybump I see your point however I will be changing baby on the floor. The changing pad is for my DH who may only change 2 diapers in his life. :/ He insisted on having one so I plan on decorating the hell out of it to make it pretty. lol 
    The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

• Loading the player...
  • What kind of curtains/window coverings are you guys doing in your nurseries? STM's - are light blocking curtains essential? I love natural light and the nursery has a dark accent wall so I am not sure about curtains, but if light blocking ones really help with sleep then I'll go with that!
  • Kaityrj said:
    What kind of curtains/window coverings are you guys doing in your nurseries? STM's - are light blocking curtains essential? I love natural light and the nursery has a dark accent wall so I am not sure about curtains, but if light blocking ones really help with sleep then I'll go with that!
    We have a light blocking shade and it has been priceless. You either get a good sleeper or you don't, I'm convinced it's genetic. But our daughter will sleep forever if it's dark (she didn't get that from me!)
  • Agree, over the last five years we have come to learn that light blocking on the windows is priceless. I did not get blackout shades for my first nursery and have been slowly making them a requirement for every new kid room in the house. For two kid rooms we just have the roll down blackout shades underneath pretty curtains, but for my 5 year old's new room with odd shape windows I went with some drapes off amazon and they work well too! 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7XLJS4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

• @Kaityrj I didn't get blackout or light filtering curtains for my first. We were trying the whole "don't get her used to complete darkness so she can sleep better if she's in a situation where it can't be dark, i.e. Vacation, parent's/in-law's homes). However, I am debating with this child because this nursery is facing east and it not only gets more morning/afternoon sun, but more heat. I'm thinking I may get some light filtering ones and see how that goes. However, if either child decided they couldn't sleep without it being dark I would buy blackout curtains in a second haha. I'm sure it depends on the child.
  • We bought a blackout curtain for DS because his room is on the front side of the house and gets a lot of light. We're in a cul de sac and the street light shines right in. I wouldn't really worry about them getting used to it if you plan on having baby in the room with you at first. We so had a nightlight in there. He sleeps just as week when we travel. I'll also get a blackout curtain for this LO because his room is right next to DS's. 
  • All your pics look awesome ladies! Beautiful rooms!

Roommate FINALLY moved out! Hallelujah! We wasted no time in deep-cleaning the room (roommate had a cat that she didn't clean up after very well). The room is now vacuumed, dusted, and scrubbed! DH put the crib together. The dresser, toy chest, and rocker are in there now too. Most of the art is on the walls. We just need a lamp, which is on it's way. I still need to make new cushions for the rocker and a valence for the window, and get a couple of other things for the walls.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @belmont1785 @Donehue @middy411
    @SouthernMama15 thank you!! I didn't even think about the position of the room and making them possibly dependent on the dark to sleep. Great points! I think I'll stick with the regular ones for now since that side of the house is shaded for the most part but if there is any trouble sleeping will definitely get them! 
  • If the crib mattress is waterproof, do I still need to buy the waterproof mattress covers? I added to registry but I guess I don't really need unless there is something I am missing? 

I will probably get them for the bassinet though, but still need to decide on one!
  • tova24tova24 member
    @Kaityrj I was always told to buy the waterproof mattress covers no matter what. I bought a pack of 2 by Sealy on Amazon. My aunt also told me to buy a shit ton of crib sheets! She said when my cousins were little and their diapers would leak she literally would be throwing down towels and cursing herself for only having 2 crib sheets. 
  • @Kaityrj what tova said. Even if your mattress is waterproof, you'd probably still want to wipe it down if baby leaked. With the mattress pad/cover under the sheet, you just strip it off and put down a fresh one.  Plenty of sheets are a necessity,  and if you have a pack n play or bassinet that baby sleeps in at first, make sure you have plenty for it as well. 

Another sheet note, I insisted on navy sheets for DS to match. I didn't want white because it didn't "go" with my theme. My mom tried to warn me. I wound up buying white ones on clearance because the dark color showed every bit of drool, snot, or whatever. It made me feel like I had to wash them every single day. 
  • @Kathryn0903 looks great! That's the swing we have and it's great
  • Another sheet note, I insisted on navy sheets for DS to match. I didn't want white because it didn't "go" with my theme. My mom tried to warn me. I wound up buying white ones on clearance because the dark color showed every bit of drool, snot, or whatever. It made me feel like I had to wash them every single day. 
    That's a really great point that I wouldn't have thought of... Even the darker gray sheets I have on our bed don't wear well. Off to go switch up the sheets on on our registry!

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Mango517 it's one of my mommy pro-tips as much as I hated being wrong.
  • With my twins, I used to make the crib like this-waterproof cover, crib sheet, waterproof cover crib sheet.   That way if there was an accident in the middle of the night, I just ripped off the top two layers and didn't have to make the bed!
  • Another tip:   we used Crib Sheet Savers at the very beginning.  It's about a foot wide, and goes across the whole crib. We layed DS on top of it so that if he spit up or pooped, we only has to replace and wash that piece instead of the whole sheet and mattress protector.  They worked amazing for the first few months until he started moving around in there.  

Pregnancy Ticker

• tova24tova24 member
    @Kathryn0903 your nursery looks amazing!!
  • LSP87LSP87 member
    edited June 2017
    @JWatt5 Absolutely gorgeous!!! Fantastic job on the nursery.

Edit to add that your dog photobomb is the best
  • @JWatt5 Freaking adorable nursery! You did a great job.

Your dog photobombing that one picture is just so cute!

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • You guys all have such awesome talent for decorating. Beautiful rooms.
  • JWatt5JWatt5 member
    @LSP87 @Mango517 - room wouldn't be complete without Finny supervising haha. 
    Thanks everyone. 
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• @Jwatt5 LOVE it!! So well put together. Nice job!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Love seeing all of these nurseries!  We just moved DS into a big boy room, and are re-using the same nursery.  Seeing all these pictures makes me wish I had started all over.  These babies are all so lucky to have such beautiful rooms! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• @JWatt5 your nursery came out amazing!! I love all of your pictures - thanks for sharing! (And your dog is adorable!!)

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

• So jealous of all the complete/close ones! My shower is this weekend and our glider just arrived at the store so hopefully i can get more done this weekend!! Decals are going up tonight-Yay!
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • My husband finally cleared out the rest of his stuff last night. So far, I've vacuumed and mopped the floor and put stuff on the bookshelf in there just so we can clear out the living room that has been overtaken by baby things. The crib is already in there. Hopefully we'll get more furniture this weekend from Craigslist.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • tova24tova24 member
    @secicc12 it looks amazing!! Your crib is so pretty!
  • @secicc12 that's beautiful!  We just got one of those cube organizers for DS's room and I love it. We have books in the top 3 slots and cubes for toys in the bottom 3. Small toys are in those plastic shoebox size containers on top. He can get to what he needs and it's easy for him to clean up after himself. 
  • What's everyone's plan for securing furniture to the wall, like the dresser? I was putting baby clothes away today and didn't realize I had all 6 drawers open and the dresser tipped right over on me. I caught it but it scared the crap out of me. I told my husband that once our son can start to crawl/pull himself up on stuff or walk, that we should secure the dresser. He freaked out and told me that I'm overreacting and he doesn't want to put holes in the wall. Am I being crazy? Anyone else plan to secure their furniture?  
  • @mrsjqg1024 most definitely secure your furniture. Children have died from dressers/shelves falling on them. Just be sure the item is where you want it to be for a while since it does leave holes in the wall, I wouldn't want to move it around and just add more holes. 
  • @mrsjqg1024 heavy furniture should be secured to the wall.  Holes can be patched, but a baby getting hurt or dying from something falling over!   We have everything in our house secured, not just the nursery furniture. 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • tova24tova24 member
    @AbbeyH I really love your nursery! Super cute. Where did you buy your little foot rest? 
  • JWatt5JWatt5 member
    @secicc12 - oh so cute!!! Looks great! 
    @AbbeyH - yours too!! Just  adorable! 

@mrsjqg1024 - the dresser/change table we bought came with a kit to secure it to the wall - we just did our dressers as well, I had to call IKEA for those to get the kits because we didn't seem to use them/keep the kits when we got it. I think most companies you can call for one (it's really just a L - Shaped bracket). 
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• AbbeyHAbbeyH member
    tova24 said:
    @AbbeyH I really love your nursery! Super cute. Where did you buy your little foot rest? 
    Home goods for the win!