May 2017 Moms

Birth Predictions

Re: Birth Predictions

• kat81kat81 member
    march2008 said:
    With my first baby, my OBGYN actually let me use the due date (6-13) that I'd calculated from charting and with her I went into labor on that actual date and she was born on that exact due date, too! The estimated due date from my LMP and ultrasound dating would have been 2 days earlier (6-11).

With this baby, my new OB is using the date from my LMP, which is in line with my second-trimester ultrasound and that is 5-11. I know I ovulated on CD16 because I was charting so if this pregnancy is anything like my first and it follows right along with my ovulation date, I'll have this baby on May 12th.
    I don't know why they always want you go to with your LMP when you've actually charted.

With my first I made up a fake LMP because my cycle was like 42 days or something ridiculous like that and I had charted so I knew when I actually ovulated. With my second I also charted but the LMP was close enough. With this one I didn't chart and so it feels like I have no idea of when my real due date is!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DS came at 40+6 and was 8'11. That week overdue was pretty miserable so I'm hoping just to be on time with this one. My LMP was two months before me BFP and I wasn't charting, so I've only got my ultrasounds to go on. Everything has been measuring right on track, so fingers crossed for the 15th!
  • Loading the player...
  • kat81 said:
    march2008 said:
    With my first baby, my OBGYN actually let me use the due date (6-13) that I'd calculated from charting and with her I went into labor on that actual date and she was born on that exact due date, too! The estimated due date from my LMP and ultrasound dating would have been 2 days earlier (6-11).

With this baby, my new OB is using the date from my LMP, which is in line with my second-trimester ultrasound and that is 5-11. I know I ovulated on CD16 because I was charting so if this pregnancy is anything like my first and it follows right along with my ovulation date, I'll have this baby on May 12th.
    I don't know why they always want you go to with your LMP when you've actually charted.

With my first I made up a fake LMP because my cycle was like 42 days or something ridiculous like that and I had charted so I knew when I actually ovulated. With my second I also charted but the LMP was close enough. With this one I didn't chart and so it feels like I have no idea of when my real due date is!
    I agree! I have longer cycles so I always change my lmp so that it will match actual ovulation. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• I'm due 5/5, though since Day 1 my Dr. said she shows 5/7, but will go with my date (which I got from online stuff). I'd been thinking 5/7 as we love the #7 and it just sounded right. However, I've been having some pretty real feeling about having this baby early, if that counts for anything? I've had a few people say they think I'll go early too (probably because I'm huge). Soo...I really dont know.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • This may be a silly question but I thought that all doctors wouldn't let you go past 41 weeks. I talked to a lady yesterday whose daughter went two weeks past her due date and then a few friends who had scheduled induction/c sections by 41 weeks. Does it just depend on your doctor or is it a case by case scenario? 
  • Hmm, I'm asking my Dr. tomorrow what her cutoff is.
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot thanks for responding, must be based on the doctor. Mine doesn't let patients go past 41w because he says the placenta starts to decline after that. 

• @SWE2 I think it depends on the dr. Some seem to be 42 weeks and others 41. Mine was 41 last time although induction was scheduled for 40+5. I was torn about pushing to wait for the full 41 to let the baby cook as long as possible or if that would have caused me to require a cs due to baby's size and ended up just going with what they scheduled. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • SWE2 said:
    This may be a silly question but I thought that all doctors wouldn't let you go past 41 weeks. I talked to a lady yesterday whose daughter went two weeks past her due date and then a few friends who had scheduled induction/c sections by 41 weeks. Does it just depend on your doctor or is it a case by case scenario? 
    It definitely depends in my experience. I went to a practice that was largely midwives last time around, and they wouldn't discuss induction as a FTM until 42 weeks. I ended up going 41+3. At my new practice, the OB would induce at 41 (or earlier!) but I will hold off and try to go on my own as long as possible. So interesting how it differs. 
  • I so appreciate the words from STMs about due dates and expectations. I am trying not to get too attached to mine - 5/25. She is measuring a week ahead at the moment. I can't stop thinking about how my husband was 12 lbs when he was born...whew! Ouch.
  • bacorreabacorrea member
    edited March 2017
    In my previous hospital (military) they let you go to 42. My current OB (civilian) said 42 as well. It's pretty common from what I hear. However those last two weeks I believe you have to go in more frequently for NSTs. I have doctors appointments scheduled all the way to 41 weeks and they just cancel them if you deliver early.
  • bacorrea said:
    In my previous hospital (military) they let you go to 42. My current OB (civilian) said 42 as well. It's pretty common from what I hear. However those last two weeks I believe you have to go in more frequently for NSTs. I have doctors appointments scheduled all the way to 41 weeks and they just cancel them if you deliver early.
    This ^^ 
    There are certainly medical reasons to induce (as early as 37-38 for common issues) prior to the EDD but generally we wait until the week between 41 and 42, with 2 NSTs scheduled during that week. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• With my DD1 my due date was 26th of May and I always thought she would be born on the 23rd and she was. I thought it for the last 3 months of my pregnancy, I was fixed on that date haha! This pregnancy I'm due on the 24th of May and I think she'll be born on the 21st but we will see. I just hope it doesn't fall on DD1 birthday! 
  • @NewbySweet - makes me feel better than others have EDD's that close to siblings birthdays too, I have got so much crap from people about it I start feeling guilty about it. 

• I so appreciate the words from STMs about due dates and expectations. I am trying not to get too attached to mine - 5/25. She is measuring a week ahead at the moment. I can't stop thinking about how my husband was 12 lbs when he was born...whew! Ouch.
    I think a baby's birth weight is more impacted by the mom than the dad so hopefully that's the case for you, because I agree, ouch! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• SKZWSKZW member
    @NewbySweet - makes me feel better than others have EDD's that close to siblings birthdays too, I have got so much crap from people about it I start feeling guilty about it. 
    @Bailey8809 @NewbySweet
    Me too! My son's EDD was 5/14 and he was born 5/16. This one's due date is 5/19, and I've been concerned that they'd be birthday twins but really wanting them to have their own special days for themselves.

My hubbs the other day said "you realize we'd probably still celebrate them together, if they're really close dates, right?" and I was like "oh."  :)
  • @bacorrea speaking of Birthday sharing, my DS will be 3 on April 26th too!
  • livin541 said:
    @bacorrea speaking of Birthday sharing, my DS will be 3 on April 26th too!
    How fun!! 
  • I was due july 7th with dd and always measured about 2 weeks ahead. She came two days late. My practice let me schedule an induction at 40+2, so i just happened to go into labor a frw hours before i wpuld have been induced. 

This time im really clueless. I didnt realize how many risk factors i had for preterm labor so part of me thinks theyll be early but i also know that if youve gone full term before youre likely to again and theyre already planning a cswction for 38 weeks so i feel like i may make it to that... Idk!! The website says the most likely day (4%) is april 24! I will guess may 1st :)
  • I can't remember if this was posted here or elsewhere, but I found this pretty fascinating:
    https://expectingscience.com/2014/09/29/your-due-date-is-wrong-so-when-is-labor-really-most-likely/

Basically, the whole idea of your due date being 40 weeks after your last period is really not based in any reliable science really isn't actually a good or highly precise predictor of when your baby will be born (at least not the best predictor).  It also adds to the argument that most babies will likely be at least a few days late.
  • How are you getting What to expect to give you a percentage? I'm missing it.
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @nda_roxybabe it's whentoexpect.com. I did the same thing. 
  • @RainyDays86 Typical, something that is so uniquely WOMAN (childbirth) was "explained" by a man. And is wrong. Eye roll. 
  • @vrj0522 That's good to know, here's to hoping! :smile:
  • I'm also in the "trying to avoid a sibling birthday share" club.  My toddler turns three on 5/21 and I'm due on 5/16.  One of the MFMs didn't want me going over 40 weeks, so hopefully she will be here and I will be home from the hospital in time for his birthday!

I think baby girl will come around 39 weeks, which is 5/9.  She's been measuring a week ahead on every ultrasound except for my first one.  The above MFM is hoping for 38 weeks so we'll see.  My midwife plans to strip membranes then.  We'll also see what's happening at 36 weeks when they do the GBS test.

Re: going to 41/42 weeks, my midwifery practice will let you go to 42 weeks with lots of monitoring after 40 weeks.  I had an NST and a sonogram at 40w1d and they would have been repeated a few days later had I not ended up being induced.
    Feb 2012:  DS1 born 40w2d, 7 lb 11 oz, 20"
    May 2014:  DS2 born 40w3d, 10 lb, 23"

Due May 2017 with DD1!
  • At this point in our life and life journey we are finding great humor that DS and the twins could share a birthday on 3/31. Exactly a year apart....
  • What I think and what I hope for are very different!  DS was 9 days early and DD was 21 days early.

i think: 2 weeks early (May 10)
    i hope: 6-8 days late (May 30-June 1st)

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• This is a fun idea! I'm really not sure. He's measuring a week ahead and my fundal height is constantly 3+ weeks ahead. That's how ds2 was and he came 3 weeks early. So I'm thinking closer to 37 weeks. I'm miserable but I want him to come when he's ready, so while I'm ready asap I'd be happiest with 38 weeks. Between ds2 2nd bday and our anniversary. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm measuring behind uterus wise but they think its due to baby already having dropped and doing a headstand on my cervix. On my growth ultrasounds I am measuring right on target. Last week baby was estimated 4 lbs! They say I am already dilating and I have 7 weeks left but last time the first time they checked I was 3 cm. Who knows how long I was walking around like that prior to the first cervical check? what to expect says my highest likelihood is the 6th and 7th of may dd is may 14th. I went a day early with ds as a ftm. 

To all those with birthday twins or possible close birthdays, my best friend just had a baby on her sons birthday in sept just 2 years apart and of course they are going to celebrate together now.