Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

What would the world look like without you?

I thought this might be an interesting exercise today!

We do a lot - more than we know, I think.  So in this post please write down all the things your significant other would have to do if you disappeared.  Also if you work outside of the home please write down how your male coworkers would have to compensate if all the women who worked at your company suddenly disappeared.

Even if you can't strike today, this is an interesting thing to think about!

Re: What would the world look like without you?

• Options
    H would have to:
    Sweep all the hard floors
    Vacuum all the carpets
    Clean the kitchen, bathroom sink/counters
    Clean the kitchen table
    Dust the whole house
    Water all the plants
    Pay the phone bill
    Pay the car insurance
    Pay the mortgage and HOA
    Get and sort the mail
    Pick up dog poo
    Feed the dogs
    Buy gifts for people
    Organize events with his friends
    Keep the house organized (donate old clothes, books, etc)

I'm a teacher, and if all the female teachers at my school disappeared the male teachers would have to:
    Have classes of like... 300 students
    Go back to school to get an art degree - bachelors and masters (the only art teachers at my school are women)
    Put together demonstrations of techniques
    Put together presentations on artists and art movements
    Create POs for purchasing art supplies
    Order supplies from companies as well as go out and buy supplies in person, on their own time
    Fill out paperwork for evidence of all expenses
    Set up field trips - pay for the venue, fill out paperwork, pay for and schedule the bus, find coverage for the day
    Grade all student projects
    Grade all writing assignments
    Consistently monitor and correct student technique 
    Post grades online
    Respond to parent emails and calls
    Reach out to parents of students who are struggling
    Organize all supplies that get messed up through the day, semester, year
    Re order supplies when it gets low (without letting it actually run out!)
    Attend all IEP meetings with other teachers, the parents, the student, counselors, etc

• Options
    Oh my God, my poor H would not function without me - and he admits and recognizes it 100%. I do everything (pay all the bills, take care of the household stuff, laundry, groceries, etc). We are friends with another couple and the husband said he probably would sit in the dark and have no idea what to do with himself if he didn't have his wife coordinating everything, and that's definitely how it is in my house! 

I don't have any male coworkers (small business) so literally there would be no business if my partner and I didn't work...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @LoveInDC sounds like you need to take a week long girls trip sometime and let your H find out what a week without you would be like  ;)
  • Options
    I am so deeply impressed by you ladies.  I hope you take a moment of gratitude for yourselves today.  You all contribute so much - to your families, to your place of work, the economy, the country, the world.

<3
  • Options
    antoto said:
    @LoveInDC sounds like you need to take a week long girls trip sometime and let your H find out what a week without you would be like  ;)
    Haha if only that would work. I was gone 5 days last spring for a conference. He spent most days over his parents' house (They live in our neighborhood and his mom loves cooking for us/him) Before we got together, he ate Wawa most nights. I will give him credit, he can keep a place tidy and pay the bills, but dude will seriously find any way too keep from running errands or cooking.
  • Options
    H would pretty much have to do everything:
    Pay all the bills
    Make all appointments (he needs me to text him to remind him to call the doc) including ones for himself, DS, the pets, things for the house, the cars, get taxes done, etc 
    Do the laundry
    Do the grocery shopping
    Change the cats litter
    Sweep, dust
    Buy incedentals (toothpaste, laundry detergent, toilet paper, garbage bags, etc - you know stuff that always magically replenishes itself)
    Dress, feed DS, buy his clothes, bathe him, get him ready for school, go to school events, parent teacher meetings 

At work I run the office so basically my co workers would have to do all admin - answer phones, open mail, pay bills, process contracts, pull materials for events, do mailings, answer general email, organize files, input information into databases, do program books and invitations for events

Great exercise @antoto

I know many of us are aware of how much we do on a daily basis but when you list it out...
    Me: 38 DH:39
    TTC #2 - August 2016
    MFI
    IUI #1-3 BFN 

Heart Mom - DS 3/15/13
    BFP 4/21/18 MMC 6/11/18
  • Options
    @antoto, thanks this is a neat and empowering idea!

I don't know that I can list all the things I do around the house (laundry, dishes, cooking, and taking care of the dog's messes are probably the major ones), but I think most importantly, I'm more or less DH's therapist. He talks to me about his frustrations with work, family, etc, and I help to calm him down, decide how to handle problems, and try to give him lessons in how not to let all these little things bother him so much. It's probably my most stressful job, and I honestly don't know how DH would survive without me. And I mean that in the most literal sense. 

At work, I work for two men, but in the lab it's mostly women. Also, I work in women's cancers research, so it really helps to have a woman talking to the survivors and donors. I'm lucky to work in an environment where women are really supported just as much as the men. I've worked at less supportive places, and it just seems to breed competition, mistrust, and poor morale.

PS, my boss just checked in on me to see how I'm feeling after being out for two days. Not trying to pressure me or anything, just wanted to help me out with my work. I love my job.

Me: 30 | DH: 31
    Met: August 2006
    Married: July 2012
    TTC #1 since June 2016

***TW***

BFP: 7/12/16 | MC: 9/12/16
    BFP: 1/18/17 | MMC: 2/13/17
    BFP: 10/7/17 | EDD: 6/21/17

MTHFR: homozygous A1298C
  • Options
    @loveindc I think I've said this before, but our H's sound soooo similiar. If I ask him to do anything "extra" it's the biggest deal! Having him run into the store for one thing is like I asked him to cure cancer. 

• Options
    @icecubeinthedesert Oh snap that's such a good point you make!  I have done a lot of the same "work" with H.  When I first met him he was shoulder deep in CC debt and couldn't commit to ANYTHING.  Of course this stuff works both ways in a marriage, but sometimes that emotional/ethical/moral support can be just as or more exhausting than doing stuff around the house.
  • Options
    Fiance would have to:
    Work harder to be able to afford current home and bills - he's currently part time to pay for his debt and will help out every other week with groceries, while I pay rent and bills.
    Care for the Cat.
    Learn how to do the Laundry.
    Clean house.

Things he normally shares responsibility with me:
    Dishes
    Garbage
    Cooking

As for work we are pretty good at splitting work loads, but each of us do have our specialties. Half of the QA group would be gone, so they'd have to pick up testing the programs that were always auto assigned to me or my coworker.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    **TW in Spoiler**
    https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/683816

BFP 6/30/16, MC 8/21/16
    BFP 05/04/17, 5/10/17 Emergency LAP due to ectopic. Right tube removed.

BFP 07/12/17, ECDD 03/25/18  -  Silver Orion Born 3/23/18
    BFP 09/30/19, EDD 06/11/20

• Options
    hartmich said:
    @loveindc I think I've said this before, but our H's sound soooo similiar. If I ask him to do anything "extra" it's the biggest deal! Having him run into the store for one thing is like I asked him to cure cancer. 
    YESSS! Every once in a while I have this revelation: When did this become my responsibility? When did we decide that running errands is my responsibility and mine alone? What if I just assumed he was keeping track of the food, and toiletries, and the cleaning supplies, etc. etc. and just complained to him when things were gone? He would get caught so off guard. He'd probably ask if we could go together and get his panties in a twist if I told him he had to go alone because I didn't feel like it. And yet, this is the life I'm living. Sigh.
  • Options
    @LoveInDC Preach girl.  My DH would be the same way
    Me: 38 DH:39
    TTC #2 - August 2016
    MFI
    IUI #1-3 BFN 

Heart Mom - DS 3/15/13
    BFP 4/21/18 MMC 6/11/18
  • Options
    pebbledampebbledam member
    edited March 2017
    My H would apparently die from the cold that I gave him because he seriously wouldn't make a doctor's appointment. After getting tired of hearing him complain for the 9th day in a row, I told him 3 times to just go to the doctor if he was so worried. After the 3rd time he asked me to make him an appointment for Friday over his lunch break. Oh, and this man cold prevented us from going to Epcot on vacation last week. 

On another note, I think women make up about 40% of the people in My department at work, so there would be a lot of OT called if we all called in. Out in the field is dominated by men, though, so they wouldn't miss us much.  

ETA because my phone's autocorrect like a to exagerate numbers and DH had not been sick for 95 days. 
    Me: 29 | DH: 29
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
    Letrozole + TI = BFP 01/30/2018 | EDD 10/11/2018
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @loveindc Yuppppp I hear you. It's crazy, because it's not like H had a mother who did everything for him growing up... he had to be pretty self sufficient. But I've learned that I'm ok with it because 1. he will often express appreciation and 2. he admits that he can't survive without me, haha. 

• Options
    Great topic, @antoto!

DH is a pretty resilient guy and he's truly a terrific partner. The military has trained him very well to be self-sufficient when it comes to the household chores, but he would definitely oversleep much more often if it wasn't for me. He also eats sooo much better since we got married and said he can no longer eat junk food because I've gotten him used to real, fresh foods. He also would probably still be in debt, living paycheck to paycheck, and not giving his education a second thought.

If it wasn't for women, the entire secondary English department at our school wouldn't exist and the other secondary departments would be patchy. Almost the entire elementary department would be gone. All of the leadership (principal, vice principal, curriculum director, and head counselor) at the school would vanish. The YWCA that partners with our school: gone. I already know what would happen if I left the school for the most part, as I spent a year abroad while teaching online and everyone said the school just wasn't the same.

I'm so thankful for all the amazing women leaders in my life. I would never be the person I am today if it wasn't for their support. I am also thankful for this wonderful group of women on the Bump! You are getting me through this tough time in our journey to have children and you are a great community of ladies.

Me: 35 DH: 28
    TTC since June 2016

Azoospermia diagnosis (zero count) Dec 2016

AZFc chromosome microdeletion discovery March 2017
    Unsuccessful TESE for DH in August 2017
    October 2017 IVF with donor sperm
    29R, 24M, 16F, 2d5, 4d6 (6 embryos total)
    Only 3 could have PGS. 2/3 normal. 5 embies frozen
    12/15/17 FET #1 (1 embryo)--CP
    2/7/17 FET #2 (2 embryos)--BFN
    Chronic endometritis diagnosis May 2018
    ERA Sept 2018--borderline receptive--12 more hours of progesterone
    Abnormal SIS Oct 2018
    Repeat hysteroscopy Nov 1. Treated recurring endometritis.
    12/4/18 FET #3 (2 embryos)--BFN
    Our journey has come to an end.
    ~*~*~Nevertheless, she persisted~*~*~
  • Options
    I like this.

at home, honestly not much would change for DH we split household responsibilities, each do our own laundry and clean. There would probably not be a lot of deep cleaning. He would probably forget to go places/do things because I'm the calendar in our house. I know that without me he would not have seen as much of the country/world as he has. I'm constantly pushing for our next great adventure. 

At work...everything would stop. All of the social workers are female, so there would be no therapy, no discharging, no assessments. Also, since I work for a hospital, the majority of the nurses would be gone too. In our department, with no female employees there would be two doctors, a small handful of nurses and I'm glad to say, no management. In one of the clinics we literally have one male employee. He would be there alone trying to do the jobs of 10 people.

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• Options
    H is pretty self-sufficient too. We both do our fair share around our place. I'm very thankful for everything he does. We take turns cooking and cleaning, and whenever he is home on the weekends he lets me sleep in and he wakes up with the dogs.

That being said, he wouldn't be able to work the type of job he has without me, or he wouldn't have two loving fur babies. His job is constantly making him travel for days on end. He is 4 hours away right now until Friday.

The heart of my work is mostly everything the women do here. There would be no reception, payroll, our anyone to type up the reports for the insurance companies. Our adjusters are mostly men, and they work long hours most days. They probably wouldn't sleep if they had to do everything we do on a daily basis.
  • Options
    @eggplantface -- I'm going have to start saying that to my students! Oh, the horror of the semi-colons that I see.
    Me: 35 DH: 28
    TTC since June 2016

Azoospermia diagnosis (zero count) Dec 2016

AZFc chromosome microdeletion discovery March 2017
    Unsuccessful TESE for DH in August 2017
    October 2017 IVF with donor sperm
    29R, 24M, 16F, 2d5, 4d6 (6 embryos total)
    Only 3 could have PGS. 2/3 normal. 5 embies frozen
    12/15/17 FET #1 (1 embryo)--CP
    2/7/17 FET #2 (2 embryos)--BFN
    Chronic endometritis diagnosis May 2018
    ERA Sept 2018--borderline receptive--12 more hours of progesterone
    Abnormal SIS Oct 2018
    Repeat hysteroscopy Nov 1. Treated recurring endometritis.
    12/4/18 FET #3 (2 embryos)--BFN
    Our journey has come to an end.
    ~*~*~Nevertheless, she persisted~*~*~
  • Options
    My school would probably cease to function because 90% of the staff are women. 

My husband probably would probably have gone the way of many veterans and had problems with drugs and alcohol. He can be impulsive, and I (or at least the idea of me, since he's currently away) keep him on track. He also probably wouldn't have roots anywhere or much stability. 
    Me: 28 DH: 29
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC #1: 12/2016
    Benched due to deployment- Off the bench 8/8/17!

• Options
    @antoto this thread rocks.

My husband is super cool and we have a very equal partnership when it comes to running our household. There are very few chores that only one of us performs. We both cook, we both clean, we both run errands. Really the only thing would be grooming our dog. He'd have to pay someone to do that. 

At work is the opposite. I manage a large apartment community (200 + units) and have an all male staff that could not function without me. If you live in an apartment and hate the manager please know that you're not alone. Everyone hates us. Because we are solely responsible for everything that goes on on the property. The physical structures, the people that live there, the staff and all the outside vendors, alllll of the money (payable and receivable,) enforcing the lease, and so on and so on forever and ever. My job is everything. I'm not just picking up the phone and telling you to get rid of your gas grill, I'm also typing up financial reports, taking apart the water feature in front of the office to fix the waterfall, paying invoices and running to lowes for concrete....all before lunch. And the majority of property managers are women. If we all disappeared for a day the multifamily industry would completely fall apart.
    Me: 31 Husby: 36
    Married May 2014
    TTC # 2  Since December 2021
    Baby girl W born 2/2021
    Our journey so far...
    (tw loss & infertility)
    Diagnosis: Poor Egg Quality 
    Working with an RE since March 2016
    2 failed TI cycles
    3 failed IUI cycles

IVF Feb - April 2017
    23 eggs collected, 20 mature, 14 fertilized with ICSI, 4 day 3 blasts, 3 day 5 blasts, 1 PGS normal
    Transferred 1 PGS normal embryo 4.12.17
    BFP 4.21.17
    MMC due to small gestational sac 6.8.17

Our adoption journey:
    12.25.18 Agency picked and apps submitted!
    5.1.19 Adoption on hold so we can buy a house! 
    1.1.20 Homestudy process started
    3.14.20 First social worker visit
    5.25.20 Homestudy Approved & Submitted to Agency

6.1.20 Surprise! Positive pregnancy test!
    Healthy baby girl born 2/10/2021

• Options
    My husband almost cried at the grocery store when he went once instead of me. To be fair, they had just rearranged. He'd also only eat fast food and things out of cans (Spam gross!). I also wouldn't doubt if he still lived with his parents (he only moved out because we got together). 

Married: August 2014
    TTC #1: February 2017 - BFP 7/28/17; EDD 4/8/18; DD born 4/7/18
    TTC #2: February 2019