June 2017 Moms

Weekly Randoms 3/6

Re: Weekly Randoms 3/6

• Yailani23 said:
    Anyone else has started getting the rude comments about how "big" they're getting?

I thought my belly was smaller this time around but I guess that doesn't stop people from commenting  :|
    I'm so late in chiming in on this. It's been a crazy week. The mom to one of my clients asked me if I'm only expecting one baby, then proceeded to tell me how big my belly is. I almost wanted to give her a blank stare and ask her, "What are you talking about?" just to make her think she was making a comment about me being fat instead of pregnant. As far as I'm concerned, the only acceptable things that should be said to a pregnant woman are, "How are you feeling?" and, "You look great." 
  • kahlan82 said:
    @erinh84. Starting at 2 DS began going with me to the dentist (his suggestion). All they did was let him sit and watch what happemed to me, let him squirt water in my mouth and then give him a prize. At three, he looked at his teeth with a mirror. Nothing major, no cleaninf, just exposing him to the experience. We didnt start at 1.
    We did something similar. We really like our hygenist and dentist, so DS is coming with me. He just went for the third time yesterday and he just turned 4 (so the first time was at 3- that was based on what my dentist recommended). The first time he watched me, and let them look in his mouth quickly. The second time he let them count his teeth. This time, he actually sat back in the chair, had his teeth counted and brushed, and then let the dentist check them as well. Our pediatric dentists don't let you go back with your kids, and I knew that just wouldn't work for us. 
    Married my best friend May 24, 2008
    BFP #1 9/1/11, EDD 5/15/12, Missed M/C at 9w4d, discovered at 11w3d, D&C 11/2/11
    BFP #2 6/20/12, Baby Boy born 3/2/13
    BFP #3 October 2016, EDD 6/11/17
  • Loading the player...
  • Re: dentist and kids. We are going through this right now. My poor 5 year old. She uses a spin brush, flosses, rinses... And still has to be put under to get two caps and a couple minor cavities filled. I had horrible teeth when I was younger as well. My dentist also told me genetics have to do with it. I'm so nervous for my 2 year old. She is HORRIBLE at brushing. It's a fight every time so I know it's not getting done as good as it could be. She's been to the dentist once, and everything looked okay. But I get horrible anxiety every visit now. 

Mom to Madison- 5 and Lillian 2....and now surprise baby #3!
  • @FSUNole31 - My baby was soo crazy after drinking the drink! I thought he would dance right out of my tummy!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • CapricaAndreaCapricaAndrea member
    edited March 2017
    Mtnmommy said:

As far as I'm concerned, the only acceptable things that should be said to a pregnant woman are, "How are you feeling?" and, "You look great." 

Someone I met at work yesterday asked me "so whatcha got in there, a boy or a girl?" which isn't a terrible question, but I found was a very odd way of asking. 
  • Stankonia2014Stankonia2014 member
    edited March 2017
    Re: the dentist. DD3 is 2.5, she just had her first visit. I'm sure I'll get an eyeroll here given the UO thread, but she refuses to let me help her brush her teeth. They did a very basic cleaning, because she refused to let them help too. No x-rays, just getting her familiar with the process.

As a child I had horrible hygiene and didn't have a single cavity until I was in my 20's. Like @Mother0fDragons, I was pretty diligent with DD1, but she's had three cavities by age 10. I also chalk this up to genetics, but I also believe that flouride plays a role too. We have fluoride in our water system.
  • I didn't take my DD until she was about 3. We brush twice a day but that's about it and her teeth were cavity free. I really think genetics does play a huge part. She must get that from her dad though because my teeth are very cavity prone, regardless of my diligence with oral hygiene. 
  • @ashleyl31 I can't imagine not going back with your toddler.  Wonder what the reason for that would be? We've been to 2 different ped dentists and both had parents there and walked you through everything.  I can't imagine either of my kids going alone. 
  • Yea - I will be going to NO dentist, doctor, etc. that won't let me go back with my child.  NOT happening.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • JessyKV said:
    @ashleyl31 I can't imagine not going back with your toddler.  Wonder what the reason for that would be? We've been to 2 different ped dentists and both had parents there and walked you through everything.  I can't imagine either of my kids going alone. 
    I thought it was illegal to tell a parent they couldn't go back with their child. There was a huge legal issue about this fairly recently with a pediatric dentist telling parents they couldn't go back and then abusing the children. 

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/26969291/
  • Thanks for all of the feedback about the dentist everyone. I also didn't even think about genetics playing a role. My family, in general, has had horrible dental issues. I was adamant about always brushing/flossing growing up and I still had to have 2 root canals in my late teens. I'm actually calling the dentist here in a few minutes when they open to make DS an appointment. 
  • mrtmrt member
    I was going to comment on how weird it is that they won't let you go back with your kid. Definitely unsettling. Just don't get why. Our pediatric dentist wants parents be a part of the visit so they can talk to them about appropriate habits. In fact, we've only been in a room when during each of my kids first visits and when my 5 year old had to get a cavity filled. They have three stations in a large open area where they do most of the cleanings. This is nice because I can schedule both of my kids at the same time and still be there with both of them.
  • I wonder if the reason they take them back alone is that the kids react differently when alone. I'm not defending it, but I teach classes to 3 and 4 year-olds and we purposely have the parents stay back in the lobby for the first 10 minutes to watch an informational video.  The kids are always more cooperative when their parents aren't waving nervously at them. They cry and scream when they are separated from, but can see their parents during the beginning of the class. It would be weird at a doctor or dentist though. As a parent, I'd want to be there.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • Wino0920Wino0920 member
    edited March 2017
    Dentist/doctors don't let parents back because of sanitation reasons. It has to be very sterile to do certain work on their teeth. 

When my son had head surgery at 2, they only let us to certain point and then took him away. Was I supposed to go into surgery with him? No! 

My niece is need of major dental work right now. She won't brush her teeth (7 years old) and eats pure sugar and drinks pop all day. My sister and BiL won't give her the surgery because they can't be back with her. 
  • I hope my baby has her dad's genetics for dental health! I brush and floss and get tons of cavities. My husband went literally four years without going to the dentist and his teeth were fine. 
  • DH and I both have pretty good teeth, but we both had braces so I can't wait to pay for orthodontia (not that this discussion is about that just wanted to add it in)!  :s
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My random of the week, my 16 month old son is going thru a phase where he calls every man he sees dada. It's making for some interesting looks and comments. 
  • @Allybiery my son does this a lot too. Men are dada or papa depending on their ages unless he knows their names. I think hes just assumi g they are a daddy or a grandpa and doesnt think they are his dada and papa. It is funny at the grocery store when hes like hi dada to a stranger.
  • Allybiery said:
    My random of the week, my 16 month old son is going thru a phase where he calls every man he sees dada. It's making for some interesting looks and comments. 
    My son is also 16 months and does the same thing. My sons doctors assistant is a big black guy who used to be a linebacker for Texas A&M. DS calls him dada all the time. He just laughs and says "oh Lord honey wrong ethnicity, we're gonna end up on Maury." DS also tried to breastfeed on him when he was 4 months old. Haha good times.
  • JessyKV said:
    @ashleyl31 I can't imagine not going back with your toddler.  Wonder what the reason for that would be? We've been to 2 different ped dentists and both had parents there and walked you through everything.  I can't imagine either of my kids going alone. 
    They might let you with a toddler the first time, but after that, they don't. Not for routine cleanings at least. They might for procedures. I just feel better with my dentist I know and being there for everything. 
    Married my best friend May 24, 2008
    BFP #1 9/1/11, EDD 5/15/12, Missed M/C at 9w4d, discovered at 11w3d, D&C 11/2/11
    BFP #2 6/20/12, Baby Boy born 3/2/13
    BFP #3 October 2016, EDD 6/11/17
  • mrtmrt member
    @Wino0920 surgery is different than a dentist appointment/cleaning. Obviously I wouldn't go into surgery with my son, but I did walk him to the OR and he was never alone in a room with one adult that we barely know. 
  • HgPaHgPa member
    @CapricaAndrea That is such a weird way to phrase that. I think that if anyone asked me 'whatcha got in there' I'd have no ability to hold back the snark. I'd tell them I was having puppies or a velociraptor or something.
  • I have my glucose test in 2 hours.  I've had half a cup of coffee today with cream and sugar and those little egg bites from starbucks to eat and am currently eating some pistachios because I'm starving.  I just had to pass up a giant piece of cake from someone's retirement ceremony.  The struggle was real there.  Hopefully I pass my glucose test. 
  • I actually really hate the question about what I'm having. Before our anatomy scan I planned to be kind of a douche about it when people asked but I hate confrontation so I just answer or say I don't know if the person seems creepy. What I hate even more is people walking up to me and telling me what I'm having. Case in point:

Lady in Ross: "That's a boy."
    Me: "Nope, doc says girl."
    Lady: "No, boys grow like this (puts hands in front of belly) and girls grow like this (puts hands to side of belly) so that has to be a boy."
    Me: "Well, my daughter doesn't seem to care much about those rules and this is how she's growing."

How does someone presume to know more about my child's genitals than I do (and why oh why do people care so much) because my belly seems pointy instead of wide? 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Stankonia2014Stankonia2014 member
    edited March 2017
    I don't go back with any of my kids. We have an all-female clinic.  They never say you can't go back, they just prefer the children go back alone because children tend to be less anxious when parents aren't around.  Which is true in my DD's case, I went back to have her cavity filled, I was in the room with her, I'm super terrified of the dentist and though I did my best to conceal that, she could tell and got super nervous too. This was at a regular dentist, not a pediatric dentist, which I will also recommend over a family dentist. Most pediatric dentists can offer nitrous oxide for help with procedures, the family dentist we went to did not have nitrous. 
  • Allybiery said:
    My random of the week, my 16 month old son is going thru a phase where he calls every man he sees dada. It's making for some interesting looks and comments. 
    My daughter was almost 2 and held a guys hand who was in uniform because she thought it was daddy. Luckily it was at an frg meeting and it was a guy in my husband's company, not a random stranger. But she always double checks now lol. 

Mom to Madison- 5 and Lillian 2....and now surprise baby #3!
  • I can totally see kids acting better without parents around.  That just makes me nervous.  But I feel like surgery is a different animal.  

Also at the dentist we always seem to wait between seeing the hygienist and dentist and my 2 and 4 year old would probably not sit and wait alone.  

I rememebr going to the dentist and orthodontist alone as an elementary age kid.  Not sure how my mom handled it as a toddler.  We probably didn't go until we were older.  
  • Does anyone have an app or method they recommend for tracking kick counts? 
  • I got a 126 on my glucose test.  No idea if that's passing.  It was just posted in my chart online.  
  • Wearmi1 said:
    I got a 126 on my glucose test.  No idea if that's passing.  It was just posted in my chart online.  
    I believe under 140 is passing. 
  • What Stankonia said. I think you're in the clear.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • My dental genetics are insane. I've never had a cavity and let's just say I'm not the poster child for flossing etc. my hypothesis is that my mouth makes a lot of saliva
  • So I go to the brow salon to get my brows and lip waxed for my upcoming trip. Thanks so much sensitive skin, now my face is practically covered in hives! 
  • @swanbrooner I think from your ticker check-ins it sounds like you use Ovia? They have a kick counter under the calendar view. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • So I go to the brow salon to get my brows and lip waxed for my upcoming trip. Thanks so much sensitive skin, now my face is practically covered in hives! 
    I had the same thing happen to me - took over 24 hours for my skin to calm, and then got super dry. Not cool!
    Me 37, DH 40
    BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
    Mirena 10/14-5/16
    BFP #2 9/2/16, CP confirmed 9/8/16
    BFP #3 10/10/16 EDD 6/22/17
  • c1tym0m22 said:
    So I go to the brow salon to get my brows and lip waxed for my upcoming trip. Thanks so much sensitive skin, now my face is practically covered in hives! 
    I had the same thing happen to me - took over 24 hours for my skin to calm, and then got super dry. Not cool!
    Good thing I don't really have a life right now so I'm just gonna sit here in my bathrobe and hives
  • @meilay Thank you! I clearly missed that. 
    I had this happen to me once too! It was terrible because I had an event the next day and I looked terrible! I only get threded now cause I'm too scared to get waxed again. 
  • I just picked up a coffee on my way to a 6 hour childbirth class.  I don't drink much, but I'm prepared to be judged by all these other first time moms.