May 2017 Moms

The great vaccine thread

nda_roxybabenda_roxybabe member
edited February 2017 in May 2017 Moms
I figured since I feel like I kind of started it, I should start it for real. We're a good group here, I think we can do this!

Are you pro or anti vax?
Do you have any exceptions?
Do you think vaccines should be required by law in order for children to attend school?
Will you let your children play with non vaccinated children?

Anything else?
Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry

Re: The great vaccine thread

• Are you pro or anti vax? Very Pro
    Do you have any exceptions? No
    Do you think vaccines should be required by law in order for children to attend school? YES
    Will you let your children play with non vaccinated children? I am not going to ask people if they vaccinate their kids before going to a play date or playground, that seems a bit nuts. 

May '17 labor memes
  • Are you pro or anti vax? Pro!
    Do you have any exceptions? As I mentioned in Randoms I've never had a flu shot. I've always been unsure about Gardasil, but you guys brought up great points. In fact, the statements about religious families begin opposed, I think that is why I've been opposed. This is definitely something I will now consider having baby get when the time comes.
    Do you think vaccines should be required by law in order for children to attend school? Yes! I do think if it's a private school then it should be up to the school, but that's more along the lines of my whole thought on private institutions being allowed to remain private. Then again, in a weird way I feel like colleges should require this, but they're private. Hmm... For the most part: Yes!
    Will you let your children play with non vaccinated children? I did word this kind of weird. I'm not going to check every child/ parent before my kid plays with them, but I have an anti vax "friend" and I'm honestly hesitant about our children playing together. That may be more so just because we're not that close and I'm judgey AF about her woo ways and she's rudely judgey about evidence based stuff.

Anything else?
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh yes, I need to add that to the list of Q's to ask my pediatrician.
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • yes, the fear mongering. It's insane!
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • hp_momma said:

Do you think vaccines should be required by law in order for children to attend school? Absolutely. The "religious opt out" needs to be changed/fixed somehow as well. I can't tell you how many times parents marked that box simply because they didn't want to vaccinate. Extremely frustrating as a teacher and parent. And then those same parents were the ones who got pissed when there was a MMR outbreak at the district and all non-vaccinated children were required to stay home for 30 days... guess you should have thought about all the consequences! 
    Yes, absolutely agree! It's a horribly easy opt out.
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • hp_momma said:

Do you think vaccines should be required by law in order for children to attend school? Absolutely. The "religious opt out" needs to be changed/fixed somehow as well. I can't tell you how many times parents marked that box simply because they didn't want to vaccinate. Extremely frustrating as a teacher and parent. And then those same parents were the ones who got pissed when there was a MMR outbreak at the district and all non-vaccinated children were required to stay home for 30 days... guess you should have thought about all the consequences! 
    Yes, absolutely agree! It's a horribly easy opt out.
    I had to turn a fellow teacher into the district office once because she was encouraging parents to mark "religious opt out" because she too was anti-vax! Did I mention we worked in a special education preschool classroom with several immune suppressed students?! I was appalled and we clearly did not get along after that. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • BabyMC517BabyMC517 member
    edited February 2017
    Pretty much agree with what everyone has said and well because, science. 

Are you pro or anti vax? Pro

Do you have any exceptions? No, except medical reasons of course

Do you think vaccines should be required by law in order for children to attend school? While I believe everyone should have a choice in many things, I'm not sure this is one of them. You're putting other children at risk and I think that's wrong. 

Will you let your children play with non vaccinated children? Like PPs, I'm not going to go around asking every parent if they vaccinated their child, so they will play with them. 

ETA: changed "yes" to "pro" ...where was I when I posted earlier? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     "A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • Are you pro or anti vax? Very pro
    Do you have any exceptions? Basically only if a (pro-vax) doc says they cannot have it.
    Do you think vaccines should be required by law in order for children to attend school? Yes, with very, very limited exceptions. 
    Will you let your children play with non vaccinated children? I won't ask (and at school wouldn't have the opportunity), but if I knew I wouldn't be setting up any play dates with those children.

Anything else? For some reason this topic makes me really sad today rather than the normal rage I feel about it. I hadn't even thought to ask the pediatrician about their policy on vaccinations and think that it is probably not required at my son's doctor's office, since they ask "Are we doing vaccinations today?". 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20

• Are you pro or anti vax? Pro

Do 
    you have any exceptions? Medical reasons, but I've heard of people refusing because of nonsense reasons like their child will be traumatized by the needles...yes there was eye rolling. 

Do you think vaccines should be required by law in order for children to attend schoolYes. Schools are too much of a perfect storm of a situation to mess around with spreading serious illness that can usually be prevented or made less severe by getting a vaccine. 

Will you let your children play with non vaccinated children? Like PP, I'm not going to demand medical records but it would cause hesitation if your child isn't up to date or if I know my child isnt vaccinated yet as an infant. 

Anything else? NBR: My own personal soapbox is the age limit on the shingles vaccine. My insurance won't cover it until age 60. I had shingles in the first trimester of this pregnancy and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Even though I have had it the insurance still won't budge on coverage so here's hoping these next 30ish years are shingle-free. If it wasn't almost $300 I would suck it up and just go to the pharmacy (after baby arrives, of course). 
  • Ugh shingles. I had a few friends get it in HS and right after.
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Are you pro or anti vax? Very much pro. I will even judge delayed vaccinations simply because of choice. 
    Do you have any exceptions? I guess only if the doctor indicated there was a health risk to my child due to allergies, etc. 
    Do you think vaccines should be required by law in order for children to attend school? Absolutely. Only exception to those kids should be medical. 
    Will you let your children play with non vaccinated children? Not if I know they are not vaccinated. Before we moved, we used to be part of a playgroup and at one point I found out that there was a mom with non-vaccinated kid. We stopped going to any activities she put on and if I knew they were planning on attending, we would simply not go. A bunch of moms did that and she got super offended but hey, if not vaccinating her kids is her way of looking after her kids' health, not letting mine around her kids is my way. 
    Anything else? I just hate that this is even an issue. And I agree that shingles should be covered at a much younger age. Basically if there is a vaccine out there against something serious, it should be made part of preventive care. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• KipperooKipperoo member
    edited February 2017
    Are you pro or anti vax? Very pro.
    Do you have any exceptions? Nope. ETA: I do understand that some people cannot get vaccines for various MEDICAL reasons, in which case they should obviously be exempt. But situations like that make it even more important for the rest of the population to be vaccinated...
    Do you think vaccines should be required by law in order for children to attend schoolAbsolutely. All schools. And flying on planes, going to the mall, going to the playground...kidding, of course, but there are more places than schools for non-vaccinated people to spread disease. 
    Will you let your children play with non vaccinated children? I have never asked a parent if they vaccinate their children, it seems a little crazy. But I also know most/all of the children and families that my toddler plays with. He's not old enough to have much of an opinion about his friends, so I am friends with his friends' parents and I know them all well enough to know they are not anti-vaxers. 

Anything elseI mentioned this in the other thread, but it drives me crazy when people who are anti-vaccine don't take time to fully understand the science behind it. I think part of the fear stems from lack of critical thinking and problem solving skills, which is a whole separate conversation because I think that's the area that the education system needs to REALLY focus on so that we can have future generations that don't make dumb decisions based on misinformation and anecdotal evidence. Having a population filled with critical thinkers that know how to evaluate facts and evidence would solve SO many problems in our society...sigh.... 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @PghMom412 Agreed about the shingles vaccine! I have known so many people under 60 get it and it seems absolutely horrible. So sorry you got it while pregnant. That is just an extra layer of awful!
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20

• Are you pro or anti vax? yes!!! I am also one that judges those who do not vaccinate. Especially because a lot of the time they cite Facebook or other stupid articles as "scientific". 

Do you have any exceptions? As others have said only for an allergy with a doctors note. 

Do you think vaccines should be required by law in order for children to attend school? Hell yes! Get rid of the religious exclusion. You are hurting those that have an actual medical diagnoses and are unable to be vaccinated. All schools where lots of children congregate should be required by law that they have to be vaccinated. 

Will you let your children play with non vaccinated children? I also won't ask but if I find out play dates will be few and far in between. 

Anything else? There is a cycle every so many years where there is a big anti-vaccination movement and then lots of kids gets sick so the next generation is most pro-vaccination. Then it starts all over again. If you don't want to vaccinate come up with a solid argument not just one you read on social media or because a celebrity endorses it. Real scientific facts. 

• onebadmothaonebadmotha member
    edited February 2017
    Are you pro or anti vaxI could not be more pro. I am also anti alternative vax schedules. If you trust that doctors know which vaccines your child needs, you need to trust that they know how/when to give those vaccines. Just effing listen to your doctors. 

Do you have any exceptions? None, barring legitimate medical reasons

Do you think vaccines should be required by law in order for children to attend schoolYes, yes, yes. I don't think there should be a religious exemption. Don't get me wrong, I am very much a proponent of religious freedom and I respect sincere devotion to ones beliefs...so long as they do not harm others. 

Will you let your children play with non vaccinated childrenWhen they're little, I would not knowingly encourage it, but realistically won't ask their parents. 

Anything elseNope, just patiently waiting around for the anti-vaxxers to come out of the woodwork....

Edited for grammar- I get sloppy when I rant. 
    Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• Are you pro or anti vax? Staunchly pro.
    Do you have any exceptions?  No, unless it is a legitimate medical reason.
    Do you think vaccines should be required by law in order for children to attend school? Yes. I think they need to stop handing out religious exemptions, because in my experience, most exemptions are not religion based at all, but rather based on fear mongering and made up science. If you don't want to vaccinate, you should homeschool.
    Will you let your children play with non vaccinated children? I'm not asking people on the playground, but I tend to gravitate away from parents who I know are anti vax. DS is still pretty young when it comes to choosing friends and I've found that if the parents are agains vaccines, there isn't much else in life we are going to agree on either.

Anything else?
    It makes me so angry that this is even a point of contention. It feels like such a selfish first world problem to me, because there are so many people in other places in the world who would be lining up to get their children vaccinated. On a personal level, I have a BIL who is extremely anti vaccine while SIL works in the medical field. They have no children yet, but they are trying this year and I'm really interested/worried about what they will decide. (SIL has always been a bit of a pushover) I definitely won't be able to keep my mouth shut when the time comes.
  • hp_mommahp_momma member
    edited February 2017
    @WombThereItIs Exactly! Like you just feel like your non-medical degree justifies you deciding when to vaccinate? I wasn't aware high school now offered a class on vaccination schedules. Why don't we just let people start walking behind the pharmacy counter and deciding when/how much they should dose themselves... 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • @hp_momma if we ever end up at the same base oh boy do I have a PCM for you. He routinely suggests that anti vax parents go find new providers. 

May '17 labor memes
  • @hp_momma Me me! Although I really need more like North Phoenix or Scottsdale..
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • I was wondering the same thing. We may have scared them off from speaking up.
  • @PghMom412: I'm sorry to hear that you had shingles! Are you okay now? I know you said first tri, but any lingering issues from it? (Nosy, I know.)

@MoshiMoshi7: Yes to the first-world problem and people elsewhere lining up to get it. A good example is the polio vaccine. Once the vaccine was developed in the 1950s here in the U.S., the disease went from being the worst-feared childhood illness of that era to virtually nonexistent in our lifetimes (meaning, those of us on this board, like 20-to-40 years olds).

Wikipedia says:
    "Polio was eliminated in the Americas by 1994. The disease was officially eliminated in 36 Western Pacific countries, including China and Australia in 2000. Europe was declared polio-free in 2002. Since January 2011, there were no reported cases of the disease in India, and hence in February 2012, the country was taken off the WHO list of polio endemic countries. In March 2014, India was declared a polio-free country."

So, progress! And it's all thanks to the parents of those kids in the 1960s and 1970s who lined up for the vaccines---WITHOUT DEBATE---and got their kids immunized for the sake of themselves and the communities they lived in. Everyone pulled together, and the result is awesome: It's history-proven that vaccines work.

The problem today is that if 5% or 10% of parents (I'm just making that up, I have no idea what the real stats are---anybody else know?) don't keep their kids safe with vaccines, then the diseases never truly go away. They'll still exist, still creep back into circulation, and still keep making people sick for decades to come.

If there were an AIDS vaccine today, I'd make sure my child received it. Wouldn't it be great to tell our kids/grandkids someday that "in the 1980s/1990s/etc. there was this horrible virus that made people really sick and immunocompromised, and you can read about it in the history books, since it's no longer affecting people"? That can only happen if EVERYONE lines up to take the shot and eliminate the spread of the disease. Those few percentage holdouts only make the situation linger on.

I'm 100 % for personal choice, less gov't mandates, reduced political interference in health issues, all for abortion rights, allowing breast pumping at work, and so on. I can be all those things and still want schools to require vaccinations in order to attend. This is a Public Health Issue!

@MoshiMoshi7: Yes to homeschooling as a valid option: That is an acceptable consequence for not considering the well-being of your kids' classmates. 
  • I would think we MUST have some anti vaxxers, but a lot of reg's are accounted for so far.
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Thank you all for the shingles sympathy. @SKZW I still get phantom pain every once in a while. Luckily I was pregnant or silly me would have treated it with some neosporin or itch cream and it likely would have gotten much worse. It was kind of crazy as I was Dx on hubbys birthday. The meds to treat it are approved during pregnancy. I also had it on my torso and back which is apparently milder than getting it on the neck or face. I can't even imagine. 

We we ended up telling family about baby much earlier than planned because of having to explain the severity of having the shingles. Looking back, it's been nice to have that extra time celebrating this baby with our families and not having to keep it a secret. 
  • @PghMom412: Thx for the reply. That's a really nice way of looking at it  :smile:
  • Ugh, someone just posted in a FB mom group I'm in about how her 4 yo stopped getting vaccines and how does she get him into (public) school? Of course the first response is "Claim religious reasons!" Which has me thinking, what religions are against vaccines?
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • (@nda_roxybabe: this is totally a tangent off of your comment, which got me thinking)... and I admit, this is totally a crazy train of thought here, but if her son is unprotected, why would she willingly want to send him into the lion's den of germy-ness that is a school? Is it a mentality of "my kid won't ever get sick"? Would she also not care in 10 or 15 years if her son had sex without a condom to protect himself? (Did I just take that too far? I know it's not the same, but it's still related.)