May 2017 Moms
Options

The great vaccine thread

Re: The great vaccine thread

• Options
    @cclaineDC There has been a vaccine for chicken pox for quite some time now. I got it when I was a teenager because I had never had chicken pox. Fun fact though: The blood work from my first prenatal appointment suggested that I don't have immunity, so it either wasn't effective or it wore off over time, and I'll have to get it again as soon as I deliver (can't get it while pregnant because it contains a bit of the live virus, if I understand correctly).

This reminds me that I need to make sure H gets the vaccine and/or tested for immunity. He is convinced that he had chicken pox when he was younger even though he only had one "pock" :|

And now that I've said chicken pox so many times in my head it sounds really strange...what a weird thing.
  • Options
    I'm not much different than everyone else but I'll make sure my opinion is known. 

Are you pro or anti vax? 
    Pro
    Do you have any exceptions? Medical
    Do you think vaccines should be required by law in order for children to attend school? Yep with the exception of medical reasons
    Will you let your children play with non vaccinated children? I won't ask but if I do know it will impact my willingness to have play dates with them. 

Anything else:  we didn't do DD's first hep B in the hospital (at our hospital they give it rightness before discharge after birth), not for any reason just didn't get done so the plan wasn't to do it at her 2 day appt. As sleep deprived parents, at her 2 day appt we didn't even think about it (we had bigger concerns like no sleep and bleeding nipples lol) so she didn't end up getting it again. At her 2 month appt I went in all prepared for the vaccines and the first two thing they said was "oh your not vaccinating right?"  Umm yep give them all. WIth all the craziness of those first few days DD's chart got labeled as a anti-vaxer and it's now a permanent part of her "problem list". We are totally caught up and have been on schedule since but every time we go in we have to clarify because it still says we don't, two years later. 
                     imageimage
    Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    SKZW said:
    @L1C4gal: I'm also curious about what would happen if you got the booster nowadays. Erring on the side of supreme caution, maybe you could get it at a hospital(?), so you're in the presence of people that could immediately help, if help were needed. I also wonder if the formulation/preparation of the vaccines are different enough from 20 years ago that you'd not have a repeat reaction. Furthermore, as an adult, we process things so differently in our bodies that even the change in body mass alone probably would be another factor in how your body handles its reaction. In any case, I'm personally proud of you for having gone through such an ordeal and still following current medical protocol and getting your kids taken care of. It might be especially tough for you to watch. So props to you!
    @SKZW Those are all great points, and I agree that it would probably be very different today. I think they only "recently" (i.e. maybe in the past 10-15 years) released the adult/booster version, so I'm sure the formula has changed since the early 90s--as have I!  ;) I never really thought about it until we were thinking of trying to get pregnant, and I was actually going to set up an appointment to get advice and probably go ahead and get it (when at least H and I could monitor afterwards). But then this LO had other plans and surprised us a few months before we were going to start trying, so I didn't have the appointment and my OB recommended that I wait. I'll probably do it at some point after the kid is here and settled. Thanks for the encouragement! This is a good (and empowering) reminder to get it taken care of as soon as I can!
  • Options
    @L1C4gal: (off topic) I kind of love the bit about your starting to even think about getting pregnant and then you were! The timing of your little surprise is sweet.  :)
  • Options
    Thanks, @SKZW! :)
  • Options
    mdlorenzmdlorenz member
    edited February 2017
    L1C4gal said:
    @cclaineDC There has been a vaccine for chicken pox for quite some time now. I got it when I was a teenager because I had never had chicken pox. Fun fact though: The blood work from my first prenatal appointment suggested that I don't have immunity, so it either wasn't effective or it wore off over time, and I'll have to get it again as soon as I deliver (can't get it while pregnant because it contains a bit of the live virus, if I understand correctly).

This reminds me that I need to make sure H gets the vaccine and/or tested for immunity. He is convinced that he had chicken pox when he was younger even though he only had one "pock" :|

And now that I've said chicken pox so many times in my head it sounds really strange...what a weird thing.
    I may totally stand corrected but you were probably not tested for immunity to varicella (virus that causes chicken pox), but instead for rubella which is a standard prenatal test done at first OB visits (different virus BUT included in the same combo vaccine these days for kiddos, known as MMRV [for measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella]). In either case, you're right - the vaccine (whether MMR, MMRV, or varicella alone) is contraindicated during pregnancy (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pregnancy/hcp/guidelines.html) but you can get boosted postpartum while you're still in the hospital. How convenient. ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    livin541livin541 member
    edited February 2017
    I definitely don't want to be labeled as the rogue anti-Vaxxer in the group so I figured I'd better weigh in, although I have nothing new to add. 

Are you pro or anti vax? Pro!!
    Do you have any exceptions? Nope, just the usual medical reasons 
    Do you think vaccines should be required by law in order for children to attend school? absolutely 
    Will you let your children play with non vaccinated children? If I know someone doesn't vaccinate I will try my best not to spend time around them. 

Anything else? There is a local newborn photographer in town who is very vocally anti-vax on her personal Facebook page (to the point where she posts articles or videos almost daily) She also has 4 kids of her own under the age of 6. It blows my mind that she handles  people's less than 10 day old babies as her profession, when she has 4 unvaccinated little kids. So many of her clients probably have no idea! Even if the odds of anything happening are slim, I just find it irresponsible. 
  • Options
    I feel like we need @pshaortao to go through the spreadsheet and see who hasn't chimed in. They may be our anti vaxxers ;)

I'm pro just to busy to right now to weigh in...hehehehe
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-06/2014-EDD 02/16/2015
    Valentine boy born 02/14/2015
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks
    Surprise BFP-09/13/16 EDD 5/26/17

PitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My nurse SIL doesn't get the flu shot for herself or kid.  Her rationale:

1.  They never get the flu anyway (idiots).
    2. Kids have to get 2 flu shots and she doesn't have time for that (not true for shots after the first round).

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot - WTF? I'm not sure I'd be able to bite my tongue on either of those. Also, don't hospitals require their staff to get flu shots? My sister is a surgeon and has to get every vaccine under the sun, which I think is a great policy. 
    Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• Options
    hp_momma said:
    My nurse SIL doesn't get the flu shot for herself or kid.  Her rationale:

1.  They never get the flu anyway (idiots).
    2. Kids have to get 2 flu shots and she doesn't have time for that (not true for shots after the first round).
    You can get the flu shot at Target. She never goes to Target?! If she has no time for Target I feel bad for her haha 
    Right? And she lives in Minneapolis.  Targets on every corner!! 
    That might possibly be the only reason I would live in Minneapolis. 
    I currently live in land of Starbucks on every corner and I'd gladly trade them for a Target! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Options
    @kayemjay2  She doesn't work in a hospital or clinic setting anymore.  I didn't bite my tongue.  I told her (politely) that she was wrong and she dismissed it.  She's a speshul snowflake.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    Pro or anti?
    Very PRO!!!!!

Exceptions? 
    nope! Unless for medical reasons 

Do you think vaccines shills be required by law in order for children to attend school?
    YES!! Absolutely 

would you you let a child play with a non vaccinated child? 
    If knew that they didn't vaccinate I would not let my child play with them. But like most have said I'm not going around asking. 

#1 DD Aug 2014 @39weeks via CS

#2 Due May 2,2017 hopeful VBAC

• Options
    I feel like we need @pshaortao to go through the spreadsheet and see who hasn't chimed in. They may be our anti vaxxers ;)
    I am definitely pro.  Hahaha.  I just haven't had time to fill out the questionnaire!

no exceptions except medical. 

Required: yes except the exceptions (obviously)

play at with non-vax kids:  not if I know about it, although like others I'm unlikely to ask.
  • Options
    Are you pro or anti vax? Pro
    Do you have any exceptions? Medical..allergy..
    Do you think vaccines should be required by law in order for children to attend school? Yes
    Will you let your children play with non vaccinated children? Yes, not going to police that. I think If I know for sure then i'd avoid them but I wont ask. 

Anything else? I've never had a flu shot. 
  • Options
    L1C4gal said:

I didn't realise they tested for chicken pox? I'm pretty sure I was only tested for rubella immunity (for which I am immune! Apparently) hmm... going to go find my discharge paperwork from having DS and check now
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • Options
    I also didn't realize they tested for immunity to chicken pox, or immunity of any kind. I definitely had chicken pox as a kid-- my mother has humiliating photographic evidence of 3 y/o me covered in calamine lotion sprawled out on a spectacular early-1980s sofa--  so I'm not too worried about getting it again. But I am kind of afraid of getting shingles and giving chicken pox to the LO that way. I have a friend who got shingles during month 8. That's cutting it close. Hope nobody on this BMB has to go through that!
  • Options
    Reading these, I am glad to see everyone is so pro-vax. I actually don't think it's that big of a deal when people don't get the flu shot. I think they are fools not to, but because the flu shot isn't even that effective it's not like getting it does that much for the greater good / herd immunity. And given that it only has so much impact, I don't think it's that bad for people to pass. Plus the flu is seldom lethal unlike some of the other things we get vaccinations for. That said, everyone in my family will always get the flu shot. One year DH didn't get around to getting it, but DS and I did. I was newly pregnant with DD when DH got the flu. He felt like a moron for not having gotten his shot. Then I got the flu as well. I felt like hell and was worried because I had a fever and was very early in my pregnancy, but as it turned out my case was not as bad as DH's. I think this was because I had gotten the shot. And luckily DS escaped the disease altogether. So even though I was in the "I got the shot and STILL had the flu!" category of people, I think the shot actually helped. I'll always get it.

• Options
    We had to "delay" with my first because the ACA had just rolled out and there were still lots of kinks and we couldn't find anyone who would take our insurance.  I had to call clinics over 2 hours away and still was told that our insurance wasn't accepted and they wouldn't accept OOP patients.  It was ridiculous.  It actually took my son getting very sick with GERD before we got him in somewhere and he was able to catch up after that.  Luckily we did not encounter this with my second.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    @L1C4gal funny, I had a similar result to my reaction. I didn't really have to relearn to walk but I had such bad spasms in my leg it couldn't support my weight anymore.  I couldn't sleep well, either, because if the spasms.

@SKZW I can't speak for L1C4gal, but in my case they were actually able to isolate what caused my reaction.  When I was 12 I got my first booster after my reaction because the ingredient had been removed from vaccines.  Or at least there was one available without it.  It had something to do with a vaccine that used to be live but is now inactive.  I don't really remember the details because I was 12.  But I got the booster at school, actually.  Then I was sent right back to class.  No caution taken.  And have since gotten the TDAP 4 times and even Gardisil.  No problems! Although, I had back spasms for 9 months after getting an epidural, but I don't think it's related.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    sarah0985sarah0985 member
    edited February 2017
    Chiming in late as usual! Not gonna cause drama (and I find it very hard to believe we have ZERO anti-vaxxers but that just follows our theme; ZERO DRAMA ON MAY 2017. Haha)

Are you pro or anti vax? Very Pro. But I do believe in research and asking questions. (ETA. Not google and blogs. Asking doctors and reading medical studies. I respect doctors but they are human and mistakes can be made so I advocate questioning everything. Not arguing and doubting everything. Just asking why and for reasons of things are done differently or if things don't make sense to me)

Do you have any exceptions? Medical reasons 

Do you think vaccines should be required by law in order for children to attend school? Personally yes.
    Devils advocate though I have a hard time advocating for it politically. As women, we can't exactly demand that the government stays out of OUR bodies but we allow them in others. Of course there's the argument that it benefits society but that argument can be applied to the women's bodily debate as well; regardless of whether you actually agree with the standpoint it can be argued. Again, not my viewpoint but if you're going to debate, any good debate needs to be viewed from both sides. 

Will you let your children play with non vaccinated children? I don't think I'll go around asking who is vaccinated and who is not

Anything else? I have a funky immune system. I don't have a diagnosis but it's just strange and any doctor I've been to to look into it, can't find a reason why my body acts th way it does. . I don't get minor sicknesses often but I've had chicken pox multiple times, wasn't immune to rubella even after 2 MMR, have had molluscum contagiosm (a pox skin virus that usually clear up in most instances in no more than 18 months and usually only in children) for 7 years even after repeated treatments, oral thrush as an adult, as well as multiple serious skin infections (staph twice and ecoli on my skin once)

I have no diagnosed proof that I have a problem but history has shown that my immune system is a little flawed.  people even without diagnosed reasons need herd immunity when clearly their immune systems don't function typically. 

Also, I side-eye anyone that says they won't get their kids the gardisil vaccine. My children will get it. After both my sister and I have had leep procedures done due to abnormal cells, I would 100% give my child the advantage to avoid that and of course, possibly CANCER!!!! 
    Dont be naive. You can believe all you want that your child won't have premarital sex and/or will be 100% safe if they do. But you cannot believe that their spouse and/or partners will 100% be safe and clean. Even if your child waits till marriage and has one partner their entire lives, doesn't mean their spouse will as well. And let's be honest, our children will be their own people that make their own decisions. I can guarantee you my parents wish I hadn't made some of the decisions I made but even with a good upbringing, I did. I hope my child won't NEED the gardisil vaccine benefits but that's not a risk I'm willing to bet their health on.

I won't even get deep into my tangent of "it will make them have unprotected sex" bullshit.
    If you think a vaccine will do that, you've failed horribly as a parent/educator on the sex-education and conversation topic already and I can't debate with you. If people are going to have unportected sex, they're going to do so with or without a vaccine. 
    If anything, please use the gardisil vaccine as a jumping point for proper and real sex education. Is this a vaccine against CERTAIN cancers? Yes. Is it a vaccine against all stds and pregnancy? NO! If you aren't comfortable doing this, seek out a health Ed teacher, a doctor, a counselor at planned parenthood to help you. 
    Using any excuse to not get gardisil outside health reasons is just as insane as those avoiding MMR and any other vaccine. Undocumented fear mongering. 

TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • Options
    @sarah0985 I also want to chime in on the gardisil discussion. I got it when it first came out when it was only recommended for girls, I think I was 13 or 14 at the time, my mum made me get it because she had cervical cancer that was caused by HPV... anyway, at the time, I didn't and I don't know anyone that did actually know what the vaccine was for, we knew it was for HPV and we knew HPV could cause cervical cancer, but we didn't know it was an STD and actually didn't until health class many years later, so I think that needs to be taken into account when thinking about your kids getting it, that they likely won't know what it's for, I think it was given at the same time as the chicken pox booster. But it's not like you need to explain the in depth details of every vaccine your child is given to them, I didn't explain the measles to my 18 month old, nor rubella or diphtheria to him when he was 6 weeks.

But anyway that's just my 2c.
    TL;DR it can't encourage unprotected sex if they don't really know what the vaccine is for.
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • Options
    @partiallydomesticated I agree completely but these are actual reasons why some people defend not getting their children this vaccine. So my counterpoint is to them. I don't intend to go in depth into why my child is getting vaccines with them but if they're of a curious nature and ask questions I would hope I would use it as an opportunity to discuss age appropriate topics with them. I don't know what the current age range is to receive gardisil as I was much older when it came out. 
    TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • Options
    Definitely late to the party, the thread got too long but now I'm sitting here at the lab with plenty of time on my hands..

I am pro vaccines, obviously there are medical exceptions. Yes school's should require them! I think my son's daycare requires it because they make me give them paperwork after every shot? As far as not letting my children play with unvaccinated kids, it's pretty hard to make sure that happens as they get older. When my son was under the age of 1 we tried to keep him away from certain family members and their kids who are not vaccinated. 

I am a nurse so obviously required to get a flu shot every year and I probably gave about 200 shots this year to employees. I think it's funny how scared some people are of the pain. A lot of people don't get the shot just based on fear of the pain, which is funny. One woman came to me a day or two after her shot and was extremely worried about her arm being sore and if I used a dirty needle or something... I still laugh in my head when I see her. 

• Options
    I'm late to this party but figured I'd chime in. I'm so happy to see so many Pro vaxers! Though I find it very hard to believe that there isn't a person that's anti-vax in this group.

Are you pro or anti vax? 
    Pro. Very much pro
    Do you have any exceptions? Legit medical reasons of course. And I typically don't do the flu shot because a) I question its effectiveness b) I'm usually sick when it's available every year anyways. I will get it next year though, seeing as I will have a very young one at home that I'd rather not risk passing the flu on to. 
    Do you think vaccines should be required by law in order for children to attend school? I have a hard time with this because of my conflicting feelings. Part of me says yes absolutely and the other part of me thinks it encroaches on a parents ability to make decisions for their child (however much I disagree with said decision)
    Will you let your children play with non vaccinated children? Before my little one is fully vaccinated I'll defineitly be weary of who they are around. That being said a close family member of mine does not vaccinate their children so to say I'll never let my wee one around an unvaccinated child would not be realistic. 

------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 26 DH: 28  
    TTC #1 since 06/2014
    BFP #1 09/23/15. MMC discovered 11/24/2015
    BFP #2 08/24/16 EDD 05/08/17

• Options
    Do you have any exceptions? I'm hesitant about new vaccines that haven't been out long. I don't really care if other people get vaccines for things that aren't life-threatening. I only got the flu vaccine this year, because I'm pregnant. Usually, I just skip it. 
    Do you think vaccines should be required by law in order for children to attend school? Yes, for life-threatening diseases, barring a reason the person can't be. Obviously, some children's can't safely have them. 
    Will you let your children play with non vaccinated children? I wouldn't ask parents about this, unless my kid had a medical condition that prevents him from getting vaccines. 

• Options
    I'm pro. 

I think you would be surprised at how at how many people that do a modified schedule consider themselves Pro Vax. When you do a modified schedule I think you are still categorized as the religious exemption for school. When I was pregnant with my first, i was shocked at the amount of students I had that had the religious exemption in my 2nd grade class. I would have never expected it spending time teaching their kid all year. 25% of my class! I could be wrong but if you turn in that documentation then daycares/schools take you just like you are a regular Vax. 
  • Options
    kaley04 said:
    I'm pro. 

I think you would be surprised at how at how many people that do a modified schedule consider themselves Pro Vax. When you do a modified schedule I think you are still categorized as the religious exemption for school. When I was pregnant with my first, i was shocked at the amount of students I had that had the religious exemption in my 2nd grade class. I would have never expected it spending time teaching their kid all year. 25% of my class! I could be wrong but if you turn in that documentation then daycares/schools take you just like you are a regular Vax. 
    Yes, you can enroll with a religious exemption. That's a huge problem for me. I guarantee a vast majority of the "religious exempt" students are using that as an excuse, not for the intended purpose. I find it very hard to believe that 25% of most classroom populations fall under these religions! 

The only religions that have an actual objection to vaccinations are: 
    • Church of Christ, Scientist – One of the basic teachings of this denomination is that disease can be cured or prevented by focused prayer. Christian Scientists usually decline all forms of medical intervention, including vaccination.
    • Dutch Reformed Congregations – This denomination has a tradition of declining immunizations. Some members decline vaccination on the basis that it interferes with divine providence. However, others within the faith accept immunization as a gift from God to be used with gratitude.
    • Faith healing denominations including:
      • Faith Tabernacle
      • Church of the First Born
      • Faith Assembly
      • End Time Ministries
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Options
    Do you have any exceptions?  No
    Do you think vaccines should be required by law in order for children to attend school? Yes
    Will you let your children play with non vaccinated children? I'm not going to ask if they are vaccinated as some kind of prerequisite. But my older two are at the age where they are finishing up a lot of the vaccinations that they will need so if I find out some of their friends are not getting vaccinated I will probably put some distance there especially with a newborn.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options

Do you have any exceptions?  Not personally. I believe we have a serious responsibility to be vaccinating our kids, especially to help protect the kiddos with compromised immune systems and other health issues that prevent them from being able to vaccinate

Will you let your children play with non vaccinated children
    ? I'm not going to ask every single kid/Mom on the playground about vaccinations. But if I know someone is against them, I won't be quick to schedule a play date. It came to my attention after my second was born that my photographer was anti-vax. I'd taken my newborn to her home to be photographed. I was not happy. Needless to say, she is no longer our photographer.
  • Options
    @mdlorenz @cclaineDC @PartiallyDomesticated Sorry for the late response--went out of town for the weekend and just now catching up! I'm pretty sure they specifically said chicken pox (although I imagine they tested for immunity to other things as well) because they asked if I had had it and it made me think about how H may not have had it. But it was just a quick exchange as I was walking out of my appointment (my OB forgot to bring it up during), so who knows--I could have misinterpreted. I'll have to ask at my next appointment!
  • Options
    @L1C4gal Totally possible! We are testing for more and more things these days. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------