May 2017 Moms
Options

Wisdom from 2+ moms... how to handle a newborn & toddler

13»

Re: Wisdom from 2+ moms... how to handle a newborn & toddler

• Options
    @kayemjay2 Look into the IKEA expandable beds! They expand out to three different lengths with the longest being a full twin length. You buy the mattress from IKEA and just add the extra pieces when your ready to extend the bed. 
    That being said, we transitioned DD1 into a regular twin bed at 2 with a side rail. She did fine in it. Now that we have transitioned DD2 out of the crib the girls share a room but the room isn't large enough for two twin beds. So we got them both IKEA beds, DD1 is at full length (mainly because we already had a mattress) and DD2 is in the smallest length which gives us so much more space in the room. The bed is the same width as a twin size bed, so plenty of room for me to sit next to her it's just not as long af the moment! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Options
    @hp_momma - I was actually just browsing the Ikea website and came across the expandable beds! Seems like a genius idea, definitely something we'll consider. I think we'll eventually have the boys share a room when they are a bit older, and go with bunk beds eventually. I think it's good for kids to share a room, and I always loved having bunk beds with my sister :)
    Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @kayemjay2 My girls love sharing a room, it's so fun to hear them talking before they go to sleep at night! Bunk beds definitely save more floor space, but currently we live in a historic home and the ceilings are definitely too low! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • Options
    @kayemjay2 be careful though about transitioning older LO move at the same time baby moves into crib. Your LO might have an attachment or even feeling of ownership he's not ready to give up. (Even though big bed is "mine" that little bed is "mine" too!) If possible give him time to adjust to the new bed before baby gets the crib. No personal experience, just based on things I've read. I'm not there yet (baby's rooming with us in bassinet at first and we may move around 3 months, so we're holding off on a big bed until we know the plan). 
  • Options
    @kayemjay2 be careful though about transitioning older LO move at the same time baby moves into crib. Your LO might have an attachment or even feeling of ownership he's not ready to give up. (Even though big bed is "mine" that little bed is "mine" too!) If possible give him time to adjust to the new bed before baby gets the crib. No personal experience, just based on things I've read. I'm not there yet (baby's rooming with us in bassinet at first and we may move around 3 months, so we're holding off on a big bed until we know the plan). 
    Eh, I moved DD1 about 2 months before DD2 was born with no jealousy issues (she was 22 months old) and I just transitioned DD2 out of the crib to set up in the new nursery last month (she will be 3 in March). Neither of my kids had an issue, but I think you have to play it by ear depending on your kids temperament! 
    I'm super excited though that I've only ever had to buy 1 crib for all 3 of my kids! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14