July 2017 Moms
Options

Weekend Randoms 1/21

Re: Weekend Randoms 1/21

• Options
    I'm cleaning out the closets and storage to donate a bunch of stuff to the Haitian refugees in Mexico. My MIL takes stuff down there all the time and they're in desperate need of diapers and formula and clothes. I'm thrilled to help them and also get rid of a bunch of stuff we don't use or wear anymore! 
  • Options
    You guys can side eye me all you want on sushi and cold cuts, etc. I don't mind!! I just become much more selective when pregnant about where I eat it from. Non-pregnant id probably eat sushi from a gas station. 
    I don't know where you are and where your sushi fish come from but I read that a pretty invasive tapeworm was found in salmon caught in Alaska so we should avoid raw and undercooked salmon as much as possible. FYI be careful!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We got up and out the door to head over to the March but we couldn't actually get downtown! I probably could've if we had the whole day, but one of my bff's daughter was having her bday party - and her daughter and my daughter are bffs too. So... I'm really disappointed and sad we couldn't go. 
  • Options
    @supermom83 that is so hard with your mom. Big hugs. 
    EDD: 13/07/2017
    PAIF/PgAL
  • Options
    @satsumasandlemons FYI, if you cook salmon at home, freezing the fish for a few days will kill tapeworms. 
  • Options
    @supermom83 oh no! That is really rough. And worse in the early stages when the person knows that they are forgetting things and doesn't want to admit it's happening. Keeping you guys in my thoughts. There are medications like Aricept, that can help maintain memory and slow progression but it is controversial if they are very effective. 

For those who who have traded in at Babies R Us, what type of things can you trade in? Is it big ticket items only? 
  • Options
    I'm with @dancegurl1118. Give me all the cold cuts and sushi (from upstanding respectable places). This ain't my first rodeo and I'm smart about it. I was all worry wart last time, but I was a FTM. I never thought I'd ever say this, but you really do relax that much more when you have your second. 
  • Options
    We got up and out the door to head over to the March but we couldn't actually get downtown! I probably could've if we had the whole day, but one of my bff's daughter was having her bday party - and her daughter and my daughter are bffs too. So... I'm really disappointed and sad we couldn't go. 
    I had some friends that went to DC for the march. The videos and pictures of the lines just to get INTO the Metro stations are insane! 
    Married: 10/13/2013
    TTC #1: Mirena removed 5/26/2015; DH - normal SA, me - diagnosed with PCOS 8/4/2016 - on Metformin; BFP - 10/29/2016!!!, EDD - 7/8/2017; DD born 6/29/2017
  • Options
    Omg @lamphele is there a way to ban her from your room?! That's really upsetting! 
  • Options
    @supermom83 that's definitely some heavy stuff to deal with. While I'm glad your siblings are taking it seriously it doesn't make it any less stressful or scary. Hang in there. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    Just went to go see La La Land. It was so great. I normally get bored in movies so I rarely see them (I prefer books), but this was so wonderful. Bless DH's heart for going with me since I didn't tell him it was basically a musical. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  I've called down a lot now since I've had a day to relax.  I was just so over everything yesterday.  The sub was horrible,  the kids acted very badly, and the one thing that helped me make it through the day,  my bag of jalapeño cheetos, was stolen by one of my students. Yesterday was just a terrible, horrible,  no good,  very bad day!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    oheliza44oheliza44 member
    edited January 2017
    Today has been a tad overwhelming. My mom is having trouble remembering what day it is, she's talking about things that happened 3-4 years ago as if they're current. She doesn't seem to have a handle on her memory. I've suspected Alzheimer's for a while now, but my siblings didn't believe me, and today they finally saw what I was talking about. She lives alone and is fiercely independent and very stubborn. Two of my sisters already booked flights for tonight and are flying over to help her and bring her here to the Washington DC area since 3 out of the 5 of us siblings live in this area and can help take care of her. 

I expect my mom is going to give them a really hard time, and I don't know what is going to happen. It's all very overwhelming, though comforting to know that my siblings and I will all work together. 
    Thinking of your family today, @supermom83. My mom and aunt are caring for my grandfather who also has dementia so I know firsthand how tough this can be fo a family. Wishing you guys a smooth transition. 

Edit- because of autocorrect. 
  • Options
    We were house hunting---saw 5 houses (we're house shopping--nothing yet), and then we went to walmart. I was hoping to find good maternity stuff in store---I was just excited at the idea of a store with clothes in store, but nothing.
  • Options
    @supermom83 Keeping your mom and family in my thoughts. Alzheimers is such a rough disease. Although I haven't had a lot of first hand experience with it, my great grandfather suffered with it for many years before I was born and my husband's great uncle has "dementia" but really I think it's full blown Alzheimer's. He doesn't talk anymore, he doesn't seem to recognize anyone, it's progressed really fast and it's so sad to see him at family events now, because he is just so not there. It's so good to hear that you have siblings to help with this. Creepy internet hugs to you and your family in this difficult time. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Options
    lamphele said:
    Yesterday was my first day back at work after my bed rest.  I'm a teacher and my sub messed up my classroom and I ended up in tears by the end of the day. She rearranged the classroom (which I can fix), but it took me 45 minutes to find my pencil sharpener, which I'm pretty sure is broken since it was shoved in a cubby. She broke my candy container, which was a gift from a previous student, put my books (that I had hidden as gifts for my students) out on my shelf so the kids have used and ripped them. My yeti cup is missing and she busted into my locked cabinet and took out some plastic containers I didn't want used and now their handles are broken. My trash can is gone!  She used all my special incentive stickers that I had tucked away (they were only for 100 on tests), opened my brand new package of grading pens that were in my locked cabinet and now half are gone,  and returned the toys I had been given as gifts this year to the students. I had a really cute pencil set my husband had given me that said things like "I love you like..." "Hermione loves books, " "Dobby loves socks," "Ron loves  Quiditch" ect. They were in a cute paper display.  She threw away the display and sharpened/used/lost them.  I only have two used ones left,  the rest are gone.  Oh and one of my kids was out for a week for medical reasons and she threw away all his stuff including all his GT work because she assumed he wasn't coming back.  

Sorry for the novel,  but I just can't believe someone would do all that. 
    What hell? I would absolutely get a hold of that woman! Sounds like nothing but disrespect and like she thought she owned the place. NOT a subs place to do ANY of that! Anyway you can report her?
  • Options
    lamphele said:
    Yesterday was my first day back at work after my bed rest.  I'm a teacher and my sub messed up my classroom and I ended up in tears by the end of the day. She rearranged the classroom (which I can fix), but it took me 45 minutes to find my pencil sharpener, which I'm pretty sure is broken since it was shoved in a cubby. She broke my candy container, which was a gift from a previous student, put my books (that I had hidden as gifts for my students) out on my shelf so the kids have used and ripped them. My yeti cup is missing and she busted into my locked cabinet and took out some plastic containers I didn't want used and now their handles are broken. My trash can is gone!  She used all my special incentive stickers that I had tucked away (they were only for 100 on tests), opened my brand new package of grading pens that were in my locked cabinet and now half are gone,  and returned the toys I had been given as gifts this year to the students. I had a really cute pencil set my husband had given me that said things like "I love you like..." "Hermione loves books, " "Dobby loves socks," "Ron loves  Quiditch" ect. They were in a cute paper display.  She threw away the display and sharpened/used/lost them.  I only have two used ones left,  the rest are gone.  Oh and one of my kids was out for a week for medical reasons and she threw away all his stuff including all his GT work because she assumed he wasn't coming back.  

Sorry for the novel,  but I just can't believe someone would do all that. 
    I'd be so pissed. What the hell was she doing?!
  • Options
    @theweevee hmm maybe it's time I invest in one then! I'm also usually a stomach sleeper although sometimes a side sleeper. But lately I just can't seem to get comfortable and always wake up with neck pain and occasionally headaches from the neck pain. Maybe the snoogle will help my alignment?

@lamphele I'm glad your principal is taking it seriously! I don't even understand, did the sub trash your room on purpose or was she really just that clueless?

@supermom83 I'm sorry, I can only imagine how tough that must be.  I'm glad your siblings are at least taking it seriously now, that will help if you can all be in agreement about what to do next.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    @theweevee I've been eyeing the snoogle. The reviews seem so mixed so I've held off. I always fall asleep on my left side anyway but tend to roll onto my back at night. Right now I put a pillow between my knees but my back is kind of achy. 

Did you find the cover it came with soft enough or did you buy one of the replacement covers?
  • Options
    @OperaSingerMommy The march was great!  We had unseasonably nice weather today (60s and sunny in January whaaaaat?) so the turnout was about 3x what was expected at 15,000.  Everyone was so positive and peaceful.  It was refreshing to see.

@supermom83 I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Both of my grandmothers had Alzheimer's and I know how stressful/sad it can be.  I'm glad to hear your siblings are able to help and formulate a plan.  Hugs to you and your family.
    Me: 31 DH: 31
      <3 DS born 6/2017, became a heart angel 8/2018 <3
    CP 3/2019
  • Options
    Today my little boy turned one! I can't believe how quickly this year has gone. It's been so great and he loved his party. I'm so sore after being on my feet all day! 

@lamphele I complained a ton about a teacher I shared a room with using (losing) my favorite correcting pen. Singular. I can't imagine how you must have felt! I'm so glad your principal took it seriously. 

@supermom83 What a tough time for you and your family. I hope your sisters are able to bring your mom to DC without too much difficulty. I realize that's only the first step in a long process... I'm sorry :(

• Options
    @manillabar that was my exact problem - and it helps me.  I do have broad shoulders though and I could see someone with less broad shoulders thinking it was a little too much padding on one side.  I think the other end has less padding though.

@Twinkiedoll I'm ok with the jersey cover.  It's not great, but it's ok.  Our usual sheet should are percale (so they're more crisp than soft) and I think the cover is softer than our sheets.
  • Options
    @SpongeWorthy So glad you had a positive experience!  I'm also glad that it seems like everything stayed peaceful and safe across the board.  I had friends marching far and wide and I'm glad everyone got home safely.

I had another event today that happened to be all women and we all commented on how today felt empowering and all about girl power!  So of course I've been singing Spice Girls all day:
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all so much for all your wonderful support. It definitely feels overwhelming thinking about what is to come in regards to my mom, but we're all trying to take it one step at a time. She may end up coming to stay with me for a while till we figure out what to do and what we need for her care. She's 76 years old and a very heavy chain smoker. I love my mother and would do absolutely anything for her, but I can't lie and say that dealing with her is beyond frustrating because of her smoking and her very stubborn "mean old lady" demeanor. She's gotten worse with age, and last time she came to visit me for a month, I thought I was going to lose my mind. I hope my sisters can bring her here safely and quickly. 
  • Options
    chiquita928chiquita928 member
    edited January 2017
    I'm afraid to post the same meme as @virginiaunicorn11 did a little while ago related to a similar situation, so let's try this one:

edited for clarity
  • Options
    I've actually made the decision to take a step back from FB. I realized yesterday that every time I scrolled through my feed it made me more agitated, more stressed, and more sad. Between the news articles, the comments by some FB friends on them, and the general sadness (most of my FB friends are of the same mindset as me), it was starting to take a toll on me. I even went as far as to take the app off my phone. It's not that I want to not know what's going on in the world...it's that I can't emotionally handle it right now. Luckily, another women's online group I'm part of made a separate Politics board so the main board isn't cluttered and I don't have to see the threads. I also uninstalled Twitter (which I don't use that often anyway). 
    Married: 10/13/2013
    TTC #1: Mirena removed 5/26/2015; DH - normal SA, me - diagnosed with PCOS 8/4/2016 - on Metformin; BFP - 10/29/2016!!!, EDD - 7/8/2017; DD born 6/29/2017
  • Options
    I made the poor decision of engaging in fb drama at 8am. I never do that. I usually just keep scrolling with my eyes rolling out of my head. BUT I COULDNT HELP IT. 

Someone posted like that women's march was based on an entitlement generation and that no one deserves anything based on their gender. I was figuratively asking someone to hold my earrings as I typed out my reply. 

I know that everyone doesn't share the same views, and the March was not representative of all women (what viewpoint is???) but unless you're going to maybe do a minisecond of research to understand a movement's basis, DONT WRITE CHECKS YOUR ASS CANT CASH. 

Ok I promise I'm done. I just....I can't....not today Satan. 
    I restrained myself from similar responses.  I'm too non-confrontational.  But I was fuming in my mind!
  • Options
    @lfk2013 I'm going to do this. I need to take a step back. 
  • Options
    @dancegurl1118 one of my cheerleaders, a 16 year old kid mind you, was attacked for posting something about the inauguration, she's very pro Trump, and I unleashed. Especially because the person bashing her and giving facts kept posting fake news articles! I have always been respectful of people's opinions, when you take political science classes you learn to deal with it all, so I enjoy a meaningful debate and anyone who can back their position up with coherent and legit sources is fine by me, but my goodness that girl was just spewing random "facts" that she found on random news sites. I couldn't control myself.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married: 05/26/2012

DS Born Happy and Healthy via C-section: 10/04/2013

Natural M/C: 07/08/2014

DD Born Happy and Healthy via Emergency C-section: 06/30/2015

BFP #4: 11/15/2016

EDD: 7/27/2017

• Options
    I'm away on a girls weekend with my friends from high school who also ended up in the US for work (we all grew up together in Munich) so haven't been able to keep up with everything online.

just wanted to say how sorry I am @supermom83 - what you are going through is so incredibly hard. I'm glad your family is coming together and supporting each other through this. 

@dancegurl1118 I've gotten into political arguments during election season on fb (a second cousin of mine posted some atrocious things about Hillary and I got mad and had to respond (I like to think I was polite although not 100% sure about that)...now that inauguration is over I'm taking the "stepping away"approach at least for now. 
  • Options
    cssme13 said:
    @dancegurl1118 one of my cheerleaders, a 16 year old kid mind you, was attacked for posting something about the inauguration, she's very pro Trump, and I unleashed. Especially because the person bashing her and giving facts kept posting fake news articles! I have always been respectful of people's opinions, when you take political science classes you learn to deal with it all, so I enjoy a meaningful debate and anyone who can back their position up with coherent and legit sources is fine by me, but my goodness that girl was just spewing random "facts" that she found on random news sites. I couldn't control myself.
    So curious in light of trump's claims there were "millions" at the inauguration - can you clarify for me if the cheerleader was a trump supporter and the person bashing her was anti-trump? And what kind of fake news was it? 
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    @Twinkiedoll and @theweevee this is also worth looking into for tumy and back sleepers, also great for side. The greatest thing about it is that when you turn over, you don't have to flip the pillow with you, so no fighting with pillow or blankets. It is on the bigger size, but both hubby and I fit in bed comfortably with it. It also comes at 39.00, not 84.99 like bb&b charges.

Edited to add link https://m.bedbathandbeyond.com/m/product/leachco-reg-back-n-39-belly-chic-pregnancy-support-and-feeding-pillow-in-taupe-rings/1017322095?skuId=17322095&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_bedding_&adpos=1o1&creative=43742631709&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&product_id=17322095&gclid=CP6So8q41tECFUSSfgodhMQFWg
  • Options
    cssme13cssme13 member
    edited January 2017
    cssme13 said:
    So curious in light of trump's claims there were "millions" at the inauguration - can you clarify for me if the cheerleader was a trump supporter and the person bashing her was anti-trump? And what kind of fake news was it? 
    Cheerleader is a Trump supporter, person bashing her is anti-trump and was just nasty. Like I said disagreeing is fine and providing proper sources for disagreements is great but telling someone they are stupid and wrong because you can quote a satirical news site is not acceptable. It escalated to the point where non Trump supporter suggested the cheerleader be a victim of sexual assault then her views might change. 

Edit to add that she posted a couple articles from a satirical site that any person with common sense could see were for pure entertainment purposes, I went back to see which one exactly but she deleted all her comments.

• Options
    My weekend rant: heating oil went up 35 cents since the last time I filled the tank, and I accidentally let it get a lot lower this time, so the bill is going to be way higher than normal :-1: It's gone up 75 cents from the March price!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Options
    @supermom83 Alzheimer's runs on my dads side of the family with cruel consistency, my grandpa died this March from it and it was a long and terrible process. I wish I had good advice - all I can say is that it is so horrific to watch someone you love robbed of their memory and personality and eventually will to live and you will go through a complete gambit of emotions and problems, and that is completely normal. All I can say is prepare yourself by getting a good internal and external support network. Be prepared for days of unexplainable anger, days of complete despondency, and never ever feel guilty if you need to make the right but difficult choice for your family and mom. I do not envy what you are going to go through and if you ever need an ear to vent too, you have mine and my complete empathy. 
  • Options
    cssme13 said:
    cssme13 said:
    Cheerleader is a Trump supporter, person bashing her is anti-trump and was just nasty. Like I said disagreeing is fine and providing proper sources for disagreements is great but telling someone they are stupid and wrong because you can quote a satirical news site is not acceptable. It escalated to the point where non Trump supporter suggested the cheerleader be a victim of sexual assault then her views might change. 

Edit to add that she posted a couple articles from a satirical site that any person with common sense could see were for pure entertainment purposes, I went back to see which one exactly but she deleted all her comments.
    I was curious about the fake news the anti-trump person posted, but yeah, agree that kind of behavior is wrong on both sides!
  • Options
    @satsumasandlemons I wish I could remember exactly which one she used but it was like 2 in the morning and I should've been in bed instead of arguing on Facebook. 

• Options
    @supermom83 so sorry to hear about your mom. I worked in long term care with both dementia and alzheimer patient's. It is really tough on families, there are lots of great support networks both online and in most communities. The families that took advantage of these networks seemed to have much more patience with their family members and also a much better understanding of what care was necessary and appropriate. I was shocked at what better advocates they were for their family members. I think it's a great first step that you are getting involved at an early stage and highly recommend seeking out a support network to help you with the transition to care taking and/or finding the safest living arrangement for your mom. 
  • Options
    Ok, so mine is more of an early monday bitchfest. I hate living with MIL. This is the woman who insists I put son in snowsuit rated for -20 degrees before I put him in carseat, and that's in a car that is 80 degree. I let my son watch finding Nemo in the bedroom and retreat in there to get away from her and when I let him out to go play with his toys in the living room which he spends hours out there doing every day. She says to him "oh, so your mom finally let you escape". Is that really necessary? And she keeps buying pork! 

Okay, so I am a cat person, but we have dogs. I love my dogs, but if they are not put out often enough,  they will have an occasional accident. Like they piss on the area rug in the room that they are kept in, because MIL doesn't want them running around because they are big and run into her. She has arthritis in her legs, and is obese so tends to waddle and is easily thrown off balance. So that room smelled so bad for a couple days before I found the spot where my female dog peed. While MIL was in the shower for 30 minutes I vacuumed and then scrubbed with spray and wash and then sprayed pet deodorizer on it and scrubbed it again. The whole damn rug, just to be sure. You should have seen how filthy that yellow towel was when I got through.

And NOW because MIL is being snarky, she swears that there is no way that I actually cleaned there within the 30 minutes she took to take a shower, and simply sprayed febreze on the carpet to make it smell better.  She swears the stink (which is no longer there) burns her eyes, and now I have to do it AGAIN, likely while she watches. Like BITCH, there is no way you can cover the smell of piss with febreze, it was obviously cleaned. She does everything (dishes, vacuuming, mopping) sitting down on a chair. I don't sit on a chair, I get on my hands and knees, so it doesn't take me THIRTY MINUTES TO CLEAN A DAMN AREA RUG.