July 2017 Moms
Options

Randoms 2.0

Re: Randoms 2.0

• Options
    @kerils Honestly I would buy the diapers as you need them.  Its really hard to predict how many you will need and equally hard to predict what size your LO will need.  You might stock up on a ton of newborn size and your LO ends up in size 1 overnight...or you might have a tiny baby who stays in NB for a long time.  

Also, if you do end up with extras you can either return/exchange them or if you can afford it donate them to a diaper bank. 
  • Options
    kerils said:
    The internet is failing me as per usual. I'm only using disposable diapers for about the first two weeks, just to make my life a little easier in the beginning. I know the average is 10-14 diapers a day for newborns, but does this count for those first couple days before my milk comes in? Basically, if I'm only buying enough disposables for the first two weeks, how many diapers do I really need? 
    I have no idea about what your situation will be like, however even in the hospital my son went through a diaper every 90 minutes or so. Roughly everytime he was on the breast he would poop. My colostrum was in full force by the end of the first day, think copious amounts of yellow milk. It really depends on the mom, however like pp said, take as many as you can from the hospital, it isn't stealing, they bill your insurance for it and  I would personally buy two big boxes. Remember huggies run slightly larger than pampers, but in my opinion, they are a better diaper from 3 months onwards for those using disposables and not cloth. Also, I had a couple blueberry diapers that adjusted down to newborn size, and loved them!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm freakin out today because I don't 'feel' pregnant?!?! I was never like this with DS but based on today I feel so normal I'm freaked out as hell! Why do I do this to myself?! 
  • Options
    MrsLa3 said:
    I haven't even gotten the rest of my W-2s. 
    Totally off topic but I think ur ams account isn't blocked anymore. I was looking at some older posts and it doesn't show your blocked your original DP shows up 
  • Options
    @Xath so jealous. We have our meeting with our accountant right before we go for our anatomy scan.  Hopefully we have a great scan and that will outweigh the misery of talking about taxes.
  • Options
    @xath since you are done with yours, can you come do mine?

Add me to the jealous list.
  • Options
    @Xath Whoa, it's still January.  You're superwoman.

Freelance musician here so I always have to make sense of a lovely stack of random 1099s from whatever states DH and I happened to be stationed in that year, oy!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    XathXath member
    edited January 2017
    Oh man @OperaSingerMommy that must be rough. I got my first 1099-MISC from Spoonflower royalties this year, and it added a whole level of complexity to the taxes that pretty much outweighed the royalties. :/

Maybe this is a FFFC, but I get some sort of great satisfaction out of doing my taxes every year, and the earlier I can get them done the happier I am.  I think this is a personal record for us; we just happened to get all of the paperwork in a very timely manner.  

I also found that the secret to making taxes a happier time is to claim 0 deductions on my paychecks through the year.  Yes, I realize that's like giving the government a free loan.  But I like knowing that barring some sort of terrible financial debacle, we'll almost always get a nice refund.  It's something to look forward to. And it's also like forced savings.  We're better at making smart decisions about what to do with our refund "chunk" once/year than we would if that money was just small additions to each paycheck.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @Xath I used to feel that way until I started taking a significant amount of work on a contract basis. I diligently put money aside for taxes but it is alway as a punch in the gut to get the final total of what I owe. In the past my way of dealing with this was getting really drunk before wiring the money over to the IRS-- obviously that is not going to work this year. Lol.
  • Options
    A mom in my moms group from DD legitimately just asked if people who went to the gym had their SO stay with LO or if they just leave them at home since they're sleeping. 

NOT KIDDING.

She thinks that it would be ok for her to go to her apartment gym and workout since she's so close and the baby is sleeping anyway.

WTF?! 
  • Options
    LuLiLaEv said:
    A mom in my moms group from DD legitimately just asked if people who went to the gym had their SO stay with LO or if they just leave them at home since they're sleeping. 

NOT KIDDING.

She thinks that it would be ok for her to go to her apartment gym and workout since she's so close and the baby is sleeping anyway.

WTF?! 
    Ok, I'm choosing to believe that her apartment gym is like just below her apartment or something. In that case, I don't think it would be so bad. Not much different than someone with a home gym in the basement and baby sleeping on the 2nd floor. When I lived in an apartment, the gym was the next building over, and I probably would not have been ok with that. 

FFFC: One time we left our sleeping child at home to go to a holiday party at the neighbor's house. (Actually, DS came to the part with us, then we went home and put him to bed and came back). The video monitor still worked from the neighbor's house, so we were comfortable with it. 
  • Options
    LuLiLaEvLuLiLaEv member
    edited January 2017
    @AdaByron It's not. She said it was a "short walk" away and she doesn't have monitor so she would have no way to check on the baby while she was gone. 
    That was my biggest issue with it.

ETA: also the babies are 15/16 months so not tiny babies, toddlers that could potentially wake up and get out of their crib...
  • Options
    LuLiLaEv said:
    @AdaByron It's not. She said it was a "short walk" away and she doesn't have monitor so she would have no way to check on the baby while she was gone. 
    That was my biggest issue with it.

ETA: also the babies are 15/16 months so not tiny babies, toddlers that could potentially wake up and get out of their crib...
    Sheesh.... That's idiotic then. I am not comfortable being out of ear shot of my kid for any reason at any time. 
  • Options
    LuLiLaEv said:

NOT KIDDING.

WTF?! 
    My jaw almost dropped to the ground reading that!
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    LuLiLaEv said:

NOT KIDDING.

WTF?! 
    Hmmm I've had a similar dilemma. It's in the building and we can see her in the monitor. It's just that DH lacks motivation to go by himself and he's really overweight and needs it.... We never actually did that but were wondering how terrible it would be. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    plumpous said:
    LuLiLaEv said:

NOT KIDDING.

WTF?! 
    Hmmm I've had a similar dilemma. It's in the building and we can see her in the monitor. It's just that DH lacks motivation to go by himself and he's really overweight and needs it.... We never actually did that but were wondering how terrible it would be. 
    Honestly, in your case I don't think it's terrible at all. Not that much different than someone who just lives in a really big house, except that there's a little more public access, but if your apartment is locked and you can see her in the monitor, I think it's totally fine. As long as you're comfortable with the amount of time it would take you to reach her if she cried. 
  • Options
    LuLiLaEv said:

NOT KIDDING.

WTF?! 
    This is what the type of situation I imagined when that mom said she left the house and was gone for 1 minute or less and her house was completely engulfed in flames and her infant daughter dead.
  • Options
    LuLiLaEv said:

NOT KIDDING.

WTF?! 
    This is what the type of situation I imagined when that mom said she left the house and was gone for 1 minute or less and her house was completely engulfed in flames and her infant daughter dead.
    I just wanted to say that is the exact reason I could never leave a baby in a house alone, even across the street! I know it's extreme but I just imagine, robbery, kidnapping, fire, or any other random unknown that has even the 0.00003% chance of happening!!! I could never forgive myself if something like that happened. 
  • Options
    Lol maybe this should be my FFFC but our in-laws live across the street (about 50 feet from our front door) and during the summer there were a few times we sat in their back yard having dinner and enjoying the fire pit after the babies had gone asleep. Our house was always in full view (obviously) and I'd run over every 15 minutes to check on them/the house, but we did it and I know once I had to run up to our store to open the door (about three blocks away) for a delivery - I was gone a total of 5 minutes but I was not going to wake both babies up and get them in the car for 5 minutes. 
  • Options
    @plumpous I agree with @adabyron I think that's a different situation than leaving your baby to go somewhere else with no monitor and no way of making sure everything is ok.
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    LuLiLaEv said:

NOT KIDDING.

WTF?! 
    Same.  My ears actually got really hot (anxiety/stress response) - and I closed the app on my phone 'to process' what I think I just read.  This stuff must be made up - my brain literally cannot compute.
  • Options
    Back in sept 15 a FFFC was that a mom left her newborn infant in the car seat in the store parking lot while she ran into the store. I didn't flame her for it because she said she was ashamed. But whoa I could never forget it because it bothered me so much. 

Leaving your baby where you can still monitor them is one thing. Not being able to do that and being a distance away is grounds for calling CPS. 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited January 2017
    Ufff now this reminds me.... I remember I was really tipsy at a winery and this couple came with a new born baby and some friends. The baby was crying a lot (very loudly) and the father was patting the kid really hard and that really irked me.

I kept watching and then the baby was still screaming and then the father used TWO fingers one on each eye and put them on the baby's lids and kept pushing down his eye lids four five times. I almost cried i went upto the table and asked if I could hold the baby and that the father was being really unreasonable. He obviously got offended and said it was his nap time and that's how he sleeps.

I still think  I would have interfered if I was sober. They left their baby with me for half an hour (I'm a stranger) and just chugged down two bottles of wine right in front of me. 
    Im still really traumatized by that day. It actually made me delay my baby planning by a whole year! 

Edit: needed to add words.
  • Options
    dancegurl1118dancegurl1118 member
    edited January 2017
    Do I wish I could run to the store while DD is dead to the world during her naps (you can set your watch to her nap schedule)? Has leaving her in the car while I run into the gas station crossed my mind? Hell yes. I may be lazy, but I have common sense. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    @BusyZee How awful. I'm shaken up just reading that. Good for you for intervening, but I'm upset to think what life was/is like for that poor baby when there weren't other people around. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @manillabar but I think she meant the apartment gym. Leads me to think it's in the building? Although without a monitor I think it's crazy.

But funny story: my aunt and uncle went to the movies and left my cousin who was 1 at the time all alone. A neighbor heard him cry and rushed to the movies and plucked them out! Lmao! This was in the 1950's and my aunt was like 19 at the time but man! 

@BusyZee that's crazy! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    oheliza44oheliza44 member
    edited January 2017
    *Possible TW*

I was listening to an episode of 'the longest shortest time' on the at home from the gym. The episode was about traumatic birth injuries. Normally I'm not very squeamish but I started to get so nauseated and lightheaded and had to pull over to throw up. Wtf? If that is how I respond just listening to a discussion on traumatic births how am I going to get get through my own, should that happen? Ugh.

edit- words suck. 
  • Options
    We stayed in a hotel while visiting friends. After the little one went down for the night, we snuck down to the lobby and hung out with them but only because the monitor worked from there. I'd say as long as you're checking in occasionally or can have the monitor, you're fine. Across the street or next door for 15 minutes at a time would also work for me because we normally let her cry for about 10 minutes before going in anyway. (She's a great self soother but usually takes about 3-7 minutes.)
  • Options
    AdaByron said:
    I'm pretty disappointed I missed when the troll came back in the "what do you think my baby is" thread. I'm assuming she said something pretty nasty?
    I missed it too. Looks like it was nasty and then BAM violations everywhere. 
  • Options
    @yellow1daisy thanks for the recap :)
  • Options
    Totally missed the troll thread ! FOMO is real, people. 
    Re above scary story - my uncle's girlfriend and mother of their child totally pulls cr@p like that - makes me super ragey just to think about it. She does this to their child who is 2.5 and also her son (my uncle's stepson) who lives with them too and is 7. Both boys are very very active and it makes me so so angry just to think about it. But I've also gotten into heated arguments with her over other stuff before (she thinks vaccines cause autism and are evil... guess how I feel about that). I love my uncle but I'm glad to live on a different continent - I would otherwise have significant anger issues 
  • Options
    Me on the troll thread just now.