August 2017 Moms
Options

UO 1/5

New year, new unpopular opinions! Offend me ladies.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: UO 1/5

• Options
    @Nyx  hahaha...give us time.  We're all still in that First Tri fatigue to be getting all crazy. :p

Apparently my UO today is that I adore McDonald's chicken nuggets. My entire office thinks they're nasty. I love them. Pink slime and all. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Wife. Mom. Doula. Photographer.
    BFP #1- 12/26/2011-  DS Born 9/7/12
    BFP#2- 10/16/2014- DD Born 7/2/15
    SURPRISE! BFP#3- 11/29/16-  EDD 8/6/17
    Formerly MrsAB1316

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @DoulaTog13 I can't remember if you're already a mom (on mobile, can't see siggies) but if not, you're in luck. Your kid will probably want McDonalds all the time. I hate McDonalds and will only get one of three things there (fish, southwest salad, or Egg McMuffin). 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I hate that this board has so many random posts. Just to find the Thursday Ticker from a week ago to copy I had to go page three. I'm sure it'll all work itself out as we go along but the board is so cluttered and random. 

Another UO, I don't get numbed for dental work. I only do gas for cavities and the like. My dad is another patient who doesn't get numbed. Thanks for your pain tolerance, dad!  Don't worry, I was out for my wisdom teeth. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    @bumpybump  Yep.  I'm baking baby #3.  lol...  My kids love McDonald's. Which is convenient because that's about all the energy I have to "cook" these days.   
    Pregnancy Ticker

Formerly MrsAB1316

• Options
    @bumpybump I am with you on hating the amount of posts this board has! It is so hard to feel connected to people when there are tons of new one off posts a day! 

My UO is that I really dont like Chobani or any other greek yogurt!  I think the thickness makes it super hard to eat and it leaves this odd taste in my mouth. I prefer regular yogurt or drinkable yogurt! 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • Options
    At the moment I don't have a UO, but I do come from several years on TK where it's usually faster paced with a new board per topic per day. So TB doesn't mind if you post on a board a week old just because you have something to add? Like, if we discussed dreams last week and want to keep discussing crazy dreams, just keep the old thread alive?
    Just getting used to the culture here :)  I do like random chit chat but am used to a culture where changing topics in a thread is frowned upon- called derailing. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My UO - go ahead and eat the deli sandwich, drink the coffee with ALL the caffeine, splurge on some good sushi. No booze, no illicit substances, and you should really quit smoking (I did, so I know how much it sucks!) Many of the pregnancy warnings come from a time before the sanitation and refrigeration practices of today. Don't eat at skeezy places, don't do the stuff you KNOW will hurt you.
  • Options
    @CoachBeckyCooper
    I have been dyyyying for sushi. I love sushi. When I read that you were supposed to avoid it because a) mercury [but you don't eat enough of it anyway for that to be a problem!] and b) it could give you food poisoning, I was like, ok so I can have good quality sushi like once every few weeks that won't give me food poisoning. My doctor said "cooked" sushi but I've found that rather hard to find. Not all the restaurants indicate what's really raw and what's cooked. Sigh. 

And heck yeah I drink caffeinated coffee. I need very little of it now to wake me up anyway. Easy to stay under that 200mg or whatever is the limit. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You can stick to California Rolls or a few spicy shrimp rolls @DeansGirl14 or if the place you are ordering from has consistent A+ ratings from the health department, looks and smells clean, and quite frankly, is more expensive... a spicy tuna roll or the like is not going to hurt you.
  • Options
    @Nyx   agreed that it is annoying when people just don't check first to see if it's discussed.  But, that being said...it doesn't annoy me enough to care if they do it or not.   I just move on if I'm not interested in reading it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Formerly MrsAB1316

• Options
    My UO- All the baby names I see are the same ones that everybody was picking last year when I had my daughter. Everyone keeps saying they love how original their choice is... I guess they aren't talking to all the other expectant and new mothers out there about their name choices lol. I have two friends who named their daughters Lorelai and so many Hadley's, Arlo's, Penelope's, Jameson's... I feel like people should just name their kids what they love instead of trying to be so clever and come up with something they think nobody else will use. Or maybe it's just coincidence that everybody loves these names and all the Sarah's and Ashley's are a thing of the past lol. The names DH and I have picked out are in no way "original" as they sound like common names... but to our kids' generation they will probably be the only ones with their names since everyone else is trying to come up with the same "original" names.
  • Options
    @DoulaTog13 we have nearly the same ticker... I was scrolling through on my computer and thought to myself, "I don't remember posting this!" lol then I realized my children's birthdates had changed... gonna go spice it up!
  • Options
    @SpotConlon Just died laughing at your post. The Prego spaghetti sauce announcements....I just can't. Some unique announcements can be really cute though, if they're not over the top.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I hate most pregnancy announcements. Why is it a fake movie poster? Why are your dogs going to be siblings with a human child? Why are you making a bad pun with Prego spaghetti sauce? Why am I vomiting at my computer screen right now?
    I totally agree! I'm trying to think of something non-vomit inducing for when it's time for us to say something publicly. My husband wants to do that thing with running shoes- picture ours with a tiny pair. I may just let him have his fun and do that, even though-- after I call my closest friends [or see them in person] and verbally announce the news-- I'd rather just post a FB update like, "Hi everyone! We're expecting Baby -- on August 3!" and call it a day. 
    It's like it's a competition who can be the most creative, or the cutest, or out-do each other. At age 33 and 11 years on Facebook I've seen it all. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @CoachBeckyCooper
    I agree with the deli meat as long as you are careful about it, you are good.  I had a cold  turkey sub before I remembered it was a no-no and I adored every bite.  My OB's office says to cook the deli meat first if possible.  It's a good thing I like toasted and hot subs.  I even used prosciutto in a recipe the other day since the recipe called for the meat to be cooked.  I think as long as the place isn't sketchy you are fine for an occasional sandwich.  

Personally I am avoiding the raw sushi.  It kills me because I love a tofu, tuna (raw) and avocado that my favorite sushi place carries.  I also love tuna rolls, but am just sticking to the cooked stuff for now.  
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @DeansGirl14  Right? Leggings are so cold unless you get them fleece lined. Why are women's clothes so thin and cold?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @DoulaTog13 - I love McDonald's chicken nuggets too. I love their McPick Two for $2 - 8 chicken nuggets and double the dipping sauce :) 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Me: 24 DH: 25
    BFP: 5/31/14 EDD: 2/14/15 MC: 7/6/14
    BFP: 12/11/16 EDD: 8/20/17 

• Options
    Lauradi1010Lauradi1010 member
    edited January 2017
    @DeansGirl14 & @SpotConlon

If I wore regular leggings right now I would freeze. I Iove my fleece lined ones.  

That being said, I think all leggings all the time is a bit much for me as a 37 year old woman.  

If you want something snug why not go with skinny leg trousers or something with a bit more structure.

Btw, some woman can pull it off and look great everyday.  If you are one of those woman all the more power to you.  I know I can't pull it off everyday.  Maybe that's why I don't get it.  

Edit** addition
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I suppose another UO is that I don't mind the one off posts.   I like coming on and seeing new threads started. If I log in on Monday and it's the same stuff I read on Friday...I get bored.   I like faster moving boards because I feel it gives a more diverse atmosphere.  I'm not a big fan of the "new" structure.   When I was on S12, it was different. July 15 started to do the more structured post schedule and I found myself not returning after a few weeks.  That and the people who tried too hard to create drama. 
    When I was on O12, we had the usual weekly posts (hdbd/uo/fffc) but I'm still getting used to so much structure. When I first join this board, I thought it was a bit much... still kind of do. 

I love some drama. That thread about a fb group that some admin came and said if people keep commenting they'll be removed. Is that the norm for drama these days? 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

DD: 10/23/2012

#teamzoey #defeatdipg #pumpkinpatch2012

• Options
    @clrgrdfrk My June14 group was really structured and they flamed anyone who didn't follow structure from the get-go.  Drama-wise, the admins are way more sensitive now.  When I was in TTGP, basically if you weren't "welcoming" (which is totally dictated by the admins), you get warnings and I believe you get three and then are banned.  But they did/do often come and shut down threads with some generic type about whatever the topic was and close the thread.  I must have missed that they actually closed one of our threads.

I also believe that the group will be faster moving if people actually interacted with one another.  Like @littlebug2010 said, people are starting their one-off posts and then not even interacting with anyone.  So many people come and put up a comment and leave, not caring to answer anyone's questions or commenting to connect at all.  If people would actually read other's comments and react/respond to them instead of starting SS posts, we'd have a lot more movement.

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    bumpybump said:
    I hate that this board has so many random posts. Just to find the Thursday Ticker from a week ago to copy I had to go page three. I'm sure it'll all work itself out as we go along but the board is so cluttered and random. 

Another UO, I don't get numbed for dental work. I only do gas for cavities and the like. My dad is another patient who doesn't get numbed. Thanks for your pain tolerance, dad!  Don't worry, I was out for my wisdom teeth. 
    We can have a randoms thread for each week 
  • Options
    @bumpybump I was in June 14 too but mostly lurked until after DS was born! 

My UO is that deli turkey meat is the food that makes my nausea go away the fastest. So I eat it, without heating it up. FWIW I get the freshly sliced meat from the deli at my grocery store.
  • Options
    I like structure, but I agree a random board is a good idea. 

@Rgriffin91, yes! Children have no imagination these days. My niece is 3 and needs constant one on one. It drives me insane. And she interrupts everyone and yells their name louder and louder till someone responds.
  • Options
    @BrunetteBabe722 if you want to start a random thread for a week, feel free.  We can see how it goes.  I can add it to the original post too.

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    My UO is that when you tell someone you are pregnant they should be happy for you.    I finally told my mom today, sent her a picture of my 13 month old twins holding an ultrasound pic, and she said "you'll be busy" and at least it's not my life".   Thanks Mom.    
  • Options
    My UO is that I don't mind the random posts either. But I have to say, I am scared to ever start a new topic for fear of getting in trouble. So I plan to only reply to posts and never start them!!

And second - I really hate saying "Happy New Year". It is like nails on a chalkboard for me.
  • Options
    I completely agree on the Lularoe comment. #overrated
  • Options
    My UO is I HATE the word "pregnant." It sounds like such an awful diagnosis. 

Secondly, much like many of you hating goofy announcements, I hate maternity photos. No way would you EVER catch me half naked wrapped in a sheet with my belly hanging out. I don't find myself attractive in the least way. 
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I'm a drama llama and look forward to the trolls that will inevitably come around. This is more of a fffc, but it's what brought me back to TB.

the structured posted outlined in the intro thread did give me pause. Spoiler: randos will never read through threads. 

I'm slightly concerned that excess caffeine is being placed in the same category as possible listeria contamination, but I'll make like Kermit and sip my tea. 

UO of my own, I don't understand the hype behind the big lebowski. It's the worst coen bros film IMO.